or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Required Reading

Required Reading

post #1 of 2
Just finished Robert Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress". (1965)

While it is ostensibly a good Science Fiction story, it's also a rather interesting treatise on government in general and what it's role and limitations should/could be.

Last week, I read Shawn Otto's "Fool Me Twice". (2011)

It's a more direct political read ... it's main focus leans toward the climate change debate, but regardless of your own position it brings an interesting perspective to politics in general.

I'd certainly recommend both (Heinlein is more entertaining... essentially a fictional novel) ...
Anybody else have recommendations that you've read and enjoyed (or at least learned from?)

I'd like to think you'd be able to start a different thread for the actual debate of philosophies presented in whatever books you recommend, but I'll not hold my breath for that!
I'm more interested in using this thread to find new material to read rather than to discuss it's merits (or lack of.)

Now if you WANT to have a discussion/debate about any of the books here, I'm game!... I'd think it would be better to link to another thread, but feel free to derail this one if you must!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #2 of 2
Last book was "The Power of Habit" and I read it in part because many aspects of the way education is set up do not really allow for alteration of habits. I have consciously changed habits several times in my life but in terms of philosophies, it basically declares we can change things we become aware of and choose to change. It isn't much of a fatalism book in that regard.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Required Reading