or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS, Google's Android grow to 80% of US smartphone market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS, Google's Android grow to 80% of US smartphone market

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile platforms continued to grow over the last three months, accounting for 80.3 percent of the U.S. smartphone market.

The market domination by Apple and Google was tracked in the latest data from comScore, released on Tuesday. It showed that the iPhone grew 1.5 points between November of 2011 and February of 2012, giving Apple a 30.2 percent share of the domestic smartphone market.

Google's Android also grew over the last three months by 3.2 points, giving it more than half of the total U.S. smartphone market. Devices running Android now account for 50.1 percent of smartphone subscribers in America.

While Google and Apple gained ground, its competitors continued to slip. Research in Motion saw the greatest decrease, as the BlackBerry platform dropped 3.2 points to take 13.4 percent of subscribers in February.

Microsoft, too, saw its position slip, losing 1.3 points to 3.9 percent of the domestic market. Nokia's Symbian platform was flat at 1.5 percent.




As for hardware, comScore found that Apple ranked third among all mobile subscribers, covering both smartphones and "feature" phones. The iPhone accounted for 13.5 percent of all mobile subscribers in the U.S., up 2.3 points from November of 2011.

The leader in hardware was Samsung, which stayed flat with 25.6 percent of subscribers, while LG came in second with 19.4 percent, down 1.1 points from November. Motorola was behind Apple, in fourth, with 12.8 percent, down nine tenths of a point, and HTC came in fifth with 6.3 percent, up four tenths of a point.

comScore found that more than 104 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones in the three months ending in February. That's up 14 percent when compared to the three months that concluded in November.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 77
What's interesting is that Dell just dumped their Android smartphones, Google makes more money from ad revenue from iOS than Android. I wonder if Google has their heads screwed on correctly. If Google was smart, they would either have to dump Android or start charging $15 to $20 a head in order to make it worthwhile continuing development.
post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's interesting is that Dell just dumped their Android smartphones, Google makes more money from ad revenue from iOS than Android. I wonder if Google has their heads screwed on correctly. If Google was smart, they would either have to dump Android or start charging $15 to $20 a head in order to make it worthwhile continuing development.

Does the development really cost them much?

The only point is to sell ads, anyways. Even if iOS ads make more than Android ads, the Android ads still make money.
post #4 of 77
Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but what gives? I barely know anyone who owns an 'Android' phone...
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but what gives? I barely know anyone who owns an 'Android' phone...

How well do you need to know them to believe in the statistics?
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's interesting is that Dell just dumped their Android smartphones, Google makes more money from ad revenue from iOS than Android. I wonder if Google has their heads screwed on correctly. If Google was smart, they would either have to dump Android or start charging $15 to $20 a head in order to make it worthwhile continuing development.

If you guys are interested in android economics, dediu recently wrote a nice article on it.. It is very interesting, but his ultimate conclusion is that google makes about 1.70 per device per year, which is much smaller than what it makes per iphone but is sustainable nonetheless... anyway, have a look at the article...

http://www.asymco.com/2012/04/02/android-economics/
post #7 of 77
No looking at all these changes as strict parts of the full 100% pie makes the changes for the companies decreasing look much smaller than they really are. If you divide the change by their market share they had back in November, you get a very different picture:


Google: 6.82% increase
Apple: 5.23% increase
RIM: 19.28% decrease
Microsoft: 25% decrease
Symbian: No change

RIM lost nearly 1/5 of their smartphone business and MS lost 1/4 of theirs. That is pretty devastating.
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

No looking at all these changes as strict parts of the full 100% pie makes the changes for the companies decreasing look much smaller than they really are. If you divide the change by their market share they had back in November, you get a very different picture:


Google: 6.82% increase
Apple: 5.23% increase
RIM: 19.28% decrease
Microsoft: 25% decrease
Symbian: No change

RIM lost nearly 1/5 of their smartphone business and MS lost 1/4 of theirs. That is pretty devastating.

You're ignoring the overall 14% growth in smartphones (and using too many figures after the decimal point).
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Microsoft, too, saw its position slip, losing 1.3 points to 3.9 percent of the domestic market. Nokia's Symbian platform was flat at 1.5 percent.

Astonishing when you consider that Nokia's solution to their Symbian problem was to adopt Microsoft's phone OS...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but what gives? I barely know anyone who owns an 'Android' phone...

I never see any Android phones in use. All I ever see are iPhones.
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Astonishing when you consider that Nokia's solution to their Symbian problem was to adopt Microsoft's phone OS...

I too was struck by the M$ decline.

I wonder what the breakdown is between the old WinMo phones and the new? I wonder if the decline of the old is masking any advances with the new, or if the new style is growing, but falling behind general smartphone growth, or what?
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Does the development really cost them much?

The only point is to sell ads, anyways. Even if iOS ads make more than Android ads, the Android ads still make money.

1. They make more money on iOS phones. If they didn't have Android, there would be more iOS phones. Since they make about 5 times as much per iOS phone, only 1/5 lost Android sales would have to be picked up by Apple for them to come out ahead.

2. Even if the development cost is modest (which I doubt), if they pick up 1 iOS phone for every 5 Android phones lost, they still come out ahead by dropping Android.

3. You're also ignoring the legal costs. They're spending a fortune on legal expenses defending themselves. And if they lose any of the cases, the losses would be even greater.

4. They spent $12.5 B on Motorola. If they're not making money on Android, then a portion of that money is wasted.

5. There's the matter of opportunity cost. Android is taking up management time and resources that could presumably be dedicated elsewhere.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #13 of 77
So nice watching Microsoft continue to lose market share. Funniest thing is all the propaganda about Nokia and how magically people are going to buy their Windows Phone clones when all the other Windows Phone clones have failed. How much more shareholder money is Microsoft going to piss away on this latest failed platform?
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


3. You're also ignoring the legal costs. They're spending a fortune on legal expenses defending themselves. And if they lose any of the cases, the losses would be even greater.

No I think you forget that outside of the Oracle case (which went from potential game changer to a joke essentially), none are attached to Google directly. Apple hasn't taken Google on directly, the OEMs are under attack, and Motorola's issues are not Google's, yet, anyway.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #15 of 77
That doesn't look very good for vendors using Android.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

If you guys are interested in android economics, dediu recently wrote a nice article on it.. It is very interesting, but his ultimate conclusion is that google makes about 1.70 per device per year, which is much smaller than what it makes per iphone but is sustainable nonetheless... anyway, have a look at the article...

http://www.asymco.com/2012/04/02/android-economics/

$1.70 is a far cry from the $10 goal Schmidt had. I hope Google didn't add the $10 goal into their projections. As far as sustainable, I'm not too sure about that. Expenses (business and legal) keep going up, up and up.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #17 of 77
Interestingly, in my extended family. those who went to college use iPhones... those who did not, use Android. They also have no intention of using Apple products. It's very curious to me to be honest.
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat Thins View Post

Interestingly, in my extended family. those who went to college use iPhones... those who did not, use Android. They also have no intention of using Apple products. It's very curious to me to be honest.

Cool story, bro.

What phones do the ones who start their sentences with capital letters use?
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Cool story, bro.

What phones do the ones who start their sentences with capital letters use?


I'm in the fetal position with no self esteem now....
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

You're ignoring the overall 14% growth in smartphones (and using too many figures after the decimal point).

How is going to 100s place using too many numbers? The cell phone industry increasing by 14% overall is all well and good, they have still lost market share in those percentages. With the increases in the total number of subscribers softens the blow, you still have numbers like below. Original figure, the 14% increased version in parentheses and adjusted change number after that. There really is no way to spin this as less than terrible for both RIM and MS.


Google: 46.9 (53.466) +5.99%
Apple: 28.7 (32.718) +4.58%
RIM: 16.6 (18.924) -16.9%
MS: 5.2 (5.928) -21.93%
Symbian: 1.5 No Change


Regardless, the original math I showed represents how much change there was in their piece of the overall pie. The fact that you have more people in the pie doesn't mean all that much. It just makes it slightly less crappy for them. Their (RIM and MS) market share is getting worse quickly tho.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

...There really is no way to spin this as less than terrible for both RIM and MS.
...

There's no way, and there's no need to spin it. Just leave the numbers alone...
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Astonishing when you consider that Nokia's solution to their Symbian problem was to adopt Microsoft's phone OS...

Not was. Is. They are just now releasing their first phones.
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

There's no way, and there's no need to spin it. Just leave the numbers alone...

Some of us know math and want to see what the percentage change was. Hence why I did it. If you don't like it, don't read it.
post #24 of 77
Now you know why Nokia is desperate to the point of idiocy.
post #25 of 77
Fun Fact:

Google makes only $1.70 a year per Android device.

Apple, by contrast, generated more than $575 for every iOS device it sold last year

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/...iid=SF_F_River

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What's interesting is that Dell just dumped their Android smartphones, Google makes more money from ad revenue from iOS than Android. I wonder if Google has their heads screwed on correctly. If Google was smart, they would either have to dump Android or start charging $15 to $20 a head in order to make it worthwhile continuing development.

What's even funnier is that a recent article showed that Google makes 80% of its mobile ad revenue from iOS. The fandroid community was trying to spin it as a victory for Google.

The reality is that Apple is slowly gutting iOS from Google so in the not too distant future Apple will have jettisoned Google services from it and they will be in a position to scratch their heads and wonder where the heck they will get they new mobile revenue.

Android's a joke. A big parking lot of advertising billboards. Such a mess.
post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What's even funnier is that a recent article showed that Google makes 80% of its mobile ad revenue from iOS. The fandroid community was trying to spin it as a victory for Google.

The reality is that Apple is slowly gutting iOS from Google so in the not too distant future Apple will have jettisoned Google services from it and they will be in a position to scratch their heads and wonder where the heck they will get they new mobile revenue.

Android's a joke. A big parking lot of advertising billboards. Such a mess.

I'm hoping Apple comes out with their own mapping software in the not so distant future so all the iOS devices will have that instead of Google Maps.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I actually bought an Android device a few months ago to add another line to my account. Biggest mistake ever. It was so annoying downloading apps, then all of a sudden receiving all these notifications from dating sites to viagra on a daily basis. I returned to phone and got another iPhone 4s.
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Fun Fact:

Google makes only $1.70 a year per Android device.

Apple, by contrast, generated more than $575 for every iOS device it sold last year

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/...iid=SF_F_River

I just wondered. Guess I can get off my lazy index finger and go check out the link. Looks like I was right and you rounded down. Philip quotes Horace as saying $576.30. Your rounding error left off $1.30 or an equivalent of 76% of Googles revenues. :-) I love owning Apple stock!
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I just wondered. Guess I can get off my lazy index finger and go check out the link. Looks like I was right and you rounded down. Philip quotes Horace as saying $576.30. Your rounding error left off $1.30 or an equivalent of 76% of Googles revenues. :-) I love owning Apple stock!

according to the article, the 575 doesn't include revenue from the App Store, iTunes, iBookstores, etc.

amazing isnt it?

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I just wondered. Guess I can get off my lazy index finger and go check out the link. Looks like I was right and you rounded down. Philip quotes Horace as saying $576.30. Your rounding error left off $1.30 or an equivalent of 76% of Googles revenues. :-) I love owning Apple stock!

i guess Google's revenue can be compared to a rounding error

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat Thins View Post

I'm in the fetal position with no self esteem now....



Now that's funny!

... and, on topic, what the hell is with that "point change" column? that's useless as hell. how about a percentage change column (whoops... Squirrel beat me to it!)
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #32 of 77
Android may be be bit shit, but I don't really see it as a mistake at least in concept. Google were right to try and protect themselves as they will get marginalised by mobile, but execution was ho-hum.

It's difficult to see how Windows Phone will gain any meaningful share. I feel that while Android may become toxic to OEMs, Windows Phones aren't really a viable option. Maybe Apple wins this one for good, and Android gets proper relegated to the low end.
post #33 of 77
Samsung sees potential in the mobile ad market where both Google and iAds play and getting serious.

They've announced the Samsung AdHub market.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...039706358.html
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile platforms continued to grow over the last three months, accounting for 80.3 percent of the U.S. smartphone market.

It is always funny to see iOS riding on Android's coat tails in these headlines. Without Android, iOS wouldn't look quite so popular. Here's some alternatives:

iOS Captures less than a Third of Smartphone Market.

Smartphone Buyers Reject iPhone nearly 3 to 1.

Android Crushes iOS in market share.

Jobs' "Thermonuclear War" nothing but Fizzle.

Android is "Winning".
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

So nice watching Microsoft continue to lose market share. Funniest thing is all the propaganda about Nokia and how magically people are going to buy their Windows Phone clones when all the other Windows Phone clones have failed. How much more shareholder money is Microsoft going to piss away on this latest failed platform?

Anybody who would even consider a Windows phone is a complete idiot.
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Without Android iOS wouldn't look quite so popular.

You've just made everyone's point.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You've just made everyone's point.

Was it the "Android Crushes iOS" part?
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Anybody who would even consider a Windows phone is a complete idiot.

But not as much as one who generalize whole world in single sentence.
post #39 of 77
Picked up my Galaxy Note about 4 hours ago, LOVING it so far. Can't believe how small my 3GS is in comparison. Everything on this phone is so smooth. Don't understand why everybody hates on this OS.
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Picked up my Galaxy Note about 4 hours ago, LOVING it so far. Can't believe how small my 3GS is in comparison. Everything on this phone is so smooth. Don't understand why everybody hates on this OS.

I looked at one in a store this afternoon. The screen seems great for a portable web browser. It didn't feel WAY TOO HUGE to hold up to my ear - it fits in the palm of your hand, and landline phones are much bigger. A little big for the pocket tho.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS, Google's Android grow to 80% of US smartphone market