or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple exploring face detection to unlock, customize & interact with iOS devices

Apple exploring face detection to unlock, customize & interact with iOS devices

post #1 of 39
Apple has shown continued interest in using the forward facing camera on devices like the iPhone to unlock the display and customize its layout based on detecting the identity of the person using it.

Evidence of Apple's interest in having devices identify users with facial recognition technology has repeatedly cropped up. In early 2010, before the iPad was announced, The Wall Street Journal revealed that an early prototype of Apple's touchscreen tablet would use a forward-facing camera to recognize users' faces, allowing it to be one device easily shared by the entire family.

This week, AppleInsider found another example of Apple's desire to have iOS devices recognize users in a new patent application entitled "Electronic Device Operation Adjustment Based on Face Detection." It describes using a forward facing camera on a device to recognize individual users and also track the orientation of their face with respect to the device.

The application describes a system that could scan and detect a specific user's face, and then unlock the device after the person has been recognized. If the user cannot be identified by the system, they would then be presented with the option of entering a security code to unlock the iPhone or iPad.

But Apple's application goes well beyond simply unlocking the device. By recognizing a specific user, the system could customize its layout or other settings based on the pre-set preferences of that authorized user.

"If the detected human face is recognized... an operation of the (device) can be modified based upon the recognized human face," the application reads. "The modification can include executing a pre-defined set of operations such as opening email, opening text messages, and so forth."

A similar concept was detailed in another patent application discovered by AppleInsider in December of 2011. That filing described iPhones and iPads that could automatically customize applications, settings and features to a user's personal preferences once they pick up the device.

The latest application revealed this week also presents a new potential use for the forward facing camera on iOS devices, describing a system that would automatically adjust the images on screen based on the orientation of a user's face.

"The facial data can be used to determine an orientation of the human face relative to the orientation of the presented visual content," the filing reads. "In other words, the electronic device can determine if the orientation of the presented visual content, is substantially the same, or different, than the orientation of the human face."

In this way, the content on the screen could readjust itself so that the user can more clearly see it at the proper angle, without any distortion.

Facial recognition technology could also be used to automatically lock a device and put it into sleep mode. If a human face is not detected by the system over a set period of time, the system would presume that it is not in use, and it would automatically lock the screen.

The application, made public this week, was first filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in September of 2010. It is credited to John E. Arthur.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 39
And in other news, HTC Granted patent on facial regonition to unlock

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/04/0...r-face-unlock/
post #3 of 39
Cool- So in other words the new AppleTV will be able to interact like a Microsoft Kinect?
Just sayin'...
post #4 of 39
I think it would be way better if they put some sort of fingerprint scanner on the home button.
And it would automatically unlock when you press the button and it detects the right fingerprint, if the fingerprint is wrong it prompts you with a password.
post #5 of 39
I hope it works better than the Android phones, where you can use a picture of the person to unlock the phone.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrocket View Post

I think it would be way better if they put some sort of fingerprint scanner on the home button.
And it would automatically unlock when you press the button and it detects the right fingerprint, if the fingerprint is wrong it prompts you with a password.

I was just going to say that it's a good thing Apple is looking to apply this type of technology in their products. By the looks of the poor kid's hands in the illustration it's apparent he would have difficulty using the "slide to unlock" feature of iOS devices so I think fingerprint detection technology would be completely out of the question.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #7 of 39
I didn't know there were Doc Martens golf spikes.
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And in other news, HTC Granted patent on facial regonition to unlock

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/04/0...r-face-unlock/

That patent is going to be invalidated as soon as someone challenges it. The technology has been known for many years. For example, I bought an HP laptop with fingerprint scanner almost a decade ago which would fall under the claims of HTC's patent.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #9 of 39
Apple bought Polar Rose, a Swedish company that specializes in Facial Recognition software a couple years back..
post #10 of 39
It better be more accurate than iPhoto that's all I can say! If not Brad Pitt will be able to access my devices ...
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I was just going to say that it's a good thing Apple is looking to apply this type of technology in their products. By the looks of the poor kid's hands in the illustration it's apparent he would have difficulty using the "slide to unlock" feature of iOS devices so I think fingerprint detection technology would be completely out of the question.

That kid's hand is seemingly designed to facilitate easy reseting of his Netgear Router or ejecting a floppy from his Mac Plus!
post #12 of 39
Notification center, facial recognition. What else is Apple looking to steal from Android? Maybe it's time to go thermonuclear on them?
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocks View Post

Notification center, facial recognition. What else is Apple looking to steal from Android? Maybe it's time to go thermonuclear on them?

I know, I was thinking the same thing. it what happens when the competition is at 51% in your home country.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I didn't know there were Doc Martens golf spikes.

They look more like Lugz, the kid has a serious case of whiplash.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I hope it works better than the Android phones, where you can use a picture of the person to unlock the phone.

Yeah that seems like the obvious "hack" to bypass security.
A Z-depth cam like the Kinect would be able to easily distinguish between a flat surface picture and a three dimentional head though. Or maybe you have to turn your head from side to side to log in.

The auto rotation of content... I don't know.. It'll draw an awful lot of power if the camera is on all the time, analyzing the image. Plus, it'll feel weird.
post #16 of 39
Quote:

Samsung is going to require that you blink to unlock the phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/29/29...on-face-unlock

Of course, they must have stolen the idea from Apple. /s
post #17 of 39
Quote:

If someone randomly takes or finds your phone (maybe you leave it in a bar) the odds are they won't have a picture of you.

It's not particularly strong protection but it is beter than the no security which is what many people use.
post #18 of 39
So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature? I guess if Apple rips it off from somebody else, it's okay.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has shown continued interest in using the forward facing camera on devices like the iPhone to unlock the display and customize its layout based on detecting the identity of the person using it.

Evidence of Apple's interest in having devices identify users with facial recognition technology has repeatedly cropped up. In early 2010, before the iPad was announced, The Wall Street Journal revealed that an early prototype of Apple's touchscreen tablet would use a forward-facing camera to recognize users' faces, allowing it to be one device easily shared by the entire family.

These guesses make little sense. The iPhone is a personal device - it is not shared, and there is little reason to think that multiple users would need a "custom layout".

With the iPad, keeping it personal likely results in multiple sales for families, with members having their own device, rather than sharing a common device.

I can see this tech being used on desktop machines, but not on iOS devices.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That kid's hand is seemingly designed to facilitate easy reseting of his Netgear Router or ejecting a floppy from his Mac Plus!

I love the graphic. Typical Apple fan, captured in just a few simple lines.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by openminded View Post

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature? I guess if Apple rips it off from somebody else, it's okay.

Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas. Why is this anything new?
post #22 of 39
Quote:

There was a rumor Apple will have this feature on the original iPad. That's way long before even Honeycomb.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocks View Post

I didn't realize Google invented facial recognition..
post #24 of 39
Quote:

LOL. I saw that on YouTube. How ironic.

Yet more quick-and-dirty perpetual beta software from Google. When will they ever learn?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #25 of 39
Quote:

Ice Cream Sandwich? The latest version of Android?

I hear it already has over 1% of overall Android market share. Five whole months after its release.
That fragmentation problem really is a killer, isn't it?

But oh well, like all fragdroid fans always say, "Wait until the next release!"
What's it called? Fruitcake?

post #26 of 39
Quote:

Are you going to point out that Apple's original filings for this idea were made public long before ICS got this feature? Furthermore, are you going to point out that this is just a patent filing and in no way means Apple is actually going to implement it?

Face detection has been around a long time, Android is not the first system to use it, nor will it be the last. There have been all sorts of security clearance technologies used, fingerprint scanning, voice recognition, face detection, usb dongles, security cards, etc.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #27 of 39
I take the patent application art as proof that Jobs intended to be reincarnated as some kind of beach slacker with terrifying prosthetics.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #28 of 39
Quote:

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature?

Really, would it have been that hard to read the thread before posting?
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple has always been shameless about stealing great ideas. Why is this anything new?

Another opportunity for Apple to actually get it right for consumers.

Fair play to Apple, since the industry has been using Apple as its R&D dept. for years now.

Especially where it concerns Android.
post #30 of 39
who give a rats a$$ who invented it. it would be neat to have as another option for iDevice.
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But oh well, like all fragdroid fans always say, "Wait until the next release!"
What's it called? Fruitcake?

Jelly Bean. The first letters are in alphabetical order.
post #32 of 39
Oh look! Android's next major feature that fandroids will claim Apple stole...

Pattern detection
post #33 of 39
Quote:

You mean a junk OS with stolen parts that is in perpetual beta?
post #34 of 39
Quote:

So none of you fanboys are going to point out the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich already has this feature?

They're still waiting for their carrier to offer an upgrade. If history is any guide, Ice Cream Sandwich will be available for current phone owners somewhere between 2015 and never.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 39
Quote:
The application describes a system that could scan and detect a specific user's face, and then unlock the device after the person has been recognized. If the user cannot be identified by the system, they would then be presented with the option of entering a security code to unlock the iPhone or iPad.

Oh Jeez, another "patent" application of a feature found on Android and my brother Galaxy Nexus... No doubt that the living joke that is the US patent office would grant it: scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They're still waiting for their carrier to offer an upgrade. If history is any guide, Ice Cream Sandwich will be available for current phone owners somewhere between 2015 and never.

Huh, FYI the Galaxy Nexus who was released a few months ago in Europe run over Ice Cream Sandwich, it precisely have that feature: face unlock if you select it and if it fails either a schema or whatever you have selected next to unlock your phone... Inform yourself or look silly.
post #36 of 39
Nice to see Apple playing catch-up with Google.
post #37 of 39
So basically it is going to work more or less the same way it does on my Galaxy Nexus....

It recognizes your face, it tracks your movement, and it can be used to set some custome features...

I wonder if Apple will sue Samgung or Google over this?
post #38 of 39
What's really sad is that if the article was about Google ripping off Apple's feature, this thread would have 300+ replies wishing Google and all of their employees to burn in hell forever. But since it's about Apple stealing, the fanboys just go about their business and troll in other threads
post #39 of 39
Apple doesn't want 2 people to share 1 iphone/iPad. Apple wants to sell 2 phones. There will never be technology to improve the user experience for 2 people to share 1 iphone/ipad.

Go buy your own device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple exploring face detection to unlock, customize & interact with iOS devices