or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple proposes refunds for Australian customers unhappy with '4G' iPad [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple proposes refunds for Australian customers unhappy with '4G' iPad [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 127
Oh man! Verizon is selling a MiFi hotspot that is also a jetpack. Surely there is no need to educate myself any further.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #122 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Oh man! Verizon is selling a MiFi hotspot that is also a jetpack. Surely there is no need to educate myself any further.

very funny example , I think we have different mindsets, peace.
post #123 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeWater View Post

you are right on that one , many of my friends do think NextG is 4G and I agree telstra is being very misleading by using that name

Its not misleading at all. Telstra has always used the name NextG to refer to its 3G network. They are not suddenly applying that to something else. In any case "NextG" whatever it is, belongs to Telstra no one else, they can use that name however they choose.

Apple doesn't own "4G", nor do Telstra, they don't get to redefine what it is, or what it isn't.

Since Telstra is the only 4G network provider in Australia, its is the defacto standard here. So if you market a product here that is 4G compliant, then either, it should work with Telstra's network or you should clearly state that it does not. Not in the fine print.

Other vendors don't seem to have a problem producing 4G products that work with Telstra.
post #124 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likkie View Post

Its not misleading at all. Telstra has always used the name NextG to refer to its 3G network. They are not suddenly applying that to something else. In any case "NextG" whatever it is, belongs to Telstra no one else, they can use that name however they choose.

So Apple could trademark "WiFi+4G" since no one owns that string of letters and symbols and you wouldn't say Apple is misleading?

Quote:
Apple doesn't own "4G", nor do Telstra, they don't get to redefine what it is, or what it isn't.

Who does the own the cardinal number four followed by the letter G? It's my understand that no one does which is why writing 4G iPhone would refer to the 4th generation iPhone, the iPhone 4.

Quote:
Since Telstra is the only 4G network provider in Australia, its is the defacto standard here.

So now there is a definition to '4G' and you think Telestra defines it. And here I hoped you were being objective.

Quote:
So if you market a product here that is 4G compliant, then either, it should work with Telstra's network or you should clearly state that it does not. Not in the fine print.

And it is compliant according to the ITU which seems a much more logical usage of the number-letter combination than going by what Telestra says or claiming because it's not colloquial it means it's a lie.

Quote:
Other vendors don't seem to have a problem producing 4G products that work with Telstra.

Way to complete your argument with a fallacy.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #125 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likkie View Post

Other vendors don't seem to have a problem producing 4G products that work with Telstra.

All three products that work and are currently available on Telstra's 4G network in a tiny percentage of Australia's landmass, is that what you mean?

I'd call that a problem

Where I live and work, in Australia's largest city Telstra's 4G and the iPad's 4G are equivalent, i.e. non-existent.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #126 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

All three products that work and are currently available on Telstra's 4G network in a tiny percentage of Australia's landmass, is that what you mean?

I'd call that a problem

Where I live and work, in Australia's largest city Telstra's 4G and the iPad's 4G are equivalent, i.e. non-existent.


No one is disputing the size of the network.

I live in regional Australia, and we have 4G here.
post #127 of 127


Can you please find out how many did actually return this iPad and take the money instead, pretty please!


Hmm, this is all American carriers, Samsung America and the like faults for taking up ITU definition of 4G as loosely as it can be to cover all tech/spectrums and not specific to LTE.

Seriously, this is where we are in this world folks, a struggle between the two - the lazy and dumb customers who did not read the fine prints (or find out what exactly they are buying) and corporations/companies high on the heels trying to squeeze information as it can to consumers. Case in point, try book a flight with Ryan Air (Ireland) and opt out from buying their travel insurance (*because you may have already arranged elsewhere). Where would find the option to indicate that you want to do that? You'll find it within the drop down menu of country of residence between Latvia and Lithuania. I mean WTF? Not even alphabetically correct. Or you may want to buy Mark's and Spencer (UK) Lochmuir* salmon. Sorry pal, that place doesn't actually exist! It is just marketing i.e. white lies

* Lochmuir as in Scotland as in Scottish salmon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple proposes refunds for Australian customers unhappy with '4G' iPad [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple proposes refunds for Australian customers unhappy with '4G' iPad [u]