or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Other Peoples Opinions Thread.

The Other Peoples Opinions Thread.

post #1 of 9
A thread not so much about what we think, but what others think. Please feel free to post and comment on what others are saying.

I'll get things rolling with Mitt Romney's wife, Ann Romney, speaking on the radio about her husband who's leading the Republican party nomination race for POTUS-

"GREEN BAY, Wis. - Ann Romney defended her husband's sense of humor today during a radio interview, explaining that if people think the candidate seems too stiff at times as the host suggested, she thinks "we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out."

Ann Romney's remarks came during an interview with Baltimore radio station WBAL, during which the host asked her, "And one of the things, Ann Romney, that folks talk about with your husband, Mitt Romney, and I've seen him in casual conversation-He comes off very smooth and okay. But sometimes he comes off stiff. Do you have to fight back some criticism, like 'My husband isn't stiff, OK?'"

Laughing, Ann Romney responded, "Well, you know, I guess we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out because he is not!""
~ http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16055411
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 9
I'm sure when her husband gets the nomination she will finally be proud of her country.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

A thread not so much about what we think, but what others think. Please feel free to post and comment on what others are saying.

I'll get things rolling with Mitt Romney's wife, Ann Romney, speaking on the radio about her husband who's leading the Republican party nomination race for POTUS-

"GREEN BAY, Wis. - Ann Romney defended her husband's sense of humor today during a radio interview, explaining that if people think the candidate seems too stiff at times as the host suggested, she thinks "we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out."

Ann Romney's remarks came during an interview with Baltimore radio station WBAL, during which the host asked her, "And one of the things, Ann Romney, that folks talk about with your husband, Mitt Romney, and I've seen him in casual conversation-He comes off very smooth and okay. But sometimes he comes off stiff. Do you have to fight back some criticism, like 'My husband isn't stiff, OK?'"

Laughing, Ann Romney responded, "Well, you know, I guess we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out because he is not!""
~ http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16055411

I give her a lot of credit when she had cancer and beat it and Romney stood by her side when all this happened.I don't like him as a presidential candidate but I respect him as a husband a human being.
post #4 of 9
"A writer for the conservative National Review provoked outrage on Friday after penning a column that warned whites to "avoid large concentrations of blacks."

John Derbyshire's piece, published in Taki's Magazine, is startling from beginning to end. It takes as its inspiration the many articles about "the talk" about dealing with racism that black parents have been having with their children in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting.

"There is a talk that nonblack Americans have with their kids, too," he writes, before listing some of the advice he gave his children about black people. They include:

(10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally. \

(10b) Stay out of heavily black neighbourhoods.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot). \

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible. \

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.

(10h) Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.

(10i) If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving. "
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1409413.html
post #5 of 9
Quote:

"A writer for the conservative National Review provoked outrage on Friday after penning a column that warned whites to "avoid large concentrations of blacks."

John Derbyshire's piece, published in Taki's Magazine, is startling from beginning to end. It takes as its inspiration the many articles about "the talk" about dealing with racism that black parents have been having with their children in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting.

"There is a talk that nonblack Americans have with their kids, too," he writes, before listing some of the advice he gave his children about black people. They include:

(10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally. \

(10b) Stay out of heavily black neighbourhoods.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot). \

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible. \

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.

(10h) Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.

(10i) If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving. "
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1409413.html

A dishonest post from a dishonest website, HuffPo. The original article provides far more context and support through example stories and statistics (IQ data, etc). The list above is merely one point. While HuffPo labels the article a "racist screed," I disagree. It's not particularly racist. It doesn't disparage blacks with general negative stereotypes, call them inferior to whites, etc. Much of it is simply factual data which many of us (me included) find uncomfortable.

That doesn't mean I agree with the author. For one, the entire premise that there is a white version of "the black son talk" is, I think, wrong. Also, it's worth noting that many traditional means of testing things like intelligence have a hidden and unintentional racial/economic/gender bias, so I doubt the results are accurate. Finally, I'm not sure I understand the comment about avoiding living in a black-run municipality. While it's true that many cities run by blacks are in distress (socially, financially), I think that probably has more to do with the leadership being liberal than black.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

A dishonest post from a dishonest website, HuffPo. The original article provides far more context and support through example stories and statistics (IQ data, etc). The list above is merely one point. While HuffPo labels the article a "racist screed," I disagree. It's not particularly racist. It doesn't disparage blacks with general negative stereotypes, call them inferior to whites, etc. Much of it is simply factual data which many of us (me included) find uncomfortable.

That doesn't mean I agree with the author. For one, the entire premise that there is a white version of "the black son talk" is, I think, wrong. Also, it's worth noting that many traditional means of testing things like intelligence have a hidden and unintentional racial/economic/gender bias, so I doubt the results are accurate. Finally, I'm not sure I understand the comment about avoiding living in a black-run municipality. While it's true that many cities run by blacks are in distress (socially, financially), I think that probably has more to do with the leadership being liberal than black.

You dislike it because it is mainly a liberal newspaper in which you hate from your remarks posted here.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Offering up sensible advice is one thing, but this clearly went well beyond that. I doubt he even considered this not to be interpreted as the opinions of someone who hates blacks.

He's now been fired from The National Review-

"The conservative magazine National Review has fired John Derbyshire, a prominent columnist who provoked outrage Friday with a column published in the webzine Taki's Magazine, which warned white people to avoid "large concentrations of blacks," among other nuggets of racially tinged advice.

Derbyshire has a history of controversy when it comes to race he even proclaimed himself a racist, though a "tolerant" one, in a 2003 interview but he had managed to avoid any real firestorms."
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._front_top_art
post #8 of 9
Quote:

Offering up sensible advice is one thing, but this clearly went well beyond that. I doubt he even considered this not to be interpreted as the opinions of someone who hates blacks.

He's now been fired from The National Review-

"The conservative magazine National Review has fired John Derbyshire, a prominent columnist who provoked outrage Friday with a column published in the webzine Taki's Magazine, which warned white people to avoid "large concentrations of blacks," among other nuggets of racially tinged advice.

Derbyshire has a history of controversy when it comes to race he even proclaimed himself a racist, though a "tolerant" one, in a 2003 interview but he had managed to avoid any real firestorms."
~ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._front_top_art

Yeah, I can see them doing that. They kind of had too. I'm certainly not saying those are things you can expect to write or say and "get away" with. But I also don't know that they are truly "racist" things, either.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

You dislike it because it is mainly a liberal newspaper in which you hate from your remarks posted here.

I don't need you to tell my why I "dislike" something. In fact, I didn't even write I dislike the website. Oh, and it's not a "paper." Welcome to 2012.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Other Peoples Opinions Thread.