or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › As 'iPad' becomes synonymous with 'tablet,' Apple must protect brand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

As 'iPad' becomes synonymous with 'tablet,' Apple must protect brand - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Here's a short list of trademarks that have become generic terms.

Aspirin

Cellophane

Dry ice

Kerosene

Laundromat

Videotape

Bubble Wrap

Dumpster

Jeep

Ping Pong

Q-tips

Scotch tape

Styrofoam

Tarmac

Vaseline

Zipper
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Escalator
Hoover

Yahoo
Blackberry
post #43 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But didn't all the iHaters (especially the ones on this forum conveniently being quiet) crucify Apple back in 2010 for using a name that sounded like a hygiene product, to just about every other insult other the sun? Now it's being considered a generic term to describe a tablet?

Could it be possible that those iHaters simply had zero clue about anything in life? Wow, I'm speechless.

You know who you are too.

It wasnt just the iHaters that criticized the name.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Escalator
Hoover

Hoover used as a verb is limited to those small islands off the coast of France isn't it?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #45 of 74
This could get confusing ... 'Tablet'' as everyone knows is Scottish for fudge ... And not what Americans normally mean by fudge either ... http://britishfood.about.com/od/scot...s/r/tablet.htm
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #46 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This could get confusing ... 'Tablet'' as everyone knows is Scottish for fudge ... And not what Americans normally mean by fudge either ... http://britishfood.about.com/od/scot...s/r/tablet.htm

Confusing? Maybe to you but not to most.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #47 of 74
I think the makers of Kleenex and Band-Aid, although they kept their trademark (unlike escalator and heroin (heroin was a brand name???? Gotta be some comic material there)), are still losers as their products have lost their differentiation.

Let's hope the iPad always stands out.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #48 of 74
Android is also synonymous to dumb/feature phone. In some cases, door stop.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google benefits from the fact that most people do not say they are "Googling" when they use a competitor like Bing or Yahoo.

Sure they do. Lots of people say they're "Googling" something when they're using Wikipedia, or PubMed too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceQuit View Post

I think there is as much risk of this happening as people using the name iPod when they really meant Zune.

People absolutely DO call their (insert cheap mp3 player here) an "iPod" though. I hear it all the time.
post #50 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Here's a short list of trademarks that have become generic terms.

Aspirin

Cellophane

Dry ice

Kerosene

Laundromat

Videotape

Bubble Wrap

Dumpster

Jeep

Ping Pong

Q-tips

Scotch tape

Styrofoam

Tarmac

Vaseline

Zipper

you forgot iPod
post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

heroin was a brand name????

Yep, Bayer's brand of synthetic morphine. Their track record for keeping iconic trademarks is pretty weak!
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Yep, Bayer's brand of synthetic morphine. Their track record for keeping iconic trademarks is pretty weak!

Well, today is a good day. I learned something new.
post #53 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Android is also synonymous to dumb/feature phone. In some cases, door stop.

Ask 2,000 people who makes iOS and my guess is that 60-70% of the people would know just because of the i.

Ask 2,000 people who makes Android and my guess is that it would be less than 10% of the people.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #54 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

you forgot iPod

I left it out because we all know it, plus it was mentioned previously.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

That's a very short-sided thing to say. I agree iPad likely won't become generic, but it won't be long before non-"trash" tablets come out.

It WILL be long (but yes, it could happen) because a tablet is only as good as what you can do with it. Bullet points make good brochures for nerds, but APPS make a good tablet for users. Truly GREAT apps, and a truly large selection of them. No other platform comes close to having that, and if developers do eventually change that, it will take a long time.

It will also be long because Android is the closest to competition, and Android devices don’t get timely OS updates. That makes the devices worse for users, and also feeds the low-quality-apps problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It wasnt just the iHaters that criticized the name.

True. It was everyone who forgot all the ways that “pad” was already a ubiquitous tech term. People who forgot that they constantly use terms like...

- Mouse pad
- Keypad
- Trackpad
- Game pad
- Control pad
- Wrist pad
- Notepad
- And on Star Trek, plain old PADDs...

None of which sounded anything like a feminine product, nor to the zillion other non-tech pads (table pads, mattress pads, chair pads, football pads, etc.) Not until Apple used the term and some 9-year old snickered, and some people jumped to repeat the naughty joke, lacking other reasons to criticize the device
post #56 of 74
Apple can go straight to hell. Their new iPad won't work on ac power once the freaking battery drains. My girlfriend returned my new iPad this past weekend. The manager even over looked the 14 day return policy.
Oh, the screen is pure lust worthy. DAMN IT'S GORGEOUS! But the issue I mentioned couldn't be over looked. Expect a class action lawsuit and a media backlash bigger than antenagate.
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Apple can go straight to hell. Their new iPad won't work on ac power once the freaking battery drains. My girlfriend returned my new iPad this past weekend. The manager even over looked the 14 day return policy.
Oh, the screen is pure lust worthy. DAMN IT'S GORGEOUS! But the issue I mentioned couldn't be over looked. Expect a class action lawsuit and a media backlash bigger than antenagate.

Yep.



Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Their new iPad won't work on ac power once the freaking battery drains.

How common do you think an iPad some faulty component for charging is?

Do you not think it's possible for some CE out of many millions sold to be shipped with a factory fault?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 74
Many of my co-workers are coming up to me and asking about other iPads -- i.e., Sony, Asus, etc. When I try to explain that the iPad is Apple alone, they continue on as if they never heard me. Slowly, the iPad name is becoming synonymous with Tablet.
post #60 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I use Google for most every search I do, but from what I understand Bing offers many if not all of those services. I never use them so i cannot say for sure.

Google does have the best commercialized search engine online. I don't use it anymore though. I boycott them over privacy issues because of how they profile us in their databases (forever), and I now use Bing but there are others that find a niche. Bing is OK. I never have a problem finding what I was looking for within the top 10 choices. I don't search for a living and those who do might disagree with my comment on Bing.
post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

I'm not sure why it's a problem for Apple people to refer to tablets as iPads.

People don't refer to tablets as iPads. No one walks into Best Buy looking for that Samsung iPad. Businesses don't talk about getting their employees iPads and then about how they need to decide which company to get them from. And so on.

All the articles that talk about tablets talk about nothing but iPads because no other company has managed to create a product that is such great hit fodder. NOT because the see all tablets as iPads

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) There was. People were starting to refer to all PMPs as iPods.

2) It look Apple a lot longer to get the lion's share of the PMP market than it did for them to get the lion's share of the tablet market.

3) This is always a concern for a company because they don't want anyone to be able to refer to anything as Coke or as an iPad. You have to fight to keep your Trademark intact but that doesn't mean it's in jeopardy simply because people are using it generically so long as you do your due diligence in protecting it.

The speed with which a thing becomes ubiquitous has no effect on trademark retention. As you note, it's up to the holder to be diligent. So why is there this sudden presumption that Apple will somehow let iPad slip away, but not iPod? I suggest it's the result of fuzzy thinking on the part of one person, followed by thoughtless parroting by people wishing to appear... thoughtful.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Here's a short list of trademarks that have become generic terms.

Aspirin

Cellophane

Dry ice

Kerosene

Laundromat

Videotape

Bubble Wrap

Dumpster

Jeep

Ping Pong

Q-tips

Scotch tape

Styrofoam

Tarmac

Vaseline

Zipper

Well, Jeep and others are still legitimate trademarks so I don't know how you explain that.
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Well, Jeep and others are still legitimate trademarks so I don't know how you explain that.

People still do often refer to any SUV as a "Jeep" though. I went on a "Jeep Jungle Safari" on vacation this winter, the "Jeeps" were all Suzukis. With huge stickers that said "Jeep" on the doors. Chrysler may own the registered trademark, but the name was public domain long before they bought it.
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Well, Jeep and others are still legitimate trademarks so I don't know how you explain that.

I don't think it's so much about a legitimate trademark as it is about public perception. Jeep is often seen as a class of vehicle,although I think that case might be less true these days. Band-Aid had a commercial a while back that used the jingle "I am stuck on Band-Aid brand cause Band-Aid's stuck on me". They put the word brand in there so people wouldn't buy another manufacturers bandages because everyone thinks of Band-Aid as a class of product.
post #66 of 74
I am thinking of buying one of the new Acer iPads when they come out. Looks like an awsome bit of kit.
post #67 of 74
The iPad is the best iPad I have used.
post #68 of 74
I've experienced the reverse. I've talked with many people that say "tablet" and mean "iPad". I've never heard anyone say "iPad" referring to an alternatab.
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That sounds like more of a problem for Best Buy. When that customer gets home and eventually realizes that they were misled and they were not actually sold an iPad, like their friends had told them about or shown them, or that they had heard amazing things about, then they are going to be pretty upset.

moot point... doesn't Best Buy have a return policy?... i know in Canada they do have a return policy no questions asked... so the end up getting pissed at Best Buy and have you go back and get the iPad instead of the "trashy product" they were duped into getting.

dictated to my iPad
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Here's a short list of trademarks that have become generic terms.

Aspirin
Cellophane
Dry ice
Kerosene
Laundromat
Videotape
Bubble Wrap
Dumpster
Jeep
Ping Pong
Q-tips
Scotch tape
Styrofoam
Tarmac
Vaseline
Zipper

You are wrong on a number of these:

Styrofoam:
http://building.dow.com/media/trademark.htm

Jeep:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/...y/dc_vs_gm.pdf

Q-tips:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/...y/dc_vs_gm.pdf

Scotch Tape:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Scotch+Tape

Vaseline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vaseline_Logo.svg
(Although it is considered generic in Spanish and Portuguese according to one report I read).

You are correct about the rest, AFAICT.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Apple can go straight to hell. Their new iPad won't work on ac power once the freaking battery drains. My girlfriend returned my new iPad this past weekend. The manager even over looked the 14 day return policy.
Oh, the screen is pure lust worthy. DAMN IT'S GORGEOUS! But the issue I mentioned couldn't be over looked. Expect a class action lawsuit and a media backlash bigger than antenagate.

Wow- like what did you have to wait like 2 minutes at most for the battery level to go from red to green before it powers on?
Where does it state that it would work if totally drained imediatedly anyway? Every iPod, iPhone and now iPad has always worked that way for me.
Give it up.
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I think the two biggest factors with the iPod case were:
1) There really wasn't a universal name for these devices back then. Some were referred to as MP3 players, others as Portable Media Players, Digital Media Players, etc.

I think that's an excellent point. I think it's one of those thins most of us realize but for some reason never seem to bring up.

I use PMP as a universal, technical term for this forum but I would never use it as a general term. I'd use iPod or MP3 player. I certainly don't like to say MP3 player on this forum to refer to the PMP category here because it's less technical even though the context makes its usage clear.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Not until Apple used the term and some 9-year old snickered, and some people jumped to repeat the naughty joke, lacking other reasons to criticize the device

i recall that moment in time, yes.

sadly, the 'nine (9) year-old mentality' will persist amid online news / discussion groups regardless of company. Apple has been subject to it as well as Sony, Samsung, Microsoft, RIM, Google and dozens of others. it's the price we pay when only an email address is required to join a message board, not reason or civility.
post #74 of 74
In ex-ussr countries SUVs are still referred to as Jeeps. One says e.g. Mitsubishi Jeep, Toyota Jeep.."look how big this Jeep is. " etc.
I like Apples.
Reply
I like Apples.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • As 'iPad' becomes synonymous with 'tablet,' Apple must protect brand
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › As 'iPad' becomes synonymous with 'tablet,' Apple must protect brand