or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012

Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012

post #1 of 131
A new report claims Apple's anticipated television set could be called "iPanel," portraying the product expected to launch later this year as "far more than a TV."

Analyst Peter Misek with Jefferies upped his price target for AAPL stock on Thursday to $800 on the prospect of a television set from Apple. His estimates now include an Apple television set, as he said he has "enough confidence" that the product will be launching in the fourth quarter of calendar 2012.

He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do.

"It is a display, gaming center, media hub, computer, home automator, etc.," Misek said in justifying the "iPanel" name. "Also, Apple would likely have difficulty getting naming rights from the UK TV network ITV."

Rumors of an Apple product named "iTV" have lingered for years, and the name was previously tied to the company's set-top box, which remains known as the Apple TV. But the name ITV is also short for Independent Television, a British network that has been on the air since 1955 which broadcasts popular shows like "Downton Abbey."

Beyond the "iPanel" name, Misek believes the Apple television will have a $1,250 average selling price and 30 percent gross margins. He also believes that Apple will sell an additional iPad or iPhone per television set as part of the company's "halo effect," in which customers frequently buy into the Apple ecosystem and purchase more of the company's products.

Misek bases his increased confidence on a forthcoming Apple television on three key points. First, he believes the newly announced $800 million agreement between Foxconn and Sharp will play a key role in manufacturing the anticipated television set.

Second, Misek said his recent checks in China have indicated that specialty components for an Apple television have begun to ship to the company's suppliers. Specifically, polarized films, filters, and IGZO display components are reportedly being shipped in "small quantities."

Finally, Misek also said that his analysis of building permits and satellite images suggests that Apple is doubling the size of its massive North Carolina data center. Apple's plans to add a 4.8-megawatt fuel cell farm at the data center were revealed this week.

The analyst expects that Apple will begin commercial production of its forthcoming television set at some point in the months of May or June. He sees between 2 million and 5 million televisions being built in time for a launch at the end of 2012.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 131
IF this Peter Misek guy works for an investment company wouldn't making the statement that Apple stock will reach $800 and tack that onto a new Apple TV or Panel rumor be a little questionable. Is he trying to influence the stock price?
post #3 of 131
I don't know what to believe, but, I think the iPanel is a more appropriate name than iTV. I suppose Apple may come up with a even better name.
post #4 of 131
bigger is better, so i'm hoping that iPanel refers to wall sized TV..

80" inch sharp oh oh yes.
post #5 of 131
Quote:
A new report claims Apple's anticipated television set could be called "iPanel," portraying the product expected to launch later this year as "far more than a TV."

If this is a wish from Misek- the correct wording would be 'should".

And quite frankly- who cares what he'd like it to be called?
post #6 of 131
How about iScreen?
post #7 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

How about iScreen?

How about iMaginary?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 131
Quote:

How about iScreen?

What's with the "i" attached to it at all? I believe it was Steve who once said no one wants to search the internet on their living room wall.
post #9 of 131
Quote:

How about iScreen?

I was thinking iVision myself.
post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do.

"It is a display, gaming center, media hub, computer, home automator, etc.," Misek said in justifying the "iPanel" name. ...

Unless it is also a multi-touch screen, "iPanel" would be a rather bad name IMO.

All the uses he lists are "screen" uses. "Panels" can traditionally be control panels as well.

"iScreen" would be more logical but "iTV" is best and it's really just a wild assumption on everyone's part that they can't use it because of that horrible British TV station IMO. I predict it will be "iTV".
post #11 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Keep dreaming.
post #12 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about iMaginary?

iCan't!
post #13 of 131
I believe GE Healthcare has a product with that name, so this could be a problem for Apple.
post #14 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipesH4 View Post

I believe GE Healthcare has a product with that name, so this could be a problem for Apple.

Well then if it recognizes your face-
iMirror?
post #15 of 131
i'm just wondering what the tagline on the invitations to the launch event will be.

"watch this"?
post #16 of 131
"He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do."

Forget calling it iPanel. I am sure some Chinese fly by night company with the help of some corrupted officials will claim Apple violated their valuable IP of already invented and registered the name.
post #17 of 131
I thought iVision too...

Just as Apple's telephone is the iPhone, their television would be the iVision!

...although the iPad isn't a telepad... that would be awesome
post #18 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Don't forget the 4k resolution at that size!
post #19 of 131
just 1250?

well.. no chance in hell. almost that *2? yes.
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"iScreen" would be more logical but "iTV" is best and it's really just a wild assumption on everyone's part that they can't use it because of that horrible British TV station IMO. I predict it will be "iTV".

I don't think it's a wild assumption. iTV has been very adamant and proactive in defending their name and posturing that they would never license it out, even to Apple. Knowing that Apple likes to have the same name World-Wide for their products, it's a TAME assumption.

iPanel works linguistically with their other products. They already have a "TV" product in Apple TV. This will have to differentiate itself entirely from what they've done before as a hobby. iPanel lets them do that.

I get what people are saying about Panels being interactive control centers. Perhaps one of Apple's inventions with this will be some sort of "Always On" display for home information. If they want it to be at the center of Home Automation, an "Always On" feature that uses minimal power will be important.
post #21 of 131
For the last time they are not making a God Damn TV.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

post #22 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Misek believes the Apple television will have a $1,250 average selling price and 30 percent gross margins.

Just how small of a screen are we talking about to hit that price and margin? Or does he expect Apple to use an ultra cheap (and therefore low quality) LCD?
post #23 of 131
The only thing I am sure of, is if such a product is real, Apple can announce it months in advance and not hurt themselves. This would also remove the potential for large scale leaks on the features.
post #24 of 131
How about the AppleTV TV?
Or, the "AppleTV with a Real TV Attached To It", or, ATVWARTVATI for short?
post #25 of 131
no tele needed
post #26 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

For the last time they are not making a God Damn TV.

You know I think you may be right and Steve's talk about cracking the TV was really all about the-

iRemote!
post #27 of 131
I've been holding off buying a TV for a while! I can't wait for Apple to do it. My old TV has RCA connectors, so I can't use AppleTV. Getting interim TV just so that I can use AppleTV seem silly!

AppleTV using today's TVs from other makers still could mean some incompatibilities, vs. the REAL APPL TV, by whatever name, where It Just Works, Holistic Approach would be all taken care of!

With my 1st iPad to be bought soon, all maxed out, that's like a TV in every room, but then

Who has time to watch all that TV ?!

My other concern is if Apple TV is Streaming, then ISPs might get into Caps, like Cell Companies, ATT + Verizon And, if the consumers are on Metered Usage at Home, rather then Unlimited, it might be a Kill Joy, where we'd constantly be looking over our shoulders about our usage!!!! That's one of the Kill Joys about iPad (3) LTE, where the Cell Providers are looking to squeeze every bit of $$$ from their Costly Data Plans!!!

How is Apple to get around all that, unless they can become a Provider? Even if they wanted to, that takes years to built such Networks! Unless they just buy Sprint and or ATT or Verizon, and grow from there? But then there is the rest of the world, plus AntiTrust issues!

Either way, I can't wait to buy this product, no matter what Apple calls it!!! I know it'll be a huge seller, and AAPL will go up much higher, so I am not laughing at $1000 Estimates! It's more of a When, not If.

P.S. DEAR APPLE, PLEASE MAKE ALL YOUR SCREENS, INCLUDING THIS TV THING - ANTIGLARE, ANTIGLARE, ANTIGLARE!!!!! I already know what iLookLike, iDon'tNeedAnotherMirror !!!

Go  Apple!!!

Go  Apple!!!

post #28 of 131
How about iRumor435
post #29 of 131
I like this better than any variation of *TV.
The more I think about it, the more I realize that we're not going to simply see an 'improved' TV-as-we've-always-known-it experience.
The entire model of how we get media has to change from the ground up.
Slapping an easier to use interface on the garbage Network/cable model is a loser from the git go.
Something like this name will be a good start.
Getting interesting.
post #30 of 131
I'm guessing, as has been noted previously, that sizing will probably start in the 37" - 40" range. At these sizes, that price point of $1250 is double what many televisions are selling for. If it's more than a tv, it's easy to see paying more for it (for me).
post #31 of 131
With the problem Apple has had with the i in Pad with lawsuits it is time for Apple to move on. There are other letters in this alphabet and there are symbols such as the Apple sign that could be used. Possibly could be correlated with "i" when spoken. That way tv would be pronounced iTV when spoken by Apple and eventually that is how the masses would come to see the symbol when added to a noun. Reports on any new Apple thingy that used the coloured would add (i) in brackets or some short explanation until becomes the 27th letter of our alphabet.

I can see a future where a valentine's card would read,
(bee hive)

(heart)
U

Tacky, but it might work. Maybe the old colour striped  could be revived for the cause.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #32 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I don't think it's a wild assumption. iTV has been very adamant and proactive in defending their name and posturing that they would never license it out, even to Apple. Knowing that Apple likes to have the same name World-Wide for their products, it's a TAME assumption....

I meant that it was a wild assumption that a TV set sold world-wide cannot be legally named the same as a TV station that exists in one particular country. This is what the court would have to decide if it ever gets that far.

Historically, you can use the same name if you are in a different business. It's arguable whether TV broadcaster and TV manufacturer are the same business. iTV would have to prove (again if it went to court), that people would be confused buying an "iTV" and thinking they bought free access to a TV station instead. Apple might be able to get around this with a simple warning label on product sold in the UK.

There is also the money factor. Apple could buy iTV (the station) tomorrow with pocket change, change the name to something else and then re-sell them in the afternoon. They would probably even lose less money in the deal than the court case would cost. iTV (despite it's bluster), would also likely accept money to change the name themselves.

My main point is just that it's far from a "done deal" or a foregone conclusion that they can't or won't call it iTV. It's debatable whether it's even a violation of any kind and even if it is, "money talks."

I mean, come on. We are talking about the largest, wealthiest company on the planet versus England's second string TV station here.
I think it's ridiculous to call the conclusion at this point.

There are thousands and thousands of TV stations around the world and most of them use some kind of letter acronym. What if when they launched the original Apple TV there was already a TV station in Afghanistan or Congo Republic called AppleTV? Would you still think it a sure thing that Apple wouldn't be allowed to use that name? Do you think anyone would be arguing that "Apple can't do that?"

I don't think so.
post #33 of 131
In the "science fiction" film "Farenheit 451" (but this is also a common idea in that sort of film), there is a huge screen in every house, which is the primary communication mean. Perhaps better known to Us audience is "A Very Private Life" from Michael Frayn, where people see no reason to come out of their house, as they find in it satisfaction of all their needs.
post #34 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

With the problem Apple has had with the i in Pad with lawsuits it is time for Apple to move on.

What problems?

Quote:
That way tv would be pronounced iTV ( or iAnything) when spoken by Apple and eventually that is how the masses would come to see the symbol when added to a noun.

That makes no sense. Do you really want Apple to pretend they're Prince?
post #35 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

With the problem Apple has had with the i in Pad with lawsuits it is time for Apple to move on. There are other letters in this alphabet and there are symbols such as the Apple sign that could be used. Possibly could be correlated with "i" when spoken. That way tv would be pronounced iTV ( or iAnything) when spoken by Apple and eventually that is how the masses would come to see the symbol when added to a noun.

I can see a future where a valentine's card would read,
(pic of a bee hive=ing honey)

(pic of a heart)
U

Tacky, but it might work.

No, it wouldn't.

iPanel may be a more "appropriate" name, but it's as bad as the name "iHub", which was once mooted as a rename for the iTunes App.

I'm sticking to calling it the Apple Cinema TV (Along the lines of the name the Apple monitors have - Apple Cinema Display) until I hear otherwise from Apple themselves.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 6 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #36 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"iScreen" would be more logical but "iTV" is best and it's really just a wild assumption on everyone's part that they can't use it because of that horrible British TV station IMO.

Why do you think ITV is horrible?
post #37 of 131
What????
It's so obvious it'll be called iBoard.
post #38 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

IF this Peter Misek guy works for an investment company wouldn't making the statement that Apple stock will reach $800 and tack that onto a new Apple TV or Panel rumor be a little questionable. Is he trying to influence the stock price?

Of course he is. Every analyst does the same thing.

that said I think this guy is actually using his head in terms of what to believe and put your name on. Because I don't think that Apple is making a TV set. I think they are doing a revamp of their cinema display in such a way that it could be used as a tv set, or a computer display. with perhaps the Apple TV bits included for those that don't have one yet. But perhaps not.

making it a dummy display reduces patents they would need to license while opening up markets. This display is something that pros might go for since many of them have been screaming about why Apple doesn't have a display that is bigger than 27 inches. They would probably love a big retina level 40 inch display. Especially if all this anti reflective coating talk is for this display (with or without any new iMacs)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #39 of 131
Whatever tv Apple decides to bring out, it will be overpriced, as per the usual Apple BS, and there will be MUCH BETTER products out there from competitors. But the fanboys will be sucked in by al the hype and show off how cool their new toy is to all of their friends.
post #40 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Just how small of a screen are we talking about to hit that price and margin? Or does he expect Apple to use an ultra cheap (and therefore low quality) LCD?

Their 27" thunderbolt display goes for $999, so maybe somewhere between 30" and 40". I myself would want minimum 40", but preferably 50-55".
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012