or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung launching mobile ad platform to challenge Apple's iAd, Google

Samsung launching mobile ad platform to challenge Apple's iAd, Google - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

If Apple jumped off a cliff do you reckon Samsung would follow?

Seriously, is there no aspect of Apples business they won't try and copy?

Think Apple will ever come up with ideas of their own?

first mp3 player....nope
first smartphone.....nope
first touchscreen phone.....nope
first tablet.......nope
first pvr.......nope
first to do mobile ads......nope

Seems to me that all apple does is wait around to see what other people are doing and then add a rectangle to it, then say that they INVENTED it.
post #42 of 53
I hear the Samsung ads will be in rounded, rectangular frames
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

first mp3 player....nope
first tablet.......nope
first pvr.......nope

Seems to me that all apple does is wait around to see what other people are doing and then add a rectangle to it, then say that they INVENTED it.

Can you provide links to where Apple said they invented any of the above?
post #44 of 53
I don't think this will hurt Google.

Still, this just might make Google wonder if their Motorola acquisition is alienating them from their largest Android licensee.
post #45 of 53
Quote:

first mp3 player....nope
first tablet.......nope
first pvr.......nope

If you're going to troll could you at least come up with something a little more original? "Apple didn't invent anything" is a bit played out.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #46 of 53
Quote:

first mp3 player....nope
first tablet.......nope
first pvr.......nope
first to do mobile adsnope

First use of once-living material in an environment formerly of fully non-living material nope.
First use of plastic nope.
First to use electricity nope.
First to combine metal and glass nope.
First use of glass nope.
First use of silicates nope.
First refined metal object nope.
First use of moving parts nope.
First combination of more than one object nope.
First refined object nope.
First to allow communication between people nope.
First tool made by human hands nope.

I've successfully played that out all the way back to the dawn of civilization. It's officially dead, I think.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #47 of 53
OMG I am sure some Apple execs just jizzed their pants. This is their wildest dream come true, Android hardware makers fighting with Google! First Amazon, and now even the biggest Android vendor... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Google's open source policy is in the process of exploding in its face. If Samsung starts modifying Android to serve ads only via its own platform it cuts google out cold. And unlike Apple, the ad network is Google's only source of revenue. It's the _only_ reason Google even makes Android.

Fast forward to a world where:

- Samsung, LG, and HTC make their own Android versions with their own ad platforms, cutting out Google.
- Amazon, B&N use android for their own purposes, Google never sees a cent of that
- Google uses Motorola to push its ads; Google is challenged with turning Motorola into serious competition vs the others - a gargantuan task given where they're now (nowhere).
- Android is the new Java - hugely popular, without making money for its creator
- Nokia is long dead, cause of death Windows Phone.

And Apple? In a world like that, Apple rules supreme while the Android makers squabble. Divide et impera.

A frightening prospect for Google, almost too easy for Apple...

All that said... I think Google will strike back in a major way if Sammy really goes through with this. Google will just take Android closed, and Sammy will either be stuck with the old versions, or have to develop their own system (maybe even based on Android ICS)... And Sammy is total crap at software development...
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't think this will hurt Google.

What???? Biggest Android vendor replaces Google ad network with their own - how does this not hurt Google?
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I wa wondering the same thing.

The only answer I can think of is that Samsung will have many of thier own apps on their phones, and those apps will serve Samsung ads.

How about Samsung modifying the open Android to serve its own ads henceforth? That's what they'll do. Google is fucked.
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If you're going to troll could you at least come up with something a little more original? "Apple didn't invent anything" is a bit played out.

Yep, it is played out....as played out as saying Samsung copies Apple.......
post #51 of 53
Quote:

Yep, it is played out....as played out as saying Samsung copies Apple.......

Except that Apple has, in fact, completely transformed a number of markets with the iPod, iPhone and iPad (anyone arguing otherwise at this point is just fucking around) while Samsung has undeniably imitated Apple with a number of products.

Now tell me that it's all about rounded rectangles, because I like my stupid bland and lazy.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

OMG I am sure some Apple execs just jizzed their pants. This is their wildest dream come true, Android hardware makers fighting with Google! First Amazon, and now even the biggest Android vendor... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I suspect that at least part of it is Google's acquisition of Motorola. OEMs are not stupid - they undoubtedly realize that there's a big risk that they could become second class citizens with Android.

You are right, though, this hits Google where it hurts. Not only will it siphon off some Google advertising revenues, but it runs the risk of making Google lower prices to compete. The flip side is that Google's Android revenues are tiny, so the net impact will be insignificant. Losing even half of Android revenues would be a rounding error.

QUOTE=orthorim;2088958]All that said... I think Google will strike back in a major way if Sammy really goes through with this. Google will just take Android closed, and Sammy will either be stuck with the old versions, or have to develop their own system (maybe even based on Android ICS)... And Sammy is total crap at software development...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Google can do that. There are several problems with making Google closed:
1. Licensing issues. They might be in violation of some of the licenses for technology they've used if they close Android.
2. Antitrust issues. Once Google has Motorola, closing Android to competitors could be a major antitrust problem.
3. Credibility. Google's business is advertising and relies on trust. The more they are seen to be a company that breaks promises to partners, the more risk their main business has.
4. Android fragmentation. Google relies on the argument that they have an ecosystem almost as good as iOS. If Android is closed and everyone has to develop their own, that argument goes out the window. It's already true that the number of apps is misleading because so many apps run on only a limited subset of hardware, but this would make it even more obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

What???? Biggest Android vendor replaces Google ad network with their own - how does this not hurt Google?

Obviously, it hurts Google (at least, it's obvious to anyone who isn't wrapped up in defending Google at every turn). However, it's also true that the impact will be insignificant. Google's total mobile ad revenues were less than half a billion dollars. Even if half of that goes away (which is a very high estimate), it would be a rounding error for Google.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

.... while Samsung has undeniably imitated Apple with a number of products.

At this point the only people who think so are fanbois

Most everybody, as in the Mobile World Congress doesn't think so as they voted S2 the Best Smartphone and Samsung the Best Manufacturer in the year of copygate.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung launching mobile ad platform to challenge Apple's iAd, Google