or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Samsung have 'communicated lately' about patent suit settlements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple and Samsung have 'communicated lately' about patent suit settlements

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
Despite late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs's vow to go "thermonuclear war" on devices running Google's Android operating system, Apple and Samsung have recently had discussions about potentially settling their ongoing legal disputes.

The apparent continued behind-the-scenes talks between Apple and Samsung were revealed in a new cover story in Bloomberg Businessweek entitled Apple's War on Android. The story gives a detailed recounting of how Apple became involved in patent litigation with a host of Android smartphone makers, including Samsung, Motorola and HTC.

Citing people familiar with the situation, the report reveals that top-level executives at both Samsung and Apple have allegedly "communicated lately about potential settlement options."

"Apple CEO Tim Cook does not seem to share his predecessor's passion about laying all foes to waste," author Paul M. Barrett wrote. "Cook appears to view litigation as a necessary evil, not a vehicle of cosmic revenge."

While Apple and Samsung are apparently talking, it's by no means an indication that the ongoing lawsuits among device makers will end anytime soon. Apple has accused Samsung and others of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad, mimicking both their hardware and the iOS mobile operating system.


A map of Apple's legal assault on Android from Bloomberg Businessweek.


Apple recently revealed in a court filing that company officials met with Samsung four times in 2010 in an attempt to avoid patent litigation. Jobs himself was said to be part of those talks, but the issues were never resolved and Apple eventually filed suit against Samsung in April of 2011.

Jobs indicated before he died to biographer Walter Isaacson that he had no interest in licensing Apple's patented technology to Android manufacturers. Jobs said he believed Android was a "stolen product," and indicated he was "willing to go thermonuclear war" to stop it.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 57
Steve would not be happy......

Tim needs those screens to build his TV.
post #3 of 57
only lawyers getting rich... Gheesh
post #4 of 57
Good to see some progress being made here. Hopefully they can end this nonsense. Time to let icons be bygones.
post #5 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Good to see some progress being made here. Hopefully they can end this nonsense. Time to let icons be bygones.

All those white arrows look far more aggressive.

Some how I hope this War Game comes to an end. I hate to see all these lawyers getting richer and richer. This is a death cycle that is suffocating technological progress.
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

All those white arrows look far more aggressive.

Some how I hope this War Game comes to an end. I hate to see all these lawyers getting richer and richer. This is a death cycle that is suffocating technological progress.

In other words it pays to steal?
What kind of example are we setting for our children?
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words it pays to steal?
What kind of example are we setting for our children?


in settling we can show the system is broken and the best option is to sit at the table and work this out...
i work with lawyers all the time, and the best quote i have heard "clients have principles but they will have to pay to enforce them"

sounds like money junkies to me... Work it out is a better diplomatic solution to teach our kids then pay for war.
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words it pays to steal?
What kind of example are we setting for our children?

I think it's more a matter of picking your battles.

After all, even with copying Apple's IP, Samsung hasn't had any products come close to the iPhone's sales volume.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 57
how about Samesung pays Apple 20 USD per Android device? That would be fair.
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words it pays to steal?
What kind of example are we setting for our children?

You should really read how Apples Newton came to be, you want to talk about stealing.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Steve would not be happy......

1. They have likely been talking this whole time
2. We don't know that Tim will say yes to things that Steve would have said no.

Quote:
Tim needs those screens to build his TV.

3. totally different department. Which is why they are still making screens for the iPad and iPhone, despite having 'copied' them

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words it pays to steal?
What kind of example are we setting for our children?

Look, I really hate to see samsung copying everything Apple. But to see all this money going down the drain hurts me even more. Since this whole licensing war has come to a stalemate situation. They should sit at a table drink a beer or two (no lawyers invited), shake hands and drop the case.
post #13 of 57
It's the only way they can get down to a 32nm process so the next ipad isn't as hot as the new one. TSMC is further down to 28nm but with production problems so far. And no one expects intel to manufacture arm in their even smaller lithography. Samsung has had a good card to play with apple and so far they have done so by letting them manufacture at only 45nm.

So that pretty much leaves apple with only samsung so far to manufacture their chips. Too bad they didn't settle before the new ipad... at least the new ipad can double up as an omelet maker. That's device convergence for ya.
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Look, I really hate to see samsung copying everything Apple. But to see all this money going down the drain hurts me even more. Since this whole licensing war has come to a stalemate situation. They should sit at a table drink a beer or two (no lawyers invited), shake hands and drop the case.

In other words - a "teachable moment"?

Steve would be spinning in his urn/grave.
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You should really read how Apples Newton came to be, you want to talk about stealing.

Well the Newton was one of the first projects that have been terminated by Steve. You shouldn't bring up stuff that is older then a decade. Apple was quite a different company at that time. My guts are telling me, that most of the posters in this forum would agree on this.
post #16 of 57
I'm imagining Steve jobs as Darth Vader and Tim Cook as the Imperial Admiral who gets the Force Grip treatment for this outrage.
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Well the Newton was one of the first projects that have been terminated by Steve. You shouldn't bring up stuff that is older then a decade. Apple was quite a different company at that time. My guts are telling me, that most of the posters in this forum would agree on this.

Agreed.
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

in settling we can show the system is broken and the best option is to sit at the table and work this out... .

But not everything can be worked out by discussion. What do you reckon would have happened if they asked Hitler to the discussion table?! Perhaps agreed to only gas half the jews, in a give and take agreement.
That's no good! Sometimes war is the only option.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words - a "teachable moment"?

Steve would be spinning in his urn/grave.

Or he might be relieved? Nobody will ever know. But I agree, that if he would be here in person, he might have a difficult time to agree to such an undertaking, even so it would probably be overall beneficial to the company. And don't get me wrong I am absolutely in favor for IP defense. But this situation is so totally fucked up that drawing a par is the best they could do IMHO.
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's the only way they can get down to a 32nm process so the next ipad isn't as hot as the new one. TSMC is further down to 28nm but with production problems so far. And no one expects intel to manufacture arm in their even smaller lithography. Samsung has had a good card to play with apple and so far they have done so by letting them manufacture at only 45nm.

So that pretty much leaves apple with only samsung so far to manufacture their chips. Too bad they didn't settle before the new ipad... at least the new ipad can double up as an omelet maker. That's device convergence for ya.

Interesting how independent testing has shown the new ipad to run cooler than existing Android tablets. So if the new ipad is an omelet maker, android tables are deep fryers.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Interesting how independent testing has shown the new ipad to run cooler than existing Android tablets. So if the new ipad is an omelet maker, android tables are deep fryers.

If you go back and look at the overall results you'll see they're not what you thought you read.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Well the Newton was one of the first projects that have been terminated by Steve. You shouldn't bring up stuff that is older then a decade. Apple was quite a different company at that time. My guts are telling me, that most of the posters in this forum would agree on this.

My point is every company steals at one point or another, Samsung is being sued because of design fraud. Something that they've paid dearly do to lost of sells and are now changing their design. I own a few Android products and the OS no longer looks anything like iOS. Except maybe the way the icons are stacked on the app view tab but Apple didn't design that either. I still own every Nokia Communicator that I bought before the iPhone came into existence and the icons are stacked the same way. I still have this old Erickson monochrome smartphone that I swear if it was made today, Erickson would have probably been sued by Apple.

What about all the law suits against Apple at that moment, no one is perfect especially Apple. I'm happy to see Samsung and Apple working out their differences as they're both tightly in bed with each other. Nobody wants to see their parents fight it makes for a bad image.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's the only way they can get down to a 32nm process so the next ipad isn't as hot as the new one. TSMC is further down to 28nm but with production problems so far. And no one expects intel to manufacture arm in their even smaller lithography. Samsung has had a good card to play with apple and so far they have done so by letting them manufacture at only 45nm.

So that pretty much leaves apple with only samsung so far to manufacture their chips. Too bad they didn't settle before the new ipad... at least the new ipad can double up as an omelet maker. That's device convergence for ya.

Again, as proven time and time again and now backed up wi AnandTech's iPad review 28nm lithography was not possible with this iPad. You can try to convince people that App,e was too cheap or switch your story mid-sentence to say that Apple begged but Samsung refused but only the unintelligent, uninformed hat era such as yourself will ever believe that. The iPad is not a failure. A 28nm Img Tech GPU was not possible for this release. Admit you were wrong and move on.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 57
This is bad news for Apple consumers.
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is bad news for Apple consumers.

All the fAndroids will now claim this proves their phones are not copies.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Again, as proven time and time again and now backed up wi AnandTech's iPad review 28nm lithography was not possible with this iPad. You can try to convince people that App,e was too cheap or switch your story mid-sentence to say that Apple begged but Samsung refused but only the unintelligent, uninformed hat era such as yourself will ever believe that. The iPad is not a failure. A 28nm Img Tech GPU was not possible for this release. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Right, I think even Samsung will only release 1 maybe 2 products this year based on their 28nm die. Starting with the Galaxy III that won't see the light of day until June. Apple had a decision to make and it was the right one as the iPad is great
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

All the fAndroids will now claim this proves their phones are not copies.

Um because their not, a couple of years ago when they were first released maybe, now though, no.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Look, I really hate to see samsung copying everything Apple. But to see all this money going down the drain hurts me even more. Since this whole licensing war has come to a stalemate situation. They should sit at a table drink a beer or two (no lawyers invited), shake hands and drop the case.

When you say 'shake hands'... do you mean arm wrestle? How would having a beer or two help resolve the 'you're ripping off my designs - yours is a stolen product' issues? I think a couple of beers without lawyers would facilitate a much quicker ' F@#K you, we're going F@#KING NUCLEAR ON THIS, you low life thieves!' type of resolution. Or maybe just a straight up brawl type resolution, depending on who were at the table.

The bottom line is that if you feel that someone has stolen something from you it is virtually impossible to sit down and come to an amicable resolution. It would be like the cops bringing the guy who robbed you to a 'sit down' with you and him handing back your credit card and cash, but keeping the debit card.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you go back and look at the overall results you'll see they're not what you thought you read.

With the tablets tested the new iPad wasn't warmer in every test. It was warmer in nearly all tests, but the most important one was unr load for an extended duration and it was shown to be cooler than one tested tablet. That is significant to the claim that the iPad is failure.

In the tests it was shown to be warmer it wasn't by much. That is significant to the claim the iPad is a failure. Remember, people were saying that Steve Jobs would have never OKed it blah blah blah?

So it was all a bunch of nothing for a device that does have a much higher power output than it's competition due to the need of a display, backlight, GPU and RAM all consuming more power. It's quite a marvel they can get 10 hours from a 1.4lb device pushing 3.1 million pixels. And let's not forget this isn't PenTile, TN or even a low grade IPS panel.

It seems to me Apple may have gone above and beyond with this display in order to corner the professional market since that level of display accuracy isn't a major requirement for a consumer product and could have knocked a significant price off the display component and lowered its power needs at the same time.

But is the new iPad warmer than the iPad 2? Absolutely. I reported this on the Friday when it came out and stated the solution is to turn it 180 degrees as it was only hot over the A5X.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But is the new iPad warmer than the iPad 2? Absolutely. I reported this on Te afriday when it came out and stated the solution is to turn it 180 degrees as it was only hot over the A5X.

In other words- we're holding it wrong?

And then how would I take a picture?
What would I be taking a picture of?
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is bad news for Apple consumers.

Why? How does this affect those of us who buy Apple products?
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Interesting how independent testing has shown the new ipad to run cooler than existing Android tablets. So if the new ipad is an omelet maker, android tables are deep fryers.

No independent tests have shown it runs cooler than android tablets. Those that showed it runs warmer but not by much used didn't use equipment powerful enough to allow for the reflectivity of the aluminum back which influences thermal readings. It's expected to run warmer what with the retina screen of course, to what extent it's warmer and how it affects usage we 'll see in the future with more reports and user experiences. The lithographic process of the cpu/gpu is apparently too high to allow it to run any cooler.

Anyway, I put a on, it's humor, and my main point was that samsung's 32nm manufacturing process that they've so far withheld from apple is most probably samsung's card for apple to settle and stop trying to ban the tabs in any market they can.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

In other words- we're holding it wrong?

And then how would I take a picture?
What would I be taking a picture of?

That's a load question. It's a logical fallacy.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a load question. It's a logical fallacy.

It's the Vartabedian Conundrum.
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The bottom line is that if you feel that someone has stolen something from you it is virtually impossible to sit down and come to an amicable resolution.

Wrong. When in such a situation, you look at your available options and you pick the best one. Sometimes, the best option is to take somewhat less than you really think you should get, in a perfect world.

Sometimes practicality trumps emotion. Often, your best bet is to take half a loaf.

For example, if a thief has a gun to your head, your best bet is to give him your wallet. Even if by all rights, you should not.

When in a bad situation, you need to evaluate your available options, with a clear head, and steer things towards the best possible solution. Not the best solution in the abstract, but the best solution given all the real existing factors.
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

My point is every company steals at one point or another, Samsung is being sued because of design fraud. Something that they've paid dearly do to lost of sells and are now changing their design. I own a few Android products and the OS no longer looks anything like iOS. Except maybe the way the icons are stacked on the app view tab but Apple didn't design that either. I still own every Nokia Communicator that I bought before the iPhone came into existence and the icons are stacked the same way. I still have this old Erickson monochrome smartphone that I swear if it was made today, Erickson would have probably been sued by Apple.

What about all the law suits against Apple at that moment, no one is perfect especially Apple. I'm happy to see Samsung and Apple working out their differences as they're both tightly in bed with each other. Nobody wants to see their parents fight it makes for a bad image.

Stealing requires intent. So a company has to intend to take something from somebody else. So just because a company comes up with a product with the same concept doesn't necessarily mean a theft has occured. With Android the mere scope of similar products makes the allegation of theft seem valid.

The Newton you brought up predated the Nokia Communicator, Sony Erickson, or any Android products. The Newton had a very similar icon set up as the iPhone. So Apple essentially borrowed from itself.
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The bottom line is that if you feel that someone has stolen something from you it is virtually impossible to sit down and come to an amicable resolution. It would be like the cops bringing the guy who robbed you to a 'sit down' with you and him handing back your credit card and cash, but keeping the debit card.


Seems to be working for Microsoft. It makes more money off of Android than Google does.


However, Microsoft has always been about making money through licensing. Apple, however, had always been about selling product through design. So, if a company takes Apple's design it is undermining Apple's business model.
post #38 of 57

I have to admit, I kind of like your:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

' F@#K you, we're going F@#KING NUCLEAR ON THIS, you low life thieves!'

And it expresses about exactly my feelengs in this matter.

But at the end of the day nobody is better off if they continue this war.
Especially as long as Apple is so dependent on samesung.
which may make us even more furios.
post #39 of 57
Bad news, AI will have to host less news content!
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

how about Samesung pays Apple 20 USD per Android device? That would be fair.

why not $100? fair for what? copying Apple's rectangular design?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple and Samsung have 'communicated lately' about patent suit settlements