or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android - Page 6

post #201 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And from what perspective is all this "viewing"? Apple haters that would never buy an Apple device in the first place?

Ooh - I'll bet Apple is quaking in their boots.

Let's leave the land of fantasy and enter reality. If Apple wishes to keep their IP, they have to defend it. They also have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to defend their IP. All your other touchy-feely crap is just that - crap.



Er, Schmidt was on the Apple board and Jobs and Schmidt were even saw talking in public. Nice for you to assume Apple is shooting first and asking question later



You could always say it's far cheaper to steal than develop your own IP. Especially when your competitor is probably a good decade ahead of you and you have no hope of naturally catching up. Gambling with the lawyers for that last hail-mary isn't that much of a stretch when your facing complete irrelevancy in the largest opportunity since the original personal computer.



That's because you don't see any value in what Apple brought to the table. Color me shocked!



For Android manufacturers! Why figure hard stuff out when you can either just steal it or bully someone into licensing it to you.

What a grim and uninspired world yours would be...



And I think I'm glad that you are no where in the decision tree for Apple strategy and that Apple is doing just fine picking their battles.

The reason you see all the posturing is because this is literally the fight for the largest new market since the personal computer - one that will be even bigger!

Let's just say that you missed my point entirely... by a mile.

No use arguing with you, though, you live in the land of fantasy that says that Apple has already won this fight in the courtroom. It aint Apple's ip until the court says it's Apple's ip. I am slightly curious, though, as to what you consider a big win for Apple.

Me? I live in a land of reality that says that Apple could still lose. As a matter of fact, Apple could even have an injunction placed against it to stop selling certain products in certain places. Oh, wait... that already happened. Oh no... Apple certainly couldn't be using somebody else's ip!

Give me a break, Skippy... all your ranting means nothing until all of the court cases comes to an end.

[Isn't this where I say I'm an Apple fan and that I've been buying Apple gear for over 30 years.]
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #202 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm inclined to think Larry Page is delusional to think Steve didn't mind the rip off!

What else is he gonna say?
post #203 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, and I've said it before, I think some of these guys are paid by AI to get up the click count.

Its been interesting here, I read some of the longer threads and find interesting members of the Mac community from all perspectives. Island, you are one of my favorites, along with ragosta, addabox and flaneur.

Too many garbage threads now. I'm going to lurk on some other apple news and rumor sites, I'll check back in in a couple months. I don't know if two mods are on vacation or what happened to this site, but seeing island get slapped with infractions for what he wrote is just maddening.

Oh, and you need to get your shit typist a better keyboard, or figure out why he can't type an ampersand. It's getting old seeing ATamp;mp T over and over in really poorly edited 'reports'.
Agony to read, so,

Bye.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #204 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sure. Like driving a Prius. Can enable you to feel smug and superior without having to actually do anything meaningful!

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #205 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

you live in the land of fantasy that says that Apple has already won this fight in the courtroom. It aint Apple's ip until the court says it's Apple's ip.

Or someone blinks first.

Quote:
I am slightly curious, though, as to what you consider a big win for Apple.

I dunno, Android has shot itself in the foot to the point where if Apple were to settle for a per unit license such as Microsoft is getting that would probably be sufficient.

Quote:
Me? I live in a land of reality that says that Apple could still lose.

Sure - anything is possible. The cubs may win the series too!

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Apple could even have an injunction placed against it to stop selling certain products in certain places.

In the international version of the east Texas court...

Quote:
Give me a break, Skippy... all your ranting means nothing until all of the court cases comes to an end.

Or someone blinks first. There's nothing that says they have to go to a full end.

Quote:
[Isn't this where I say I'm an Apple fan and that I've been buying Apple gear for over 30 years.]

You could but it wouldn't matter in the least.

We do agree on one thing - it's not over just yet!
post #206 of 217
I can totally understand Jobs.
I like Apples.
Reply
I like Apples.
Reply
post #207 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Apple fans are delusional. If you guys didn't know, Apple's iOS 5 or 5.1 (I know for sure 5.1 has this) stole the idea of having a camera short-cut from the lockscreen as most Android phones (previously Apple only had an option of slide-to-unlock for years and years). And of course they took the status bar notification from Android as well. Lets see when Apple will add features like Face unlock, widgets, live wallpapers, time lapse, and panorama mode within camera settings (not a first for cameras, pretty sure a first for either Android or iOS). So sure, if Android is copying from Apple's iOS, well iOS is doing the same thing so quit whining!

1) I don't think Android OS was the first to have the camera button on the lock screen.

2) I know Android OS was not the first to have a notifications. bar.

3) The other items are too stupid to comment further, including how you've only mentioned superficial aspects and haven't referred to a single patent.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #208 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I'm only comparing Android and iOS as far as "copying" is concerned. I'm not into legal crap like patents and stuff,

If you're not into "legal crap" than you can't make a sound judgement on what you think has been "copied" because legality is the only metric that is worth discussing.

It's like if I said that other phones can't use Gorilla Glass simply because Apple was first to use it. It's just ridiculous on the face of it.

Quote:
I see nothing of interest from a boring, 5 or 6 year old OS that hardly ever change (just look at the home screen for God's sake!). Apple's UI is so boring, yes it is simple to use, but because of simplicity, you're limited in what you can do as compared to Android, adding new features and extended options after each major update (see ICS 4.0).

You're entitled to your opinion, no reasonable person will begrudge you of that, but iOS works because it's familiar. You can move from iPhone to iPhone or to the iPad and have an idea of how to use the device. You simply can't do that from different versions of Android OS, much less different UIs vendors add. Hell, you can't even get a consistent back button interaction with Android which I founds to be so annoying that it in itself was a a deal killer.

Bottom line: You can't think of what you only want when you consider a market.

Quote:
But really, I think one of the major reason why Android seems to lag in performance is the graphical UI's it has to process during user interactions, etc. Apple on the other hand is simple UI, doesn't take a genius to figure that out that it demands less processing power, therefore makes it a smoother user experience? Does that make sense?

1) That is one of many reasons that iOS is much smoother with a slower CPU. Note that WinPh is smooth like butter on a single-core CPU with dynamically updating tiles.

2) What doesn't make sense is how you trumpeting silly features and then saying that the reason that Android OS isn't smooth.

Quote:
I haven't used any other OS besides Android and iOS so no, I don't know who came up with the slide down notification before Android, but I know for sure it wasn't Apple. As far as the camera shortcut from the lockscreen, same thing, Android had that (between the two OS's) well before Apple did, and that is fact.

How are you so sure it wasn't Apple if those are the only two OSes you've used? You do know that Apple was founded before 2007, right?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #209 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

We're on the topic of Steve Jobs accusing Android as a stolen product. That's why I'm comparing the two OS', trying to point out the obvious copycat that Apple is doing in their OS. If Google doesn't hold the patents to those features in Android, then I guess both Android and iOS stole ideas from someone else then.

Why don't you establish what Steve accused Android of stealing first, before saying that Android is not a stolen product. You've made some very weak and superficial claims that don't prove there is no code in Android that was stolen from others. What about Java?

Quote:
I am referring to the iPhone being released in 2007, and the iOS that was on that phone thereafter.

Right, it's not fair to think that Apple existed before the iPhone.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #210 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why don't you establish what Steve accused Android of stealing first, before saying that Android is not a stolen product. You've made some very weak and superficial claims that don't prove there is no code in Android that was stolen from others. What about Java?

What about Java?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #211 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What about Java?

You seriously aren't aware of the Oracle v Google issues over Java when Jobs made that comment?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I think this says it all about Apple..

<big ass image>

You've gone from not making a cogent argument in text to not making a cogent argument with a big ass image.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #212 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I am referring to the iPhone being released in 2007, and the iOS that was on that phone thereafter.

See, there's your problem. There are lots of ideas in the world the came from stuff developed before 2007, and they got adapted and repurposed into devices after 2007. If you don't want to deal with history, you need to not make sweeping definitive generalizations about who did what first.

I can say three things that pretty much blow your Android arguments out of the water. Just go back and see who had what first.

Newton.

Palm Pilot and follow-ons.

WebOS. [yes still Palm, but a distinctly different beast than the original Palm devices] [notifications better than the rest]

Really there isn't much truly new in the world, it's all adaptation of what came before, and a company making PCs since the late 1970s has a long history to pull from. Palm, now a minuscule part of HP isn't quite as long lived as Apple, but it had lots of great innovation in it's heyday.

Now tell me something non-trivial or overly narrowly defined that Apple and/or Palm didn't have a hand in defining first. Notice those two major players had features that did similar things, but actually went about doing them in obviously unique ways. They played nicely and didn't just copy and then get pissed about being called on it, responding then with patent hissy-fits with patents that were already promised as part of a standard.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #213 of 217
hmmm...

Google owns over 2000 (probably closer to 3000) software and hardware patents, not including those with Motorola, and doesn't sue any competitor.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #214 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

hmmm...

Google owns over 2000 (probably closer to 3000) software and hardware patents, not including those with Motorola, and doesn't sue any competitor.

And what's you're point? They are altruistic? They are buying patents with no intention of ever defending them? That all patents are created equal and that it's the quantity, not quality, that matters with a patent portfolio?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #215 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You seriously aren't aware of the Oracle v Google issues over Java when Jobs made that comment?

I'm well aware of what Oracle claims. So far their efforts to prove it have been suffering.

You should follow the well-detailed articles at Groklaw. There's really very little left of Oracle's case, which is probably why FOSSPatents lost interest.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #216 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Like I said, that image says it all about Apple. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out what it means.

Since we seem to be idiots, mind explaining "what it means" for us?

Quote:
so you bringing up Palm Pilots, and WebOS doesn't really do much for me because I don't know much about them and their histories.

So wouldn't you think you'd go read some more about the history of what we're discussing so that you can refine your argument to not be false?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #217 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since we seem to be idiots, mind explaining "what it means" for us?

I don't know what his point was either so throw me in with the dummy group
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android