or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

post #1 of 155
Apple's all-in-one desktop, the iMac, will receive an update with Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs in the June or July timeframe, according to a new rumor.

The updated iMacs will be powered by Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, How To Arena reported on Wednesday, citing a "reliable tipster" from the Chinese supply chain. The new desktops will reportedly be powered by Intel's 22-nanometer Ivy Bridge processors.

If the timeframe is accurate, the new iMacs are expected to follow updated MacBook Pros to market. Reports have suggested that Apple plans to first update its 15-inch MacBook Pro with Ivy Bridge CPUs, followed by a refresh of the 13-inch model. Both are expected to launch in the coming months, and the 15-inch model could debut as soon as this month.

The latest rumor comes on the heels of a separate report which claimed that Apple's 2012 iMacs will feature anti-reflective glass displays from G-Tech, marking a first for the company. Previously, Apple only offered anti-reflective solutions as build-to-order options on its MacBook family of notebooks.

The new iMacs were also said to be noticeably slimmer than their predecessors, suggesting that the all-in-one desktop is poised for a hardware redesign. The iMac was last redesigned in October of 2009 when Apple launched new models with 21.5- and 27-inch LED-backlit displays.

The iMac lineup was last updated in May of 2011, when Apple added high-definition FaceTime cameras as well as high-speed Thunderbolt ports. The current iMacs are powered by Intel's Sandy Bridge processors and AMD Radeon HD graphics.

The June-July timeframe for new iMacs is plausible, as Intel is expected to launch its new Ivy Bridge line of processors at the end of this month. The new chips are also expected to find their way to Apple's redesigned lineup of MacBook Pro notebooks.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 155
Would Probably make sense to launch them alongside
Mountain lion.
post #3 of 155
does the iMac use a mobile or desktop CPU?
post #4 of 155
BREAKSCLUSIVE: New model computer will be released this year to replace last year's model offerings!
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #5 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

At one time they used mobile CPUs, but they're now using desktop CPUs. Look at the clock speed - the iMac goes up to 3.4 GHz i7 - and that's not available in mobile CPUs.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #6 of 155
Quote:

Desktop CPUs, but laptop GPUs. I was not happy that I found the latter out AFTER I bought my iMac.
post #7 of 155
Quote:

As another poster stated, the CPU of the current iMac product line is considered a desktop CPU by virtue of the power necessary for the CPU (205W (21.5-inch models); 310W (27-inch models)) and the thermal regulation requirements.

I most interested in the GPU Apple might use for a newer iMac. The performance gains of some of the latest GPUs is substantial. I presume that Apple would consider the Radeon HD 6970M Crossfire dual-GPU which is extremely powerful for a mobile GPU although I have little basis for this assumption. I can only guess which GPU Apple might use but another mobile GPU seems likely due to concerns about thermal dissipation. A single GPU Radeon HD 6970M or Radeon 6990M seem likely possibilities as well.
post #8 of 155
well, then if we get the i7-3770 in an iMac, not only will it be crazy fast, you'll be able to iron your shirt on the back of the iMac.
post #9 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Mountain lion.

I don't see them at any time other than before Mountain Lion.

Which gives us a nice cap on the release date of the iMacs: September 20.

Quote:
I most interested in the GPU Apple might use for a newer iMac.

Radeon 7570 on the low end, 7850 mid-range, downclocked 7970 on the high end.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #10 of 155
I want a radically redesigned iMac.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 155
If the screen resolution is better, I will purchase the new iMac. Matte isn't important in my situation (no windows)- but resolution for photo editing would be a welcomed addition. Its hard to fathom the picture being better, but knowing it could be would be great.

Outside of that- no real feature excites me as I don't do heavy graphical work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see them at any time other than before Mountain Lion.

Which gives us a nice cap on the release date of the iMacs: September 20.

It will be interesting to see what they release with Mountain Lion. Being the Air was the only one to be launched with Lion, I could easily see that happening again- and see an iMac refresh in the next month or 2. Although if I were betting- I'll bet the mini-refresh from the macbook pro last fall/winter time might allow them to push that out to the late summer release of Mountain Lion.

My prediction is:
iMac and MacBook Air simultaneous release in May/June
Redesigned MacBook Pro in late summer w/ Mountain Lion

If the iMac is redesigned- I could see that being pushed back w/ the Pro. Whatever is redesigned- the iMac or MBP- will most likely be the Mountain Lion simultaneous release.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #12 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Like a Guy Fawkes limited edition chassis?
post #13 of 155
Perfect timing- I'll start budgeting for it now. I need to get my computer up in the iCloud as my 2006 matte CoreDuo iMac is not alowed/capable. My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.
post #14 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.
Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.
The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.
post #15 of 155
Quote:

Radeon 7570 on the low end, 7850 mid-range, downclocked 7970 on the high end.

Interesting. So, you believe the sixth generation vapor chamber design and improved blower fan will meet Apple's requirements? I assumed the thermal management profile would be insufficient.
post #16 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.

You should be able to access your migrated MobileMe/iCloud mail account from you 2006 iMac via either the iCloud web interface or the Mac Mail client configured for iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864).
post #17 of 155
as long as they get rid of that idiotic reflective glass or give an option to do so it be fantastic - we took them all out at the studio (went back to old Cinema 30s and 1 new Dell Ultra sharps 30) if they fix the screen issue be nice to use them as an All In One again.
post #18 of 155
It's all but certain that the new MBPs will drop the ODD, but how about the iMac? I was surprised when the Mac mini dropped the ODD so we know that Apple is clearly looking to phase out this obsolescing component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Mountain lion.

There is certainly an argument for why that's logical, but we know from the past Apple releases new HW at different rates than their OS. We've also seen them offer free major OS updates for free if you buy your Mac within a certain time frame to help avoid a drop in sales before the release and to keep unsuspecting buyers from having remorse.

With Mac App Store the ability to download and update a new OS is much simpler than the days of the optical disc installer. Part of that is from the lack of fumbling with physical media but another part of that is due to the way the installer has been streamed lined.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #19 of 155
Quote:

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.
Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.
The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #20 of 155
For the love of $DEITY, please let them have USB 3.0. It's downright embarrassing to see cheap $200 HTPC boxes with USB 3.0, whereas high end Macs still lack it.

And Thunderbolt isn't a solution yet. Very few devices out there and they're vastly overpriced.
post #21 of 155
Mac Pro??
post #22 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

You should be able to access your migrated MobileMe/iCloud mail account from you 2006 iMac via either the iCloud web interface or the Mac Mail client configured for iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864).

Thank you so much for that. I think I will need to delete the MobileMe account and reset it up from scratch because I can't change certain properties listed for this mail account- they are greyed out/untouchable. If I delete it will I loose all the history accociated with it? Or do I get an option to archive?
post #23 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's all but certain that the new MBPs will drop the ODD, but how about the iMac?

Gone as well.

I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a modular/component-styled stackable Mac. Based on the mini, and then with ODD, GPU cards in a box, etc. all connected with a similar sized Thunderbolt docking stack.

Actually it's something similar to what I see Apple doing with a TV. Advanced monitor screen, with snap-in block attachments on the back and sides for assorted attachments and functionality.

Basically: sell the base and then the attachments. Remote and controller is already finished and we know their names
post #24 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Gone as well.

I'm still waiting for Apple to announce a modular/component-styled stackable Mac. Based on the mini, and then with ODD, GPU cards in a box, etc. all connected with a similar sized Thunderbolt docking stack.

Actually it's something similar to what I see Apple doing with a TV. Advanced monitor screen, with snap-in block attachments on the back and sides for assorted attachments and functionality.

Basically: sell the base and then the attachments. Remote and controller is already finished and we know their names

USB3? Yea or Ney?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #25 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

I feel you pain. I'm wanting at least one last hurrah from Cupertino. Make it one helluva box!

And snappier too.
post #26 of 155
Quote:

The Stand! Which you think can stand the same. It's not adjutable height wise and too rigid.

I would like the screen to go touchscreen and pivot down to the desk level. Touchable Apps will come to play in Mountain Lion. You could then pivot up (oldstyle) or down over the new superthin keyboard like a giant horizontal iPad.
post #27 of 155
The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?
post #28 of 155
I want a chinless iMac

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #29 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

USB3? Yea or Ney?

I say yay. In fact, if Apple doesn't offer USB 3.0 once it's part of the chipset they are offering it means they are disabling that component to push TB and/or FW, which are not a valid replacement so expect me to be unhappy with Apple if that happens.

post #30 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want a chinless iMac

For it too work as I propose (as a giant iPad) the chin would be deleted but would need to be relocated to the forhead.
post #31 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

My prediction is:
iMac and MacBook Air simultaneous release in May/June
Redesigned MacBook Pro in late summer w/ Mountain Lion

If the iMac is redesigned- I could see that being pushed back w/ the Pro.

I don't see an iMac redesign at all, and I see updates sooner, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Interesting. So, you believe the sixth generation vapor chamber design and improved blower fan will meet Apple's requirements? I assumed the thermal management profile would be insufficient.

I'm just going off the current iMac's chips' TDP and comparing that to equivalent TDP of the modern GPU line. Whether they run inherently hotter is something I don't know.

post #32 of 155
They'll be called... the new iMacs...
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #33 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years.

And that's why we've waited and waited, don't remind me.
post #34 of 155
Quote:

I don't see an iMac redesign at all, and I see updates sooner, I think.

I'm just going off the current iMac's chips' TDP and comparing that to equivalent TDP of the modern GPU line. Whether they run inherently hotter is something I don't know.

Fair enough. Any particular website you use? I haven't really seen a lot of information on the CPUs you mentioned on the websites I peruse.
post #35 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Fair enough. Any particular website you use? I haven't really seen a lot of information on the CPUs you mentioned on the websites I peruse.

I just went to the Wikipedia page for Southern Islands, as it lists TDP for each card. I'm sure it'll also have information on the mobile chips once we get the spec sheets for them.

post #36 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

USB3? Yea or Ney?

So yeah the new Macs will have it.
post #37 of 155
Matte screen iMac will not be a "first" that has only every been available on MacBook Pro... my white plastic iMac (same basic form factor as the aluminum models) had a matte screen. They all did. There was no glossy option. iMac went from matte only to glossy only. Not sure if the previous form factors (lamp style and gumdrop) were matte or glossy... although of course the gumdrop was a tube.
post #38 of 155
Quote:

And that's why we've waited and waited, don't remind me.

What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with at leasts a matte screen option (even if more expensive). Otherwise, no purchase. You can sign the matte-screen petition at:
http://macmatte.wordpress.com

You're STILL on about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So yeah the new Macs will have it.

Do we REALLY know that?

post #39 of 155
Quote:

For it too work as I propose (as a giant iPad) the chin would be deleted but would need to be relocated to the forhead.

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.
post #40 of 155
Quote:

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

I am not sure about a 'radical' re-design. That sounds just like someone with a short attention span who just wants something 'new'.

The iMac design is awesome as it is and really, there is not too much that can be done. The chin can go - I have the Apple LCD monitor and it is beautiful. If the iMac was to take on that shape it would be pared down to the bare essentials from a user pov - the screen.
I have no problem with the stand, but sure, a change is OK. I guess the materials can be changed, I care not. The glass will probably be anti-glare or whatever the new matte is called. That too, would be good. But the bezel will stay. I seem to remember reading research about that and the black bezel serves to separate the screen from the background and properly frame the screen image.
The rest is interior and connectivity.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July