or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Apple's share price closed today above $633, making the company's shares now slightly more expensive than Google's. Apple's market cap is now over $590 billion, however, nearly three times larger than Google's.

While the two competing and collaborating tech companies now have nearly identical stock prices, Apple's has appreciated 160 percent over the last two years, compared to the roughly12 percent gain Google has realized over the same period.

Apple's market cap is now larger than the combined valuations of Google, HP, Dell, RIM, Microsoft, Nokia, AMD and Motorola Mobility, with a couple billion dollars to spare.

Five years ago, Apple's market cap was just $75.8 billion, illustrating the massive effect iPhone and other iOS devices have had on building the company's revenues, earnings and therefore market valuation.









[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 32
Roughly Drafted has become my rare delicacy (especially since posts have come to a halt).
I loved your video posts.
Miss you and hope you get to post on your blog sooner rather than later.
post #3 of 32
Google's stock has obviously flat lined with a Rocky Road of ups and downs. Apple's Beta is 1 and Google is 1.19. Let's see what else. Google said recently they make more revenue from ad clicks from iOS devices than they do from Android devices. That's kind of strange don't cha think?
post #4 of 32
As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.

The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).

While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.

My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).

One of the 3 people argued with me saying "Why would I buy Apple stock for $10 a share when I can buy 10 shares of (some Chinese bean stock - seriously) at only $1 a share and have 10x more shares?!"

"I'm not responsible for other people's lack of foresight, much less their ignorance." - ME, 2001
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.

The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).

While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.

My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).

thats almost insider trading... but not quite there...
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit5000 View Post

thats almost insider trading... but not quite there...

Nope.

I didn't KNOW anything.

I only BELIEVED in Steve Jobs, Apple, and their business model/philosophy.

I UNDERSTOOD then why they would prevail as they have now, and FELT that windows computer manufacturers were all doomed to a mass, collective failure because they all shared the same common weak link - windows, and that is why I left Xerox as a network administrator and went to Apple to become a first generation Business Specialist in the second half of 2002.

I've always known from my personal experience in the computer industry that: no windows = no all too common and easily preventable windows problems that windows users had/are/will complained/complain about for the past (more than a) decade and send them running to the competition: Mac.

...and don't even start with the "b-b-but whadabout LINUX?" crap.
post #7 of 32
just when you think article quality cannot get any worse, DED hits one out of the field.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #8 of 32
Wow, I'm glad that I don't trade or own any Google stock. Look at their chart. It looks like a complete mess, up, down, sideways, back down again, etc.

Apple's chart is nice and neat, it looks like a nice, almost smooth curve, rising ever higher and higher.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post


My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).

That's interesting. So today, an employee would have to pay around 500 for one share of AAPL if they still have that deal in place?

Can they turn around and sell it right away? That seems like a real quick way to profit. Is there a limit on the shares they can purchase?
post #10 of 32
sure, it looks good... but this is really meaningless.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's interesting. So today, an employee would have to pay around 500 for one share of AAPL if they still have that deal in place?

Can they turn around and sell it right away? That seems like a real quick way to profit. Is there a limit on the shares they can purchase?

I know for my company, you have to take it out of your paycheck to pay for stock and you have to keep it for 6 months. I'm sure it's similar for Apple and other companies. They aren't going to allow you to invest "outside" money at the discounted share price.
post #12 of 32
Steve Ballmer said something to the effect of, "iPhone market share is a rounding error and I like our strategy a lot." I rest my case. It's rather amazing that Apple's iPhone business is worth more than all of Microsoft.
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Steve Ballmer said something to the effect of, "iPhone market share is a rounding error and I like our strategy a lot." I rest my case. It's rather amazing that Apple's iPhone business is worth more than all of Microsoft.

Awesome! If only more people appreciated how amazing this is, especially if it was predicted at the launch of the first iPhone. Everyone would have laughed in your face, including me.
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, I'm glad that I don't trade or own any Google stock. Look at their chart. It looks like a complete mess, up, down, sideways, back down again, etc.

Kind of like how Apple was for most of its life
post #15 of 32
keep buying. the stock is still undervalued - if you buy under $666/share and it hits $1000/share in 12 months that's an insane 50% annual ROI. [and the value of my shares will continue to climb. WHEEEEE!]
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion

C'mon people. Does everything between Apple and Google have to be a competition?
(Yes, it does )

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google's stock has obviously flat lined with a Rocky Road of ups and downs. Apple's Beta is 1 and Google is 1.19. Let's see what else. Google said recently they make more revenue from ad clicks from iOS devices than they do from Android devices. That's kind of strange don't cha think?

That's the risk of making advertising your business model, instead of highly desirable hardware and software.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

sure, it looks good... but this is really meaningless.

Apparently there are whole bunch of stupid people who think because Google's stock price is/was higher than Apple's that meant Google is/was winning. One of those stupid people is the author of this article apparently.
post #19 of 32
I understand the point the story is making, but Apple shares remain far less expensive than Google shares...
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Kind of like how Apple was for most of its life

If by "Kind of like how Apple was for most of it's life" you mean "until early 2003 up until the iTunes Store was introduced", then you're correct.

AAPL has had a pretty steady upward trajectory for the past 9 years.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I understand the point the story is making, but Apple shares remain far less expensive than Google shares...

I'd say Apple's shares are more valuable than Google's.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

just when you think article quality cannot get any worse, DED hits one out of the field.

followed by five sycophantic comments.

+1
post #23 of 32
Why does this author think this is news???

Tomorrow AAPL could do a 2 for 1 stock split and their stick price would then be $316 and change per share.. Google would then be in the lead??? This article is ludicrous.

590 B in market cap and redicioulous profits each quarter. That's what matters. Not some arbitrary stock price with no comparison to outstanding shares.
post #24 of 32
i'm not sure which i find more titillating: this, uhm article; the fact that appl's close today was 634.34 and that the code of federal regulations, title 32, subtitle a, chapter v, subchapter 1, part 634, subpart d, section 634.34 is regarding blood alcohol concentration standards (which ded was clearly in violation of); or that saturday, october 31, 2009, was the last time that lake mohave's elevation was 634.34 feet above sea level. quite the conundrum. quite.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'm not sure which i find more titillating: this, uhm article; the fact that appl's close today was 634.34 and that the code of federal regulations, title 32, subtitle a, chapter v, subchapter 1, part 634, subpart d, section 634.34 is regarding blood alcohol concentration standards (which ded was clearly in violation of); or that saturday, october 31, 2009, was the last time that lake mohave's elevation was 634.34 feet above sea level. quite the conundrum. quite.

The stock got up to $634.34 in after hours trading. The article correctly states that the close price was $633.68.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'm not sure which i find more titillating: this, uhm article; the fact that appl's close today was 634.34 and that the code of federal regulations, title 32, subtitle a, chapter v, subchapter 1, part 634, subpart d, section 634.34 is regarding blood alcohol concentration standards (which ded was clearly in violation of); or that saturday, october 31, 2009, was the last time that lake mohave's elevation was 634.34 feet above sea level. quite the conundrum. quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

The stock got up to $634.34 in after hours trading. The article correctly states that the close price was $633.68.

i stand corrected. and all my research gone to waste. the horror.
post #27 of 32
I guess what I get out from this is if I had bought an equal about of shares of Google and Apple a year ago, the Apple shares would be worth a whole lot more. Consider 100 shares of each.
4/06/2011
Google closed at 474.18 or $47418 Today? $63232 or $15,814 increase in value
Apple closed at 338.04 or $33804 Today? $63368 or $29,564 increase in value

And my Apple portfolio is now worth more than my Google portfolio.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

As an Apple employee at the time, I told 3 people to buy AAPL on Thursday April 24th of 2003, 4 days before the late Steve Jobs introduced the iTunes store on Monday April 28th 2003.

The stock had dipped down to under $13 a share at that time because of rumors/fears that SJ was going to take Apple into the movie industry, thus deviating from it's core computer and technology product business model, because of his being the CEO of Pixar and reports of him meeting with exec's at Universal/Viacom as well as other MOVIE studios previously (Warner Bros., Sony, etc.).

While he WAS meeting with those people at those companies, it was to negotiate for the MUSIC content at that time, NOT the MOVIE content, much less to get into PRODUCING movie content.

My Apple ESP (Employee Stock Purchase) price at that time was just over $10 (20% discount from market value which again, was under $13).

One of the 3 people argued with me saying "Why would I buy Apple stock for $10 a share when I can buy 10 shares of (some Chinese bean stock - seriously) at only $1 a share and have 10x more shares?!"

"I'm not responsible for other people's lack of foresight, much less their ignorance." - ME, 2001

For the person arguing that this is close to insider trading, it's not.

For it to be insider trading:
1. The person would have to have access to non-public information. Since a lot of people knew about Jobs' meeting with those executives, it wasn't non-public. Similarly, if the meetings took place in a public location, then by definition simple knowledge of the meeting would not be non-public.
2. The information would have to be material. There are very few scenarios where simply knowing that two people met would be material. Simply knowing that Jobs met with Sony tells you nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I guess what I get out from this is if I had bought an equal about of shares of Google and Apple a year ago, the Apple shares would be worth a whole lot more. Consider 100 shares of each.
4/06/2011
Google closed at 474.18 or $47418 Today? $63232 or $15,814 increase in value
Apple closed at 338.04 or $33804 Today? $63368 or $29,564 increase in value

And my Apple portfolio is now worth more than my Google portfolio.

That's really the key. Or, more importantly, a prediction of future gains or losses. Apple is on a very strong growth curve with modest P/E ratios. Google's P/E ratios are higher and growth rates are substantially less. Furthermore, there are plenty of potential problems in Google's future:
- Revenues from Android phones are very disappointing
- Falling ad prices
- Samsung getting into mobile advertising
- Fragmentation of Android continues (and may even be accelerating)
- Acquisition of Motorola may turn out to be an albatross
- Motorola acquisition does not appear to protect them from patent problems as they had hoped.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #29 of 32
does anyone short this stock...
post #30 of 32
In other news, one gallon of milk now costs more than one almond!

That statement is EXACTLY COMPARABLE to "AAPL stock price now exceeds GOOG stock price". Hell, what about Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A)? Will AAPL not be King of Wall Street until it's per-share price breaks the $120,000 mark??

Stupidest article ever, I think.
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

In other news, one gallon of milk now costs more than one almond!

That statement is EXACTLY COMPARABLE to "AAPL stock price now exceeds GOOG stock price". Hell, what about Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A)? Will AAPL not be King of Wall Street until it's per-share price breaks the $120,000 mark??

Stupidest article ever, I think.

Dude, all you Apple haters and geeks and losers are pathetic...

This is a great article that I see is a milestone because this date is one of my favorites. I find this date comparable to when Steve Jobs sent the company an email about when Apple surpassed dells stock-price.

Apple deserves and has earned the stock price they have the best of the best of the best products on the market. Apple stock price is not overvalued like Google. Especially when you take into consideration revenue and profit.

So stop hating and saying dumb shit and say something positive for a change.
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I know for my company, you have to take it out of your paycheck to pay for stock and you have to keep it for 6 months. I'm sure it's similar for Apple and other companies. They aren't going to allow you to invest "outside" money at the discounted share price.

Excellent points. Different companies have different rules on this. And there are also IRS and SEC rules governing ESP plans - which I cannot quote just now. At one past company, the maximum was related to your annual salary, and a loan could be taken out to purchase the shares (repaid through payroll deductions). But the loan could be paid off in full, rather than taken out of your check. But true, trading these sorts of positions is strictly controlled/forbidden. If you try to get cute with them, the tax implications can be a nightmare.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

For the person arguing that this is close to insider trading, it's not.

For it to be insider trading:
1. The person would have to have access to non-public information. Since a lot of people knew about Jobs' meeting with those executives, it wasn't non-public. Similarly, if the meetings took place in a public location, then by definition simple knowledge of the meeting would not be non-public.
2. The information would have to be material. There are very few scenarios where simply knowing that two people met would be material. Simply knowing that Jobs met with Sony tells you nothing.




That's really the key. Or, more importantly, a prediction of future gains or losses. Apple is on a very strong growth curve with modest P/E ratios. Google's P/E ratios are higher and growth rates are substantially less. Furthermore, there are plenty of potential problems in Google's future:
- Revenues from Android phones are very disappointing
- Falling ad prices
- Samsung getting into mobile advertising
- Fragmentation of Android continues (and may even be accelerating)
- Acquisition of Motorola may turn out to be an albatross
- Motorola acquisition does not appear to protect them from patent problems as they had hoped.

Excellent post! We need a :clapping: smilie on here. At least a :thumbsup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

does anyone short this stock...

I'm not that brave... and I don't drink massive quantities of alcohol before I open Trade Station. So, not me. But sure, there are people who short AAPL. The recent short interest on AAPL stood at 9.87 million shares, out of a float of 931.84 million. The recent short interest on GOOG was 3.75 million shares, out of a float of 251.59 million. And for MSFT, the figure was 61.56 million, out of a float of 7.56 billion shares. For poor old RIMM, it was 60.32 million shares, out of a float of 495.53 million shares. But no matter how things look, there will always be someone willing to make a contrary bet.

At some point, I'm sure AAPL will consolidate these fast & furious gains. But shorting it is like trying to catch a burning coal. At most, I might try an options strategy weighted toward being long the put side. But that's as far as I would take being an AAPL bear these days. They keep doing the right things over & over & over. Even if I wasn't an Apple fan, I just couldn't see betting against that sort of execution anytime soon.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple share price exceeds Google's as its market cap reaches $590 billion