or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Leaving AO

Leaving AO

post #1 of 13
For reasons related to a sudden need to keep my life more private I will be leaving AO. This has nothing at all to do with politics (which I'm sick of but strongly compelled to fight for) or my career (which is great) or my family (which is even better). I'm also not in any trouble financially or with the law, and I have no plans to leave Hong Kong.

I'm glad that BRussell has returned, for obvious reasons. I expect certain members will be pleased with my departure, and may even be so classless as to leave a parting shot, but personally, I don't care. I will keep in touch through PM only with anyone who wants to. Keep up the good fight, Jimmac and BR and BRussel. Your contributions mean a lot to me and to the people who need you.

MJ, of all my opponents ideologically, I respect you the most. Be a good influence on Jazzguru, your mini-me.

Some other people can afford to stop being so gullible, but whatever, nothing that can happen here will ever change your POV. Only some kind of epiphany on your own part will ever manage to do that (as Fellowship had).

I first joined AI in 1997. It's been a very interesting 14 and a half or 15 years here!

Bye, all! Anyone who wants to keep in touch send me a PM. I won't say why I left, however.
post #2 of 13
I am sorry you'll be leaving.

Though we disagree sharply on many things (though agree on others), sparring with you has kept me on my toes and sharpened my thinking in many ways. I appreciate your note of respect and please know the feeling is mutual.

I'm glad you have clarified that all (or mostly all anyway) is well with your job, family and life.

I hope nothing untoward has happened with regard to your privacy.

Good luck, God bless and take care.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #3 of 13
If you're worried about privacy, you should probably pull a Shawn and ask for the admins to hide the almost 13,000 posts you have on here.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 13
How mysterious. This thread is now for fevered speculating as to why tonton is leaving.

My guess? One word: Wikileaks.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

How mysterious. This thread is now for fevered speculating as to why tonton is leaving.

My guess? One word: Wikileaks.

Ghost of Brussell did it!

post #6 of 13
Thanks for the parting jab, tonton. I greatly respect MJ1970 as he has done much to help me along my personal philosophical journey and helped me to understand the merits of libertarianism, voluntaryism, anarchism, etc.

So while your implication is that I don't think for myself (which is not true, since MJ and I have had our disagreements), I take your little jab as a compliment and an indication that you really do care.

And I say with sincerity you will be missed. It was nice to actually have conversations with someone of greatly different opinions without being constantly met with a barrage of profanity, vulgarity, mockery, ridicule, and personal attacks.

I only hope someday you come to the realization that the initiation of force or aggression against peaceful people is immoral and illegitimate, whether coming from an individual or group of individuals who call themselves a government.

Take care, and God be with you.

(And if this is a belated April Fool's joke, well played. )

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #7 of 13
Sorry to see you go, tonton...despite our sometimes ferocious arguments and disagreements. Keep in touch. I'd love to read more about the sudden privacy issue. Feel free to MSG me if you'd like. Take care,

SDW
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

(And if this is a belated April Fool's joke, well played. )

I considered that actually. Even double-checked the day...considered the international dateline issue...even the possibility that Chinese/HK culture has April Fool's day on the 3rd instead of the 1st.

Yes...it would be very well played. But I think it's real.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If you're worried about privacy, you should probably pull a Shawn and ask for the admins to hide the almost 13,000 posts you have on here.

I've had to do that in the past on another political forum I used to frequent. It sucks, but sometimes you need to keep certain things private for other personal and/or business things to run smoothly. You never know when something that has nothing to do with politics can be sabotaged because someone with a different political view considers your opinion on something unrelated to your relationship to be a 'deal breaker'.
post #10 of 13
Goodbye and Best Wishes.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

For reasons related to a sudden need to keep my life more private I will be leaving AO. This has nothing at all to do with politics (which I'm sick of but strongly compelled to fight for) or my career (which is great) or my family (which is even better). I'm also not in any trouble financially or with the law, and I have no plans to leave Hong Kong.

I'm glad that BRussell has returned, for obvious reasons. I expect certain members will be pleased with my departure, and may even be so classless as to leave a parting shot, but personally, I don't care. I will keep in touch through PM only with anyone who wants to. Keep up the good fight, Jimmac and BR and BRussel. Your contributions mean a lot to me and to the people who need you.

MJ, of all my opponents ideologically, I respect you the most. Be a good influence on Jazzguru, your mini-me.

Some other people can afford to stop being so gullible, but whatever, nothing that can happen here will ever change your POV. Only some kind of epiphany on your own part will ever manage to do that (as Fellowship had).

I first joined AI in 1997. It's been a very interesting 14 and a half or 15 years here!

Bye, all! Anyone who wants to keep in touch send me a PM. I won't say why I left, however.

Good luck in your life.It has been a pleasure to read your posts since I joined and I had learned quite a bit from your opinions also.Marv
post #12 of 13
Tonton,

Could you make an exception and inform trumptman of exactly why your privacy concerns are important enough to you that you will never ever, ever post here again?

It was a real joy to see you point out the failings, lies, hypocrisy and outright misconceptions of some of the right wing posters here. You didn't stand for it and I will miss you for it.

All the best,

Kind regards,

Hands.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #13 of 13
NO PLEASE

Please reconsider.

I have been away on an extended break and just now felt the nudge to visit this place and I will truly miss you if this is the case.

I hope very much that you will pop in and visit us tonton as I have quite a lot of admiration and respect you you and your family!

I wish you only the best and I hope that means we all can see more of you here!

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Leaving AO