or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android - Page 2

post #41 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

Isaacson wasn't basing his statement off of his technical knowledge of mobile operating systems, he was paraphrasing what Steve Jobs said to him. And the whole point of this most recent squabble is not the validity of the claims that Android ripped-off iOS, but that SJ was doing it for show. Isaacson was simply pointing out that right or wrong, SJ was truly pissed of and that he (SJ) believed that it was a wholesale copy. What you are asking for is for SJ to explain why he believed that he got ripped-off (and I believe that he really thought that), but unless you have a Ouija Board all you're going to get is Isaacson's report of how sincerely upset SJ was.

Isaacson is using the situation to promote his book. Of course he'd claim Steve Jobs said that to him. It doesn't mean he knew whether it was just for show, or genuine.
post #42 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You're right. On second look, it's obvious that it's a big coincidence that the post 2007-Android looks and acts like the iPhone.

No one said it was a coincidence.
post #43 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

We've had this argument a thousand times already; just look up the "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" logical fallacy.

Thanks Sheldon.
post #44 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Isaacson is using the situation to promote his book. Of course he'd claim Steve Jobs said that to him. It doesn't mean he knew whether it was just for show, or genuine.

Straight up. You're a moron if you think SJ wasn't pissed about the total rip off. Go away troll. No one wants to hear your erratic ramblings. This isn't a discussion about "verbatim", it isn't a discussion about a book being sold, this is about SJ & Apple being upset over copying. If you can't see that then I doubt you can see the forest through the trees either.

/ignore

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #45 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


After hearing Page's interpretation of Jobs's words, Isaacson spoke out this week in a speech at the Royal institution of Great Britain. Isaacson said he felt that Android had ripped off many of his ideas found in the iPhone and iPad, and that his ire was very real, according to Macworld.



Isaacson has every reason to claim that his work is accurate and that he was not fooled or conned by Steve.

Isaacson could not possibly have fallen for Steve's RDF? Naw. Impossible.
post #46 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Straight up. You're a moron if you think SJ wasn't pissed about the total rip off. Go away troll. No one wants to hear your erratic ramblings. This isn't a discussion about "verbatim", it isn't a discussion about a book being sold, this is about SJ & Apple being upset over copying. If you can't see that then I doubt you can see the forest through the trees either.

/ignore

Of course he was pissed off, but was it a rip-off? He was pissed at losing a potential monopoly. It's all about money, not about honor.
post #47 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

If it's so ovbious a cut and dry rip-off then why hasn't it been stopped and ordered to cease and desist already?

Because in Thermonuclear War, you target your enemy's allies and trading partners with minor, ineffective tactics? The thing is that when you decide to use Weapons of Mass Destruction, your best bet is to start off slow, and to not use them, and to not go after your main enemy.

Thermonuclear War is NOT a process of sudden massive destruction. It is a slow, drip drip drip where you target the enemy's allies with minor skirmishes.

Everybody knows that.

/s
post #48 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Apple should sue then.

Coming back to my original comment, I contested specifically the word verbatim.

After the fact you did, because you wanted to cling to your tenuous arguing point.
Quote:
I'm not interested in getting sucked deeper in yet another general "Android was stolen" discussion.

Really? Because you created exactly that type of "discussion." Further, your one-word replies show you are only interested in trolling, not an actual, you know, discussion.
post #49 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

After the fact you did, because you wanted to cling to your tenuous arguing point.


Really? Because you created exactly that type of "discussion." Further, your one-word replies show you are only interested in trolling, not an actual, you know, discussion.

The number of words is directly proportional to the value of the comment. /s
post #50 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Because in Thermonuclear War, you target your enemy's allies and trading partners with minor, ineffective tactics? The thing is that when you decide to use Weapons of Mass Destruction, your best bet is to start off slow, and to not use them, and to not go after your main enemy.

Everybody knows that.

/s

Neither strategy worked for Steve'o, if you haven't noticed, he is no longer with us.

No one else see the irony in SJ's statements?
post #51 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

*cough

verbatim

*cough

almost

He wasn't talking about code, but rather the style of the hardware and the user interface. You would have to be blind not to notice the sea change in the mobile industry after Apple unveiled the iPhone.

Sorry, but after the iPhone Google did shift Android in a different direction towards a touch-based, keyboard-less-important UI. There is no arguing that point... It was obvious after the release of the G1, which only had half-baked touch support, almost two years after Apple showed the iPhone to the world.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #52 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

*cough

almost

...

I expected this comment an hour ago. "Almost verbatim" is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?
post #53 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Currently Tim Cook is ridinig the success and waves of what Steve Jobs placed in the pipeline for Apple.

Cook though is obviously not going to have the same drive and passion about apple as steve did, and his approach to settle with google is an obvious indicator.

i think Jobs would be dissapointed in how Cook is handling the things he fought for.

Cook should drop the nuke on Google. I'm pretty sure scott forstall would have kept to steves vision!

Cook in a few years will be another sculley.

Hmmm... I don't think Tim Cook is failing at all. Last September I commented on here that I wondered what Tim Cook really felt about these lawsuits. If Isaacson is right then we can see that Tim would rather just end this lawsuit chapter at Apple (not that there won't be others) and move forward with a new Apple.

In my opinion, Steve's vision should have stayed in the lab with Ive. The idea of trying to destroy Android is just stupid. Go the same route as Microsoft, get as many $$$ as you can from licensing fees and put that money into developing projects that will destroy Android on the sales playing field.

Steve was not right about everything.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #54 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Unless Isaacson can show what exactly is copied verbatim by Android, he is full of shit.

You don't have eyes, do you?
post #55 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Apple should sue then.

Coming back to my original comment, I contested specifically the word verbatim. I'm not interested in getting sucked deeper in yet another general "Android was stolen" discussion.

You've conveniently removed the word "almost" from the original quote. He was also talking about ideas, not code.
post #56 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Neither strategy worked for Steve'o, if you haven't noticed, he is no longer with us.

No one else see the irony in SJ's statements?

I find it very ironic that he said he would fight them to the death.
post #57 of 217
Gurgles should shut up and retire.
post #58 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I find it very ironic that he said he would fight them to the death.

No No, he said "his last dying breath". There lies the irony and Steve's ultimate failure. Not only did he not destroy Android, his predecessor has already hinted at ending these suits which will allow Android to live on forever.
post #59 of 217
Apple rarely has the big original idea. They take something that's already out there, e.g. GUI, MP3 player, smart phone, tablet and do what no one else was able to do--they do it right. Then everyone copies them. Apple stays in front by continuing to do it better than anyone else. Windows has never been able to catch Mac OS.

From what I've seen so far, Tim Cook and the Apple crew are going to keep Apple in front. I certainly hope so. If they don't we'll have to settle for Android, Windows, et al. How utterly sad and pathetic that would be.
post #60 of 217
I think a settlement would be fine. As long as it included a clause requiring Google to issue a $100 million TV and web ad campaign where they admit to having stolen the IP and refer to themselves as common criminals. Perhaps the real individuals who made the decisions to steal the concepts should appear in the ads and thus be labeled directly as the criminals they are.
post #61 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The idea of trying to destroy Android is just stupid. Go the same route as Microsoft, get as many $$$ as you can from licensing fees and put that money into developing projects that will destroy Android on the sales playing field.

Steve was not right about everything.


I'm not sure that either strategy makes sense.


Fighting Android in the manner thus far employed has been spectacularly ineffective.

But licensing the tech would dilute the iProduct's exclusivity and added value. There are many unique aspects to iOS and to license those, IMO and seemingly in the opinion of Apple's suits too, would not be the path to maximizing profits. My guess is that Apple has considered that option seriously, and that their projections show that it is not the path to the highest total profits.

They currently get a premium price for their hardware. If the differentiating factors were to show up in popular-priced products, then the premium might vanish.
post #62 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I think a settlement would be fine. As long as it included a clause requiring Google to issue a $100 million TV and web ad campaign where they admit to having stolen the IP and refer to themselves as common criminals. Perhaps the real individuals who made the decisions to steal the concepts should appear in the ads and thus be labeled directly as the criminals they are.

You forgot the /s tag.
post #63 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I expected this comment an hour ago. "Almost verbatim" is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

No it isn't. Verbatim means word for word. Almost verbatim means almost word for word. Look it up in the future if you're unsure.
post #64 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

If it's so ovbious a cut and dry rip-off then why hasn't it been stopped and ordered to cease and desist already?

Because it is not illegal to copy general designs or ideas. There are some things, obviously, that can be patented and copyrighted, but "a touch screen based device" is not patentable, and neither is a touch based user interface. Unless they are both extremely specific in implementation.

I would assume Steve Jobs was more pissed off because a close "partner" who at the time was more interested in competing with RIM and Microsoft, took Apple's ideas and decided to change course and compete directly with Apple. These were people Steve Jobs mentored and one of which sat on Apple's board. No one would have cared if Google stuck the their original plan and released a device that was similar to the Blackberry. Instead, they saw that Apple had invented a new multi-touch based UI paradigm and decided to do the same thing.

I think it probably also irked Steve Jobs that Google unleashed a half-assed attempt and it became popular, repeating Microsoft's old tactics of just getting it on the market and worry about aesthetics later, if at all ever.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #65 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I'm not sure that either strategy makes sense.


Fighting Android in the manner thus far employed has been spectacularly ineffective.

But licensing the tech would dilute the iProduct's exclusivity and added value. There are many unique aspects to iOS and to license those, IMO and seemingly in the opinion of Apple's suits too, would not be the path to maximizing profits. My guess is that Apple has considered that option seriously, and that their projections show that it is not the path to the highest total profits.

They currently get a premium price for their hardware. If the differentiating factors were to show up in popular-priced products, then the premium might vanish.

Huh? The competition is using it anyway! What the hell do you think these lawsuits are all about. If Apple is unable to stop them then they should at least get paid for it.

I didn't say that Apple should open its labs to the competitors.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #66 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You forgot the /s tag.

Because it wasn't.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #67 of 217
thanks island hermit ... I was not aware of that feature. Will do.
post #68 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it wasn't.

My fault. It was so outlandish and ridiculous I thought it had to be.
post #69 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I expected this comment an hour ago. "Almost verbatim" is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Nearly identical
Almost verbatim
Extremely similar

These are all perfectly valid methods of describing how close they compare with each other.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #70 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You forgot the /s tag.

I don't know what that is.
post #71 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I don't know what that is.

I noticed.
post #72 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I noticed.

No really what is /s?
post #73 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

No really what is /s?

Sarcasm.
post #74 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Come on guys - step away from the Kool-aid stand...

Apple's entire original OS was "inspired" by Xerox's UI- everyone knows that. But you don't see Xerox suing Apple today.
The "widget" interface, though used by Apple, is pretty much everywhere now - even without Google.

And REALLY now, would you REALLY want Steve to spend all $45B of (then) Apple's war chest on going after Google? As successful as Steve was, the board would fire him (AGAIN) over that.

Tim's management is beginning to impress me personally - he is addressing issues Steve largely ignored (dividends, worker conditions, cop orate dividends).

Steve was a great product visionary, but I have a feeling, Cook is a better managing CEO.

The bolded part... you need to learn more about this.

The rest I can agree with for the most part.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #75 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

No really what is /s?

"/s" is commonly appended to posts to denote sarcasm. I think it's a play on the way BBCode is formatted (For example, quoting is ended by /QUOTE in brackets).

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #76 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Apple's entire original OS was "inspired" by Xerox's UI- everyone knows that. But you don't see Xerox suing Apple today..

A year before Apple went to Xerox they started working on a powerful graphics engine (later became known as QuickDraw). The idea to use that engine to create a graphical user interface was inspired by Xerox. Not the "entire OS". Not only that, Apple paid to talk with Xerox's engineers, and made it clear that they were going to make a consumer product based on those ideas. And not only that, hired a few of the original engineers from Xerox. At the time Xerox was not interested in a consumer computer, but targeted the enterprise... they wanted to create a paperless office. Furthermore, Xerox DID sue Apple.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #77 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Sarcasm.

So what, it like activates some special feature on the forum?
post #78 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

So what, it like activates some special feature on the forum?

You messing with me
post #79 of 217


So Larry, you're a liar, a plagiarist, and a complete moron to boot. Count me out, I've now lost all trust in Google's products and services, so sad for a once admired company.
post #80 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You messing with me

Yes and you fell for it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Biographer says Steve Jobs was legitimately infuriated by Android