or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Some owners of Apple's new iPad have begun reporting connectivity issues with the LTE-capable model, stating that the device loses a 3G connection and won't reconnect without a hard reset.

Users with the issue have over the last week in a growing thread at the Apple Support Communities website. Most of the users who have posted appear to be international users attempting to connect to 3G networks, rather than the 4G LTE speeds available in the U.S.

User "NewForce" suggested that the issue lies either in iOS 5.1 or the Qualcomm chipset Apple has utilized in the new iPad. They said they tried a number of remedies, including resetting settings and replacing the SIM card, but nothing solved the problem except for cycling the power on the iPad between 3 and 5 times each day.

Users reporting issues say that the problem is specific to the new iPad. Many posting on Apple's website owned previous-generation 3G models and did not have the same connectivity bugs.

Those sharing the problem come from a variety of international countries, including Austria, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, the U.K., Singapore, Spain and Italy. In addition, a handful of people from the U.S., like user "rodzs," have also joined the discussion, though there seem to be fewer problems for American users.




"I live in northern Wisconsin and while I'm at home and the surrounding areas it works, but then the minute I am in extended coverage it doesn't work!!" they wrote. "Like many of you I tried resetting pretty much everything and nothing. I went to a Verizon store and tried to tell them that something is wrong with it and they pretty much told me that it was because when it is in extended coverage it might not work because of reception."

AppleInsider was first to report in March on an unrelated Wi-Fi reception issue some users have seen with the new iPad. Those people have complained that wireless reception with the new model is notably inferior than with Apple's previous models.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 64
yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..

Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !

Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..
Oh Boy .. I did it again hihi ..

http://facebook.com/eastmanmusic
Reply
Oh Boy .. I did it again hihi ..

http://facebook.com/eastmanmusic
Reply
post #3 of 64
it seems to be an iOS 5.1 issue, i have setup 30 ipad 2s at work, abunch had this issue & my new ipad also gets it too
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastman View Post

yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..

Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !

Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..

May I ask, how long does it take to recharge? And are you using the new iPad lead or an iPhone or older iPad lead? Maybe Apple should think of new ways of recharging, especially the new iPad, than by just using a USB type lead? Overnight it's not a problem, but if we need to recharge during the day, it can be an inconvenience, right?
post #5 of 64
"Those sharing the problem come from a variety of international countries,"

Glad it wasn't any of those pesky domestic countries.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #6 of 64
Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.
post #7 of 64
This happens to my iPhone 4S too a lot lately.. I need to restart it like once or twice a week.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.

The battery doesn't charge when plugged in? How do you charge it then?
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastman View Post

Still love my New iPad .. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..

No, that is just an artifact of the superior charging system. I think you will find that when the battery indicator says 100%, the iPad will give you the advertised uptime. After that, it trickle charges and discharges to protect your battery, which is a great and innovative feature.

It does NOT take too long to charge, that is just the tech press trying to get clickbait.
post #10 of 64
Originally Posted by maccherry
Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The battery doesn't charge when plugged in? How do you charge it then?

now that's funny!

but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)
post #11 of 64
I haven't had these problems yet.

But the battery charge is limited by the USB connection. As it is, Apple is well over USB's 5 watt limit with their 10 watt charger. I don't know what they can do about that. It would entail a major redesign of the port and internal wiring. In addition, the faster a battery charges, the hotter it gets. With people complaining that this gets warm, I don't see a way around it.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin0611 View Post

May I ask, how long does it take to recharge?

About 50% longer. Remember, the battery is 70% larger. It's not an ideal situation but ideal is the battery never needing to be charged during the life of the product. That display and it's associated components far outweigh any step back in weight, thickness, or charging time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)

I was playing Kingdom Rush for a way too long yesterday. Very addictive. Anyway, I started using it when my iPad was at 20% and it stayed at 205 the entire time. The draw, for that game, was right in line with the charging.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)

That's the way I read it. He says his iPad discharges faster than he can charge it, shutting down even when plugged in, altho I would think it would have to be in unusually heavy use and not something common.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #14 of 64
Have the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen both on Orange in the UK, no issues with 3G connection. I turn off the cellular data when at home and enable it when I'm out and it always connects.

Battery charges in a little over 4 hours on the iPad 2 and a little over 6 hours on the 3rd gen iPad. Not a problem as I it lasts all of my waking day and then some when under heavy use. Both iPads charge quite happily from the supplied 10w charger or from the Macbook Pro.
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.

Perhaps you have a faulty charger, or a faulty iPad? Or perhaps you are correct, and Apple forgot to include a battery charging capability when they designed it.
post #16 of 64
I've had a ticket open with Verizon since March 6th on this very issue. I live in Central Wisconsin and am a Verizon subscriber. While in Central Wisconsin, I am using Verizon's Extended Network--which is 3G. I finally had my issue escalated to the network/tower tech's and they indicated to me that they have a ticket open with Apple. The problem explained to me is that iOS 5.1 is not structuring the authentication appropriately with the 3G network. As others report, it works just fine as long as you're in "Verizon (not Extended) 3G" or Verizon LTE.

My iPad has no network connectivity in my home area until this is resolved by Apple.
post #17 of 64
I have worked with many iPad alarm systems at best buy and I see the charging issue quite frequently. It seems the iPad outputs much more power (given the iPad almost has double the battery capacity) than the charging source inputs, thus, while the iPad is running, or being used, it shuts down due to the input power not being sufficient enough to keep the iPad running. The people at work said "well, it works when you turn it off." yeah cuz the output power is nonexistent.

As for 3G issues, I have had no problem with my Verizon iPad whatsoever. Smokin fast. Loving the $20 a month option as opposed to the MANDATORY $30 price tag Verizon puts on smart phones
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Have the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen both on Orange in the UK, no issues with 3G connection. I turn off the cellular data when at home and enable it when I'm out and it always connects.

Battery charges in a little over 4 hours on the iPad 2 and a little over 6 hours on the 3rd gen iPad. Not a problem as I it lasts all of my waking day and then some when under heavy use. Both iPads charge quite happily from the supplied 10w charger or from the Macbook Pro.

Why do you bother doing that? The iPad should automatically switch to known Wi-Fi networks anyway, so there is no point.

But in any case mine has this problem (Finland). Works perfectly on Wi-Fi, but will not connect to 3G unless it is rebooted first.
post #19 of 64
Apple deleted the discussion thread? I'm getting this when trying to click the link in the AI article:

Quote:
It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

I have worked with many iPad alarm systems at best buy and I see the charging issue quite frequently. It seems the iPad outputs much more power (given the iPad almost has double the battery capacity) than the charging source inputs, thus, while the iPad is running, or being used, it shuts down due to the input power not being sufficient enough to keep the iPad running. The people at work said "well, it works when you turn it off." yeah cuz the output power is nonexistent.

That doesn't quite seem right. The iPad lasts around 9 - 10 hours in normal use, and charges from dead in under 6 hours with the 10 W charger. That implies that the charging rate exceeds the discharging rate in normal use.

And that is consistent with the behavior of my iPad - even when only plugged in to a USB port, while the iPad reports "not charging", its battery level does not fall when being used.

Possibly some of the more CPU-intensive games can push the discharge rate above even the 10 W charge rate, but that should be reflected in a much diminished battery life.
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple deleted the discussion thread? I'm getting this when trying to click the link in the AI article:

No - it's still there.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

No - it's still there.

That's weird. I logged in and still can't view it.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That's weird. I logged in and still can't view it.

Yep I have noticed ths too they seem to deleting most of the posts reporting this problem, their was this one earlier https://discussions.apple.com/message/18056394#18056394 which had a list of people with the same problem and they wher in the hundreds

I have had this problem since launch day on my 32gb 4g in the uk
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's the way I read it. He says his iPad discharges faster than he can charge it, shutting down even when plugged in, altho I would think it would have to be in unusually heavy use and not something common.

It's not hard to figure out.

The new iPad lasts around 10 hours on a full charge for typical light usage. It takes around 10 hours to charge.

So if the usage is 'typical light usage' (or whatever usage they used for their 10 hour test), then the usage will occur at the same rate as the charging - so the percentage full would not change.

If they're using more than the test usage (which could be true if you use LTE or are playing games), then it will drain the battery faster than it can charge. The heavier the usage, the greater the difference.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #25 of 64
Here we go with the we-need-eyeballs hysteria used by newsrooms everywhere: One user in northeastern Madagascar reports a slowdown of 0.0053 kb/sec in his 3G connection and it's suddenly "iPad has serious issues with 3G. Is this the end of Apple as we know it? Has the Fruit lost its luster? Story at 8."
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.

I had a friend who reacted to everything like this. Never made any sense to me. If I buy something and it doesn't work the way it should, I always take it back and get it checked and/or replaced. My friend would just get upset and make the assumption that that's the way they all work and not that his might be a defective unit, which, you know, happens when things are mass-produced.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastman View Post

yeah i have that problem .. sometimes a switching on and off of the 3g/4g connection helps ..

Wish to have it sorted soon .. cos its annoying !

It's more than likely a driver issue which I'm sure they'll work out soon. Sometimes it sucks to be the first to use a device with newer components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastman View Post

.. but the battery is also damn slow to recharge ..

It's a much higher capacity battery (almost double the battery in the original iPad and iPad 2). It's going to take longer to charge.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's a much higher capacity battery (almost double the battery in the original iPad and iPad 2). It's going to take longer to charge.

Since the battery is so much larger, then why didn't they stick in a higher Watt charger? You nearly double the capacity of the battery, you should upgrade the charger as well.

The damn thing has a bigger battery than the 11" MacBook Air (and nearly as large as the 13" model), yet the MacBook Airs come with a 45W charger...

They could have at least bumped the charger up to 20 or 25 instead of making us suffer with long charging times. I plugged my iPad 3 in at 12:30AM (35%) this morning and woke up at 7:20. The damn thing was only at 88% charge. Pathetic.
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

Originally Posted by maccherry
Even with the New iPad plugged in(in the wall and not my laptop's usb port!), the effing thing shuts down when the battery drains. That makes no fu***** sense. My girlfriend is sending it back. Screw it. I didn't need it anyway. I have the latest macbook air 13 inch. Freaking awesome.
The screen on the new iPad is great but the fact that the battery does't charge while plugged in is pathetic.
Apple can go to hell on this one.



now that's funny!

but, i think he means while he using it... (though who knows he could be using the iPod charger instead of the iPad charger)

Wow, you seem to be taking this a little too personally... Good thing you returned your iPad, no sense in getting a heart attack over it. Mine is working great!
post #30 of 64
I got a Verizon LTE iPad and had cellular connectivity issues from the first day. After going to both Apple and Verizon and being told I just was out of range I did some tests. To test their hypothesis I drove to three nearby states and tried connecting outdoors in strong signal areas. Even with 5 bars and LTE I would get "No connection to the Internet". It would sometimes connect but be incredibly slow (like 120 kbs download, 3 kbs upload slow).

I demonstrated this issue at the Apple Store and they replaced the iPad, but we reused the SIM. The new one worked great. Then later I would find instances of trying to reconnect and getting the "no Internet" warning even though signal strength was 5 bars. In most cases a restart of the iPad does the trick and all works fine.

Could this issue be related to the SIM, or is this just a problem with these iPads at this time?
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Since the battery is so much larger, then why didn't they stick in a higher Watt charger? You nearly double the capacity of the battery, you should upgrade the charger as well.

The damn thing has a bigger battery than the 11" MacBook Air (and nearly as large as the 13" model), yet the MacBook Airs come with a 45W charger...

They could have at least bumped the charger up to 20 or 25 instead of making us suffer with long charging times. I plugged my iPad 3 in at 12:30AM (35%) this morning and woke up at 7:20. The damn thing was only at 88% charge. Pathetic.

Except for one thing - USB is limited in how much power it can deliver (5W, IIRC). And if they violate the USB limits by issuing a 25 watt charger, then people who use it on their iPhones could damage them.

Most people charge their iPad overnight and never drain their iPad completely dry so 6 hours vs 10 hours for a full charge isn't a big deal. Just another silly trumped up nonsense complaint.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Most people charge their iPad overnight and never drain their iPad completely dry so 6 hours vs 10 hours for a full charge isn't a big deal. Just another silly trumped up nonsense complaint.

Wow, so you now speak for everyone and it's no big deal

Typical. You just have to love how any possible criticism is labeled as "no big deal" or "nonsense".
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Wow, so you now speak for everyone and it's no big deal

Typical. You just have to love how any possible criticism is labeled as "no big deal" or "nonsense".

No, only the ones that are no big deal or nonsense are labeled as 'no big deal' or 'nonsense'.

The fact that it takes 10 hours to go from completely drained to completely charged will affect an insignificant number of people (certainly no one that I know and it's hard to imagine why it would be a big deal for anyone). But if it's not suitable for you, then you simply don't buy it.

Apple is wise enough to realize that there will be some PIA people who will be unhappy no matter what you do so there's no point in trying to please everyone. Go buy something else.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

There seems to be a lot of fanboys on here that cannot accept any criticism of Apple or admit there may be a problem with Apple hardware. \

Not true at all. There are, however, several people here who point out how stupid some of the ridiculous complaints are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

While the charging issue may not be a big deal to many people who let their iPad charge overnight, it may be a problem to others who are heavy users of the iPad and need the charger to keep up.

I'd be interested in what the usage scenario is that will cause this problem. Please be specific.

Let's take an example. iPad takes 10 hours to drain under 'normal' usage and recharges in 10 hours. Now, let's say that you're playing heavy games that drain it twice as fast. So if you ran it off battery, it would drain in 5 hours. But if you leave it plugged in, you would have 10 hours of non-stop heavy game usage before the battery is drained, and then you go to bed and when you wake up you can do the same thing tomorrow.

Just how many people will that not be sufficient for - and why should Apple design a product that's ridiculous overkill for 99.9999% of users to make an insignificant number happy. Oh, and btw, good luck finding any other tablets that would satisfy these people any better.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #35 of 64
I think the problem might be overblown.

I've had no problem getting LTE to work on Rogers, but if I turn off LTE, the 3G network doesn't seem to work, but if I restart the iPad, it then works, even if I turn the LTE back on. The thing to point out here is that Rogers has different APN's for their LTE and their 3G system, so what is VERY likely happening is that the sessions are being dropped since the APN's switch. If it hasn't been powered on in 3G mode, it might not have the APN for 3G programmed. So the solution is to power cycle it once in 3G and once in LTE so you have both APN's programmed.

At least that explains the drop on Rogers. Rogers APN Comparison, Rogers has one additional APN called GoRogers that is used on mobile phones "non-tetherable" mode. What's interesting is how internet.com and rogers-core-appl1.apn actually differ, despite being connected to the same tower.

AT&T, I traveled to Seattle but there is no LTE down there. Using a AT&T sim card, I was not able to get any speed resembling what I was getting in Canada. Rogers I can get 20Mbps, but AT&T I was hard pressed to even get 7. It seems that maybe Seattle's AT&T "4G" non-LTE service is only Release 5 HSDPA (7.2Mbps.) Or in other worse, it just shows "4G" when you have a AT&T sim card, even if you're not on LTE.

post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true at all. There are, however, several people here who point out how stupid some of the ridiculous complaints are.



I'd be interested in what the usage scenario is that will cause this problem. Please be specific.

Let's take an example. iPad takes 10 hours to drain under 'normal' usage and recharges in 10 hours. Now, let's say that you're playing heavy games that drain it twice as fast. So if you ran it off battery, it would drain in 5 hours. But if you leave it plugged in, you would have 10 hours of non-stop heavy game usage before the battery is drained, and then you go to bed and when you wake up you can do the same thing tomorrow.

Just how many people will that not be sufficient for - and why should Apple design a product that's ridiculous overkill for 99.9999% of users to make an insignificant number happy. Oh, and btw, good luck finding any other tablets that would satisfy these people any better.

The problem with people like you is that you seem so militant and antagonistic towards people who have a complaint. Instead of acknowledging it or being nice, you belittle people and tell them that here concerns are nonsense or don't matter. That's not how a receptive community acts. It breeds contempt and negativity.

If someone brings up an issue that seems to paint Apple in a negative light, there are those that are tripping over themselves to say that Apple is always right and your usage case scenario is wrong. Are we here to be a community or sing Apple's praises?

As for me, I'm currently at the beach sitting on the couch with my iPad. It's been cold and rainy for the past few days so we've been "shut in". My iPhone is plugged into the wall and I'm using it as a hotspot for my iPad. It was at 88% this morning (because it couldn't top off the battery in 7 hours), but now is down to about 30%. I've been doing work, email, playing Angry Birds, and finished watching "Leon: The Professional".

By the end of the night, this thing is going to be below 10% or dead.

As for plugging it in while using it, I can't ergonomically use my iPad when is charging -- the damn cord gets in my way, especially when playing games. The only time I plug it in is when I'm not using it. Being physically "tethered" with such a mobile device is confining.

If I plug it in again tonight while I'm sleeping, it won't even have a full charge (again) for a full days worth of use when I wake up at 7 tomorrow morning.

My iPad 3 is the only mobile device (we have two MacBook Airs, two iPhones, and this iPad) that I have that takes this long to charge and TO ME, it's annoying. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, just stating my opinion.

Just for once, I'd like to be able to state my true feelings about an Apple product without someone acting like I'm pissing on Steve Jobs' gravestone.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The problem with people like you is that you seem so militant and antagonistic towards people who have a complaint. Instead of acknowledging it or being nice, you belittle people and tell them that here concerns are nonsense or don't matter. That's not how a receptive community acts. It breeds contempt and negativity.

If someone brings up an issue that seems to paint Apple in a negative light, there are those that are tripping over themselves to say that Apple is always right and your usage case scenario is wrong. Are we here to be a community or sing Apple's praises?

That's not what happens at all.

Someone brings up some trivial little matter that might affect 3 people on the entire planet and acts like it's the end of the world. Then people point out that their complaints are silly.

If your complaint had any validity, then they would get due consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As for me, I'm currently at the beach sitting on the couch with my iPad. It's been cold and rainy for the past few days so we've been "shut in". My iPhone is plugged into the wall and I'm using it as a hotspot for my iPad. It was at 88% this morning (because it couldn't top off the battery in 7 hours), but now is down to about 30%. I've been doing work, email, playing Angry Birds, and finished watching "Leon: The Professional".

By the end of the night, this thing is going to be below 10% or dead.

As for plugging it in while using it, I can't ergonomically use my iPad when is charging -- the damn cord gets in my way, especially when playing games. The only time I plug it in is when I'm not using it. Being physically "tethered" with such a mobile device is confining.

So you expect to use an iPad all day long on the beach without fully charging it and that's Apple's fault?

I guess Apple should be concerned about people who work 24 hour shifts and want to operate their device all day long without putting it down for a second, too.

Here's a hint: battery powered devices have a finite amount of charge. If you're unwilling to leave it plugged in because it's inconvenient, that's too bad.

And which competitive products are going to be any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If I plug it in again tonight while I'm sleeping, it won't even have a full charge (again) for a full days worth of use when I wake up at 7 tomorrow morning.

So go to bed before midnight. :roll eyes:

It's simple. It takes 10 hours to get a full charge. If you want a full charge, leave it plugged in long enough. The problem with your complaint is that even if Apple made the device run 20 hours on a full charge which only took 15 minutes, someone would be complaining that it wasn't good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My iPad 3 is the only mobile device (we have two MacBook Airs, two iPhones, and this iPad) that I have that takes this long to charge and TO ME, it's annoying. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, just stating my opinion.

Just for once, I'd like to be able to state my true feelings about an Apple product without someone acting like I'm pissing on Steve Jobs' gravestone.

State your true feelings all you want. Just stop acting like your demands are typical.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not what happens at all.

Someone brings up some trivial little matter that might affect 3 people on the entire planet and acts like it's the end of the world. Then people point out that their complaints are silly.

If your complaint had any validity, then they would get due consideration.



So you expect to use an iPad all day long on the beach without fully charging it and that's Apple's fault?

I guess Apple should be concerned about people who work 24 hour shifts and want to operate their device all day long without putting it down for a second, too.

Here's a hint: battery powered devices have a finite amount of charge. If you're unwilling to leave it plugged in because it's inconvenient, that's too bad.

And which competitive products are going to be any better?



So go to bed before midnight. :roll eyes:

It's simple. It takes 10 hours to get a full charge. If you want a full charge, leave it plugged in long enough. The problem with your complaint is that even if Apple made the device run 20 hours on a full charge which only took 15 minutes, someone would be complaining that it wasn't good enough.



State your true feelings all you want. Just stop acting like your demands are typical.

You see what I'm talking about? I state my case and you get defensive and start talking about how I'm not going to get it any better with a competitor or talk about how I'm one of maybe three in the world with a problem. Did I kick your dog or something?

All I said was that I wish it charged faster. That's it. Good grief. Youd think that I asked to split the atom or something. No device is perfect. I just said I wish that it charged faster. I have no qualms with the battery life.

There is no immediate fix for the charging issue, but I'm sure that Apple will tackle it in the future. There's nothing wring with bringing up the issue and discussing it.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You see what I'm talking about? I state my case and you get defensive and start talking about how I'm not going to get it any better with a competitor or talk about how I'm one of maybe three in the world with a problem. Did I kick your dog or something?

All I said was that I wish it charged faster. That's it. Good grief. Youd think that I asked to split the atom or something. No device is perfect. I just said I wish that it charged faster. I have no qualms with the battery life.

There is no immediate fix for the charging issue, but I'm sure that Apple will tackle it in the future. There's nothing wring with bringing up the issue and discussing it.

I wish my car got 150 miles per gallon and accelerated from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and made women attack me in the street. If it doesn't do that, it would be foolish to complain about it.

REASONABLE complaints are one thing. Asking for the sun and moon and stars and complaining when Apple doesn't provide it isn't reasonable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wish my car got 150 miles per gallon and accelerated from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and made women attack me in the street. If it doesn't do that, it would be foolish to complain about it.

REASONABLE complaints are one thing. Asking for the sun and moon and stars and complaining when Apple doesn't provide it isn't reasonable.

There is no way of reasonably talking with you. I'm done with this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Users report 3G connection issues with Apple's new iPad