or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next iPhone predicted to have redesigned 'sleek' unibody case

Apple's next iPhone predicted to have redesigned 'sleek' unibody case

post #1 of 96
Apple's next iPhone will feature a new design that could employ a single unibody frame reminiscent of the company's MacBook lineup, according to a new report.

Analyst Brian J. White with Topeka Capital Markets issued a note to investors on Monday highlighting details he picked up on a tour of suppliers in China and Taiwan. During his visit, he was given the sense that some suppliers will begin production in June of certain components of Apple's sixth-generation iPhone, setting up for a product launch in the fall.

He believes the next iPhone will have a larger screen, which he sees as being 4 inches. He also expects the device will have high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, just like the new iPad.

"In our view, this will be the most significant iPhone upgrade with a four-inch screen and a new, sleek look that we believe will require a Unibody case," White wrote. "This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade."

Indications of a new iPhone form factor cropped up last year when some third-party vendors began manufacturing cases for a completely redesigned model. In addition, some rumors claimed the redesigned iPhone would sport an aluminum unibody similar to the rear panel of the iPad.

White believes that Apple's ramp-up to a new iPhone launch in the December quarter of calendar 2012 could be "extraordinary." He sees the launch of the next iPhone "dwarfing previous launches" and pushing AAPL stock closer to Topeka's $1,001 price target.

Topeka made waves last week when it first announced its $1,001 price target on Apple. In addition to the next iPhone, he also sees a full-blown integrated television from Apple helping to push the company's stock price even higher.

White also revealed on Monday that sources he spoke with on his trip to Asia revealed that Apple is still working on a so-called "iPad mini." While the product remains under development, he said the timing of a launch for such a device is "unclear."

Numerous reports have claimed that Apple is toying with the idea of releasing a new 7.85-inch iPad with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels. The company has been testing such a device in his labs, and the size and resolution would allow current iPad applications to run without any modifications.

As for the current iPad, White said the new high-resolution Retina display created a bottleneck in Apple's supply chain, though the issue has been largely resolved. He said suppliers indicated that demand for the new iPad, which sold 3 million over its launch weekend, has been "very strong."

Finally, White also said that speculation he heard on his trip has pointed toward a May launch of the new iPad in mainland China. Even though the new iPad is not officially available in mainland China, he said a number of resellers are already selling the device after obtaining it through unofficial channels.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 96
So it will look like a mini iPad- I am soo excited by this newzzzzzzz.
post #3 of 96
This is a rehash of the same old sh#t -- please lets wait for something newsworthy before repeating that which you've already said.

Cheers.
post #4 of 96
6th Gen... oh my how time flies...
post #5 of 96
"In our view, this will be the most significant iPhone upgrade with a four-inch screen and a new, sleek look that we believe will require a Unibody case," White wrote. "This new, sleek look will be the most important reason that consumers decide to upgrade."

This is just idiotic. The reason to upgrade is the new features, not the "sleek new look". I expect the 6th gen iPhone to have the same case and look and the 4th and 5th gen iPhones.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #6 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's next iPhone will feature a new design that could employ a single unibody frame reminiscent of the company's MacBook lineup, according to a new report....

It's important to remember that this rumour is not a rumour at all but a "prediction" (basically a guess), by someone with no information on the actual product.

Also, how easy is it to "guess" or "predict" a unibody phone when this is the exact same guess/assumption that every single pundit has made about the next redesign for over two years now?

A unibody iPhone requires the elimination of the current antenna. You know, the really good one that's the best in the industry right now that works so well? Why would they do that?

Until someone explains to me why Apple would drop their industry leading antenna design in favour of the same internal antennas as Samsung and all the rest, a unibody design is simply not likely. Aluminium makes a bad antenna and internal antennas take up more space and get worse reception than the external one now in use.

I'd expect to see a curvy back on the new iPhone, it might even be made of aluminium, but a unibody design doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is some amazing new factor we just don't know about driving the design.
post #7 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

This is just idiotic. The reason to upgrade is the new features, not the "sleek new look".

"But how will people know I have the newest model if they don't give us a new case?! I refuse to buy a phone that is twice as fast as my existing phone (iPhone 4) and better in every single regard because it has the sa~me ca~se! WA~!"

And because it will actually need to be clarified, that's not me talking.

Quote:
I expect the 6th gen iPhone to have the same case and look and the 4th and 5th gen iPhones.

I actually don't, even though I love the current design. Apple has shown they're on a tick tock cycle with their cases. I figure they'll change the case to something I'll hate, but it also won't matter because they'll make the screen bigger and I'll never buy an iPhone thereafter anyway.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

6th Gen... oh my how time flies...

Indeed.
post #9 of 96
4" iPhone will NOT happen. Not as a replacement of current form factor.
post #10 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's important to remember that this rumour is not a rumour at all but a "prediction" (basically a guess), by someone with no information on the actual product.

You are being kind! This sounds like crap pulled out of ones behind to trump up sales.
Quote:

Also, how easy is it to "guess" or "predict" a unibody phone when this is the exact same guess/assumption that every single pundit has made about the next redesign for over two years now?

A unibody iPhone requires the elimination of the current antenna. You know, the really good one that's the best in the industry right now that works so well? Why would they do that?

I can only see them doing so if they can come up with a better design. That will not be easy.
Quote:

Until someone explains to me why Apple would drop their industry leading antenna design in favour of the same internal antennas as Samsung and all the rest, a unibody design is simply not likely. Aluminium makes a bad antenna and internal antennas take up more space and get worse reception than the external one now in use.

One issue Apple will have is where to put additional antennas to support LTE. They may have to change the design simply to implement the new communications technology.
Quote:

I'd expect to see a curvy back on the new iPhone, it might even be made of aluminium, but a unibody design doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is some amazing new factor we just don't know about driving the design.

There is all sorts of possibilities for a new design. They could even mold antennas into the glass structures.
post #11 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Nope it won't be a replacement at all. Apple could easily support multiple phones though.
post #12 of 96
I could care less. I just returned my new iPad because the goddamn thing won't charge while plugged in. As a matter of fact, that crap shuts down while plugged in when the battery drains. WTF!
post #13 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Nope it won't be a replacement at all. Apple could easily support multiple phones though.

Yes, where multiple phones mean iPhone LTE $199,$299,$399, iPhone 4S $99, iPhone 4 Free.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #14 of 96
Quote:

Sooner or latter Apple will have multiple cell phones.

With the number of LTE operating spectrums in play they might have to do that with the 6th gen iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 96
Cover your sleek new unibody design with THIS bright plastic piece of crap!
post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

...it might even be made of aluminium, but a unibody design doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is some amazing new factor we just don't know about driving the design.

New form factor, or new material? Remember all the excitement over Apple gaining an exclusive license to use Liquidmetal alloys in electronic products? And the claim that they're radio transparent?
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With the number of LTE operating spectrums in play they might have to do that with the 6th gen iPhone.

They did it with the iPhone 4 for China, didn't they? I think there was a China-specific model.

But honestly, I don't think they'll need to have multiple phones for LTE support. I believe the 6th iPhone will be the first to not only not have different models anywhere, but also be the first to show up on Apple's website as just a single phone.

You pick the color, you pick the size, boom. It's shipped to you. Works with any carrier. Move to another carrier? Fine. They can't do squat about it. Screw you, locks.

AT&T has already been beaten. Verizon and Sprint don't even have a say anymore, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

And the claim that they're radio transparent?

Because my memory is worthless, I know I'll keep asking this for years, and I know I've asked it multiple times already, but it isn't, is it? It's NOT radio transparent? I'd like confirmation on that again.

And again. And… again…

post #18 of 96
An iPhone with the same design, and thinness, of an iPod Touch, but with a 4.5" screen would go down very nicely with me. 4" would be acceptable but disappointing. If it's stuck with the piddly little 3.5" screen of the current iPhone I can't see myself ever upgrading my ancient iPhone 4.

It would also be nice to get a Cortex A15 and a Power VR Rogue too. LTE I have zero interest in, as a) there is no LTE in the UK, and b) even if there was, Apple probably wouldn't support it anyway.
post #19 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I actually don't, even though I love the current design. Apple has shown they're on a tick tock cycle with their cases. I figure they'll change the case to something I'll hate, but it also won't matter because they'll make the screen bigger and I'll never buy an iPhone thereafter anyway.

There's actually quite a bit of room to work with in the current design when you consider the border around the current screen, and the width taken up by the antenna bars. (Almost a full cm.)

What if Apple could make a phone with a larger screen that's not significantly larger than the current version? And thinner?
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I could care less. I just returned my new iPad because the goddamn thing won't charge while plugged in. As a matter of fact, that crap shuts down while plugged in when the battery drains. WTF!

*couldn't* care less.
: p
post #21 of 96
I think Apple will increase the screen size just to accomadate a larger battery.

3.9" to 4" is what I am thinking.

I have an iPad and personally don't need or want a larger phone.
post #22 of 96
Quote:

And the claim that they're radio transparent?

I distinctly remember reading on the LiquidMetal web site that LM has electrical resistance of 75 μ Ω in., which I believe would be in conflict with the claim that it was radio transparent.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #23 of 96
iPhone 5: the 6th generation, now with 4G technology!
post #24 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There is a big demand for at least two phone form factors: the current 3.5" and larger 4"-4.5". I imagine one could be called iPhone Classic and the other iPhone Grande.

And yes, Apple can support both sizes without any iOS update. As example all three 13", 15" and 17" MacbookPro can run the same 1280 by 800 resolution. Pixels just get bigger on a bigger size display.

Same story with a smaller iPad.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

iPhone 5: the 6th generation, now with 4G technology!

No, its the New iPhone (fall 2012) with LTE technology

post #26 of 96
Quote:

I believe the 6th iPhone will be the first to not only not have different models anywhere, but also be the first to show up on Apple's website as just a single phone.

You pick the color, you pick the size, boom. It's shipped to you. Works with any carrier. Move to another carrier? Fine. They can't do squat about it. Screw you, locks.

AT&T has already been beaten. Verizon and Sprint don't even have a say anymore, really.

That won't and can't happen. Verizon and Sprint have two different CDMA baseband signature keys. You can add all the frequency support you want, but you can't work around that.
post #27 of 96
Quote:

Because my memory is worthless, I know I'll keep asking this for years, and I know I've asked it multiple times already, but it isn't, is it? It's NOT radio transparent? I'd like confirmation on that again.

Liquidmetal is made primarily from zirconia. It's basically a metalized glass. And Apple released a patent a while back talking about it...

"In the August 7, 2006 filing, published Thursday by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the iPod maker said zirconia -- often used to replicate diamonds for costume jewelry -- offers advantages over other materials, such as aluminum, in that it is structurally strong, stiff and radio transparent. "
post #28 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

There is a big demand for at least two phone form factors: the current 3.5" and larger 4"-4.5".

There's a big demand for 3.5". Not so much for larger…

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That won't and can't happen. Verizon and Sprint have two different CDMA baseband signature keys. You can add all the frequency support you want, but you can't work around that.

Tim Cook: "Hey, Dan, it's Tim. I have Ivan on conference here. I wanted to let you guys know that when your customers come into your stores and ask you to unlock their phones, you're going to do it from now on. Okay? Thanks, guys!"

Done.

Quote:

…zirconia… …is… …radio transparent.

Ooh. OOH. What does this mean, then? A LiquidMetal 802.11ac AirPort family*this year?! I'd buy one. Heck yes I would. And then a LiquidMetal 4th gen Apple TV?

post #29 of 96
1. LiquidMetal Technologies has patented a process rather than a specific alloy. LiquidMetal Technologies has produced more than 2 million antenna using their process for amorphous metal alloys.

2. The new iPhone (iPhone 6th generation) will almost certainly feature not only 4G LTE but DC-HSDPA as well. In February 2012, Three UK announced the start of its trials of DC-HSPDA. Full rollout will begin in Summer 2012. Therefore, for those in the United Kingdom, the new iPhone will almost certainly feature vastly improved cellular connectivity. In fact, some tests have demonstrated better real world speed with DC-HSDPA than 4G LTE.

3. Do not expect the new iPhone to feature a 4.5" or larger screen. You will likely be disappointed.

4. The new iPhone will probably feature vastly improved conformance to the Color Gamut Standard like the new iPad. Previously, color saturation of competitor's devices may have appeared better than Apple products. Apple will set the new standard with 99% Color Gamut Standard conformance.
post #30 of 96
Quote:

They did it with the iPhone 4 for China, didn't they? I think there was a China-specific model.

That was a disabling of the WiFi. What we're talking about is the number of LTE operating bands that will be required for all countries with LTE up and running.

Quote:
But honestly, I don't think they'll need to have multiple phones for LTE support. I believe the 6th iPhone will be the first to not only not have different models anywhere, but also be the first to show up on Apple's website as just a single phone.

What technical infö are you using to come to that conclusion. We already know the MDM9600 in the iPad 3 can't handle more than 2 operating bands which is why we have 18 models instead of 12 in the US and Canada. So the MDM9615, rumoured to be in the next iPhone, will need to support 4 or 6 or 12 operating bands to get sufficient coverage. I can't find any info on the number of operating bands it can support for LTE but I do know that 5 bands for '3G' only appeared less than 2 years ago.

Quote:

That's fine in theory but if the HW can't support it, it can't support it. Then you have the issue of carrier contracts being profitable to vendors which is why they don't simply sell all their products unlocked and contract free.

post #31 of 96
Quote:

There is all sorts of possibilities for a new design. They could even mold antennas into the glass structures.

That is a very interesting idea. Car antennas have been put in glass - but I don't know much about it.

Does every frequency require its own antenna?

Could LiquidMetal be part of the new iPhone's case or chassis?
post #32 of 96
Quote:

I think it's just yours.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #33 of 96
Quote:

There's a big demand for 3.5". Not so much for larger

Actually, I think the demand is for an iPhone sized phone, not so much the screen size. If it were possible to make the screen 4" rather than 3.5" without changing the phone size by reducing the size of the borders, I think a lot of people would be happy with a larger screen.

Quote:

Ooh. OOH. What does this mean, then? A LiquidMetal 802.11ac AirPort family*this year?! I'd buy one. Heck yes I would. And then a LiquidMetal 4th gen Apple TV?

That works for me. I'd love to see what it would do to my LQMT stock.

Quote:

Liquidmetal is made primarily from zirconia. It's basically a metalized glass. And Apple released a patent a while back talking about it...

"In the August 7, 2006 filing, published Thursday by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the iPod maker said zirconia -- often used to replicate diamonds for costume jewelry -- offers advantages over other materials, such as aluminum, in that it is structurally strong, stiff and radio transparent. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I distinctly remember reading on the LiquidMetal web site that LM has electrical resistance of 75 μ Ω in., which I believe would be in conflict with the claim that it was radio transparent.

What you're both missing is that Liquidmetal is not so much a product as a technology. There is a wide range of liquidmetal products based on a wide range of metal alloys. Some are based on zirconium (not zirconia, btw), some on platinum, and some on aluminum, if I remember correctly. Each different alloy will have its own different properties.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #34 of 96
Quote:

You need to understand that the charging system built into the new iPad is designed to give you the advertised uptime when the icon shows full charge. Batterygate is nothing but hysteria. /s
post #35 of 96
Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I think you are confusing two separate things.

Apple has two exclusive world-wide materials use licences (no one else but they can use said material in a mobile device), one is the zirconia stuff, the other is the liquid metal.

Liquid metal is a metalic glass composite and is not radio transparent in that it's mostly metal with small amounts of other materials.

Zirconia is the advanced ceramic with properties very close to something like gorilla glass and *is* radio transparent like all glasses and most ceramics.
post #36 of 96
Quote:

What if Apple could make a phone with a larger screen that's not significantly larger than the current version? And thinner?

Anything bigger than the current size is "significant". People need to have the phone fit in thier pocket without the need for clown pants. /s
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

This is just idiotic. The reason to upgrade is the new features, not the "sleek new look". I expect the 6th gen iPhone to have the same case and look and the 4th and 5th gen iPhones.

I really have to disagree here. The iPhone is a statement of how current and up to date you are with technology. If the new iPhone (that's what it will be called) has a new look, many many people will buy it because it looks different and therefore anyone can tell that you're sporting the latest coolest technology. It might seem idiotic to you but the iPhone makes a statement to others about who you are. And having the (clearly) latest one is an important statement that people want to make.
post #38 of 96
And if in some crazy way the new iPhone does not have true 4G LTE, knock several hundred out of the stock estimates.
post #39 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I think Apple will increase the screen size just to accomadate a larger battery.

3.9" to 4" is what I am thinking.

I think that you are right. A 4 inch retina screen would be significantly bigger for those used to the current models. It would look beautiful, and would require few formatting changes by devs.

Something along those lines could be done within the current iPhone size envelope. And Apple has shown, I think, with the new iPad that insignificant increases in size and weight are acceptable tradeoffs in new products, so I don't expect any slavish conformity to current iPhone specs or industry trends.

Likely any new form will follow function. I would not be surprised if Apple improves the grip on the sides of the phone in order to reduce the bezel width. Maybe a curved back so it can be balanced most easily in a secure grip?
post #40 of 96
Quote:

The patent did not have anything to do with LiquidMetal. It was a process for forming the structural enclosures of cell phones using ceramics and also the use of Y2O3 stabilized zirconia which is not LM. That is the same compound used in jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What you're both missing is that Liquidmetal is not so much a product as a technology. There is a wide range of liquidmetal products based on a wide range of metal alloys. Some are based on zirconium (not zirconia, btw), some on platinum, and some on aluminum, if I remember correctly. Each different alloy will have its own different properties.

I guess I am missing that. I read that LM was an alloy of ZrTi. Can you point to some links of other alloys of LM besides Titanium?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's next iPhone predicted to have redesigned 'sleek' unibody case