or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Kutcher thinks Steve Jobs role was meant for him, film script called 'award worthy'

Kutcher thinks Steve Jobs role was meant for him, film script called 'award worthy'

post #1 of 59
Ashton Kutcher's starring role in a new, independent movie based on the early years of the career of Steve Jobs is said to be based on an "award-worthy" script that Kutcher is determined to help turn into a breakthrough dramatic performance.

Speaking with The Daily, producer Mark Hulme of Five Star Feature Films said that Kutcher believes the role of Jobs was "meant for him." Five Star is the sold investor behind the upcoming movie, entitled "Jobs."

"He is already meeting with folks that knew Jobs," Hulme said. "He's working with professionals to get inside the voice. He's letting his hair grow out. I understand he's canceled all meetings and actually canceled all other projects."

He added that Kutcher "loved" the script, and that the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him." Kutcher is best known for his comedic roles, as he currently stars on CBS's "Two and a Half Men," and previously appeared in shows like MTV's "Punked" and Fox's "That 70s Show," as well as movies such as "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "No Strings Attached."

Word that Kusher would take on the role of Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple, first surfaced earlier this week. It was then revealed that the independent film will portray Jobs's growth from "wayward hippie" to entrepreneur.

Photos show the similar likeness of of Jobs (Getty Images) and Kutcher (WireImage), via The Daily.

That info was reaffirmed by The Daily on Tuesday, which noted that the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

The film will be directed by Joshua Michael Stern, who Hulme said views the project as "award-worthy." The director only seeks actors who feel the same about the script, and the studio hopes to release the film by this Thanksgiving, having it out in time for award season and potential Oscar contention.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 59
I dunno. Hollywood has a way of screwing things up...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 59
I'm more worried about the director, he hasn't really proven himself with many movies.
post #4 of 59
Quote:
...the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him...

Of course, with Demi Moore playing the part of Joan Baez. That way there will be ONE actor in the movie that is "award worthy."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I'm more worried about the director, he hasn't really proven himself with many movies.

Utterly agree.

Actors aren't nearly so important as directors, who influence the entire film, and this guy has a rubbish background.

Try not to get too excited about this one, boys and girls. It's going to suck.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #6 of 59
I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ashton Kutcher's starring role in a new, independent movie based on the early years of the career of Steve Jobs is said to be based on an "award-worthy" script that Kutcher is determined to help turn into a breakthrough dramatic performance.

Speaking with The Daily, producer Mark Hulme of Five Star Feature Films said that Kutcher believes the role of Jobs was "meant for him." Five Star is the sold investor behind the upcoming movie, entitled "Jobs."

"He is already meeting with folks that knew Jobs," Hulme said. "He's working with professionals to get inside the voice. He's letting his hair grow out. I understand he's canceled all meetings and actually canceled all other projects."

He added that Kutcher "loved" the script, and that the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him." Kutcher is best known for his comedic roles, as he currently stars on CBS's "Two and a Half Men," and previously appeared in shows like MTV's "Punked" and Fox's "That 70s Show," as well as movies such as "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "No Strings Attached."

Word that Kusher would take on the role of Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple, first surfaced earlier this week. It was then revealed that the independent film will portray Jobs's growth from "wayward hippie" to entrepreneur.

Photos show the similar likeness of of Jobs (Getty Images) and Kutcher (WireImage), via The Daily.

That info was reaffirmed by The Daily on Tuesday, which noted that the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

The film will be directed by Joshua Michael Stern, who Hulme said views the project as "award-worthy." The director only seeks actors who feel the same about the script, and the studio hopes to release the film by this Thanksgiving, having it out in time for award season and potential Oscar contention.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #7 of 59
The perfect actor to play Steve is Alan Ruck. He was born the same year as Steve so would need make up to play him as a young man. But Alan has a naturally youthful face so he could pull it off. Also a plus is that he is not famous himself. It's always a problem when a huge star plays a "real" person because it's a struggle for the audience to not "see" the celeb peeking though the character.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3158214912/nm0001688
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #8 of 59
Quote:
the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

Umm, we already had a movie like that. It was called "Pirates of Silicon Valley"
post #9 of 59
Without recapping my comments from the previous post on this.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE! get someone else besides Kutcher.
post #10 of 59
So if this cannot be based upon anything as detailed in the Isaakson book which Sony owns the rights to, its going to be an interpretation based upon public domain material?
Oh my sounds dreadful.
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

He's a good Nikon camera spokesman?
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoDWS View Post

Umm, we already had a movie like that. It was called "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

Exactly!

I want 1997-2011
post #13 of 59
What- Justin Long wasn't available?

I can see the one sheet:

Ashton Kutcher is Steve Jobs!
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

What- Justin Long wasn't available?

He's not Steve Jobs. He's a Mac.
post #15 of 59
Oh noooo- he has Woz's blessing!
Sacrilege!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/03/st...er-steve-jobs/
post #16 of 59
The director Joshua Michael Stern makes bland forgettable movies.

And when you hear filmmakers reference there own projects as possibly award-winning in quality, red flags are raised.

This has fail written all over it, though fingers crossed it's something interesting.
post #17 of 59
Not a huge fan of Aston - but could be interesting.

I agree the director is important - but you also have to have a team that works well together.

This reminds me of a quote from Harrison Ford - one of his first acting jobs (or might have been an audition) was the part of a bell hop in a hotel - after watching his performance the following took place:

Quote:
The studio guy told me, "Kid, you have no future in this business." I said, "Why?" He said, "When Tony Curtis first walked onscreen carrying a bag of groceries -- a bag of groceries! -- you took one look at him and said, 'THAT'S a movie star!'" I said, "Weren't you supposed to say, 'That's a grocery delivery boy?'"

--HARRISON FORD
post #18 of 59
Quote:

Sacrilege!

He also complimented Android, so take his Blessing for what its worth...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #19 of 59
Quote:

Sacrilege!

I can't figure out why anyone could possibly care what Wozniak has to say. He's so far out of touch with reality and so full of himself that his opinion couldn't be less interesting if he tried.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The perfect actor to play Steve is Alan Ruck. He was born the same year as Steve so would need make up to play him as a young man. But Alan has a naturally youthful face so he could pull it off. Also a plus is that he is not famous himself. It's always a problem when a huge star plays a "real" person because it's a struggle for the audience to not "see" the celeb peeking though the character.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436697/awards
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc7 View Post

Without recapping my comments from the previous post on this.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE! get someone else besides Kutcher.

John Hodgman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb2JFCqQQg

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Alan Ruck is a fine actor, but has none of the gravity needed for a portrayal of Jobs... Ashton Kutcher brings even less to the role.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't figure out why anyone could possibly care what Wozniak has to say. He's so far out of touch with reality and so full of himself that his opinion couldn't be less interesting if he tried.

The man deserves credit for what he achieved in his life and no one can take that away from him. Having said that, if you've ever checked out his Twitter feed, every other post involves him eating at some unhealthy restaurant or burger joint. Woz, cut out those calories man!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 59
the guy doesn't even know how to act!
post #25 of 59
Also, calling the script to a yet to be filmed movie "award worthy" is ludicrous. There are so many aspects to a movie that many times will not result in a good or great film, that it's not even funny.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 59
I actually think Kutcher as a young Jobs is decent casting. But this movie...I dunno. Do we really need a re-tread of Pirates of Silicon Valley? I thought that story was done pretty well when Noah Wyle and Anthony Michael Hall starred.

I'd prefer to see the entire Steve Jobs adaptation that was rumoured. With four people in the role of Jobs. Kutcher as the PoSV-era Jobs, a teenage Jobs, a child Jobs and Wyle reprising the role for the older Jobs - iMac and beyond.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

John Hodgman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb2JFCqQQg

A huge ROFL copter just landed where I am, chock full of ROFL's.

post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, calling the script to a yet to be filmed movie "award worthy" is ludicrous. There are so many aspects to a movie that many times will not result in a good or great film, that it's not even funny.

And with such an ambitions release date of November? Sounds like he's setting himself up for a huge fail.
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #29 of 59
I think David Giuntoli would be perfect for the role.
post #30 of 59
Quote:

Sacrilege!

I could be wrong but I don't think the Woz is particularly frugal in granting his blessing.
post #31 of 59
I disagree with everyone. This guy can pull off the intensity and soul searching part. As for being interesting in the later chapters, that's where it would have to be breakout. Any actor would relish the challenge. We'll see if he can do it.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I disagree with everyone. This guy can pull off the intensity and soul searching part. As for being interesting in the later chapters, that's where it would have to be breakout. Any actor would relish the challenge. We'll see if he can do it.

You don't disagree with me. I think that Kutcher has many of the characteristics needed to succeed in this role. And I also disagree that he's only a comedy actor. While "No Strings Attached" was a romantic comedy, he did manage to show some skill at the more difficult parts. And he did well in "The Butterfly Effect".

I think he has the potential. He may screw it up, but it's certainly not right to simply discard his experience.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #33 of 59
No one will look more like Steve than Ashton, now can he perform we will have to wait and see. IMHO you can only make a movie of Steve before the present time because where the apple Steve built will end nobody knows write now...
post #34 of 59
Quote:

That was my first reaction as well, but at the same time it is easy to get type cast. There is always the possibility he has talent that his other films don't really allow him to use, and that he took those other parts because after "That 70's Show," producers might not have wanted to invest in someone they thought audiences wouldn't accept as anything else. Maybe he was sloppy with what he chose to do afterwards, but I can easily see him getting pigeon holed.

But yeah...I agree, and their choosing him makes me nervous...much the way Zack Snyder having anything to do with Superman makes me nervous. Maybe he's got something we haven't seen yet, though.
post #35 of 59
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks we should give Kutcher a chance to prove himself.. Might be what Chaplin was to Downey.
What's the harm in cutting the kid some slack?
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks we should give Kutcher a chance to prove himself.. Might be what Chaplin was to Downey.
What's the harm in cutting the kid some slack?

Ashton Kutcher exudes the intelligence of a pea but yes he does have charisma of sorts.
post #37 of 59
Quote:

Look at the Butterfly Effect - and remember that he has an extra decade of experience and maturity since then.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 59
Is GTR and I the only ones who have noticed the pitiful director handing this movie. If the director was great I wouldn't be so worried about Kutcher. But a mediocre director with a mediocre actor who thinks the script is "Award worthy"?

I don't have high hopes anymore but it's Hollywood, they aren't known for putting out decent movies anymore.
post #39 of 59
They couldn't be farther apart. Never mind the age discrepancies in those two photos.
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436697/awards

I particularly liked seeing Steve come out at the end. It gave me a warm feeling seeing him again when he had the reins.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Kutcher thinks Steve Jobs role was meant for him, film script called 'award worthy'