or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now the 'digital camera of choice' among consumers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone now the 'digital camera of choice' among consumers

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPhone has become the de facto choice for consumers who use a digital camera, new statistics from the photo sharing service Flickr show.

The iPhone lineup is becoming the new standard for picture taking, analyst Ben A. Reitzes with Barclays declared in a note to investors on Monday, calling Apple's smartphone "the digital camera of choice for consumers and enthusiasts."

He noted that the latest data from Flickr shows that the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera used on the site with over 51 million registered users. That beat the second-place Canon EOS 5D Mark II, as well as the Nikon D90, Canon EOS REBEL T2i, and Canon EOS 7D.

When tracking solely smartphone use on Flickr, the statistics show complete domination by Apple. The top four smartphones for picture taking on Flickr are, in order, the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS.

The only other smartphone in Flickr's top five was the HTC EVO 4G, which had less than half the active users of the fourth-place iPhone 3GS. In fact, the only iPhone model that didn't make the top five was the first-generation handset released in 2007.

Reitzes said he believes the iPhone has replaced the standalone digital camera for many consumers because of the ease of use it offers, as well as the ability to quickly share photos online.




"This usability helps warrant a premium for the product and creates stickiness with software that connects consumers with other Apple products," he said.

The popularity of picture taking and editing on iOS devices was demonstrated last week, as Apple revealed that it had sold a million copies of its new iPhoto software for iPhone and iPad in less than 10 days. iPhoto for iOS is available on the App Store for $4.99.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 70
I'm surprised the 4S isn't ranking higher.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #3 of 70
This is going to make people start demanding a 12MP camera in the new iPhone, isn't it?
post #4 of 70
So Android leads in activations, but iPhone leads in everything from apps to web surfing to photography.

These types of statistics seem consistent with the hypothesis that the iPhone is more widely used as a true smartphone, while Android phones are treated by consumers more as feature phones or even dumb phones.

And really, this isn't so surprising. The iPhone is part of a larger platform whereas Android phones are not. Android itself is not a platform -- it's just some "free" source code that OEMs can use as the basis of their own platforms. But after decades of being treated as low margin device assemblers by the likes of Microsoft and Intel (in the case of the PC guys) or decades selling dumb phones or very limited feature phones (the cell phone guys), there really weren't any OEMs out there capable of building a platform. Now Google is semi-scrambling to pull together some semblance of a true platform, but it's probably too late.
post #5 of 70
Very fuzzy logic here both the misleading heading of this thread and/or statistics as this pertains only to people that use Flikr. Of course the iPhone would dominate - how many digital cameras can you directly upload photos to Flickr?
Next.

The title should state Cameraphones.
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is going to make people start demanding a 12MP camera in the new iPhone, isn't it?

I'm equally as shocked as the top FOUR spots all being iPhones, and the 3G, which isn't sold anymore, still outranks the 3GS, which is still for sale. Just more proof that people with iPhones actually WANT to use their phone, whereas most Android owners HAVE to use their phone.
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Very fuzzy logic here for statistics as this pertains only to people that use Flikr. Of course the iPhone would dominate - how many digital cameras can you directly upload to Flickr?
Next.

True enough, but the next four most popular are all stand-alone cameras. By your logic, everything on the top list should be some type of phone or other connected device.
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm surprised the 4S isn't ranking higher.

The iPhone 4S has only been out for a few months whereas the iPhone 4 has been fully launched worldwide, starting in the summer of 2011. I'm guessing worldwide deployment of the iPhone 4S is not yet complete.

Also, Apple continues to sell the iPhone 4 in many markets.
post #9 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Very fuzzy logic here both the heading of this thread and/or statistics as this pertains only to people that use Flikr. Of course the iPhone would dominate - how many digital cameras can you directly upload photos to Flickr?
Next.

The title should state Cameraphones.

1) So now it's not fair that Flickr posts its own stats? Fuzzy logic indeed.

2) Most other camera phones can upload to Flickr and yet I see digital cameras best out all of them but the iPhone 4. That little fact decimates your argument that camera phones will be more popular than digital cameras. The fact is the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera on Flickr.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #10 of 70
I'm certain I read at least a year ago the iPhone was already the top camera on Flickr. The best camera is the one you have with you.
post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So now it's not fair that Flickr posts its own stats? Fuzzy logic indeed.

2) Most other camera phones can upload to Flickr and yet I see digital cameras best out all of them but the iPhone 4. That little fact decimates your argument that camera phones will be more popular than digital cameras. The fact is the iPhone 4 is the most popular camera on Flickr.

1.) No- it's not that hard to comprehend that there are uncounted gazzillions of digital camera users that simply do not use Flikr.

2.) That's not what the title of the thread claims. Read much? Geesh!

'Digital camera of choice' for consumers is Apple's iPhone'
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

True enough, but the next four most popular are all stand-alone cameras. By your logic, everything on the top list should be some type of phone or other connected device.

The point is that this doesn't measure digital camera use, it measures photo sharing use. It's very likely the case that there are way more people using non-phone digital cameras than are represented in this data. It may even be the case that some number of digital cameras outnumber any one or even all of the iPhones (or other phones, or represented digital cameras) in actual "use". But, since the numbers only represent people using Flickr, the only conclusions that can be drawn from this data are conclusions about Flickr users. The number of people with digital cameras who don't use Flickr likely outnumbers those who do by a very large number. (I'd guess at least a couple of orders of magnitude.)

In other words, the headline should be "'Digital camera of choice' for Flickr users is Apple's iPhone", since this data does not represent consumers generally.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPhone has become the de facto choice for consumers who use a digital camera, new statistics from the photo sharing service Flickr show.



Convenience trumps quality - again.

When will the Android phone makers learn this?
post #14 of 70
It may the the most popular, but that doesn't make it suck any less. My iPhone 4 takes horrible pictures.
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

1.) No- it's not that hard to comprehend that there are uncounted gazzillions of digital camera users that simply do not use Flikr.

2.) That's not what the title of the thread claims. Read much? Geesh!

'Digital camera of choice' for consumers is Apple's iPhone'

If you make the assumption that flickr users are a representative sample of all camera users then the conclusion is valid. With the Canon 5D placing second I don't think that assumption is valid.
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is going to make people start demanding a 12MP camera in the new iPhone, isn't it?

Sadly, yes.

Apple and its customers would be better off with a camera that has better low light sensitivity rather than more pixels. A smartphone camera module really won't benefit much from a 12MP sensor. The resolving power of a lens of this size is pretty much maxxed out.
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

If you make the assumption that flickr users are a representative sample of all camera users then the conclusion is valid. With the Canon 5D placing second I don't think that assumption is valid.

Never make assumptions with statistics.
I would need an actual percentage of how many digital camera users actually use Flickr first.

AI just needs to change the title of this thread- very misleading.
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It may the the most popular, but that doesn't make it suck any less. My iPhone 4 takes horrible pictures.

A bad workman blames his tools!

I may qualify as close to being the world's worst photographer. But I found the iPhone 4 camera produced great photos, even for me..

However, the 4S is a quantum leap better. Absolutely awesome and better than even professional Nikons of just a few years ago!

The only drawback I find with the 4S is that the flash does not produce good pictures. I've stopped using it and instead rely on the 4S's great low light ability, which I can then enhance with iPhoto if needs be.

Combining the 4S with the new iPad takes digital photography to a new dimension.

But the effect is even more dramatic for video, which takes HD video to a completely new level.

The combination is not just head and shoulders above everything else, nothing else come above knee high to a 4s and a new iPad.
post #19 of 70
Great, iOS not only dumbing down Apple now it can do the same to Photography in general

This is as sad as crayons becoming the tool of choice for drawing - And they say iOS is not for the lowest common denominator.
post #20 of 70
Wait... They make other cameras besides the iPhone?
post #21 of 70
Another bulls**t story for the Apple fans to cheer about...... give me a break.

The way I see it, if you have an iPhone then that's your consumer camera of choice. Almost any smart and even "dumb" phone out there has a camera and most are getting very good. I'm a photographer and I admit that many photographers have iPhones as their point and shoot but that's only because for the majority of photographers and videographers, Apple computers are their system of choice. Not the case for everyone and for the rest of the world.
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Combining the 4S with the new iPad takes digital photography to a new dimension.

wow, just wow... the apple community is just an embarrassment right now
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Great, iOS not only dumbing down Apple now it can do the same to Photography in general

This is as sad as crayons becoming the tool of choice for drawing - And they say iOS is not for the lowest common denominator.

Guess it is as simple that the best camera I have is the camera I have available, by that definition my iPhone is my best camera most of the time as I don't usually carry my Nikon SLR around.

Guess the interesting point here is that there is a likelyhood that iPhone users get more value out of their investment than users of other cameraphones.
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It may the the most popular, but that doesn't make it suck any less. My iPhone 4 takes horrible pictures.

or maybe YOU takes horrible pictures?
post #25 of 70
It would be interesting to see figures from Facebook. My money would be on the iPhone still being top, but I cannot imagine the expensive Canon camera's being so highly placed.
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Great, iOS not only dumbing down Apple now it can do the same to Photography in general

This is as sad as crayons becoming the tool of choice for drawing - And they say iOS is not for the lowest common denominator.

Care to share how iOS dumbing down photography?
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

wow, just wow... the apple community is just an embarrassment right now

Sour Grapes Agramonte!

Just name a better combination instead of making supercilious, envious, vacuous comments.
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Great, iOS not only dumbing down Apple now it can do the same to Photography in general

This is as sad as crayons becoming the tool of choice for drawing - And they say iOS is not for the lowest common denominator.

I don't think this is true. It is not dumbing down photography; rather it is giving people the ability to take good photos (that are worth sharing) more often.

Previously most people did not have a decent camera with them at all times so many great photo opportunities were lost. Now that phones which we carry with us at all times have pretty good cameras meaning those magic moments can now be captured and shared.
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It may the the most popular, but that doesn't make it suck any less. My iPhone 4 takes horrible pictures.

no, YOU take horrible pictures with your iPhone 4.

there is a difference...
post #30 of 70
Oh, no. That last chart is going to be more fuel for the iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3GS fan flamewars! Come on, its all iPhones; cant we all just get along?
post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

These types of statistics seem consistent with the hypothesis that the iPhone is more widely used as a true smartphone, while Android phones are treated by consumers more as feature phones or even dumb phones.

Android users most likely use Google's Picasa. If iPhone was a camera of choice there, it would mean something. Although I do not have the stats.
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Care to share how iOS dumbing down photography?

He's probably complaining about P&S cameras as a whole and how they afford less control and pre-shot manipulation.

And probably a little about how digital cameras let you know immediately if you got a bad shot, letting you take another without worry. Regular cameras demanded that the user had knowledge of what they were doing if they wanted a good picture.
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Android users most likely use Google's Picasa. If iPhone was a camera of choice there, it would mean something. Although I do not have the stats.

Picasa and Panoramio. Although HTC does integrate fairly well with Flickr, which is why there's 1 HTC phone up there (but HTC generally releases 10+ models a year, so their hits will be very spread out).

This is just another deceiving article on AppleInsider, using cherry picked stats. The title should read: iPhone most popular camera on Flickr.
post #34 of 70
This is no surprise, duh. The four models of iPhones are the largest selling smartphones. Android phones, which outsell iPhones by a large amount, come in many different models and makes, thus they do not show up in this data.

This article would only be interesting and newsworthy if it compares iOS vs Android.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

However, the 4S is a quantum leap better. Absolutely awesome and better than even professional Nikons of just a few years ago!



C'mon. The 4S might have a decent camera for a cellphone, but I have never heard that it is anywhere NEAR "better than even professional Nikons of just a few years ago" overall.

Are you picking some obscure spec? Where did you hear anything like what you said?
post #36 of 70
The iPhone 4 has been the most used camera on flickr for quite a while now. If I'm not mistaken, it unseated the Nikon D90 at the top of that list last year.
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post


This article would only be interesting and newsworthy if it compares iOS vs Android.

I agree.

Normally we are told Android (consisting of numerous manufacturers and models) is outselling the iPhone. But that is not actually comparing like with like.

Android is an OS and should be compared to iOS, not just the iPhone but also the iTouch and iPad, which might double the total number of iOS devices sold, probably much more than Android devices "shipped" (funny how the Android makers never want to tell us how many devices they actually sell rather than "ship", many stuffing shelves and warehouses until they are shifted by deep, deep discounts!)
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm surprised the 4S isn't ranking higher.

With 8MP people may find it difficult to upload to flickr. 12MP will make it worse.
post #39 of 70
No wonder P&S camera makers are going down.
post #40 of 70
I'd be willing to part with my 4S for a Canon 7D if anyone's interested

Honestly its just easier to upload photo's from your iPhone vs having to first transfer from your camera to your Mac then upload. These stats just show that more people are lazy... I mean prefer convenience! lol

Form factor/size of the iPhone doesn't hurt either vs lugging around a DSLR and camera bag etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone now the 'digital camera of choice' among consumers