or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July - Page 2

post #41 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #42 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Matte screen iMac will not be a "first" that has only every been available on MacBook Pro... my white plastic iMac (same basic form factor as the aluminum models) had a matte screen. They all did. There was no glossy option. iMac went from matte only to glossy only. Not sure if the previous form factors (lamp style and gumdrop) were matte or glossy... although of course the gumdrop was a tube.

The "lamp" style iMac had a matte screen.

The older CRT iMacs also all had matte, or at least anti-reflective screens. Pretty much all mainstream CRT computer monitors since the early 90s have had anti-reflective coatings on them. The high gloss screens of the iMacs and Macbooks were a huge step backwards.
post #43 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Hoping an announcement before NAB... along with new FCP X release.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #44 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Well I think the only thing left to do aesthetic and design-wise, is to make the entire front edge-to-edge viewable desktop. Meaning: skip "the chin" and drop the black bezel. Put the camera behind the viewable glass, which I think Apple owns a patent on(?) The stand can stay the same.

Jony Ives is always saying it's more important what they decide to drop out, and that's about the only things left. The iMac, as well as the MBP's, Airs... well, all of Apple's products... are as minimalist as is technologically possible at the moment.

They sure are NOT going to be adding neon tubes or LED strips around the sides any time soon.

So what exactly are you guys envisioning here as "radical"?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #45 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

The older CRT iMacs also all had matte, or at least anti-reflective screens.

I don't recall that at all.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #46 of 155
The question is will drivers ship with the hardware that will enable USB3. I think it will either at launch time or shortly after. The indications I've gotten is that many people at Apple are as hot on USB3 as are people here in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point?

Many people don't see their Macs as tools but rather as devices to enhance their self esteem.

Quote:


You're STILL on about that?

Only a complete idiot would continue to demand matte screens when HiDPI screens are coming. There are better ways for Apple to deal with the reflectivity issue, so let's hope Apple does something here. Something by the way that doesn't destroy the sharpness of the screen.
Quote:



Do we REALLY know that?

Well we know that the new hardware has USB support in at least some of the chipsets. So yeah the Macs will ship with USB3. How well Apple will exploit those new interfaces is another story. Knowing Apple the first release will likely be slow.

In any event I honestly believe that people at Apple want USB 3 as much as the rest of us. Contrary to opinion here, they realize that TB is not a USB replacement. With all of this pathetic whining about TB costs and so forth, nobody seems to realize that it was never intended for low cost devices. Beyond all of that Apple will likely want to support USB3 higher current limit to support charging all of those "I" devices.
post #47 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.

I agree.

I don't understand where people are wanting new Apple designs all the time, whether it be an iPhone, iPad, MBPs, whatever. Do you people not realize that they are almost all close to minimalist-perfection already. Nothing is perfect however, so a corner camber, or a few milimeters could be shaved off and replaced with visible work area, but not much more than that.

However, adding bulges, bumps, textures, or superfluous elements is just not what Jony Ives is all about. Colors are also not his "Cup-O-Tea" either, and he really does revel in the feel of natural materials. Alu, glass, steel... and possibly in the future Liquid Metal. That's what the guy's fetish is.

Leave the latex, plastic wrap and velvet gloves to the other "toys".
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #48 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

well, then if we get the i7-3770 in an iMac, not only will it be crazy fast, you'll be able to iron your shirt on the back of the iMac.


The current CPU i5 and i7 run at 95W,

The new Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs are supposed to be around 77W so they should run a bit cooler.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hoping an announcement before NAB... along with new FCP X release.

That's my speculation as well. The NAB convention seems like a good time/place to roll out a new Mac Pro alongside some kind of FCP X update. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
post #50 of 155
First of all, I'm happy that we are starting to hear about a timeframe for the new iMacs. I can suck it up for a few more months.

I love the iMacs design, and have a hard time envisioning major changes that would improve the aesthetic. It sounds reasonable that Apple would ditch the optical drive; maybe they could shrink the mother board too. But I don't think either of these tweaks would eliminate the chin, since that's where the speaker assemblies are housed.

It would be nice if the 27" iMac would line up with the 27" Thunderbolt display when they are next to each other.
post #51 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda View Post

It would be nice if the 27" iMac would line up with the 27" Thunderbolt display when they are next to each other.

Adjustable height would be nice.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #52 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

Give me a break.

The user community isn't going to accept a touch screen Mac for most of the productivity jobs they are currently used for. It puts the user at a disadvantage in traditional work settings and is conduciver to repeative stress injuries.

I suspect that Apple already knows how bad this will be for most use cases so I just don't see touch screens being a big draw. That isn't to say specific cases might not benefit, but rather that we as users will seldom benefit.
post #53 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well we know that the new hardware has USB support in at least some of the chipsets.

Support.

The chipsets also support USB 2 ports.

I would NOT put it past Apple to ignore USB 3 entirely and keep using 2.

Quote:
nobody seems to realize that it was never intended for low cost devices.

People keep saying this, but I don't get it.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #54 of 155
The point is a large touch screen does not make interfacing with a Mac easier, it makes it harder, more frustrating, and prone to error. While I'm certain a few use cases might exploit a large touch screen, the vast majority of the users will be better off with the traditional interface devices. Thus I see users spending a week or two with any touch capabilities that might be there and then reverting to traditional methods. Think about it if you are using any sort of text editor do you really want to have to touch the screen to do a copy and past?

The other way to look at this is to evaluate ones iPad and frustrations seen there with editing. Granted the limitations of portable devices make alternatives impossible but many editing maneuvers on the iPad are troublesome compared to equivalent operations on a Mac. Just because a method is optimal for a touch device does not mean that it holds up on a traditional screen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I agree.

I don't understand where people are wanting new Apple designs all the time, whether it be an iPhone, iPad, MBPs, whatever. Do you people not realize that they are almost all close to minimalist-perfection already. Nothing is perfect however, so a corner camber, or a few milimeters could be shaved off and replaced with visible work area, but not much more than that.

However, adding bulges, bumps, textures, or superfluous elements is just not what Jony Ives is all about. Colors are also not his "Cup-O-Tea" either, and he really does revel in the feel of natural materials. Alu, glass, steel... and possibly in the future Liquid Metal. That's what the guy's fetish is.

Leave the latex, plastic wrap and velvet gloves to the other "toys".
post #55 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

Dead, mate. Deceased. Just like the parrot in MP's sketch.

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.
post #56 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously you would play with for a week or two and then go back to more productive ways to interface with the computer.

Depends on the app. For photography and drawing I would like it. Also for iTunes I would like. Writing music- using it as a keyboard too.

Think outside the box.
post #57 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Give me a break.

The user community isn't going to accept a touch screen Mac for most of the productivity jobs they are currently used for. It puts the user at a disadvantage in traditional work settings and is conduciver to repeative stress injuries.

I suspect that Apple already knows how bad this will be for most use cases so I just don't see touch screens being a big draw. That isn't to say specific cases might not benefit, but rather that we as users will seldom benefit.

It's an option- ease up.
Once users see all the new Apps made for this that will also work on iPad and iPhone it could be very welcomed.
You could still revert it back to the traditional keyboard use.
post #58 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Dead, mate. Deceased. Just like the parrot in MP's sketch.

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

Hmm.

We'll see. The pundits of doom had the mini almost dead...once following a long delay between updates.

In short. The end of life status of the Mac Pro has not been officially confirmed yet. There's plenty of time yet (in Apple's world) for the update to follow as when their 'whim' allows it.

As for the iMac.

Brushing Ivy Bridge cpu to one side...(thinks power savings and a modicum of 5-15% boost. Ok but not revoutionary...)

I guess it's down to the GPU then. 7000 series from ATI. More ram. Bigger HD.

I don't see HiDPI screens this year for desktops as much as I'd like. Maybe that's 2013's big deal.

Be nice of the iMac to have a price cut to match the steep price rises it had in 2008.

I have a core 2 duo. I'd like the 27 incher. But with HiDPI screen rumours circling for Macs eg laptops...how long until we actually see them would make me wait a year or so more.

Ivy bridge's successor may pack more punch. Plus I'd like to see a 6 core option in the top end.

I can well imagine that the 're-designed' iMac is merely going to have some alu shaved off it.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #59 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Dead, mate. Deceased.

I would love to say that the reports of the death of the Mac Pro have been greatly exaggerated but I unfortunately don't know that to be the case. For all we know, you may be right.
post #60 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't recall that at all.

Because they did not.
I had a hook-on 3M antiglare cover made of clear lucite - matched the iMac perfectly.
post #61 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Mac Pro??

I feel your pain... I'm also waiting to see what happens on that field to make my decision on a new desktop.
post #62 of 155
Quote:
There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

You could be right. Apple Computer is dead...long live Apple Inc and all that. The computer is dead. Long live the computer.

The prosumer is dead. Long live the consumer...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #63 of 155
I don't notice the glare/reflections at all now. It was only obvious with a light source on the iMac. I have my iMac in front of the window.

Don't notice it unless I 'focus' on it to notice.

Hated the white iMacs for their crappy plastic press in screens.

Love the glass. Coatings such as anti reflect? That's up to Apple I guess.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #64 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Agreed - the metalic/glass/black and gray look was passe even before Apple released it.
Not that it's not unattractive it's just not that unusual.
The iMacs always used to have groundbreaking design- bring it back.

I'm about to agree with you.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #65 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would love to say that the reports of the death of the Mac Pro have been greatly exaggerated but I unfortunately don't know that to be the case. For all we know, you may be right.

Heh. It was the same old drama story when the mini had gone awhile without an update.

Some 'rumour' sites even going as far to say it was dead...I think at the time...and then had to do about face saving reports to the contrary. Tee-hee.

In the absence of Apple saying anything hysteria follows.

see iPad 3 name. iPhone 5 naming debacle. Mac Mini update taking ages. Most of Apple news is like this because of Apple's secrecy.

If we don't see a Mac Pro by the fall we can summise it's demise. But even then...you never know with Apple. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #66 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

OS XI ?? Did Tim Cook tell you something he has not shared with the rest of the world?

post #67 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

There are no more prosumers. Merely consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The prosumer is dead. Long live the consumer...

I'm not sure I agree that the prosumer is dead. Seems to me, at least as far as Apple is concerned, that the pro user is dead and they're concentrating their efforts in the prosumer (FCP X, etc.) and consumer (iEverything else) areas.
post #68 of 155
That is to ignore USB3. I see nothing that would lead one to believe they have some sort of vendetta against USB3. I do see long spin cycles on new hardware which is all Intel based, this means they are without chipset support. So what has Apple done to convince you that they don't care about USB3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Support.

The chipsets also support USB 2 ports.

I would NOT put it past Apple to ignore USB 3 entirely and keep using 2.

There are good reasons for them to support USB 3 and almost no negatives. So I really have a hard time believing Apple won't support it when the hardware is there.

Quote:

People keep saying this, but I don't get it.

Maybe it is time to just accept what you are being told. That may sound rough or over bearing but this has been addressed multiple times on the forum. In any event just consider the deltas in hardware costs. There are dozens of vendors from which I can get an array of micro controllers that support USB. Some of these are complete systems, voltage regulators and all, further they are dirt cheap.

Now consider TB, right off the bat the interface cable costs more than the USB micro controller. Then you have the TB cross bar switch chip and it's supporting micro controller. A micro controller by the way that needs to support PCI-Express. Compounding that the speed of TB implies a need for buffering RAM. All of this sits on a logic board with a power supply and that board needs to be designed for some very high speed signals. So without even looking we have a system that may cost ten times what a USB solution might. It is no surprise at all that the first systems on the market are more expensive RAID arrays where some of the interface expense can be covered.

If you don't like these explanations take a look at the pictures of the guts of Apples TB monitor. The controller for that TB device could pass for a computer itself.
post #69 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Perfect timing- I'll start budgeting for it now. I need to get my computer up in the iCloud as my 2006 matte CoreDuo iMac is not alowed/capable. My mobileme mail stopped working on my iMac ever since I took my iPhone and iPad up into the cloud.

well yeah, you moved it to iCloud which doesn't work on your computer. Of course things were going to go wonky. Why did you move it now instead of waiting until you absolutely had to. Mobile Me would have still worked on the iPad/iphone.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #70 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Heh. It was the same old drama story when the mini had gone awhile without an update.

Some 'rumour' sites even going as far to say it was dead...I think at the time...and then had to do about face saving reports to the contrary. Tee-hee.

In the absence of Apple saying anything hysteria follows.

see iPad 3 name. iPhone 5 naming debacle. Mac Mini update taking ages. Most of Apple news is like this because of Apple's secrecy.

If we don't see a Mac Pro by the fall we can summise it's demise. But even then...you never know with Apple. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

Well, here's to hoping. I just need something with more than 4 cores and desktop GPU performance. I tried working on the latest iMac and as someone else said, it got hot enough to iron a shirt.
post #71 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

OS XI ?? Did Tim Cook tell you something he has not shared with the rest of the world?


Well... I think it's kind of obvious that they must be working or, at least, have a vision of what's going to come next on what computer OS is concerned. Also we are running out of "cats" so...
post #72 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been working on a stand design that allows the user to take their multitouch desktop and move it between a keyboard-level angle and a vertical display.

That's what Apple will have to make to get OS XI accepted.

I'd like it if you could rotate the Screen to a vertical lock. That would be cool for me. That an a HiDPI screen to get closer to a WYSIWYG apparition of print art work.

I don't see either happening.

Boutique chic like the Cube and the Lamp iMac are part of the Museum of Modern Art? But they aren't what Apple's doing these days. Function, minimal designs. Radical. A little but not so much.

Just 'better' - sleeker and xen like simplicity more than the opposition.

But hey, feel free to toast my Bon Bons if Apple turns up with a Guy Fawkes limited edition iMac.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #73 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Also we are running out of "cats" so...

Well, they could try OS 10.9 Garfield.
post #74 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I want a radically redesigned iMac.

Haven't you been reading the rumors. They are dropping the chin, and the Optical drive. Plus the display is going to go edge to edge and of course be Retina (which means a new GPU). The drives will all be SSD now, no actual hard drives and they will come with 8GB of high speed Ram. They are going to come in new 36 and 46 inch sizes as well.

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If the screen resolution is better, I will purchase the new iMac. Matte isn't important in my situation

The rumor isn't Matte screens but more the same Museum Glass you see in front of paintings and such. Cuts down on light reflection without the total color dimming of a matte screen. Would be a welcome change on the iPhone and iPad as well.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #75 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, here's to hoping. I just need something with more than 4 cores and desktop GPU performance. I tried working on the latest iMac and as someone else said, it got hot enough to iron a shirt.

Trust me, I feel your pain. I waited years for a rational Pro and plumped for a top end iMac in a sale. So I know what it's like to wait. (Try ten years, mate.)

I wouldn't try to gaffer tape my face to the top left side of the iMac at full tilt. Sizzle and burn, baby. :O

I wonder...could they shoe in low end Xeon 6 core on the top end model?

The 6970m (Isn't that the one they use in the top end now...?) has decent performance? Not that far off it's desktop counterpart?

I suppose we'll get some 7000 class gpus. (We'd better!)

Come on, Apple. 'Give it everything you've got.'

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #76 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The iMac hasn't seen a major redesign in 7 years. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a major redesign in 11 years. Has Apple run out of ideas?

Not necessarily. If the current ones are selling why fix what ain't broke. especially if you are changing it just to change it.

When there is a value to changing things, Apple will. Until then, they will focus on the internals.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #77 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.

Well, if they can cram true Mac Pro performance in that new iMac of yours, then sign me up.
post #78 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Haven't you been reading the rumors. They are dropping the chin, and the Optical drive. Plus the display is going to go edge to edge and of course be Retina (which means a new GPU). The drives will all be SSD now, no actual hard drives and they will come with 8GB of high speed Ram. They are going to come in new 36 and 46 inch sizes as well.

Oh and they are killing the Mac Pro, who needs that silly little machine now that we have the new iMacs.

I can never tell when you're joking. (Says in a female voice.)

But hey, it sounds like an iMac I might want so...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #79 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That's my speculation as well. The NAB convention seems like a good time/place to roll out a new Mac Pro alongside some kind of FCP X update. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The 2012 NAB Show starts next week. It would be nice but I don't believe Apple is going to fulfill your wishes on this one. If an update/new Mac Pro is on the verge of being released, some kind of rumor would have popped up a couple of weeks ago.
post #80 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Depends on the app. For photography and drawing I would like it. Also for iTunes I would like. Writing music- using it as a keyboard too.

You say that now but I'm simply not convinced that most users would accept such interfacing. I see a lot of touch screen usage in factories, beyond terrible interfaces it is just more difficult for the operators than reaching for a keyboard.

As I said there might be use cases where it is an advantage but those are darn few. Even for photography and such it has severe limitations.
Quote:

Think outside the box.

You really need to think about what you are asking for. If you did you would realize it is a niche feature at best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

It's an option- ease up.
Once users see all the new Apps made for this that will also work on iPad and iPhone it could be very welcomed.
You could still revert it back to the traditional keyboard use.

This is the problem, it wouldn't be welcomed. Users would revert to traditional interfaces very quickly because it would be a huge productivity drain. Even a novice keyboard user can pound away at a keyboard faster than he can a touch screen. Further he can do so with more accuracy and with les fatigue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July