or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012

post #1 of 226
Thread Starter 
Samsung released an estimate for its first quarter 2012 earnings on Friday, revealing record profit of $5.1 billion from $39.8 billion in sales.

The South Korean electronics maker that domestic disclosure regulations would not allow it to provide range estimates for earnings, so it provided the median of its ranges, which came to 5.8 trillion won ($5.1 billion) for operating profit and 45 trillion won ($39.8 billion).

Based on Korean International Financial Reporting Standards, the sales range was from 44 to 46 trillion won and the operating profit range was from 5.6 to 6.0 trillion won. A consensus forecast by Thomson Reuters had estimated 5 trillion won in operating profit on projected shipments of 44 million smartphones.

According to the estimates, Samsung's first quarter 2012 profit jumped up almost 100 percent year over year, while revenue increased by 20 percent.

Hana Daetoo analyst Lee Ka-keun told Reuters that sales of the Galaxy Note tablet/phone hybrid had helped Samsung set the new record.

"Higher-than-expected shipments of the Galaxy Note seem to have given an upside to earnings," said Lee. "Note sales will increase further in the second quarter, and handset profit will grow despite a rise in marketing costs related to the London Olympics."

Some analysts expect Samsung's smartphone business to have brought in roughly two thirds of the company's profits last quarter.

Looking ahead, the company is expected to enter even fiercer competition with Apple when it releases an update to its Galaxy S handset.

"Samsung and Apple are expected to launch the new Galaxy S and iPhone in the second quarter, respectively, and they will engage in a full-fledged war," said Lee.

Though some reports have claimed Apple could release its 2012 iPhone as early as June, the majority of sources believe it is more likely to arrive in the fall.

Apple and Samsung have traded spots at the top of the list of global smartphone makers in recent quarters. In the third quarter of 2011, Samsung was estimated to have beat out Apple in terms of smartphone shipment volume, but release of the iPhone 4S put Apple back on top in the fourth quarter.

Competition between the two companies has extended into the courtroom. Apple and Samsung are both actively engaged in multiple legal complaints against each other across numerous countries. Recent developments in the patent battle include favorable term definitions for Apple in its original U.S. lawsuit against Samsung and the sending of source code from Qualcomm and Intel to lawyers in Australia for use in Apple's defense against infringement claims from Samsung.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 226
Lol at Google taking huge losses on Android so they can gift profits to Samsung.
post #3 of 226
Boycott Samsung. Now who's with me?
post #4 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

Boycott Samsung. Now who's with me?

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.
post #5 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone
post #6 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone

Windows phones don't use Samsung components?

Interesting....

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-S...eardown/4469/2

Quote:
Big players on the front of the lower motherboard include:
Qualcomm RTR6285 multi-band UMTS/EGPRS transceiver with integrated GPS
Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 1GHz RISC microprocessor with embedded DSP.
Samsung KA100O015E-BJTT 512 MB NAND Flash + 512 MB SDRAM chip
Like most smartphones, the Surround utilizes dual microphones to cancel background noise during phone conversations. The lower microphone can be seen near the Micro-USB port.
The chips are identical to those found inside the Nexus One.

First example of a non-Samsung Windows phone using A Samsung component
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #7 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone

Components Apple paid for, not components they stole.

PS: Samsung phones are filled with components they don't make.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #8 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Windows phones don't use Samsung components?

Interesting....

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-S...eardown/4469/2

First example of a non-Samsung Windows phone using a Samsung component

Ah, the latest catch-cry of the droid army: Apple uses Samsung components, so every Apple device is actually a Samsung device.

Nice leap of logic boys.

If the sand to make Apple's LCD screens also came from Africa, should Apple add a 'Made in Africa' stamp to the back of their devices as well?

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #9 of 226
That's a lot of revenue for goods that were only shipped
post #10 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

That's a lot of revenue for goods that were only shipped

That's also going to be an awful lot of landfill in a years time.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #11 of 226
You mean they don't know exactly how much they made?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #12 of 226
My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not.

Samsung makes money by fooling the consumer. Buy this new shiny toy that's better because of big screen, and Super AMOLED screen, etc. Not telling you that your Christmas gift comes with no software updates in the future. That's not customer building, that's going for fast and easy profits.
post #13 of 226
Samsung margin: abount 10%.
Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!
post #14 of 226
That's your opinion.

The alternatives are junk and it shows in the end product.

Samsung's R&D also already covered by Apple, so Samsung can absorb zero percent margin as they deservingly should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.
Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #15 of 226
When do they release the actual figures? Estimates don't mean much.
post #16 of 226
Count me in. Samsung makes me sick. I hope the company dies a slow and painful death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #17 of 226
>>>chokes and vomits<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Buy windows phone
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #18 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

Boycott Samsung. Now who's with me?

No one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

I am.

Copying Apple really pays off.

No, you're not. Stop lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Count me in. Samsung makes me sick. I hope the company dies a slow and painful death.

Count you out.

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.
post #19 of 226
Corporations really don't care. They just want your money.
post #20 of 226
From my end yes, I can. Apple may take longer to remove the offending component in its products, but as far as I am concerned, I will not be buying a Galaxy tab or any other product with Samsung's logo in it's face. This, I can do, at least for now.

For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

Also, please do not make decisions for other people. It's rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Count you out.

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #21 of 226
Most of these profits come from the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Note. I don't see how these are iPhone copies.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
post #22 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post


For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

It's funny, in the realm outside of Apple centrism, industry leaders such as the Mobile World Congress seem to think otherwise. They voted the Galaxy S2 Best Smartphone and Samsung the Best Manufacturer, all in the year of copygate. It must sicken you to know that Apple relies on Samsung for a lot of its most critical components. For fb's like you, I hope change will come soon.
post #23 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Most of these profits come from the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Note. I don't see how these are iPhone copies.

The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year or two. It will slow down once they see Samsung doesn't care.
post #24 of 226
We both know that's wishful thinking, but thanks anyway stelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune View Post

For fb's like you, I hope change will come soon.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #25 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

My brother's Samsung Android phone constantly freezes, or slows to a halt. Can't fix the problem. Also never gets any updates from Samsung. You buy cheap Samsung phones, you only get the Android OS that's on it without any updates. That's . At least with Apple you get 3 years support. The new iOS won't always run fast, but at least there's software updates. If you buy Android, you can only hope for support, and sometimes you get an update, but mostly not.

Samsung makes money by fooling the consumer. Buy this new shiny toy that's better because of big screen, and Super AMOLED screen, etc. Not telling you that your Christmas gift comes with no software updates in the future. That's not customer building, that's going for fast and easy profits.

One second you are abusing Samsung, next it is Android, which one do you have the issue with.

Google provides updates to their applications quite often, it is Samsungs problem in providing the updates to Android itself
post #26 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year or two. It will slow down once they see Samsung doesn't care.

I remember hearing this back when I bought my Galaxy S in June 2010. 21 months later, and my phone still gets software updates. I am fully aware that Apple still provides better and longer support, but that's not what I care for the most. I just prefer some Android phones to the iPhone, just like I prefer my iPad to Android tablets.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
Reply
post #27 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

From my end yes, I can. Apple may take longer to remove the offending component in its products, but as far as I am concerned, I will not be buying a Galaxy tab or any other product with Samsung's logo in it's face. This, I can do, at least for now.

For now, I have to be [among other users who feel the same] content that this company is known for its lack of imagination and unethical practices. Believe it or not, reputation or public image is something companies do care about [some more than others].

Also, please do not make decisions for other people. It's rude.

I am not making decisions for you. You're making it yourself. Buying or using an iPhone or iPad goes against boycotting Samsung. I'm helping you from becoming a hypocrite.

As for unethical practices, Apple has been there, done that too. Are you going to boycott their products too? Oh wait, we already know the answer.
post #28 of 226
All this brouhaha really comes down to having choice. It is good that you are satisfied with your Galaxy S (no sarcasm intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

I remember hearing this back when I bought my Galaxy S in June 2010. 21 months later, and my phone still gets software updates. I am fully aware that Apple still provides better and longer support, but that's not what I care for the most. I just prefer some Android phones to the iPhone, just like I prefer my iPad to Android tablets.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #29 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

The copying is not the largest problem. The problem is how Samsung treats customers. Samsung Android products are not longterm investments, as they don't provide system updates down the road. These are all one-off products with practically no support. Yeah, Android fans will point at the openness and say you can always hack, but normal consumers know nothing about it. Openness is not a feature, support to the normal consumer is. See how many people like Samsung in a year or two. It will slow down once they see Samsung doesn't care.

WTF? This is Samsung's fault alone? This is because they don't care about their customers? You should learn the facts first. It will prevent you from being so wrong.
post #30 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

WTF? This is Samsung's fault alone? This is because they don't care about their customers? You should learn the facts first. It will prevent you from being so wrong.

I don't know what you are saying, please explain. It's gibberish to me. \

Many Samsung phones don't get updates, same for Motorola etc. Only certain Galaxy models get true support. But it's always a guessing game. So this is not Samsung's fault that many of their phones get no support? Okay. So them not giving support is because they care. Okay.

Hey, I'm all for choice and don't care which OS is "superior". Android is fine as an OS, but the companies that use Android have little incentive to craft a true software platform that they support longterm. In the end, all they care about is the hardware; that's the money for them (for Apple customer loyalty is the money). Plain Android is better then what these hardware manufacturers give the consumers. Yes, that's a bit Google's fault, so let's blame them then.
post #31 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Open your iPad our iPhone. Contains Samsung chips. Buy windows phone

Apple paid Samsung to produce the components. Samsung is just one of the slaves that happened to produce many of iPhone's components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.
Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

As Samsung produces most of the component, and sell higher than Apple, don't you think Samsung margin on smart phone is bigger?
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #32 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Samsung margin: abount 10%.
Apple margin: about 50%.

Apple products are great, but OVERPRICED!!!

"The sweetness of low price never makes up for the bitterness of low quality" ~ Anon
post #33 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

"The sweetness of low price never makes up for the bitterness of low quality" ~ Anon

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin
post #34 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steal, copy, make ... whatever. Call Samsung what you want. There is no way you can boycott this company. No way.

Of course there is, just don't buy Samdung consumer products. How hard is that? Most, if not all of their consumer products are rip offs of something else on the market. They were originally a component supplier that jumped into the consumer electronics and appliance markets by making me too products.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #35 of 226
i love samsung products, i have their tv & bluray player, they make great panels, apple uses them, they cant come up with ideas to save themselves tho
i woundnt get a phone off them, people on here are freakin weird, hating on a company, they are a big company that isnt just in the phone/tablet market & everything else they do is pretty damn good, they should leave phones tablets & laptops for apple tho
post #36 of 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

i love samsung products, i have their tv & bluray player, they make great panels, apple uses them, they cant come up with ideas to save themselves tho
i woundnt get a phone off them, people on here are freakin weird, hating on a company, they are a big company that isnt just in the phone/tablet market & everything else they do is pretty damn good, they should leave phones tablets & laptops for apple tho

Also have Samsung washing machine. Seems good to me. I have nothing against Samsung. I have nothing against Android. It's just this mismatch between the Google developed OS, and what these hardware manufacturers get to consumers, causing strain on support updates. I hope this doesn't happen to Windows Phone. I hope Windows Phone just gets direct support from Microsoft, whatever hardware manufacturer you buy from.
post #37 of 226
So much for no one making money with android

Just a matter of time before it takes over completely - The dumbing down of the apple community with all the iOS kids is all we going to end up with
post #38 of 226
Literal minds don't understand. To them, it has to be 100% or it means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Of course there is, just don't buy Samdung consumer products. How hard is that? Most, if not all of their consumer products are rip offs of something else on the market. They were originally a component supplier that jumped into the consumer electronics and appliance markets by making me too products.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #39 of 226
Apple is planning to shovel more money to Samsung than last year to buy their components.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

When you love your iPad emphatically and unequivocally but say you hate Samsung components without seeing the contradiction in those two visceral feelings, then you are _____ed.
post #40 of 226
If you're pro android, what do you care? This is good for your cause, no? Your smiley face should be laughing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

So much for no one making money with android

Just a matter of time before it takes over completely - The dumbing down of the apple community with all the iOS kids is all we going to end up with
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung announces estimated $40B in revenue, $5B in profit for Q1 2012