or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android

Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Simple math. Rubin claimed that Google has made $2.5 B in mobile advertising. Their court documents claim that they've received $500 M from Android. If that's all advertising, then Android accounted for 20% of Google's mobile advertising - with iOS being most of the rest.

I see. I thought iOS users were smarter than that. Why do they click on so many ads?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

When you first turn an Android device on and run through the set up process it asks you to log into a Google account or set one up.

I've done it hundreds of times when selling cheap, crappy PAYG android phones.

$750 million for AdMob, something smells fishy.

It will ask you but its not required. However if you want to download anything from the market then you will have to.
post #43 of 87
Android overall is basically bottom of the barrel, fragmented junk made for economically disadvantaged people, many of whom secretly dream about owning Apple devices.

When I see the average person with an Android device, I see a person who is not very tech savvy, I see a person who is cheap and I see a person who is using an outdated device running an outdated OS. That is the majority of Android users. If you happen to be an Android user and the above doesn't apply to you, then don't bother replying to me, as you do not represent the majority. You are an extremist and I don't care about you, as you represent a statistical minority.

Android is such damn garbage, it is worse than bloody awful. Is it any surprise that Google makes 80% from iOS and only 20% from Android? Android users are so damn cheap. Apple users appreciate great technology, and Apple users put their money where their mouths are. Android users are a bunch of freeloading cheapskates who are extremely unwilling to open up their wallets. An app store is not sustainable when your clients are either cheap as hell or from third world countries where people make a few peanuts in wages every day. That my friends is Android, it's a complete freaking nightmare.
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianA View Post

An Apple site jumping the gun once again on any apparently negative news about Android. You guys talk a lot more about Android than Android sites talk about Apple.

Blah, blah, blah

Unless Google is lying to minimise potential damages payable to Oracle.

Maybe the SEC should step in to find out why Google is investing so much in return for so little.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #45 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android overall is basically bottom of the barrel, fragmented junk made for economically disadvantaged people, many of whom secretly dream about owning Apple devices.

When I see the average person with an Android device, I see a person who is not very tech savvy, I see a person who is cheap and I see a person who is using an outdated device running an outdated OS. That is the majority of Android users. If you happen to be an Android user and the above doesn't apply to you, then don't bother replying to me, as you do not represent the majority. You are an extremist and I don't care about you, as you represent a statistical minority.

Android is such damn garbage, it is worse than bloody awful. Is it any surprise that Google makes 80% from iOS and only 20% from Android? Android users are so damn cheap. Apple users appreciate great technology, and Apple users put their money where their mouths are. Android users are a bunch of freeloading cheapskates who are extremely unwilling to open up their wallets. An app store is not sustainable when your clients are either cheap as hell or from third world countries where people make a few peanuts in wages every day. That my friends is Android, it's a complete freaking nightmare.

If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:
http://trollemipsum.appspot.com/?typ...&length=screed

EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #46 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

It will ask you but its not required. However if you want to download anything from the market then you will have to.

In other word's if you don't want to use it as just a feature phone.
post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see. I thought iOS users were smarter than that. Why do they click on so many ads?

Who says they click on ads? It could be simply Google's charge for displaying the ads, not click-through revenue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Who says they click on ads? It could be simply Google's charge for displaying the ads, not click-through revenue.

Maybe but if no one is clicking on the ads, the advertisers are paying a lot of money for very few conversions.

On the other hand, my measly little Google adSense properties only work with clicks, but I still earn a surprising amount from stray accidental clicks on text only ads so I'm happy if people keep clicking on them regardless of how dumb it might be.

post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them. Based on your little rant, your world revolves around the phone in your hand and your judgment of others revolves around theirs. I weep for our future. I hope you do not have any real responsibility in life.
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

A troll user with one post who signed up just today; magically appears out of the blue to defend Google/Android.

Actually, I don't agree that he is a troll user. He had a very reasoned argument about the numbers. And when you take the numbers into account, the headline deserves a comment, at least: the operative verb in the headline is "earns"; accurate reporting should be "earned."

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #51 of 87
Maybe Google should just $hit can Android altogether if they aren't making much money from it.
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Maybe Google should just $hit can Android altogether if they aren't making much money from it.

500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them. Based on your little rant, your world revolves around the phone in your hand and your judgment of others revolves around theirs. I weep for our future. I hope you do not have any real responsibility in life.

The general belief here is that he is 14.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Enough said. If my 14 year old had that attitude I would consider myself a massive failure.
post #55 of 87
Though obviously that kind of news is designed to delight iOS users, one wonders... heading into the trial with Oracle, it would be in their interest to make the Android revenues as small as possible. I wonder if those numbers are trustworthy.
post #56 of 87
Quote:

500 Mil? Not much money? You do realize just because a company does not make as much money as Apple they are no considered failures? A profit is a profit, people are employed, money is coming in. Sounds pretty good. Unless of course the whole world can be run on iPods, iPhones, iPads and Mac's???? Hard to ride my iPad to work, eat my Mac for lunch.

Revenue is not profit. If you take his comment unsarcastically and view it in regards to all of the money Google has poured into Android, then he's saying 500mil may not make Google much money.
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Revenue is not profit. If you take his comment unsarcastically and view it in regards to all of the money Google has poured into Android, then he's saying 500mil may not make Google much money.

To make any money is worth pursuing, it is employing people.
post #58 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In other word's if you don't want to use it as just a feature phone.

If you dont want to use Gmail, the Apps market and any other google products you never have to register. You can still install apps from other sources, load amazon app market, use other email protocols such as imap, pop3 or exchange.
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you ever run out of material or just simply don't feel up to trolling at the moment, bookmark this page as a resource. The MG Siegler version would fit right in with a post like this with some readers not even noticing you didn't author it yourself. It's a real time-saver:

EDIT: On second thought I'll give you more credit than that. Your post was more of a "Mad as Hell" Gruber. My bad.

Hello? Anybody home?

What are you blabbering on about?
post #60 of 87
Quote:

To make any money is worth pursuing, it is employing people.

You, my friend, need to understand something about "cost of capital."
post #61 of 87
Quote:

12.5 billion-- the price Google paid for Motorola-- now that's a lot of money.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hello? Anybody home?

What are you blabbering on about?

I take it you didnt visit that site
post #63 of 87
Quote:

Of course you could always click over to the Android version and pretty much be done with 90% of the "stupid fanboys let me explain it to you" stuff we get here. But that wouldn't be any fun, since, um, this is an Apple centric site and all.

Do you think anyone on an Android centric site ever recommends "how to be an Android troll" to their fellow posters? Probably not, because that would be so fucked up.
post #64 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

I take it you didnt visit that site

Oh, I did. Great site. I just could not reconcile his second para with his first.

Must be slow today....
post #65 of 87
Now that's the epitome of irony.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I'll think about what you've said, but I'd also like to add some thoughts. In 2008 Apple sold ~12million iPhones. If Android activations are ~850k devices/day and increasing all of those iPhone sales are negated in ~15 days (not including the delta with iPhone sales). Plus all of those Android devices are better equipped for generating ad revenue than an iPhone in 2008.

Yes, as you rightly point out LucianA's logic is utterly absurd. Here's another example". He says:

"Even now there are 300 million Android devices and about 350 million iOS devices, but since Android is growing about twice as fast, it should surpass it soon. Same for the apps."

Therefore there are only 50m more iOS devices than Android or 16.7% more.

* But According to Google's own testimony to Congress, two thirds of Google mobile searches come from iOS devices.

* According to the article, Apple's revenue from Apps is $4.9 billion: that's more than 14.5 times Android's revenue of just $0.34 billion.

Evidence is mounting that the countless billions of dollars that Google have wasted in creating Android and in the process betraying Steve Jobs' trust and alienating Apple and misleading consumers with its dysfunctional, fragmented copy-cat rip-off of iOS, will come to be recognised as one of the greatest mistakes in corporate history.

This article may signal time to short Google.

As our dear, departed friend Slappy might say

"Google and Android are doomed....DOOMED I say"
post #67 of 87
Quote:

That's nonsense.

$500 M was REVENUE, not profit. They have to pay for all the costs of operating their ad network. They have to pay for Android development. They have to pay for any legal expenses. And they paid $12,500 M for Motorola mobility.

It's not clear that they made any money at all - and even if they did, it's not clear that $12,500 M for MM was a good investment.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Of course you could always click over to the Android version and pretty much be done with 90% of the "stupid fanboys let me explain it to you" stuff we get here. But that wouldn't be any fun, since, um, this is an Apple centric site and all.

Do you think anyone on an Android centric site ever recommends "how to be an Android troll" to their fellow posters? Probably not, because that would be so fucked up.

I think that's where I saw the original link. It was mentioned in an article on an Android site and linked to the Android troll helper. Ya gotta have a sense of humor sometimes or just make yourself nuts.
post #69 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, I did. Great site. I just could not reconcile his second para with his first.

Must be slow today....

I suppose. His post wasn't profane, unlike the Siegler version. His was closer to a mad Gruber IMO, thus the EDIT comments.
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Once Siri is out of beta, why would anyone use google in safari to search for something?

They will still continue to use Google through Siri as they do know.
Siri is not a search engine., It is a user interface.
What do you think Siri uses as a search engine? Google (though it also uses Yahoo! & Bing)
post #71 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They will still continue to use Google through Siri as they do know.
Siri is not a search engine., It is a user interface.
What do you think Siri uses as a search engine? Google (though it also uses Yahoo! & Bing)

When Siri searches Google it does so anonymously, not giving any user data or leaving cookies, so Google is unable to monetize the user information with advertisers.

This represents a serious long term danger for Google.
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

When Siri searches Google it does so anonymously, not giving any user data or leaving cookies, so Google is unable to monetize the user information with advertisers.

This represents a serious long term danger for Google.

What services does Siri use Google for? I'm aware of Maps but I can't think of anything else. Most of it seems to rely on Wlofram-Alpha, with a distant second by Yelp. If it can't find a result it asks you if you want search Google (assuming you have chosen that search engine in iOS settings) and then it's called in the Safari search window if you press the button.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Either Google is lying about [misrepresenting] its Android income * or stupid for continuing the Android quest at the risk of alienating Apple and losing income... Or both!

* to minimize penalties

And the $12 billion MMI purchase isn't going to get them to where they want to go...

What we need now is something akin to 'click to flash' for iOS that blocks any Google ad unless the user allows it.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I doubt that. I find it likely that many people buy the iPhone as the "default" purchase. Many people buy because of their friend's recommendation. Many people buy due to the salesman's recommendation. Many buy for many different reasons.

If the iPhone were some sort of unusual choice, you might have a valid point. but when the product is the standard default product for newbies, your conclusion is unsupportable.

That's your comeback to "Everyone buys an iPhone specifically BECAUSE they want an iPhone"????

Weakest...
counterargument...
EVER.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #75 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What we need now is something akin to 'click to flash' for iOS that blocks any Google ad unless the user allows it.

I selectively block access to Google services with Little Snitch.

"www.google-analytics wants access on TCP port 80"

NOPE!

BLOCK. ALL. FOREVER.

Yay.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #76 of 87
Quote:

Pray, do tell, how the hell a fan of Apple products on a Apple-related website is 'trolling'?

Quote:

Or Android users do not rely on their tech to define them.

Quote:

Enough said. If my 14 year old had that attitude I would consider myself a massive failure.

Don't lose hope.

Anybody who had reached the point of procreating yet chosen a username of 'Hellacool' could probably still claim dibs on that massive failure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

The general belief among who specifically?

I ask, because it's probably just you...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than your 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than your 6 Plus...
post #77 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The numbers just don't add up. If there are more android devices running google search, google maps, and everything google that ios devices run, then their revenue should be higher from android than ios. Unless... The majority of android devices aren't running google search, maps, etc..

It is all about costs and what they can write off. Because they produce Android source code, their profit on Android is all their income minus costs.

Apart from bidding on Motorola, they also made many purchases of either small companies or IP portfolios related to Android. This is all written off against Android profits. Their total income from Android could far exceed that from Apple and they could still be making less profit from Android.

This type of long term development is common in large companies, and Google are betting on things being very different in a couple of years time.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Of course, their thinking may be that Apple was likely to cut them out at some point even if they played nice so better to be master of your own destiny, which I can't really fault them for.

I seem to come down on this side of your analysis. I believe Apple wisely realizes it can make a nice income, which is constantly growing, from within its ecosystem. That said, Apple must also realize the importance of its core technologies that the "Apple Experience" require. I'm sure Apple hasn't abandoned the principles that got them where they are today, and Apple is right on schedule for future innovation. Apple will do what Apple does best; producing an integrated hardware and software solution to people who know the technology, can afford it, and already have agreed that the Apple experience is really all they need.
post #79 of 87
This is actually a very good article explaining the revenue of Google and Apple's Ad revenue.
Google has by now, must have understood that how critical Apple is to them.

But some of the most popular apps in iTunes store are free in Android Market. Thus Google hardly makes money on them. Advertising is the only channel it earns good.
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

yea, you just reminded us how smart were Apple haters
so Google earns from users "clicking" on ads
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android