And as it states right under the ad on the Australian site, which is the same as the US and Canada sites,
Really really fast is your only option.
The new iPad supports fast cellular networks the world over.2 So you can browse the web, stream content or download a movie at blazing-fast speeds. It also works on GSM/UMTS worldwide network technologies including HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA — the fastest 3G networks out there. You’ll see downlink speeds up to 42 Mbps with DC-HSDPA and up to 21.1 Mbps with HSPA+.3
And on the Australian iPad Store
, it clearly lets you choose a model and further states:
The iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G model can roam worldwide on fast GSM/UMTS networks, including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier. You can also connect to the 4G LTE networks of AT&T in the U.S. and Bell, Rogers, and Telus in Canada.
This is a world-wide launch. Attempting to satisfy all the idiosyncrasies for every country and having to modify each and every time it changed would be ludicrous. One would think that Aussies never leave their continent.
And this is a country (as all countries) that post laws such as:
- Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.
- You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
- It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burgular.
- It is illegal to walk on the right hand side of a footpath.
- Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, a modem can’t pick up on the first ring.
- Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.
- Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.
- The legal age for straight sex is 16, unless the person is in the care/custody of the older person, in which case it is 18.
- Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.
- It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.
- You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach.
- Until the Port Arthur Killings it was legal to own an AK-47 but not legal to be gay.
- Lawmakers are proposing a new law that will not allow anyone to come closer than 100 meters from a dead whale’s carcass.
P.S. No one is immune from such stupidity
By the way, my car has a top speed of 220 km/hr. Should it have a sticker on it that states, "Not in your driveway".