or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel sinks 'hundreds of millions' of dollars into Ultrabook ad campaign

Intel sinks 'hundreds of millions' of dollars into Ultrabook ad campaign - Page 3

post #81 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

IMO, Intel is pushing this not so much for consumers to think of Intel as much as pushing a product category that can compete with tablets. I think Intel fears that most sales in the consumer market are going to be thin, light laptops like the Air or tablets like the iPad. Due to that, Intel has to inject some money and excitement for the other OEMs to offer these ultrabooks (hopefully at lower prices) so that consumers continue to purchase kit that has Intel chips in them and not ARM.

Hehe I guess everyone else figured it out too... yep, this is about tablets, tablets, tablets. Intel figures that laptops need to be way sexier to stand a chance to compete with tablets. Intel probably also honestly believes that a laptop is "better" than a tablet - that an iPad is a sort of a mickey mouse PC. That line of thinking is prevalent with techies that don't have iPads, and must be wide-spread in any PC centric company too. They don't know they're wrong. Yet.

Why doesn't Intel make a processor that can compete with ARM?

Personally I think Intel should start fabbing ARM chips until they do - with their process technology and know-how they could probably beat the likes of NVidia, Samsung, and whoever else is currently making ARM chips, no?
post #82 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Two things to consider:
1) Apple is outpacing the other OEMs while the sales growth for computers is declining YoY. That's great, but I'm pretty sure Intel doesn't want to rely on Apple solely for growth. Intel is banking on taking a popular design and handing it over to the other OEMs using windows to ramp up overall computer sales.

But again, why go out of your way to make it an Air vs. Ultrabook thing? In effect they're saying "Don't buy this machine with our chips in it, buy these ones over here!"

I would think that growing Air sales plus increased Ultrabook sales would be what Intel wanted. Unless they know something we don't, talking this way just makes them seem pointlessly dickish.

Quote:
2) The iPad isn't the only ARM worry Intel has. Windows will be releasing an ARM version of Windows 8 this year.

Yeah, tablets are going to be a problem.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #83 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But again, why go out of your way to make it an Air vs. Ultrabook thing? In effect they're saying "Don't buy this machine with our chips in it, buy these ones over here!"

I would think that growing Air sales plus increased Ultrabook sales would be what Intel wanted. Unless they know something we don't, talking this way just makes them seem pointlessly dickish.

Lesser of two evils. Apple is a drop in the bucket compared to all the PC OEMs combined. Apple is an important drop but losing the bulk of their consumer market because they failed to get customers interested in higher quality notebooks is worse. Next year I expect to see budget Cortex-A15-based PCs that will run Win8 plenty fast and be more profitable for the PC vendors.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #84 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

“There’s a lot of people talking about the ‘post-PC era,’ or the end of the PC,” says Kevin Sellers, Intel’s vice president of sales and marketing and director of advertising and digital marketing. “We don’t view it that way.”

Of course you don't since you have no offering for the tablet space - as defined by the iPad.

Sounds like the whole "Pay no attention to that product - what you really want is a 7" screen. There better!" arguments with the other tablet guys....

And the whole "Inspired by Intel" thing - what was Apple? Time traveling? Or do they not just exist in Intel's world since Apple doesn't do co-branding with them the same as just about every other PC manufacturer?
post #85 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

PC still uses more than apple does. 1 vendor vs 100's.

For now: http://gigaom.com/apple/macs-still-g...ket-stagnates/

Quote:
Dont be dumb

Indeed...
post #86 of 100
Quote:

which are inspired by Sony

Really? Care to point to a Sony that has the same mix of form factor (size, width and weight) as well as battery life?

There are numerous Sony models that are close to some of the MacBook Air specifications, but not one Sony model (except for post-Air models) that come close. And the weight/battery life thing seems to be what really kills the PC guys since they like a bad crack habit they just can't resist stuffing extra crap into them...
post #87 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They are all using the same chips from what i know, it is just that they know when Apple is going to release their products since they send Apple chips.

The first MacBook Air had a CPU that only Apple used - it had a lower profile housing and some other tweaks. Whether Apple had an exclusive to it, or they were the only users of it because it had a slightly higher per-unit cost that others did want to pay is unknown.

Now that the MacBook Air is an established concept (remember how it was floated as the next big Apple flop when it was first released?) Intel probably sees the value in producing chips with similar characteristics on a mass production basis. Especially since their shamelessly trying to copy the MBA

Quote:
Plus, Apple has different displays.

Meh - PC guys could use 'em if they wanted to. It would probably make their offerings more expensive than Apple's and blow the whole "Apple Tax" meme that the industry has been hiding behind for the past decade or so...

It's certainly fun seeing Apple leapfrog the industry, invent new categories and single-handedly take over the volume/economies of scale value proposition before their competitors even knew what happened thus sucking the oxygen out of the room and putting them on the other side of the high priced spectrum...

Apple's got their A game up to speed - the last 10 years of preparation are showing and the chickens are coming home to roost!
post #88 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well that was kinda Apple's fault with the contract agreement.

Yup, Scully was behind it and he admits now how they screwed up at the time.

Please note: Scully hasn't been at Apple for a long, long time. T

It's a totally different Apple and totally different landscape now. Any comparisons to iOS and Mac v. Windows are fraught with peril.
post #89 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

For now: http://gigaom.com/apple/macs-still-g...ket-stagnates/

That's just measuring PC marketshare by unit numbers. If we exclude AMD then we see Apple move up since they only use Intel and the other large vendors use AMD.

Then if we don't use unit numbers but use the price Intel charges per CPU then we have Apple move up considerably higher, perhaps even at the top of the per vendor list for the consumer market. Remember that netbooks are counted as PCs in that list and they use a $30-ish Atom CPU while Apple uses CPUs that cost hundreds across the board. I think Apple's cheapest processor in the 2.3GHz Core i5 (2410M) in the Mac mini.

post #90 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Really? Care to point to a Sony that has the same mix of form factor (size, width and weight) as well as battery life?

There are numerous Sony models that are close to some of the MacBook Air specifications, but not one Sony model (except for post-Air models) that come close. And the weight/battery life thing seems to be what really kills the PC guys since they like a bad crack habit they just can't resist stuffing extra crap into them...

Watch out, he might pull out the Sony Vaio that cost $2000+ and came with a paltry ARM CPU as proof that Sony is great with battery life and Apple sucks, as usual.

post #91 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

It is quite strange that Intel is putting so much energy/money behind this, i mean, they build processors, just processors. Wouldn't they be happy regardless of what they end up in?

Because every iPad, Android or ARM based Win 8 device that lands in someone's hand instead of a traditional Intel powered PC is a lost sale. And for quite a few people, such devices will more than likely be more than sufficient to be their primary device instead of augmenting a traditional Windows or OSX machine.

It's obvious the market is moving to mobile computing, and so far ARM is standing in the doorway to the future staring Intel down.

Intel isn't in danger of completely dying out, but just ask RIM how it feels to go from driving a market to being a has-been in danger of extinction?

Intel is feeling the heat - as they should be!
post #92 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Still, I like it that they make these ads.

What's sad is they have to in the first place. Where's the Apple equivalent in the PC space that can carry Intel's water for them?
post #93 of 100
Quote:

Its really easy to understand. Ultrabook is a category type powered by Intel. Intel wants to dominate this category before amd can release a suitable chip to compete

AMD Thinbook: http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickm...book-strategy/

Seems to be an awful lot of effort to chase a "niche" market
post #94 of 100
Quote:

By the third generation (late 2013 to early 2014) you will see them use their own integrated graphics. 2014 is when Intel start to dominate.

Is there ever going to be a time when Apple competitors aren't going to have to use the "But wait, our next version will kick your ass"?

Hmm?

Quote:
Qualcomm is more of an intel competitor than arm and PowerVR.

Holy shit - what color is the sky in your planet? Qualcomm? What general purpose CPU experience do they have again? I must have missed that....
post #95 of 100
Quote:

What I don't quite get is going out their way to claim that such machines will beat Apple at their own game and surpass the Air. What is the point of that?

You answered it yourself...

Quote:
Clearly it's the iPad that has them spooked

I'd say they are a bit more than spooked (and rightly so).

Quote:
But if it's not, and as I've said, they better be pretty damn confident that they have the correct solution for low power devices going forward

They don't have a choice - they are out of time. The iPad is showing large segments of users - especially non-technical users - that you don't need a full blown PC (powered by Intel) after all. You can surf the web, send email, manage pictures and talk on FaceBook with an iPad just fine. Indeed, due to the portable nature (size, weight and no keyboard), intimate feel of touch and excellent battery life, being tethered to a desk or table is no longer necessary either!
post #96 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

Long story short: The Ultrabook campaign is aimed squarely at tablets. And by tablets, I mean iPads.

Spot on.
post #97 of 100
Quote:

Never give your competitor free press. The best Intel can do is ignore the iPad - they certainly don't want to acknowledge it.
post #98 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Watch out, he might pull out the Sony Vaio that cost $2000+ and came with a paltry ARM CPU as proof that Sony is great with battery life and Apple sucks, as usual.

He can try - the only person he will be fooling is himself
post #99 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's just measuring PC marketshare by unit numbers.

Sure, but it already shows a disturbing trend - even without you going and making it that much worse

If people want to understand Intel's haste with the whole Ultrabook thing, here ya go. Unlike RIM, Intel appears to be very aware of their weakness and is at least attempting to shore their position up NOW - even if it is just marketing (ironic given that charge is usually leveled at Apple).

I wonder if the product manager that no doubt wrote the original MBA CPU off as a one-off instead of a critically important new strategic direction is still doing anything of significance...
post #100 of 100
They could make them out of gold ingots and you couldn't give me one.
How many chips oes Intel have to sell and break even?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel sinks 'hundreds of millions' of dollars into Ultrabook ad campaign