or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone closes in on Android in growing U.S. smartphone market

iPhone closes in on Android in growing U.S. smartphone market

post #1 of 49
As of February, smartphone users accounted for nearly half of all wireless subscribers in the U.S., and Apple's iPhone adoption rate saw growth while Android handset activations slipped.

According to new data from Nielsen published on Thursday, sales of Apple's iPhone accounted for 43 percent of all new smartphone purchases over the past three months, a 6 percent increase from the period ending in December, while Android's share fell nearly 4 percent to cover 48 percent of activations.

Riding on strong iPhone 4S sales, Apple's iOS is slowly closing the gap with Google's Android OS and now accounts for 32 percent of all smartphones. The iPhone isn't eating into Android's market, however, and is instead picking up deserters from RIM's sinking BlackBerry platform.

Android remained top dog and took 48 percent of the smartphone market, while RIM accounted for a 12 percent share. Other devices like Windows Phone and Symbian filled out the list with an 8 percent stake.

The smartphone market as a whole took 49.7 percent of all mobile subscribers, a 38 percent increase form the same time last year when feature phones dominated the landscape.

During the three months ending in February, more than two-thirds of those who purchased a new mobile device opted for a smartphone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 49
A forum poster just said that Android is growing much faster than iOS? This seems to counter that claim.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A forum poster just said that Android is growing much faster than iOS? This seems to counter that claim.

"was"

Quite a few people must have wised up.

I thought this would happen with the 6th gen phone coming out later this year. Never did I expect it to happen with the 4S.

Android is in trouble.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"was"

I thought this would happen with the 6th gen phone coming out later this year. Never did I expect it to happen with the 4S.

Android is in trouble.

That qualifies for the "Doomed" tag doesn't it?
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 49
This can't be all the fandroids tells us that 850000 droids are activated each day!
This comes from the head fandroid himself Andy Fandroid Rubin.
post #6 of 49
That is amazing. Apple against the world. And Apple is not even on T-Mobile

And it gets better with the new iPhone release coming. And, could the 4S actually go to $99 and the 4 go for $0? Well, that would be a slam dunk

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

This can't be all the fandroids tells us that 850000 droids are activated each day!

850k is the whole world i suppose

I won't be surprised if Android is doing much better relatively in non-US countries than US. Here the US carriers are very restrictive and it's not good for an OS like Android. Plus iPhone 4S is the 1st phone with 3 of the 4 major US cairrers selling/promoting it.
post #8 of 49
The reason is the 3GS free and 99$ iPhone 4. Right now apple is competing on price and android has the variety of models. Where iPhone will get the lead is in business. Android is notorious for malware...
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That qualifies for the "Doomed" tag doesn't it?

Not quite... Android hasn't hit "beleaguered" yet.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #10 of 49
Quote:

Not quite... Android hasn't hit "beleaguered" yet.

It is difficult to consider a platform with rapidly increasing sales "beleaguered".

Maybe that's part of the reason?
post #11 of 49
Of course Apple is taking some share from Android if it's share declined 4% contrary to the statement in this article. Who the hell else would have? The author was looking at the wrong stats.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

It is difficult to consider a platform with rapidly increasing sales "beleaguered".

Maybe that's part of the reason?

Google doesn't sell Android, nor does it sell phones.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #13 of 49
Quote:

Google doesn't sell Android, nor does it sell phones.

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
post #14 of 49
Quote:

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Google doesn't make any revenue from android other than ad revenue.

One report basically says that another os gives google more mobile ad revenue than their own product.

Why would you continue to support something that gives you such little return? You could sell the os to another company and let them develop it. The return in ad revenue would be the same.

Android is definitely heading to beleaguered... give it time.

{... and besides... you talked about "rapidly increasing sales"... again, Google does not sell Android, nor does it sell phones]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #15 of 49
I'm honestly surprised that RIM deserters are going to iOS over Android. The one thing I hear from people who still cling to their Blackberries is that they can email faster from it than any other device. So you'd think they'd go with the platform that offers phones with physical keyboards - less of a learning curve. It'd be interesting to know what the psychology is there. Perhaps iOS works better with Exchange than Android?
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

I'm honestly surprised that RIM deserters are going to iOS over Android. The one thing I hear from people who still cling to their Blackberries is that they can email faster from it than any other device. So you'd think they'd go with the platform that offers phones with physical keyboards - less of a learning curve. It'd be interesting to know what the psychology is there. Perhaps iOS works better with Exchange than Android?

They just want a "good" phone...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #17 of 49
Quote:

Rapidly increasing sales because it's cheap (and nasty). I'd call that "beleaguered".

Considering the number of companies that are combined to provide Android statistics, this is an extremely poor showing when the competition is a single company.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #18 of 49
Quote:

I get email on my iPhone through GMail/Exchange faster than I do on my desktop with GMail notifications.

As for QWERTY keyboards... more phones are sold without keyboards these days.

And judging by RIM's recent earnings call... it looks like the Blackberry's spectacular keyboards are no longer in great demand.
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Rapidly increasing sales because it's cheap (and nasty). I'd call that "beleaguered".

Considering the number of companies that are combined to provide Android statistics, this is an extremely poor showing when the competition is a single company.

Agreed.

I never understood the "we sell more" argument from Android fans... especially when it's comprised of so many mid to low-end phones.

Shouldn't all those crappy phones weight against Android as a platform?
post #20 of 49
Quote:

I guess that is just one manner in which you "Think different".
post #21 of 49
Android/OEM devices are collectively, mass-produced junk in varying states of usability. Its advantage? It's mass-produced. Just flood the market and there you go.

The lazy man's way to majority share. And a lousy User Experience for hapless consumers.
post #22 of 49
Quote:

I guess that is just one manner in which you "Think different".

Hell, my friend, you could even take the 'Different' off the end of that quote and you would still be spot on!
post #23 of 49
This is a much better stat for iPhone than the Christmas win. A Christmas win was almost a given with a new iPhone and cheaper old versions. The fact that this strong growth is continuing well after the new iPhone rush really puts the pressure on Android makers.

Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One launch in Q2. These are the flagship phones for these companies. If these dont lead to a turn around then it will be a long, long year for Android.
post #24 of 49
[QUOTE=Red Oak;2084202]That is amazing. Apple against the world. And Apple is not even on T-Mobile

post #25 of 49
Quote:

did you really read the article???? that was US alone not the whole world....Keep trolling
post #26 of 49
The fandroids will spin this every possible way to make them selves feel better, this we can be sure of.
lame ass android... so lame
and lame ass fandroids.... so so lame. I almost feel sorry for the poor fools. NOT!!!
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

The fandroids will spin this every possible way to make them selves feel better, this we can be sure of.
lame ass android... so lame
and lame ass fandroids.... so so lame. I almost feel sorry for the poor fools. NOT!!!

What's lame is this preemptive declaration.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

What's lame is this preemptive declaration.

preempte? whatever... android is lame, and was put out there for free for the lamer. Get a clue.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

850k is the whole world i suppose

I won't be surprised if Android is doing much better relatively in non-US countries than US. Here the US carriers are very restrictive and it's not good for an OS like Android. Plus iPhone 4S is the 1st phone with 3 of the 4 major US cairrers selling/promoting it.

Probably right as China and India dwarf any other area in terms of mobile phones in use. Like the USA, cheap is paramount in their purchase decisions and that's where Android excels.

Which is why discussions like this are like comparing Ford's growth rates to BMW's. Irrelevant.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I don't think Google is going to abandon android that easily. From what I've seen, based on ICS and other announcements, it seems that Google's intent with android is to expand it beyond the phone/tablet market. And with intel throwing x86 support behind android, I think it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Micosoft have tried this before with "windows everywhere" and we all know how that turned out, so I don't think this will work out for google either.

An IDC report from just a couple days ago predicts Android and ARM overtaking Microsoft and x86 in device market share by 2016
post #31 of 49
Quote:

"was"

Android is in trouble.

This, along with increased disinterest by developers who are finding it hard to monetize on the huge Android marketshare, spells a bit of trouble for the Android platform. I wouldn't say that Android is going away as some people are suggesting but it's going to slowly lose marketshare in the next few months.
post #32 of 49
Quote:

That guy Rubin is so full of $hit... but the Android fanboys eat it up like it's gospel. Talk about a cult... Android has become a religion... one with the most fervent, zealous adherents.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqro View Post

That guy Rubin is so full of $hit... but the Android fanboys eat it up like it's gospel. Talk about a cult... Android has become a religion... one with the most fervent, zealous adherents.

Is that a "gut feeling" or did you come across some citation that shows his claim of 850K new Android activations on average each day (current rate) isn't true?
post #34 of 49
Quote:

"was"

Android is in trouble.

Lest we all lose the forest for the trees, MobiThinking (who has every mobile stat you'd ever wish to know and several you might even rather not see) has a reality check:

"The media tends to overegg the importance of smartphones and Apple in particular. Before media hype lulls you into focusing your marketing/development budget on smartphones or the Apple platform exclusively, consider this: 61.3 percent of handsets sold in 2011 were not smartphones, they were feature phones; 94 percent of all phones sold were not Apple.
N.B. smartphone sales is not the same as market penetration. Market penetration of smartphones will be lower. There are almost 6 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide (Source: ITU), yet only 968.2 million smartphones have been sold in total in 2009, 2010 and 2011, according to IDC i.e. only 16 percent of global mobile subscriptions."
http://mobithinking.com/blog/2011-ha...es-big-picture
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

That is amazing. Apple against the world. And Apple is not even on T-Mobile

And it gets better with the new iPhone release coming. And, could the 4S actually go to $99 and the 4 go for $0? Well, that would be a slam dunk

I bet this is all due to the Verizon/Sprint effect - it's slowly taking hold on those carriers, and those carriers can now tone down their pro-Android ads; while they still make more on Android handsets than on iPhones, pushing Android is now not a life-or-death situation for them anymore.

My mom (65) just got an iPhone. I didn't force it on her, or even suggest it. She did that all on her own. That alone spells trouble for Android. She's loving it, too, even though I just broke the news to her that her phone can play "the mp3s" and can do that rather well - she had no idea.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An IDC report from just a couple days ago predicts Android and ARM overtaking Microsoft and x86 in device market share by 2016

I'd be wary of IDC. They also recently announced that x86 is going to overtake ARM in the embedded space:

"According to IDC's figures, ARM had 71 per cent of the processors in embedded systems last year, but by 2016 this share will nearly halve to 38 per cent. By contrast, x86 systems, which currently have 8 per cent of the market, will grow to 41 per cent..."

While its not impossible that ARM will overtake x86 for non-embedded systems, and x86 to simultaneously overtake ARM in embedded systems, it seems unlikely.

EDIT: story link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...igent_systems/
post #37 of 49
I had an HTC Tilt 2 for internal company applications. One week my wife decides she wants a mobile phone, having gotten tired of searches for pay phones. Next week, it refuses to boot. Out an AT&T store to pick up a 3GS for only $0.99, plus fees.
post #38 of 49
Quote:

The main reason Android is still ahead of the game, which surprises the heck out of me since I hardly see anyone with an Android but with an iPhone 4 or 4S is the carriers are selling the Android phones really cheap. Sure, when the new model is first introduced, it is sold comparably priced to the iPhone. Only the early adopters get them, but within several months the price rapidly declines to nothing with a contract. Compare this to the iPhone where users are willing to pay $159/199 (lowest in Canada) for the iPhone 8+ months after launch. What does that tell you about the iPhone?
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

The main reason Android is still ahead of the game, which surprises the heck out of me since I hardly see anyone with an Android but with an iPhone 4 or 4S is the carriers are selling the Android phones really cheap. Sure, when the new model is first introduced, it is sold comparably priced to the iPhone. Only the early adopters get them, but within several months the price rapidly declines to nothing with a contract. Compare this to the iPhone where users are willing to pay $159/199 (lowest in Canada) for the iPhone 8+ months after launch. What does that tell you about the iPhone?

The Samsung Galaxy II is only $50 less. Furthermore, the Galaxy II is outselling the cheaper HTC and Moto phones.

So the point about Android only selling because of price is a flawed one. Price matters, but not the only thing that matters. Android is a platform losing its direction but the arguments about iPhone surge here are misdirected. Case in point above.
post #40 of 49
Quote:

I think people just really like the keyboard. I was really upset when our company went from the Blackberry Bold to the Samsung Note. I loved having a keyboard and I still miss it. As far as the iPhone closing the gap well that's great but there are some pretty nice phones that are coming out in Q2 so we will have to see those numbers again after 3 months.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone closes in on Android in growing U.S. smartphone market