or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July - Page 4

post #121 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Matte is not the same as anti-reflective is not the same as anti-glare.

This.

I don't want a matte screen, I just don't want a mirror. The semi-gloss look of the Air screens seems about the right balance to me, they are still quite useable in a brightly lit room. Compare and contrast to a (standard, glass panelled) Macbook Pro screen in the same room.
post #122 of 155
Anti-reflective displays!? Finally!? Yes, please!

In case Apple decision influencers are reading this board:

If Apple makes an anti-reflective screen iMac at similar price points to current models, I will almost certainly buy one!
post #123 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amti View Post

This.

I don't want a matte screen, I just don't want a mirror. The semi-gloss look of the Air screens seems about the right balance to me, they are still quite useable in a brightly lit room. Compare and contrast to a (standard, glass panelled) Macbook Pro screen in the same room.

Couldn't agree more. The air display is a glossy display, but it is nowhere near the reflectiveness of the current iMac or Macbook Pro (glossy version). The issue with these products is that they put an additional layer of glass on the front. On the iMac, when the glass in front is removed with packing tape (or suction cups...), the reflectiveness is DRAMATICALLY reduced! Issue being then you sacrifice the beauty of the product, which I'm sure is a big reason many people buy Apple products.
post #124 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's all but certain that the new MBPs will drop the ODD, but how about the iMac? I was surprised when the Mac mini dropped the ODD so we know that Apple is clearly looking to phase out this obsolescing component.

out! if you want it, it's an external like the MBA, maybe w/ a $20 price drop. [remember all of those usb floppy drives that were released after the original iMac came out?]
post #125 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

out! if you want it, it's an external like the MBA, maybe w/ a $20 price drop. [remember all of those usb floppy drives that were released after the original iMac came out?]

Once Apple gets rid of the ODD across the line, including the Mac Pro (if it survives), I'd like for them to update OS X to support HDCP for Blu-ray and release an external DVD/Blu-ray drive. That would piss off so many people.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #126 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.allie View Post

Apple has nothing to gain by spending time supporting USB3... not when they have Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt isn't a replacement for USB.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #127 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Still awesome, still ahead of its time.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #128 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amti View Post

This.

I don't want a matte screen, I just don't want a mirror. The semi-gloss look of the Air screens seems about the right balance to me, they are still quite useable in a brightly lit room. Compare and contrast to a (standard, glass panelled) Macbook Pro screen in the same room.

Please. I'm using a matte MacBook Pro right now. It's awesome. And yes, I also have a MacBook Air with the semi-glossy screen. It's still reflective.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #129 of 155
Been waiting for this refresh. 2012 is going to be the year of new Apple gear for me: my new iPad is "preparing for shipment" as I write this, and I'm planning on upgrading to a 27" iMac as well as a new iPhone when they're released in the coming months.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #130 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

OK! I agree with that...

Except... "Done right the Mac Pros replacement could be 2-3x faster than today's machine in several smaller boxes.

A single box cold be much faster, the only reason for additional boxes would be for disk arrays.

It is probably to early but that Super chip with built in Infiniband would be just the nuts for this sort of box. Think about it each box becomes a module that can be plugged into an Infiniband network. There is just so much happening technology wise that I suspect whatever Apple does deliver, this year, will be quickly eclipsed by the coming hardware.
post #131 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A single box cold be much faster, the only reason for additional boxes would be for disk arrays.

That's not true. Using the scheme begin proposed (essentially stackable boxes) offers a great deal of flexibility, as well. Lets's say that you're CPU-limited. Simply add a box with a couple of CPUs. Or maybe a box with a couple of GPUs. Or maybe you're limited by the number of ports. Add a box with a couple of Ethernet or Thunderbolt or USB ports. Or a box with one or more hard drives. Or a box with an optical drive. And when it's time to upgrade, you can keep the storage box and simply replace the CPU box. Thunderbolt would make all of that possible.

Now, I don't really see it happening - it adds a layer of complexity in the purchasing decision that goes against the grain of what Apple has been doing for a decade. But it is an interesting concept. In particular, I could see an interesting niche market for small business or departmental servers.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #132 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.allie View Post

Apple has nothing to gain by spending time supporting USB3... not when they have Thunderbolt.

Their port allocation includes usb ports including within the TB display. usb accessories including things like mice and keyboards are cheap. TB peripherals would be expensive. There's no reason not to include usb 3 support.
post #133 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Still awesome, still ahead of its time.

WTF are you talking about?

Neither a MacPro nor an iMac have ever been ahead of their time. Unless you count Apple getting marginal first dibs at new gen Intel CPU's. But then they go and mess it up with crappy GPU's that are behind the times and grossly over-priced.

My best guess at another iteration of a MacPro (if one ever materialises) is that it will be completely outshone computationally by $1200.00 PC's.

There's no Steve Jobs to weave magic silken webs now, Apple are all alone.
post #134 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

But then they go and mess it up with crappy GPU's that are behind the times and grossly over-priced.

The GPUs for the past two models have been quite current.

Quote:
My best guess at another iteration of a MacPro (if one ever materialises) is that it will be completely outshone computationally by $1200.00 PC's.

Sure it will.

Quote:
There's no Steve Jobs to weave magic silken webs now, Apple are all alone.

Implying the Mac Pro was ALWAYS on the cusp of "fricktacular awesomeness" when he was alive.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #135 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

WTF are you talking about?

Neither a MacPro nor an iMac have ever been ahead of their time.

Not ahead of their time, but they offered high quality internal parts and durability much like the workstation Z800 offerings from HP. BTW Mac Pros and Z800s are priced almost identically when configured the same. I have both in my facility and they are comparable at all levels. In 15 years of Mac desktop usage (from Quadras to MacPros) I have had almost no hardware failures in the Macs. The PCs tend to lose their power supplies fairly regularly (except the HPs). I have had one Mac power supply fail in that time. $1200 homebuilt PCs don't last and don't offer the same level of performance.


Of course the big advantage to the MacPro is that is runs OS X.
post #136 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Not ahead of their time, but they offered high quality internal parts and durability much like the workstation Z800 offerings from HP. BTW Mac Pros and Z800s are priced almost identically when configured the same. I have both in my facility and they are comparable at all levels. In 15 years of Mac desktop usage (from Quadras to MacPros) I have had almost no hardware failures in the Macs. The PCs tend to lose their power supplies fairly regularly (except the HPs). I have had one Mac power supply fail in that time. $1200 homebuilt PCs don't last and don't offer the same level of performance.


Of course the big advantage to the MacPro is that is runs OS X.

I wasn't taking issue with Apple build quality. Just the idea some people have that Apple products are extra special. They are generally superbly built.

I use Macs because of OS X.
post #137 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I wasn't taking issue with Apple build quality. Just the idea some people have that Apple products are extra special. They are generally superbly built.

I use Macs because of OS X.

Well they are a little special. I think the price always confuses casual onlookers because they don't realize the things are built for heavy use, super reliability and long life. No, they don't hit the bleeding edge, but they do what we need them to do day in and day out.

I hope we get either one more round of updates, or a completely new rethink of the workstation model done the Apple way. Imagine what we might get if Apple applied the same thinking to the MacPro that they do to the iPad and iPhone. Not the iOS part, but the hardware part.
post #138 of 155
I don't know why no one has mentioned it but wasn't there an article released when lion came out that indicated it was the last OS X upgrade that would cost anything? There was something about apple budgeting a portion of every Lion sale in a way that they could make all subsequent OS X editions free upgrades. That means they could release hardware/software completely independent from each other. iMacs could release well ahead of Mountain Lion, and those who bought at release would just upgrade for free in ML comes out months later.
post #139 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

I don't know why no one has mentioned it but wasn't there an article released when lion came out that indicated it was the last OS X upgrade that would cost anything?

If there was, they were morons for saying it. There's no real indication nor proof of that, and I personally hope that it ISN'T the case.

Because something like that just screams "forced obsolescence".

Not planned, mind. Forced. In that if your machine ships with 10.8, you get 10.9 and 10.10 but not OS XI.

This is sort of a bad example given that OS XI wouldn't work on classical (read: modern) computers, but you understand the parallel I'm making, yeah? The iOS thing?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #140 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If there was, they were morons for saying it. There's no real indication nor proof of that, and I personally hope that it ISN'T the case.

Because something like that just screams "forced obsolescence".

Not planned, mind. Forced. In that if your machine ships with 10.8, you get 10.9 and 10.10 but not OS XI.

This is sort of a bad example given that OS XI wouldn't work on classical (read: modern) computers, but you understand the parallel I'm making, yeah? The iOS thing?

I'll be honest, I do not at all get what you are saying. I never said it would be a forced upgrade, just a free one. I mean at only $30 for an OS it is nearly that now. What does the cost of the update have to do with wether or not the update renders anything obsolete?
post #141 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

I never said it would be a forced upgrade, just a free one.

And that's not what I'm saying at all.

Forced obsolescence, not updating. Like with iOS devices, except illegitimately so (because iOS device hardware actually can't handle OS' beyond what they get).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #142 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure it will.

Which ones in particular? I'm just curious.
post #143 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Which ones in particular? I'm just curious.

The chips, you mean? Or which what? Model?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #144 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chips, you mean? Or which what? Model?

The models and their respective brands.
post #145 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

The models and their respective brands.

I've heard that before, and I think they always reference either gaming machines or single core, high-end non-Xeon chips for their conclusions. Could be wrong though, but I don't see how another Xeon in, say, an HP could outperform the same chip in a Mac Pro.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #146 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's not what I'm saying at all.

Forced obsolescence, not updating. Like with iOS devices, except illegitimately so (because iOS device hardware actually can't handle OS' beyond what they get).

I'm sorry but that still isn't making any since to me in the context of my initial post. Are you saying that Apple upgrading its OS is forcing obsolescence? If Apple is going to no longer charge for newer OS upgrades, how does that change anything compared to how its always been done, outside of the financial aspect of it?
post #147 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Are you saying that Apple upgrading its OS is forcing obsolescence?

How did you get that out of what I've said? If OS updates go free, computers will be artificially limited to a subset of them. THAT'S what I'm saying. I don't see how it could be misconstrued.

It's forced obsolescence in the sense that the software would work on older machines that wouldn't be allowed it. That's in contrast to today and in semi-parallel to iOS.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #148 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've heard that before, and I think they always reference either gaming machines or single core, high-end non-Xeon chips for their conclusions. Could be wrong though, but I don't see how another Xeon in, say, an HP could outperform the same chip in a Mac Pro.

My mistake in having you guess. I meant to ask "What current $1,200 PCs will completely outshine the next Mac Pro in your estimation?"
post #149 of 155
Apple products are staggered obsolescence over time.

No big surprise. They add new features and cut hardware off.

If you get 3 good years with forthcoming software updates count yerself lucky these days.

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

Er...I suppose desktop sales will plateau in the mean time as people wait. This has happened before. It's nothing new.

I don't see this iMac update as a 'blow my socks off' update. The last round saw a great top end model released with a really decent gpu option.

Anybody who is in the market for an iMac and are on a +3 year old iMac/PC switcher will be on to a good deal.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #150 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Apple products are staggered obsolescence over time.

No big surprise. They add new features and cut hardware off.

If you get 3 good years with forthcoming software updates count yerself lucky these days.

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

Er...I suppose desktop sales will plateau in the mean time as people wait. This has happened before. It's nothing new.

I don't see this iMac update as a 'blow my socks off' update. The last round saw a great top end model released with a really decent gpu option.

Anybody who is in the market for an iMac and are on a +3 year old iMac/PC switcher will be on to a good deal.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Are you implying that it's time for me to retire my 2004 Dual G5 2.5 GHz Mac that I am using right now?
post #151 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Are you implying that it's time for me to retire my 2004 Dual G5 2.5 GHz Mac that I am using right now?

You may laugh...but I've seriously considered buying a 2nd hand G5 just to run my Adobe Design collection.

Rosetta will run Illustrator but Photoshop is a no go. I guess it has been ten years...still...a G5 is cheaper (these days) that Photoshop. How ironic.

If you're G5 is still doing loyal and decent service keep it. It is a thing of timeless, engineered beauty.

But I think you'd notice a difference going to a top end iMac or the new Mac Pro when it (finally?) arrives. Stating the obvious, I guess.

I had my old Power Mac 604e 200 mhz for years after I bought in 1997. It cost a fortune with a 21 inch monitor and the adobe collection back then. It was hard to let it go when I did. It ran Photoshop 4 just fine! The only thing that went wrong with it was the battery for the date.

Nostalgically,

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #152 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

My mistake in having you guess. I meant to ask "What current $1,200 PCs will completely outshine the next Mac Pro in your estimation?"

Oh, none.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #153 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, none.

Ah I was a bit worried for a moment. Heh.
post #154 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Apple products are staggered obsolescence over time.

No big surprise. They add new features and cut hardware off.

If you get 3 good years with forthcoming software updates count yerself lucky these days.

It all depends upon your care in buying. With a careful selection of hardware you should get multiple years, with 5 years being easy. Right now one important key is to always prefer Macs with a dedicated GPU, one that supports OpenCL well. A second point buy at the sweet point between clock rate and cores. Third have more than enough RAM.

If you take care there is no reason why you shouldn't get 5 years out of the right Mac hardware. One of the reasons I've never considered the AIRs, even if they are desirable, is that the meet almost none of these parameters. AIRs are of course fine if you can accept disposable hardware, but I'm not willing to do that with a Mac.
Quote:

Progress I guess.

June/July for iMacs?

Er...I suppose desktop sales will plateau in the mean time as people wait. This has happened before. It's nothing new.

That does seem like a long ways away. If the rumors about a mid June WWDC are true then that would be a significant delay in getting out the new iMacs.
Quote:

I don't see this iMac update as a 'blow my socks off' update. The last round saw a great top end model released with a really decent gpu option.

Interesting, but why not? For one thing chipset technology has changed dramatically, both AMD and NVidia should be shipping their latest and greatest GPUs by then. These being the chips built on the low power processes. On an iMac, IB performance might be ho hum but other tech like USB 3 should come along for the ride.

The potential is there.
Quote:

Anybody who is in the market for an iMac and are on a +3 year old iMac/PC switcher will be on to a good deal.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Well let's hope so, as optimistic as I am, I still realize that Apple has blown it more than a few times.
post #155 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not true. Using the scheme begin proposed (essentially stackable boxes) offers a great deal of flexibility, as well.

Maybe you missed what I was saying but the point I was after was that Apple could have a much faster machine than the current Mac Pros in a smaller box. If they went with the new Suoer chip Intel just revealed, the one with built in Infiniband, the need for big boxes evaporate.
Quote:
Lets's say that you're CPU-limited. Simply add a box with a couple of CPUs. Or maybe a box with a couple of GPUs. Or maybe you're limited by the number of ports.

Yes I realize that and in a perfect world we would have software to take advantage of such platforms. However the reality is that we don't and frankly for many users never will have such software.
Quote:
Add a box with a couple of Ethernet or Thunderbolt or USB ports. Or a box with one or more hard drives.

There is little chance of success building a box that requires add ons for people to get the basic capabilities they expect.
Quote:
Or a box with an optical drive. And when it's time to upgrade, you can keep the storage box and simply replace the CPU box. Thunderbolt would make all of that possible.

TB has its value, but I don't tink it has much of a play as a cluster inter connect.
Quote:

Now, I don't really see it happening - it adds a layer of complexity in the purchasing decision that goes against the grain of what Apple has been doing for a decade. But it is an interesting concept. In particular, I could see an interesting niche market for small business or departmental servers.

Well for one Apple has pretty much given up on servers.

The bigger issue is Apples customers, I doubt the will accept a box that requires the purchase of another box just to get USB ports. Now don't take that as my being against smaller boxes for Pro usage, remember I'm a constant XMac advocate. What I'm saying is that a small box must present a rational Value equation. That is it must offer a feature mixe that appeals to a broad array of users.

After that base machine is available one can the configure later for various Pro needs. Here is where TB can come into play as a disk array would be a highly desired feature. That is an extended capability though, I suspect most Apple customers would be put off buying a box that doesn't have basic features. Further weakling demand for the Mini likely highlights and reinforces these thoughts. Especially in today's world where the economy doesn't allow for disposable purchases.

In a way I think we are in agreement in the large but disagree on the details.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July