or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen - Page 5

post #161 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The way to discredit the poll is to mention the flawed sampling. Properly sampled, 46k votes would be plenty more than enough to get a good confidence. One major problem is that the audience is self-selected, as such, not properly sampled.

The way to discredit the poll as biased in favor of SMALL screen is to note that it does not even have an option where iPhone has the same size, but the screen is 4"+ which is geometrically feasible up to 4.6".
post #162 of 168
These polls have been done quite a few times but the problem is there's never enough people that take them. I wish Apple would send out questioners, that is the only way we are going to find out for sure. When CNET did theirs back in January, 61% wanted a 4" or larger screen though. I think you'll find this to be true with every poll. The market it so flooded with large screen phones I'm sure your average iPhone user has size envy. We will just have to wait to see what Apple has for us but I would bet money that the next iPhone will be larger if not an additional model.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #163 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

These polls have been done quite a few times but the problem is there's never enough people that take them. I wish Apple would send out questioners, that is the only way we are going to find out for sure. When CNET did theirs back in January, 61% wanted a 4" or larger screen though. I think you'll find this to be true with every poll. The market it so flooded with large screen phones I'm sure your average iPhone user has size envy. We will just have to wait to see what Apple has for us but I would bet money that the next iPhone will be larger if not an additional model.

As JeffDM succinctly points out a self-selected poll is inherently untrustworthy.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #164 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The way to discredit the poll as biased in favor of SMALL screen is to note that it does not even have an option where iPhone has the same size, but the screen is 4"+ which is geometrically feasible up to 4.6".

I don't think that's a big deal. You may consider that option feasible, but I don't think it's a realistic option.
post #165 of 168
Maybe it's also worth pointing out that the people claiming a mania for big screens seem to be talking about Android type 4.5" and up, handset size be damned. Whereas that poll shows the vast majority of respondents, insofar as they might like a bigger screen, want it within the current iPhone,s envelope or "slightly larger."

Which comports with what most of the "small screen" folks are saying-- that they have nothing against more screen real estate, but not at the expense of jumbo sized handsets.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #166 of 168
Quote:

I don't think that's a big deal. You may consider that option feasible, but I don't think it's a realistic option.

Still hope that Apple will come up with some magic as they did with every prior release.
Otherwise what would be the "magic" feature of the next iPhone? I do not think LTE alone can be considered as one nowadays.
post #167 of 168
Quote:

Still hope that Apple will come up with some magic as they did with every prior release.
Otherwise what would be the "magic" feature of the next iPhone? I do not think LTE alone can be considered as one nowadays.

We'll see. I liked some of the "iPhone 5" concepts. I think somewhere up to 4" screen and slightly increased length and width is reasonable, beyond that, people increasingly lose out on other human factors considerations, notably, single handed operation and pocketability.
post #168 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

We'll see. I liked some of the "iPhone 5" concepts. I think somewhere up to 4" screen and slightly increased length and width is reasonable, beyond that, people increasingly lose out on other human factors considerations, notably, single handed operation and pocketability.

All this talk of how Apple must increase the display size takes away from what I think is more compelling; what will be in the 6th gen iPhone?

Double the storage? I don't think so. Leave that for 2013 after the iPad gets it.
LTE? I think so, and using the 28nm lithography of the MDM9615. That means no need to have a huge phone for LTE and good battery life.
Cortex-A15 based systems? I think so. The time seems right.
Better GPU? Perhaps not drastically because it won't be until next year that Img Tech is ready. I also don't see a need for more cores.
Newer battery tech? I don't see any evidence of that.
Higher pixel camera? It's been a trend but is it really necessary? Better optics all around.
New case design? I think so. 2 years with the same design seems to make sense.
Better display? Not higher resolution but better display seems likely.
Better mics and speakers? I hope so.
NFC? This is probably the only place I think Apple could show everyone how it should be done.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen