or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen - Page 3

post #81 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Read my post. The screen size is feature phone size, obviously the phone itself is not a feature phone.

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.

How is an OS demolishing a device? If you are going to compare OSes then why exclude iOS for iPad and iPod Touch. You're clearly including all Android activations so why be so disingenuous with your calculations. Bottom line: Apple is selling the most smartphones of any model on the market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #82 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apples in for a surprise if the next IPhone only had a 3.5 inch screen. Sales will be hurt big time as many people will choose to keep their Iphone4 or 3s and not upgrade

And it is no big surprise, that you will be again completely wrong about that matter. Only a fraction of a percent is interrested in a bigger screen. More people would even prefere a smaller iPhone. The overwhelming majority just loves the 3.5" display as you can easily see in every tech stat. So please give us a break and buy your galaxy something and be happy. No need that Apple is following this path.
post #83 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

Ok, let's bookmark this post and reveal it when Apple does it, I feel it would be much sooner than forever.
post #84 of 168
If Apple really were to keep the 3.5 inch screen that would make my decision making process easy. I would just keep my iPhone 3GS for ANOTHER year. I really thing a 4 inch screen in needed at this point. I used a Samsung Focus with a 4 inch screen and really enjoyed the larger display.

I guess Apple (if true) will just keep on trucking the way always does without listening to its customer base at all.
post #85 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

I've got that now. thing called the "iPad".
post #86 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

... I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but I don't want the form size to change. ... My friends that had (Android phones) have either got rid of them or complained ... that it was too big to hold. It was nice to use with 2 hands, but for phone calls, it got uncomfortable to hold. If anything, they should do an edge to edge screen - in the same form factor.

This is actually likely (the same form factor with an edge to edge screen), but it's also very likely that they will keep the screen the same size as they've had ample opportunities to change it and they haven't yet.

In other words, if the next iPhone has an edge to edge screen, it's more likely that they will take advantage of that to make the phone smaller instead of larger. By my calculations, the iPhone could easily be a quarter inch smaller in width as well as height and still keep the exact same screen, if it were edge to edge instead of how it is now.

Consumers are fools for the most part anyway. When it comes down to it, they buy what they are told to buy and like what they are told to like. You just can't tell them straight out because then they will buy or like the opposite out of sheer contrariness.

Thus, advertising. \

People like big phones now simply because they have been marketed to them as the 'next big thing' (pun intended.)

If Apple defies all the critics and actually comes out with a *smaller* iPhone next time, everyone will go on about how cool it is and within a year or so Samsung will start to come out with smaller phones as well.
post #87 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If Apple really were to keep the 3.5 inch screen that would make my decision making process easy. I would just keep my iPhone 3GS for ANOTHER year. I really thing a 4 inch screen in needed at this point. I used a Samsung Focus with a 4 inch screen and really enjoyed the larger display.

I guess Apple (if true) will just keep on trucking the way always does without listening to its customer base at all.

Apple may not listen to you, but they listen to where the money flows. And any sales statistic shows, that they are spot on. If people need a bigger screen on a mobile device, they use the iPad. An iPhone with a > 4" screen will not arrive until the humen species mutates to a >20% bigger and taller size.
post #88 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


If Apple defies all the critics and actually comes out with a *smaller* iPhone next time, everyone will go on about how cool it is and within a year or so Samsung will start to come out with smaller phones as well.

This I can see coming. It wasn't all to long, when all the pre smartphones became smaller and smaller.
Well I hope the iPhone never get's significantly smaller than the actual 3.5" display. Just saying.
post #89 of 168
I predict Apple to add only an extra 0.2 of an inch to the screen.

Shifting from a 3:2 ratio to a 16:10 with the same width would give a 1024x640 resolution, and add exactly a centimetre to the height of the screen.

It would be really easy to implement software changes, would be a good standard for manufacture, and would leave space for camera/speaker, home button on the front.

But would it be enough?
post #90 of 168
To get a 4-inch screen at 16:10, for example, they'd have to make space 8mm top and bottom, 2mm each side (I think?). This could be edge-to-edge on a slightly smaller iPhone.

The screen, to minimise developer impact to height, would presumably be at 302ppi.

Hmmm....
post #91 of 168
Keep the phone the exact same dimensions (L and W) as they are perfect. Make the phone thinner, but not a teardrop design as it is too hard to hold onto (I feel like I will drop my iPod touch all the time). Then, extend the screen to the edges of the phone, reducing the unused space to maximize screen area.
And make it gorilla glass (not aluminum)
post #92 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Apple may not listen to you, but they listen to where the money flows. And any sales statistic shows, that they are spot on. If people need a bigger screen on a mobile device, they use the iPad. An iPhone with a > 4" screen will not arrive until the humen species mutates to a >20% bigger and taller size.

The potential buyers say they want a larger iPhone display, the stated opinion of over 86% of respondents to the 9to5 poll on what size screen they would prefer on the next iPhone.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/poll-w...bigger-screen/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #93 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I know Apple is stubborn and doesn't like to be seen to please the crowd, but I really can't believe they won't give the next iPhone a modern screen size.

You mean "trendy screen size."

If Apple was all about following trends, they'd be selling crap like 7" Android tablets and 5" smartphones and every size in beween. And plastic netbooks at rock bottom prices.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #94 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Look at the poll above, only 13% agree with you.

To be fair, 9to5 isn't exactly a source of Apple fans. And you'd only get a slightly more accurate result doing the same poll here.

Which is why Apple doesn't do any outside polling. People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #95 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I wonder what will be in ios 6 more then the next iphone, i wouldnt mind a slightly bigger 3.7 screen and aluminum back like the ipad, but im in no rush to get rid of my 4s

I feel certain it's mostly a set of fairly vocal nerds who give the impression on forums that there's this vast hunger for "Phablets" out there in the real world. Otherwise people would be standing in line to buy Samsung's version of them..... ...I mean it's certainly a real niche market, but not the sweet spot by any means.

Not that real evolution including new mutant species will quit happening in the iOS world, but not to the next main model this year. (I don't utterly rule out an expansion of the line, but will be mildly surprised. The iPhone 4 at $0-49 and 4S at $99 should hold the fort for another year.)

My vote's for 3.7-3.8 in 2012 - same pixels - narrower but not non-existent bezel - and so bits of a millimeter added here and there to accommodate new radios, more battery and maybe upgraded cam optics - and to give just a nod to the "bigger screen/better" crowd - but mainly sold by a fresh sheet Johnny Ive do-over and pleasant surprises in iOS 6.

Not sure if it'll get the A5X, bigger, hungrier and the iPhone already runs retina graphics. Maybe a new (A6-ish?) CPU on a smaller die process??

Still and all, Apple's got every mainstream display size from 9.7 to 27" well enough covered and it seems unlikely the world's largest and best funded company will forever eschew playing in any size and form factor from 3.5 to 9.7" forever. That's a lot of niches to cede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.
From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!

How about a simple answer to this question: Couldn't Apple have - or couldn't an aftermarket company - offer a higher capacity charger to keep the charge time at last year's rate - without undue wear and tear on the battery?

You'd think they would've preserved the vaunted quality of the "user experience" in this area if they could have easily. Or is it just another of those maintain the $499 entry level AND maintain the margins things?

However if technically feasible, the only downside I can see would be few extra ounces on the charger (and the sad fact Apple DOESN'T offer it, so a whole new charger to buy, with the only consolation that a spare charger for an iDevice can come in handy - as I know from experience.)

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #96 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

9to5mac.com is not a source of Apple fans? Since when.

Since the actual Apple fans that read and comment there perpetually get downvoted 1. for ever questioning Apple ever for any reason AND 2. for not wanting Apple's devices to turn into Android devices, no matter how idiotic and impossible the story claiming new features is.

Quote:
Either a 4" or larger iPhone or back to Android.

Better start picking one out, then.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #97 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.

Then you're crazy. My wife's 4S runs circles around my 4. Imagine the difference in the next version. You have to be kidding.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #98 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Then you're crazy. My wife's 4S runs circles around my 4. Imagine the difference in the next version. You have to be kidding.

Ah, welcome to the other side! See, over here, that stuff just doesn't matter. It's all about a single feature: having the idea put in your head that you want the feature, demanding that feature, not getting that feature, being furious at Apple because you were "entitled" to that feature, finally getting the feature in a future product, and then being furious with Apple because the feature has inherently changed how other features worked or doesn't work very well because you didn't want a different, actually important feature.

Right now it's "a larger screen". Before it was the vague thought of "a better camera", but that has mostly died down now.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #99 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What phone bested Apple's 37m last quarter? If I recall Samsung shipped 35m. And when it comes to being profitable in the phone space no one comes close to Apple. Samsung, Motorola and HTC can throw a bazillion phones out there to obtain high market share but Apple will enjoy the lions share of the profits.

It's absurd to compare Apple to just one single Android maker. The only comparison that matters is the amount of all iOS phones vs all Android phones, and in the case of the latter that obviously must include every Android device sold by Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony, Sharp, etc. The only Android devices you could reasonably leave off would be the Amazon and Barnes and Noble ones.

The point I was making originally is that when you look at the state of Android phones now, big screens dominate. Manufacturers wouldn't do that unless they believed that big screens increase sales, and therefore justify the cost of including them. Apple are still shipping very small screens in the iPhone, so they will have to weigh up the potential extra sales a big screen would give them, versus the increased costs.

I'd be shocked if Apple didn't conclude that larger screens equal more sales, but then again, Apple are pig headed and may well do their own thing regardless.
post #100 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The potential buyers say they want a larger iPhone display, the stated opinion of over 86% of respondents to the 9to5 poll on what size screen they would prefer on the next iPhone.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/poll-w...bigger-screen/

If potential buyers from Henry Ford's new venture were asked what they want, their reply would have been that they want a faster horse.

Apple has never really cared what their buyers want. Apple gives its buyers what they SHOULD want. And after people start using their new Apple device, they realize just how correct Apple always is. Customers would skate to where the puck used to be. Apple skates to where the puck is GOING to be.

Apple will never cave in to uninformed consumer wants. When Apple lets the unwashed masses dictate every design move, they will cease to be the same company. They would have released the iPad with OSX, for example, and it would have sucked shit. If Apple increases the screen size it will be because Apple knows best what is best for us. If Apple keeps the screen size that they determined is best, it will not be a surprise. Soon after using it, everyone except iHaters will realize that Apple Knows Best.
post #101 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's absurd to compare Apple to just one single Android maker. The only comparison that matters is the amount of all iOS phones vs all Android phones, and in the case of the latter that obviously must include every Android device sold by Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony, Sharp, etc. The only Android devices you could reasonably leave off would be the Amazon and Barnes and Noble ones.

Let me get this straight. Comparing platform to platform is unfair. Comparing manufacturer to manufacturer is unfair. But comparing manufacturer to platform makes sense to you?

Quote:
The point I was making originally is that when you look at the state of Android phones now, big screens dominate.

What is a big screen? 4.5"? Of the 850k activations per day how many of those are over 4.5"? I'm guessing very few because most of these activations are from cheap "feature phones" running Android.

Quote:
Manufacturers wouldn't do that unless they believed that big screens increase sales, and therefore justify the cost of including them.

Let's look at why they went with larger displays for their flagship phones (which sell less than their cheap phones). For starters, they invest much less in engineering so they can't pack as much stuff into the same space as Apple so a larger display has allowed them to pack in more stuff with less technical savvy. Second, Apple has completely eaten their lunch so they had to try to find a gimmicky angle to exploit.

It's the same thing with tablets, but reversed. When Apple made the iPad 10" they knew they couldn't compete head to head so they made a 7" tablet (which reduced their costs yet still cost the same or more than the iPad) and marketed it as being much more portable than the iPad. That hasn't worked out well for them either.

Quote:
Apple are still shipping very small screens in the iPhone, so they will have to weigh up the potential extra sales a big screen would give them, versus the increased costs.

if 5.65"^2 is very small then what is small, very medium, medium, very large and large. Surely you must has detailed the how and whys of each device based on display area user interests and needs. I'd like to know how to came to the conclusion that the iPhone simply isn't less than ideal for you, but less than ideal for everyone to the point that it's not the perfect size, a little small, or small... but very small.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #102 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's absurd to compare Apple to just one single Android maker. The only comparison that matters is the amount of all iOS phones vs all Android phones,

How does it make any sense to compare only one iOS phone to all Android phones?

Either compare the iPhone to one Android phone, or else compare all iOS devices with all Android devices. There are only two possible choices here. You need to pick one.
post #103 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


if 5.65"^2 is very small then what is small, very medium, medium, very large and large. Surely you must has detailed the how and whys of each device based on display area user interests and needs. I'd like to know how to came to the conclusion that the iPhone simply isn't less than ideal for you, but less than ideal for everyone to the point that it's not the perfect size, a little small, or small... but very small.

Good point. If he uses any descriptor at all, he must precisely define every possible descriptor. And he must have detailed knowledge of the hows and whys of every device based on display area and user interest.

That is the only thing that makes any sense at all. Not less than ideal sense, not a little small amount of sense, not small, not very medium or very large or medium large! That's just crazy talk!





/s
post #104 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).

so we all know you are the Brad Pitt type and understand you not wanting to 'look bad' with a 'big' phone up to your ear. really, no one gives a s*** how you look. get real.
you do have a point with 'using' the phone. 4" is about as big as apple will probably go unless they can work miracles with the size of the housing. very hard to work the big screen with one hand.
post #105 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I don't understand the hatred towards 16:9 displays, especially on a phone. I can see why you would be aganist it on a tablet, but on a phone, a 16:9 display makes the most sense.

Why? Because phones are naturally taller than they are wide; any other design would seem awkward. The iphone itself is 115.2 x 58.6 mm, about 2:1 or a 16:8 ratio. On a device dominated by a screen, you'll want the screen to mirror the physical dimensions of the device itself, and considering the physical dimensions of the iphone, a 16:9 screen is a much better fit than a 4:3. With a 4:3 screen, you either have to redesign the device to be square-ish, which would be awkward to use, especially with 1 hand, or you end up with a lot of under utilized space on the top and bottom, as is the case with the iphone.

So what purpose does a 16:9 serve in a phone? Better use of the physical space. For the same device dimensions, you get more vertical screen space, which can be useful for a bunch of reasons (less scrolling, dock taking up less of the screen to name a few)

the reason most here are anti 16:9 is because apple hasn't done it yet...when they do it will be proclaimed insanely great and 'revolutionary'
post #106 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the reason most here are anti 16:9 is because apple hasn't done it yet...when they do it will be proclaimed insanely great and 'revolutionary'

No, we don't like 16:9 because it's a size designed around media alone. 16:10 will always feel better to me, and that's just for computers, even.

We have proof positive 3:2 is good for phones.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #107 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.

Unless Apple listens to overwhelming customer feedback requesting a screen bigger than the current 3.5" display, then i guess a lot of people will sticking with their old iPhones.

A larger display say 4" or 4.5" is easily doable without needing to change the software. The only difference between an iPhone with such a display is that it gives you more screen real estate, it would require minimal software changes and apps wouldn't need to be redesigned.

The other nice change would be a thinner form factor. which might be doable if the device was wider and taller. I guess last year's mock ups were too good - they gave us unrealistic expectations.
post #108 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Given that, what is your objection to a 16:9 screen on a phone if implemented in such a way that the only difference between it and a 3:2 screen is additional vertical display estate?

That real estate is exactly the problem.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #109 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Wait, so you'd rather have a bunch of black glass on the front of your phone instead of a larger display?

I'd rather have a meaningful resolution that is visually appealing and doesn't relegate buttons and features to the rim.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #110 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's absurd to compare Apple to just one single Android maker. The only comparison that matters is the amount of all iOS phones vs all Android phones, and in the case of the latter that obviously must include every Android device sold by Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony, Sharp, etc. The only Android devices you could reasonably leave off would be the Amazon and Barnes and Noble ones.

The point I was making originally is that when you look at the state of Android phones now, big screens dominate. Manufacturers wouldn't do that unless they believed that big screens increase sales, and therefore justify the cost of including them. Apple are still shipping very small screens in the iPhone, so they will have to weigh up the potential extra sales a big screen would give them, versus the increased costs.

I'd be shocked if Apple didn't conclude that larger screens equal more sales, but then again, Apple are pig headed and may well do their own thing regardless.

Large screened phones dominate because it's the no-brainer way to get decent battery life out of reasonably functional Android phone without making it 2" thick. Why is that? We know Apple's reasons for sticking with their design-- they think it works best. But Android is supposed to be all about "choice"? Where's the choice?

Try to find a marquee Android phone that has a 3.5" screen. Now tell me there's no market for same, that each and every Android user simply craves a big ass phone. Or is it because a full featured Android phone with a 3.5" screen and reasonably thin would get about 4 hours of battery life?

And you can't make correlations between sales numbers and features with Android, because it's become the de facto feature phone OS. If Samsung, HTC, LG and Motorola decided that the next wave of Android phones needed to have shark fins, then you'd be arguing that Apple must acknowledge the necessity of same. Because Android phones are what's for sale. Dumb phone due for a replacement? Walk into a Verizon store, that's what they have. Sure, they have a few iPhones, but that's not what they want to sell you.

Just look at tablet sales to get an idea of what the market actually responds to, sans the world of carrier subsidies and hard-sell.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #111 of 168
Let me just also say that if Apple manages to get a 4" screen in roughly the same footprint as the current iPhone I'll welcome it, and that doesn't require some stupid "I hated it until Apple did it now I think they invented it" bullshit which some posters seem to rely on so heavily as their go-to straw man.

I don't want a 4.5" or 5" iPhone, although if that's all that's on offer I guess I'd suck it up, since I don't have much interest in Android or WP at the moment (juries still out on WP). Big screen is great for some stuff, but carrying it around with me at all times isn't one of them. I have to shake my head at the 'droidheads sagely informing me of how a 5" phone fits nicely into their "jacket pocket" as if I'm going to be wearing a jacket at all times. I keep my iPhone on my person like a set of keys, and I typically barely know it's there. I like that, I guess because I'm a mindless fanboy.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #112 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post


I don't want a 4.5" or 5"

Most of the people here seem to associate bigger screen with a bigger phone.
But givingi Phone edge-to-edge screen would make it possible to fit 4.6" even keeping the same round corners! Sure the home button as we know it has to go.
post #113 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Most of the people here seem to associate bigger screen with a bigger phone.
But givingi Phone edge-to-edge screen would make it possible to fit 4.6" even keeping the same round corners! Sure the home button as we know it has to go.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but much over 4" and (for my hand at least) the screen gets hard to operated one-handed. Arc of the thumb sweep and all.

Not sure about the ergonomics of edge to edge either. It's not as severe as a tablet, since you generally aren't gripping a phone in both hands by the edges, but there isn't much more than an 1/8" of space on either side of the current iPhone screen, so you're pretty much talking about making the screen just longer-- which is the worst case scenario for one hand operation.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #114 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Most of the people here seem to associate bigger screen with a bigger phone.
But givingi Phone edge-to-edge screen would make it possible to fit 4.6" even keeping the same round corners! Sure the home button as we know it has to go.

This concept can only work if 1) the Home Button is moved to the side or back, and 2) if they still keep the same same pixel density so the 960x640 iPhone apps will still fit on screen.

But lets consider what this does. We still have a very different design that comes with a lot of cons and very few pros. Do customers really want the Home Button on the side? Will Apple move from the squared design to a beveled one that makes this even more difficult in the future? Is putting a button on the back feasible?

Are iPhone sales suffering because there they aren't using enough of the front panel? Would customers want more of the front used or to make the iPhone smaller?

Now I can see a case for a 4" iPhone and I can see how there are people that want the display wider but you have to think about it from Apple's PoV. After all they are the ones making the phone. Do you really see Apple following the vendors who are doing much worse than they are just so they can say "Look, we have 16:9 and 4.6" phones, too." and at the possible expense of destroying their successful iPhone App Store to do it? I don't think so.


PS: MS is trying something different with their Win8 Metro UI. It's very similar to their WinPh UI but it's not the same code base and WinPh, as good as it is, has no market to leverage people getting on-board with it on Win8.

This could be very bad for MS to take a successful and well known interface and force people to start over. If you feel you're being forced to start anew then they might just choose OS X. At Apple has shown that making their UIs familiar is a way to encourage sales. You build off your success, you don't radically change it just because a few say it feels old and stale.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #115 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.

It's amazing that Apple wouldn't provide a f$cking choice! I can buy a 13", 15" or 17" laptop. I'm 6'4" have big hands and wear glasses. I'd like a bigger screen, a much bigger screen, and I'd prefer Apple to provide me with the option to buy one. I'd even pay more for it over a 3.5"one, but give me the option. Many men would like a bigger phone and it's showing up more and more in surveys. Not everyone will like, but it's becoming a preference for a majority of men.
post #116 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Let me just also say that if Apple manages to get a 4" screen in roughly the same footprint as the current iPhone I'll welcome it, and that doesn't require some stupid "I hated it until Apple did it now I think they invented it" bullshit which some posters seem to rely on so heavily as their go-to straw man.

I don't want a 4.5" or 5" iPhone, although if that's all that's on offer I guess I'd suck it up, since I don't have much interest in Android or WP at the moment (juries still out on WP). Big screen is great for some stuff, but carrying it around with me at all times isn't one of them. I have to shake my head at the 'droidheads sagely informing me of how a 5" phone fits nicely into their "jacket pocket" as if I'm going to be wearing a jacket at all times. I keep my iPhone on my person like a set of keys, and I typically barely know it's there. I like that, I guess because I'm a mindless fanboy.

n. I'dl

Mindless with small hands it seems

Nothing wrong with a bigger screen. I had a Samsung note in my jeans pocket recently and it was just fine.

It's a preference. Apple should offer the maker a choice of screen sizes and they'd displace a lot of larger androids.
post #117 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

It's amazing that Apple wouldn't provide a f$cking choice! I can buy a 13", 15" or 17" laptop. I'm 6'4" have big hands and wear glasses. I'd like a bigger screen, a much bigger screen, and I'd prefer Apple to provide me with the option to buy one. I'd even pay more for it over a 3.5"one, but give me the option. Many men would like a bigger phone and it's showing up more and more in surveys. Not everyone will like, but it's becoming a preference for a majority of men.

1) 94% of the world's population are under 6'2".

2) Using a windowed UI as an argument for windowless UI is silly.

3) Apple does gives you a choice. What you're arguing is that Apple shouldn't have a choice in the matter. Because you want something a company should do it. That's not capitalism, that communism.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #118 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) 94% of the world's population are over 6'2".

Did you mean to say 94% of the world's population is less than 6' 2"?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #119 of 168
I'm interested in an LTE iPhone for two reasons. First, the existing iPhone is fragile. I'd like to see Apple ruggedize it a bit. Second, with LTE it isn't the speed, it's the reception -- 700MHz avoids clashes with towers from other carriers (e.g. Sprint) that I've had trouble with, and it carries farther.

I'm not so sure about a bigger display. Four inches makes it easier to type and text on the phone but anything bigger doesn't fit in my hand. I'd long been hoping that someone in the Android world would produce a phone that measures up in design to the original Droid (3.7 inch display, almost Retina-like clarity, same footprint as iPhone) but the Droid 4, Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus simply don't deliver because they're too big and the displays aren't bright and clear enough. If something doesn't happen before my Droid conks out, I'll have to get an iPhone 4S.
post #120 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, welcome to the other side! See, over here, that stuff just doesn't matter. It's all about a single feature: having the idea put in your head that you want the feature, demanding that feature, not getting that feature, being furious at Apple because you were "entitled" to that feature, finally getting the feature in a future product, and then being furious with Apple because the feature has inherently changed how other features worked or doesn't work very well because you didn't want a different, actually important feature.

Right now it's "a larger screen". Before it was the vague thought of "a better camera", but that has mostly died down now.

These were the same technogeek sites that were whining about the screen and design of the iPhone 4S when it was unveiled, and the mainstream media picked up on this undercurrent of "disappointment" in the 4S and started re-running the story, questioning whether Apple had blown it. Then, a funny thing happened: The buying public, the real majority of people who don't follow tech sites like Slashdot or AppleInsider or what-have-you, started buying the iPhone 4S in droves, making it Apple's best seller. To me, that underscores the opinion bubble that technogeeks like gwmac (and others, not to single that person out) surf in on the Web. Whether we're Apple or Android fans. We think everyone else is like us, and we visit websites that seem to affirm our point of view. I don't rely on polls from these sites to tell me whether people want a bigger screen or not. Those polls just reflect the thoughts of a vocal community, who think their opinions are shared by everyone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen