or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What exactly is Obama responsible for?

What exactly is Obama responsible for?

post #1 of 28
I mean aside from his gigantic health care bill that will likely be found unconstitutional?

We are told that spending from tax cuts that ran during his term or renewed during his term are not really part of his deficit spending.

We are told that the Volt began two years before his terms and that Bush initiated the bailouts of automakers and banks.

Programs that generated the Solyndra scandal, sorry those are from Bush as well.

Iraq war, helped continue the Bush time table for ending it.

Afghanistan war, doubled down on it but none of the spending on that really counts toward Obama because he didn't start it.

The stimulus, not really Obama's because they reopened the last year of the Bush terms and inserted the spending into that fiscal year.

What exactly has President Obama done to claim responsibility for in four years and to deserve reelection when everything else was the started by, continued from or a left over responsibility of everyone else?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 28
He's responsible for all of the good things that have happened in the last 3 years, 2 months, 11 days. Which are...

...ummm...

...well...

...Well, I'm sure there's something.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

He's responsible for all of the good things that have happened in the last 3 years, 2 months, 11 days. Which are...

...ummm...

...well...

...Well, I'm sure there's something.

Don't you know, MJ? He's responsible for saving the economy from depression and making sure unemployment isn't much worse. He's also responsible for "increasing oil production," ending the Iraq War, "cutting taxes," and passing landmark healthcare reform and making other countries like us better! He's done all this amazing stuff despite dealing with racist Tea Party and The Party of No™. He's the fourth best President of all time!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 28

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 28
Has anybody else noticed the ever changing, disgusting narrative that liberals lay forth in their comical defense of Obama, ever since he got elected?

First it was "Yo dude! You can't criticize him yet, he's only been in office 1 month!"

Then that changed to "Yo dude, You can't really criticize Obama, as he's only been in office for 3 months now! Give the man a chance!"

That, combined with "It's Bush's fault!" went on for the whole first year, and even well beyond that.

Eventually, as months turned into years, many supporters, including even the dumbest liberals out there and the Obamabots realized that it was time to change their talking points, so then I started to read excuses like "Jeez, he's only one man! There's only so much power that he has! He's not in control of everything!" This was still sometimes followed by a "It's all Bush's fault!" combined with the obligatory racism accusation coming from an extremely racist liberal.

The fact of the matter is that Obama has failed miserably, regardless of which metrics one uses.

I am going to have a little party if and when the Obama regime gets kicked out. I also expect some violence and riots to break out in certain places in this country, and I will be enjoying every moment of it. The Obamabots will stick with their leader until the very end. It'll be like watching an American version of "Downfall", which is currently on Netflix by the way.
post #6 of 28
Quote:

The first example it gave me was increase fuel economy standards starting four years after he is defeated this fall or after he leaves office from a second term.

The second example was to launch a website, Recovery.gov to track his completely ineffective stimulus.

Reelect me and you won't get jobs, but you will get a website to see who I paid off to get reelected!!!

Another one, pass the stimulus, only that spending wasn't his and really, it started with Bush, and...well... you sort of get the point. Only maybe you don't since everything that hasn't worked really wasn't done by Obama.

The next example... he issued an executive order to close Guantanamo Bay, how has that worked out?

Really, someone needs to try a hell of a lot harder.

post #7 of 28
I think that countries (and families and individuals) are successful when they face up to their problems and unsuccessful when they brush them under the carpet too long.

Say what you want about Bush, but at least when the terrorist attacks happened he faced up to it and went after them.

Well the problems that need tackling today are entitlement programs grown too big and Obama is not tackling it. And it needs to be a Democrat that solves this, because if Republicans try to do it, the left will just demagogue them out of habit. Same as Clinton was able to get welfare reform through.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Say what you want about Bush, but at least when the terrorist attacks happened he faced up to it and went after them.

He went after whom? Saudi Arabia?

He went after someone completely unconnected, and someone who had originally, several times, denied a connection.

WITH BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND THOUSANDS OF LIVES.

Of course, Obama didn't leave as early as he should have.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well the problems that need tackling today are entitlement programs grown too big and Obama is not tackling it. And it needs to be a Democrat that solves this, because if Republicans try to do it, the left will just demagogue them out of habit. Same as Clinton was able to get welfare reform through.

Obama has tackled the primary entitlement issue, by far - rising health costs. And Republicans spent the 2010 election campaigning on how Obama is going to cut Medicare and ration care.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Obama has tackled the primary entitlement issue, by far - rising health costs. And Republicans spent the 2010 election campaigning on how Obama is going to cut Medicare and ration care.

Tackled it by crafting (likely) unconstitutional legislation that will cost twice as much as TOUTED per the Washington Post fact checker.

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I mean aside from his gigantic health care bill that will likely be found unconstitutional?

We are told that spending from tax cuts that ran during his term or renewed during his term are not really part of his deficit spending.

We are told that the Volt began two years before his terms and that Bush initiated the bailouts of automakers and banks.

Programs that generated the Solyndra scandal, sorry those are from Bush as well.

Iraq war, helped continue the Bush time table for ending it.

Afghanistan war, doubled down on it but none of the spending on that really counts toward Obama because he didn't start it.

The stimulus, not really Obama's because they reopened the last year of the Bush terms and inserted the spending into that fiscal year.

What exactly has President Obama done to claim responsibility for in four years and to deserve reelection when everything else was the started by, continued from or a left over responsibility of everyone else?

Obama bailed out the auto industry. Bush did not do this.Solyndra was the headache from the Obama administration. No account of where the money went.Another coverup by Obama.
post #12 of 28
Quote:

Healthcare costs are not going down, they are going up. He rammed it through as a backdoor to single payer with zero bipartisan support. If upheld, it will lead to rationed care (it has too) and major Medicare cuts WILL kick in. Stop lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The first example it gave me was increase fuel economy standards starting four years after he is defeated this fall or after he leaves office from a second term.

The second example was to launch a website, Recovery.gov to track his completely ineffective stimulus.

Reelect me and you won't get jobs, but you will get a website to see who I paid off to get reelected!!!

Another one, pass the stimulus, only that spending wasn't his and really, it started with Bush, and...well... you sort of get the point. Only maybe you don't since everything that hasn't worked really wasn't done by Obama.

The next example... he issued an executive order to close Guantanamo Bay, how has that worked out?

Really, someone needs to try a hell of a lot harder.

I got like four "signed financial reform bill" examples, all making vague claims like "protecting everyday Americans from X...." Then I went to the site again. Here is what I got:
  • Increased funding for national parks and forests by 10%
  • Significantly expanded Pell grants, which help low income students pay for college
  • Expanded hate crime law in the US to include sexual orientation through the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
  • Provided stimulus funding to boost private sector spaceflight programs
  • Appointed nation's first Chief Technology Officer (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Signed financial reform law requiring lenders to verify applicants' credit history, income, and employment status (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading (trading the bank's own money to turn a profit, often in conflict with their customers' interests) (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Signed financial reform law allowing shareholders of publicly traded companies to vote on executive pay (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Cut prescription drug cost for medicare recipients by 50% (I'd love to see some more data supporting that one)
  • Provided $12.2 Billion in new funding for Individuals With Disabilities Education Act
    (repeat from last visit to site)
  • Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
  • Appointed more openly gay officials than any other president in US history

I'll just stop there. Anyone see anything about foreign policy? Energy independence? Fiscal policy? Unemployment? Of course not. It's mostly a list of things Obama threw our money at. Meanwhile, Rome continues to burn. And BR thinks we're doing great.
post #13 of 28
Wait...I went back again and got this:

The American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009: a $789 billion economic stimulus plan

post #14 of 28
I want to ask trumptman and SDW: in 2010, Republicans took the House campaigning largely on how Obama is going to cut Medicare and ration care. The tea parties were mostly old people, after all.

A few days ago, House Republicans voted to remove the IPAB, which they say will ration care ("death panels!"). From what i can tell, republicans and conservatives all agree on this.

The truth is that Obamacare does cut Medicare, and does institute "panels" like the IPAB that are specifically designed to control health costs. They say that if these cost control mechanisms are given real teeth, it could produce even larger savings than already projected, especially in the out years.

My question is whether you agree with Republicans on their opposition to these parts of Obamacare.
post #15 of 28
SDW how can you lie
And say you didn't see anything about energy independence? Alternative energy is the only viable course
Toward Long term energy Independence.
post #16 of 28
Quote:

I want to ask trumptman and SDW: in 2010, Republicans took the House campaigning largely on how Obama is going to cut Medicare and ration care. The tea parties were mostly old people, after all.

A few days ago, House Republicans voted to remove the IPAB, which they say will ration care ("death panels!"). From what i can tell, republicans and conservatives all agree on this.

The truth is that Obamacare does cut Medicare, and does institute "panels" like the IPAB that are specifically designed to control health costs. They say that if these cost control mechanisms are given real teeth, it could produce even larger savings than already projected, especially in the out years.

My question is whether you agree with Republicans on their opposition to these parts of Obamacare.

A couple points, first the majority of all tea party folks I've encountered, the majority of the signs in that very pointed picture and the majority of all literature I've read deals largely with strengthening fiscal restraint within the Republican Party. I've said that the Perot Party and Libertarians are largely conservative but don't always vote Republican and that is what I believe the Tea Party mostly represented.

Now the second point is that I've no idea where you get that the main focus of clear push of the Tea Party involved Medicare. I have no doubt there are some parts of the country where it could have played out that way or perhaps where Republicans injected that message into their campaign.

So finally we get to the final point, what is happening with Medicare and who will do what with it. Obama wants to extract savings from Medicare. Now the true point is it needs to be cut PERIOD. However Obama is seeking to cut it while throwing vast sums of money into Medicaid and increasing the eligibility there to 133% of the poverty level.

That makes the case pretty easy to show that it isn't about shared sacrifice and instead is about purchasing votes from different people.

I've not seen a Republican proposal that calls for cuts but at the same creates new entitlements. Could a certain percentage of people still be ticked off about that the proposed cuts like in the Ryan budget? Sure they can but the reality is that we need shared sacrificed to get to a balance. That doesn't preclude anyone from playing politics though and if Obama to make such obvious moves as declaring we are cutting while radically expanding spending to the tune of trillions, then people aren't going to associate him with hope and change and instead will associate him with trickery and deception.

As for my personal position, I've declared that the Laffer curve does indeed work and is sound economic theory but that we aren't on the wrong side of it right now and that Bush and any other Republican are wrong to take people off the tax rolls. Obama could have just let it expire but instead he wanted to tax the rich so he had to extend it to everyone to get more unemployment benefits. Letting it expire, letting folks suffer with only almost two years of unemployment and having everyone pay a bit more would have actually been a very prudent thing. He didn't do it though.

I also said that if he had spent the entire stimulus building safe nuclear power plants he would have easily been reelected (Not sure you were here for that.) Finally I said if he stopped Pax Americana and actually attempted to bring a large number of troops home to create a true peace dividend and spent it on just expanding existing medical programs that service those without that he wouldn't have had much of a problem. He obviously didn't do that either. I say these things because they would have been great positions and would be easy to portray as a third way. Nuclear power in modern reactors is safe and would help get us off oil. Ending America as empire and taking troops out of Europe and parts of Asia can still easily be accomplished. Letting the Bush tax cuts expire would have easily associated him with Clinton in terms of tax rates and also didn't cost any political capital. I mention these also because the claim is that Republicans want the president to fail and that isn't true. I don't want anyone to fail but if they are a hard partisan with hack solutions, and that is what Obama has proven to be, then they will fail regardless of what I want or hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

SDW how can you lie
And say you didn't see anything about energy independence? Alternative energy is the only viable course

It isn't the only viable course and having the narrow view that anyone who disagrees with you is a liar or stupid is an extreme position.

post #17 of 28
Hope and change of course.
post #18 of 28
Quote:

He went after whom? Saudi Arabia?

He went after someone completely unconnected, and someone who had originally, several times, denied a connection.

WITH BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND THOUSANDS OF LIVES.

Of course, Obama didn't leave as early as he should have.

If I recall correctly, the Bin Laden family was allowed to leave the country soon after the attacks... by airplane, despite all flights being grounded. Even HW Bush couldn't fly.

Then, suddenly, Saddam was the big Evil Enemy #1 who was going to enter our backyards and eat our BBQ grills.

The result was the world saw the US as a flagrant aggressor.

Obama, though he continued what was already starters, gave the image of a more peaceful nation. Had he ended everything outright, the world would have been happier, but the Right in the US would have revolted. That is also a funny question to many around the world: why do these "good Christian conservatives" who value life so much spend so much of their time hating everything and starting wars?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #19 of 28
Quote:

SDW how can you lie

That is wrong. The first step is domestic fossil fuel production.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That is wrong. The first step is domestic fossil fuel production.

Oil companies, 1920:

There's oil aplenty in this Florida swampland, and I'll sell it to you REAL cheap!

Oil companies, 2010:

If you let us drill more and without stifling regulations (like the kind that would have prevented the Gulf oil spill), then your gas prices will go down, and it won't affect the environment at all!

Yep. There's a sucker born every minute.
post #21 of 28
The US put what percentage of the GDP into the Manhattan Project... for WAR?
The US put what percentage of the GDP into the Apollo Project... for WAR? (well, Cold War rivalry and missile technology investment masked as a national endeavor)
How much has been spent in Iraq? for WAR?

If we can spend so much time, energy and effort for WAR, why in the heck can't we invest in energy research?

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The US put what percentage of the GDP into the Apollo Project... for WAR? (well, Cold War rivalry and missile technology investment masked as a national endeavor)

If we can spend so much time, energy and effort for WAR, why in the heck can't we invest in energy research?

Because the right wing swallowed the profiteering bait hook, line, and sinker that drilling is somehow better. Gullible idiots.
post #23 of 28
Quote:

If I recall correctly, the Bin Laden family was allowed to leave the country soon after the attacks... by airplane, despite all flights being grounded. Even HW Bush couldn't fly.

Then, suddenly, Saddam was the big Evil Enemy #1 who was going to enter our backyards and eat our BBQ grills.

The result was the world saw the US as a flagrant aggressor.

Obama, though he continued what was already starters, gave the image of a more peaceful nation. Had he ended everything outright, the world would have been happier, but the Right in the US would have revolted. That is also a funny question to many around the world: why do these "good Christian conservatives" who value life so much spend so much of their time hating everything and starting wars?

Of course that's wrong but?

Please tell me what Bin Laden's family was guilty of that they should not be allowed to leave if they chose to? Guilty by association?
post #24 of 28
All flights were grounded. Why was one family given special privileges?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

All flights were grounded. Why was one family given special privileges?

If you can't figure that out you're a fucking moron.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

If you can't figure that out you're a fucking moron.

Ok, call me a fucking moron. Explain.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #27 of 28
Quote:

Oil companies, 1920:

There's oil aplenty in this Florida swampland, and I'll sell it to you REAL cheap!

Oil companies, 2010:

If you let us drill more and without stifling regulations (like the kind that would have prevented the Gulf oil spill), then your gas prices will go down, and it won't affect the environment at all!

Yep. There's a sucker born every minute.

Right, so we're still back to ignoring my examples on what increasing U.S. oil production does to the price of oil?
post #28 of 28
Quote:

I'll answer the former....$20 billion. As for Iraq, are you proposing a $1.2 Trillion alternative energy program?

Quote:

Because the right wing swallowed the profiteering bait hook, line, and sinker that drilling is somehow better. Gullible idiots.

Drilling is not "better." It's necessary. We need more production in the short term.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What exactly is Obama responsible for?