or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC profits collapse 70% in face of competition from Apple, Samsung
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC profits collapse 70% in face of competition from Apple, Samsung - Page 2

post #41 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Samsung is going to become the de facto Android handset manufacturer. Google's only hardware partner that matters.

LG is losing money, Sony is irrelevant, HTC was hanging in there but the trend is bad, Moto will make low selling reference handsets for Google's pointless efforts to take control back of their platform.

Samsung will feel they have earned the right to treat Android as their own, modifying as they see fit, and certainly moving to bring former Google services in house (think their recent ad initiative). No, they won't be as good, but as the only viable Android partner, what can anyone do? I think Android will become as much Samsung's as Google's, if not more.

There, you just made Motorola cry. Are you happy now?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 111
Strange to see so much negativity about HTC here, of all the Android manufacturers they were one of very few that actually tried to make more of their phones than just the generic crap that most of the others sell, or the iPhone clone business that Samsung runs. HTC had some very nice designs, usually good hardware, and their Sense skin was actually pretty tolerable and not a complete rip-off of something else. For example the Legend was actually a very nice phone, one of the only phones to date that had an aluminum uni-body design. Sadly their last few phones got progressively worse.

I don't really see myself buying an Android phone any time soon, but if I were forced to choose one, it would probably be a HTC. Samsung is now officially the only Android vendor left that actually makes a profit off of Android, but if you ask me, they are the one company that least deserves to. The only reason they are doing well is because of the enormous scale and volume they are shifting, not because they actually tried anything innovative. Except the Galaxy Note maybe, you could call that monstrosity 'innovative', just not in a good way.
post #43 of 111
HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone
post #44 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Us?

It's Apple's old slogan, circa 1984, "The computer for the rest of us"

(I meant to imply that Samsung wants to be like Apple so bad, they would even imitate Apple's old slogans)
post #45 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Samsung: "The Apple for the 'Meh too' or 'good enough, and I hope you can't tell it's not Apple' crowd"

@geysernuts -- You nailed it!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #46 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone


>>Oh no! 404 - Page not found
You have reached this page either because 1) The page requested no longer exists, or 2) We may have been uploading a new version of the requested page as you tried to access it. Please use the "back" button on your browser and try again. We apologize for any inconvenience.
<< Back to HTC Europe<<

That is one attractive phone indeed!
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #47 of 111
HTC: a new model every week, re-branding of similar model, etc.

It's the same crap, recycled. Typical Android OEM.

Undifferentiated hardware running an undifferentiated OS (apart from its lousy quality compared to iOS.)

*yawn*
post #48 of 111
Who didn't see this sh** coming!
post #49 of 111
Survival of THE FITTEST Award goes to... Apple!
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #50 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Survival of THE FITTEST Award goes to... Apple!

Apple is iDoomed.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #51 of 111
Apple is Bruce Lee.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Apple is iDoomed.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Apple is Bruce Lee.


LOL. Bruce says, "who's next?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Their brand has no visibility, no presence.
Their phones look like "generic Android phones."
Their branding is a mess: Radar? Vivid? ReZound? You've got to be kidding me. If the average consumer (read: not hard core Fandroid) cannot explain the difference between these phones and their competitors, then HTC will continue to fail.


They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

It's make or break time for them.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #54 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Samsung: "The Apple for the people without taste"

Ah yes, "Presenting the new Samsung Crapple!"

[QUOTE=jz1492;2090229]Beleaguered Motorola and HTC were first with Android, yet Samsung is the one soaring in the marketplace without a commensurate marketing effort.

Which goes a long way to prove that the more they copy Apple, the better their chances of prevailing --until they lose in court, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I'm glad that Apple aggressively sued Samsung because otherwise that's precisely the lesson companies would walk away with. At least now they have to consider the financial burden in legal settlements for resorting to copy-catting. How much of those profits will Samsung have to pour back into settlements awarded to Apple?

For starters, they will likely pay Apple for every lost profit dollar by infringing on Apple's patents. Samsung will not be allowed to profit from their crime. Then there will be a penalty as well, which could be up to three-fold the profit damages. Finally, Samsung could end up being watched by the court for some time to prevent any hint of a new infringement. This will tend to stifle innovation if the court needs to see what they are planning on doing.

The longer the case goes on, and the more Samsung profits from sales, the bigger the final check they need to write.

Oh, and if some of the infringements came from the Android software, Samsung has recourse to sue Google for losses. So, from not making money, Google can go to losing money on Android.

Finally, if some of the infringement is in the Android software, Apple can just go to the other 35 phone manufacturers and sue easily showing prior court decisions... leaving Google to be the payee at the end of the line.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #55 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

It's make or break time for them.

Agreed. It looks like they make a decision to focus and differentiate, and it looks like they've done a pretty nice job of that.

The question is whether or not we've already passed a tipping point where "Samsung = Android" in the mind of the average buyer. Or maybe more accurately "Galaxy = Android."

That's the problem with being an Android licensee, there's only so much you can do to make yourself stand out. Samsung has the money to advertise heavily, HTC does not. At some point you enter a death spiral, no matter how nice your pretty much just like the other Android phones are.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #56 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Didn't they announce SwipeIt at this year's CES?

it works on the latest Samsung models. practically the same as DLNA, just branded. not up to AirPlay standards.
post #57 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it works on the latest Samsung models. practically the same as DLNA, just branded. not up to AirPlay standards.

I've seen no SW service from Samsung that is close to Apple's level of competency, but in all fairness SwipeIt is still new. AirPlay is an evolution of AirTunes which debuted nearly 8 years ago in June 2004, and AirPlay has been around for nearly 2 years now. I think we just got mirroring with iOS 5.0. Wow! It's been that long!

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

... 200 dollars does not buy you "taste"

Nah, but having taste and $200 buys you an iPhone.
post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone

Indeed it is! I bought a One X about a week ago and I love it. I used to love my iPhone but the screen is just too small, in my opinion anyway.

I might look at the next iPhone if the screen is much bigger but for now I will stick with the One X. Also, it's nice to change little things like a SMS tone without having to hack my phone and I can schedule my work exchange email account!
post #60 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

.../but i doubt these new TV-centered initiatives will succeed much. except for gadget lovers (maybe 5% of the consumer market), i don't think people want to center multiple aspects their everyday lives around their big screen HDTV in the living room...

After everything you said, it still fails, because it's based on the above assumption. You are thinking in terms of mobile people on the go or just healthy ones. There are tens of millions of people who come home from work and plop down in front of their TV set in the living room. There are millions more who because of disabilities do this out of necessity of being immobile. There are tens of millions of senior citizens (we like gadgets too) who live for the programs on their large screen televisions. I have three sisters all over 65 and I can tell you that TV is their life and it isn't in their kitchen (no offense). Apple sells its products to hundreds of millions of people. I would think your family and circle of friends are much smaller. My iMac is the "Window to my World" because of congestive heart failure but I hope I live long enough to enjoy one of these large screen Apple television sets so I can blend my computing with the TV and control them wirelessly, although in my case it will go in my bedroom.
post #61 of 111
+1

five chars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah, but having taste and $200 buys you an iPhone.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They're getting there One X & One S are their new models, nice phones with s chassis like the Nokia's and a SIM drawer for the MicroSIM, they've improved the camera focussing on more than just megapixels.

It's make or break time for them.

It won't matter. Here's why.

Ask the average consumer, say, your mom or grand kids or that barista that makes your coffee to name a HTC phone and one outstanding feature of it, could they? Now ask them to name and Apple phone an one outstanding feature of it, could they?

HTC's marketing slogan is "quietly brilliant". Maybe they should learn how to make some noise.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #63 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

HTC's marketing slogan is "quietly brilliant". Maybe they should learn how to make some noise.

They'd better learn or soon they'll have to change their slogan to "Quickly Broke".
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #64 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanskywalker View Post

First, Android and Window 7 mobile are craps compare to iOS.

Secondly, HTC, unlike Samsung, never comes out with real attractive design model that can attract buyers to be excited about, some how i feel all their model design look quite the same as each other ( just look at the picture) in this stroy

Thirdly, I think the marketing and advertise team in HTC are really craps too. They don't seems to have very huge and exciting advertisement or events to catch attention to the consumer. I hardly notice that when they have new models coming out or that particular phone is actually a new model

Samsung does great in trying to come out with design that try to pull iPhone owner over and always have good advertisement, campaign and PR methods to catch attention on their up coming new models. They are even very good as using apple's strong name now and try to like fight law suit or say things bad about Apple products just to catch attaction.

I thing that is why HTC lost out a lot in market share to Samsung, not to even mention Apple

It's fine that you don't like Android but calling it crap is childish at best. I use an Android phone because I can do things on it that I can't with a iPhone. That doesn't mean I think the iPhone is crap, far from it. It's a wonderful phone that appeals to a lot of people who like simplicity and elegance. However it is also a very locked system and doesn't even begin to offer the freedom that an open source OS brings. It's for some not for everyone so please reframe from calling things you don't like crap.

As far as HTC is concerned they just released three fantastic new phones to the market. Their also discontinuing many other of their phones in their repatuer while only focusing on the few. I think this is a good business plan and will hopefully bring forth fruit. Seriously have you seen their new flagship, fricken amazing.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #65 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Indeed it is! I bought a One X about a week ago and I love it. I used to love my iPhone but the screen is just too small, in my opinion anyway.

I might look at the next iPhone if the screen is much bigger but for now I will stick with the One X. Also, it's nice to change little things like a SMS tone without having to hack my phone and I can schedule my work exchange email account!

Can you tell me how the battery life is on it. I've heard it can easily survive an entire workday but I'm pretty hard on my phones as I'm literally on it all the time, can you tell me how good you think it is.

Yes I completely agree it's time for Apple to move to a larger screen size. It will happen though I have no doubt.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #66 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

When you base your product on an Operating System that is FREE, then you are basing your business on a worthless Operating System because you didn't pay for it. Some things in life that are free end up being worthless. There is a difference between charging a reasonable amount of money, being gouged, to being hoodwinked into a worthless product. Oh well, you can lead them to water, but you can't make em drink it until they get thirsty enough.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You do realize that OSX and iOS is based off of a free OS, does BSD mean anything to you. The entire internet is ran from servers running free operating systems. Some of the best software in the world is free, Apache, MySQL, Samba, Linux, OpenOffice, VLC, every programming language on the planet.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #67 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Can you tell me how the battery life is on it. I've heard it can easily survive an entire workday but I'm pretty hard on my phones as I'm literally on it all the time, can you tell me how good you think it is.

Yes I completely agree it's time for Apple to move to a larger screen size. It will happen though I have no doubt.

I get fantastic battery life but I dont play any games etc like some other people do. I left it off charge for 15 hours the other day and it only went down to 73%.

Also, nice to have a proper notification light! It's very close to the top of the case so very obvious to see.

I could never go back to a 3.5" screen now, in fact my work gave me a 4S but I used it for one day and it now sits in my office. Everything else in my house is nearly Apple but phonewise I can't see myself going away from Android for a while...but then again I thought the same thing about the iPhone a year ago lol.
post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

HTC was good at the start from windows mobile phones to android. Lately they sucked but their HTC One is looking to be a great phone

That (flash) website is full of broken links, but I found out they have a deal with Dropbox: free 25GB for two years*.

I think a move like that will entice some folks. The hardware? I don't know, I'll keep on enjoying my iPhone - probably 4ever.

*Offer only available on HTC One series phones. Offer not available in China.

Specs:
Size: \t134.36 x 69.9 x 8.9 mm
Weightt130 grams with battery
DisplaytHD 720p touch
Screent4.7-inch (1280 x 720 resolution)

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #69 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's fine that you don't like Android but calling it crap is childish at best. I use an Android phone because I can do things on it that I can't with a iPhone. That doesn't mean I think the iPhone is crap, far from it. It's a wonderful phone that appeals to a lot of people who like simplicity and elegance. However it is also a very locked system and doesn't even begin to offer the freedom that an open source OS brings. It's for some not for everyone so please reframe from calling things you don't like crap.

As far as HTC is concerned they just released three fantastic new phones to the market. Their also discontinuing many other of their phones in their repatuer while only focusing on the few. I think this is a good business plan and will hopefully bring forth fruit. Seriously have you seen their new flagship, fricken amazing.


Most of the comments in this forum are childish at best and with 1727 posts I'm sure this doesn't surprise you The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

Apple really need to lift their game with the next iPhone though and I am sure they will. I was showing my coworkers my One X the other day and someone put it next to their 4S and said "wow, it makes the iPhone look old fashioned".
post #70 of 111
I guess that's why the bottom has dropped out of HTC's profits. No doubt this phone will completely turn things around.

I admit I'm bemused by the people who are always explaining to us stupid fanboys why Apple "must" do this or that. Or what? Continue to make all the money while the extra amazing spec kings go out of business?

An HTC fan, at this point, is like an Apple enthusiast during the very worst of Apple's darkest days, exclaiming over the latest Performa or whatever and declaring that Microsoft or Del or Compaq had better get with the program and answer in kind. Just delusional, in other words.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #71 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I guess that's why the bottom has dropped out of HTC's profits. No doubt this phone will completely turn things around.

I admit I'm bemused by the people who are always explaining to us stupid fanboys why Apple "must" do this or that. Or what? Continue to make all the money while the extra amazing spec kings go out of business?

An HTC fan, at this point, is like an Apple enthusiast during the very worst of Apple's darkest days, exclaiming over the latest Performa or whatever and declaring that Microsoft or Del or Compaq had better get with the program and answer in kind. Just delusional, in other words.

You're right actually and probably what I (assume you were talking about me) should have said was, I hope Apple lift their game. Anyway thats my perspective but there are millions of happy iPhone customers out there so they are obviously doing something right.

To get me back they will need to do something special in the next iPhone though.
post #72 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

You're right actually and probably what I (assume you were talking about me) should have said was, I hope Apple lift their game. Anyway thats my perspective but there are millions of happy iPhone customers out there so they are obviously doing something right.

To get me back they will need to do something special in the next iPhone though.

Fair enough, you certainly are entitled to your preferences.

My guess is that the next iPhone will have a somewhat larger screen without having a much larger case, because Apple has strong feelings about what works best for one-handed operation and mobility. They'll probably rework the case design in general just because they do that from time to time.

I think anyone waiting for some kind of eye-popping rethink of iOS is in for a long wait, however. Android has changed a lot because it wasn't very good when it was released and has basically gone through it beta releases in public. Apple tends to spend a lot of time getting the fundamentals nailed and then iterates evolutionarily, until they're ready for the something completely different.

Classic Mac OS, OS X and the iPod all saw (and are seeing) modest updates to their chrome and functionality over the years while maintaining a basic look and feel and idiom. I don't think the dread "static screen of apps" is somehow going to morph into a diverting light show, and I don't think Apple is going to adopt any kind of "live tile" deal-- simply because I have no doubt something similar was tried and discarded during the original design phase.

I'm surprised when people complain about "boring" home screens and the like-- I use my phone to do stuff, not gaze lovingly at the OS. I'm never more than a few taps away from the app I want to use, which suits me fine.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

It's a shame that people will not chose something because it came from Apple.

Take Relic who just a few days ago said she got rid of her iPhone because everyone had one. Does that sounds like a rational reason to change your digital ecosystem? She then followed up with an anecdote how she's converted a dozen women from the iPhone over the Galaxy Note so it's hard to take the combined comments seriously. It's too bad she's married or I'd hook her up with DaHarder.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #74 of 111
I was going to comment on your comment, but then I caught myself.

I have as much chance of convincing you as you convincing me (iPhone vs. Note).

So in the end, we can simply just agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Most of the comments in this forum are childish at best and with 1727 posts I'm sure this doesn't surprise you The iPhone is a great phone but it's shame some people can't see the value in something that doesn't come from Apple.

Apple really need to lift their game with the next iPhone though and I am sure they will. I was showing my coworkers my One X the other day and someone put it next to their 4S and said "wow, it makes the iPhone look old fashioned".
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #75 of 111
Just for kicks, I checked some Android tablets at Staples. They had some Asus, Acer, Samsung and company (Archos, etc.) on display.

The first thing I noticed is the oddness of the 16x9 ratio of the Galaxy 10. The Iconia seemed too thick and heavy. The Transformer felt like a laptop display without a keyboard. The Archos had no power, so I couldn't really examine it. Except for the Samsung, the other felt cheap and outdated.

Perhaps more disturbing is the Android interface. I can't quite explain it, but I think even Windows is easier to navigate.

For all the Android fans out there, keep buying whatever it is that you prefer and meet your needs. This is my personal assessment and in no way meant to persuade anyone to consider Apple products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a shame that people will not chose something because it came from Apple.

Take Relic who just a few days ago said she got rid of her iPhone because everyone had one. Does that sounds like a rational reason to change your digital ecosystem? She then followed up with an anecdote how she's converted a dozen women from the iPhone over the Galaxy Note so it's hard to take the combined comments seriously. It's too bad she's married or I'd hook her up with DaHarder.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #76 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Just for kicks, I checked some Android tablets at Staples. They had some Asus, Acer, Samsung and company (Archos, etc.) on display.

The first thing I noticed is the oddness of the 16x9 ratio of the Galaxy 10. The Iconia seemed too thick and heavy. The Transformer felt like a laptop display without a keyboard. The Archos had no power, so I couldn't really examine it. Except for the Samsung, the other felt cheap and outdated.

Perhaps more disturbing is the Android interface. I can't quite explain it, but I think even Windows is easier to navigate.

16:9 is a very odd aspect ratio for a tablet. I was saying that around 4:3 was the most appropriate size well before the iPad debuted.

I agree that Win8 looks like a better option for consumers over Android, but is it a better option over iOS for iPad? I think WIn8 for tablets could fall into the same pitfalls as Win7 for Windows Phone. It's good OS, but it's not good enough to choose over the iPhone.

The problem for MS is that the iPad dominate this market, but the benefit for MS is that the "iPad market" is still very new. MS was very last in getting Win Phone to market. Now I think MS should have focused on a tablet OS first that could have been competed with the iPad when people were still saying "but what's it for" and "how do I use it without a file manager". That ship has long since sailed.

Win8 is a step backwards in usability from WIn7, at least for desktop users. MS is taking a huge risk here. I think they should have kept the portable touchscreen devices together and the desktop and notebook devices together, just as Apple does. If my experience with the Win8 beta is any indication then users will flock will to Macs faster than they did with Windows Vista.

I wouldn't be surprised if these things happen this year:
  1. Apple introduces a new Mac focused campaign.
  2. Apple announces a change in accounting for Macs so OS X updates can be delivered free of charge on a yearly cycle.
  3. MS will put back the Start button in Win8 without requiring a 3rd-party tool to do so.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's a shame that people will not chose something because it came from Apple.

Take Relic who just a few days ago said she got rid of her iPhone because everyone had one. Does that sounds like a rational reason to change your digital ecosystem? She then followed up with an anecdote how she's converted a dozen women from the iPhone over the Galaxy Note so it's hard to take the combined comments seriously. It's too bad she's married or I'd hook her up with DaHarder.

You can put me down all you want, I've dealt with likes of you before and it's a normal reaction for insecure men. I just want you to know that I still think your a swell person and I hope everything works out for you in life.

Plus I've said this before, it's only Apples mobile line that I have a problem with. The rest is just peachy in my book.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You can put me down all you want, I'm a very understanding person, it's a normal reaction for insecure men.

I'm not putting you down, I'm saying your comments are irrational. Making mostly rational comments still means your post is irrational if say the things you do.

Part of this disconnect I see in your posts is that you think the word has more importance than the implied meaning or context. It shows you write emotionally, without any regard for reason. This is why you think telling me to bugger off which we all know means to fuck off,, is perfectly acceptable, yet anyone that disagrees your posts, not even against you as a person, you say is personal attacking you. I don't mind you being emotional, but I do mind when you are making irrational and hypocritical statements.

PS: There is nothing secure about not wanting an iPhone because "everyone owns one."

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #79 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is nothing secure about not wanting an iPhone because "everyone owns one."

I like how both meanings of secure are included in that sentence.
post #80 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I get fantastic battery life but I dont play any games etc like some other people do. I left it off charge for 15 hours the other day and it only went down to 73%.

Also, nice to have a proper notification light! It's very close to the top of the case so very obvious to see.

I could never go back to a 3.5" screen now, in fact my work gave me a 4S but I used it for one day and it now sits in my office. Everything else in my house is nearly Apple but phonewise I can't see myself going away from Android for a while...but then again I thought the same thing about the iPhone a year ago lol.

Thank you for your reply, that sounds really amazing. It's kind of strange that company's buy iPhones, I mean you need a multimedia player installed to sync with Hotmail. I hope Apple drops the whole iTunes thing and just allows an iPhone to be mounted as a regular drive.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC profits collapse 70% in face of competition from Apple, Samsung