or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › European Commission investigating Motorola for suspected patent abuse

European Commission investigating Motorola for suspected patent abuse - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Apple has been pretty consistent that it wants an open web (why? because it can sell more devices. Surely the memories of IE6 haven't vacated your mind already). Standards aren't created overnight so two years doesn't seem all that long to me. Maybe Apple would like to make sure the standard is done right and makes sense for future development.

I don't believe they are consistent in their approach to open standards. A standard on web widgets? Nope, Apple won't contribute their IP to W3C.
http://www.itnewspost.com/apple/web-...idget-patents/

How about a touch standard? No again, Apple's IP is more valuable as a bludgeon.
http://www.fosspatents.com/2011/07/a...-wide-web.html

Well what about the open books standard? Nope, again not in Apple's interest.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-a...tal-books/4378

Unless you meant consistently uncooperative lately. . .
melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't believe they are consistent in their approach to open standards. A standard on web widgets? Nope, Apple won't contribute their IP to W3C.
http://www.itnewspost.com/apple/web-...idget-patents/

How about a touch standard? No again, Apple's IP is more valuable as a bludgeon.

Well what about the open books standard? Nope, again not in Apple's interest.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-a...tal-books/4378

Unless you meant consistently uncooperative lately. . .

Errr, if you read my post you quoted you will read "open web." I didn't mention any of those other technologies. Apple doesn't have to support any and all standards. But if it supports a standard, I haven't seen any evidence that it revokes its patents and then tries to sue the pants off of people who used them thinking the use of them was already paid for. I wonder who that could be.

As for web widgets? Why exactly does a standard need to be made for those? The internet won't break if there is no standard for a widget. Touch? Maybe. Depends upon what others have to offer. Why make it a standard if you are the only one contributing anything. Digital books? I would like to agree with you except for the fact that no one pushed for it before until Apple made a device that caused consumption of digital books to skyrocket. What were these organizations doing for the last decade?
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Errr, if you read my post you quoted you will read "open web." I didn't mention any of those other technologies. Apple doesn't have to support any and all standards. But if it supports a standard, I haven't seen any evidence that it revokes its patents and then tries to sue the pants off of people who used them thinking the use of them was already paid for. I wonder who that could be.

As for web widgets? Why exactly does a standard need to be made for those? The internet won't break if there is no standard for a widget. Touch? Maybe. Depends upon what others have to offer. Why make it a standard if you are the only one contributing anything. Digital books? I would like to agree with you except for the fact that no one pushed for it before until Apple made a device that caused consumption of digital books to skyrocket. What were these organizations doing for the last decade?

Understood. And FWIW I agree the thread has strayed far from it's original intent. I mentioned Apple only in passing with rregard to FRAND problems as a whole, which I should have anticipated would become the focus as well as attract complaints. My apologies.

Back to Motorola and ONLY Motorola...
post #44 of 51
Stop hijacking the goddamn thread with your FUD bullshit. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS YOUR ENTIRELY UNSUBSTANTIATED THEORY THAT APPLE IS SUBVERTING WEB STANDARDS, START YOUR OWN THREAD.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Stop hijacking the goddamn thread with your FUD bullshit. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS YOUR ENTIRELY UNSUBSTANTIATED THEORY THAT APPLE IS SUBVERTING WEB STANDARDS, START YOUR OWN THREAD.

See post 43. I already agreed with you.
post #46 of 51
Quote:

Why the hell would Apple want an open "touch standard" ?! By your reasoning, Apple should just give away their IP for free to every leach that desires it.

You forget how 'open' the web was before Apple influenced it. Remember the dominance of IE? Flash? etc
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Why the hell would Apple want an open "touch standard" ?! By your reasoning, Apple should just give away their IP for free to every leach that desires it.

You forget how 'open' the web was before Apple influenced it. Remember the dominance of IE? Flash? etc

I'm keeping the rest of my comments to Motorola.
post #48 of 51
Quote:

Fair enough.
post #49 of 51
Quote:

I don't know that applies specifically to Apple, nor was that claim made by me. ...

Classic GG, the hit and run when he gets called on his bull.

Is there anyone here who doesn't think he's being paid for this?
post #50 of 51
This will end as fast as it started. Someone is doing a favour for someone else, that is the only reason why this is taken place. Nothing will ever come of it.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #51 of 51
Quote:

At which point, he apparently had nothing to say.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › European Commission investigating Motorola for suspected patent abuse