or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor updates roll out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor updates roll out

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday pushed out updates to components in its professional video suite, bringing overall stability improvements along with a few new features.

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.4

Apple's professional video editing software gets updated to version 10.0.4, and brings a list of stability, compatibility and performance improvements. A Share option for 1080p video that works with compatible iOS devices has been added as well as the support for multicam metadata to be included in XML project exports.

From the release notes:
Quote:
Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.4 improves overall stability, performance, and compatibility including:
Improves image quality and responsiveness of broadcast monitoring with compatible third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices.
Improves performance of multicam syncing and editing.
Adds language support for Simplified Chinese.
Adds a Share option for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices.

Final Cut Pro version 10.0.4 also addresses the following issues:
Assigns default audio channel setting for new projects to stereo.
Includes multicam metadata in XML project export.
Fixes an issue in which video superimposed over a background with an alpha channel could appear differently in Viewer before and after render.
Fixes an issue that caused some titles to be rendered again after each application launch.

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.4 is available for download via the Mac App Store.

Motion 5.0.3

The effects module of Final Cut Pro adds stability and performance improvements that, among other, corrects the aspect ratio display of anamorphic clips.

From the release notes:
Quote:
Motion 5.0.3 improves overall stability and performance including:
Improves loading time for projects.
Improves performance of text editing in the Canvas.
Fixes issues with Fill Opaque enabled in images converted to Drop Zones.
Resolves a stability issue that occurred when deleting all characters with the Transform Glyph tool.
Corrects the pixel aspect ratio display of Anamorphic clips.
Improves speed of Save Current Frame.
Resolves a stability issue when adjusting motion blur controls in the Project Properties Inspector.
Resolves a stability issue when modifying media files while Motion is running in the background.

Motion 5.0.3 is available through the Mac App Store.

Compressor 4.0.3

Final Cut Pro's export tool gets a minor update with overall performance tweaks including running the program as an encoding node sans monitor.

Quote:
This update adds functionality and improves overall performance including:
Ability to run Compressor as an encoding node on a Mac without a monitor.
Fixes an issue with exporting when logged in as an Open Directory user.
Improves performance when encoding mp4 and AVI files.

Compressor 4.0.3 is available now on the Mac App Store.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 39
So what about those of us who purchased some or all of these programs before Apple went to the desktop App Store for updates? Are we doomed to manual updates?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So what about those of us who purchased some or all of these programs before Apple went to the desktop App Store for updates? Are we doomed to manual updates?

You can't be getting these updates unless you bought from the App Store because these are the App Store-only applications. Right? These're all the new ones that came out alongside FCPX, yeah?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #4 of 39
Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.
Yes having crows for their 3 meals.
To those who had jumped ship - too bad.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So what about those of us who purchased some or all of these programs before Apple went to the desktop App Store for updates? Are we doomed to manual updates?

You're going to waste a word like doomed here man? What happens when you're actually doomed? Now you have no word for then dude.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So what about those of us who purchased some or all of these programs before Apple went to the desktop App Store for updates? Are we doomed to manual updates?

What Tallest said.
These were never available outside of the App Store.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.

Probably what they always said - that FCP X was released about a year too early.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #8 of 39
By the lack of whining it's clear these products are getting closer to addressing those concerns.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Probably what they always said - that FCP X was released about a year too early.

Just like FCP was when it first came out. I remember all the uproar over the feature and stability issues very well.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

By the lack of whining it's clear these products are getting closer to addressing those concerns.

"No, all us pros just moved to real solutions that fit our needs."

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't be getting these updates unless you bought from the App Store because these are the App Store-only applications. Right? These're all the new ones that came out alongside FCPX, yeah?

No, I have Motion 5.0 and it was not purchased from the App Store. It was previously updated via Software Update. Apple has no upgrade path for transitioning to the App Store, evidently.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

What Tallest said.
These were never available outside of the App Store.

Where did you get that idea?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where did you get that idea?

I suppose there's now some confusion in what you meant by 'manual updates', then.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.
Yes having crows for their 3 meals.
To those who had jumped ship - too bad.

Don't hang around post houses much? No one is eating any crow. They're using the tools that fit their needs.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"No, all us pros just moved to real solutions that fit our needs."

LOL...listen to this guy, he thinks Apple is targeting the fuddy duddy AB Roll editors of the old days. Apple thinks way ahead as we have seen time and time again, in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do. FCP X is way ahead in more of a story based editing fashion than the antiquated ways of old. The teeny boppers are the new editors of the future. ......These are the same guys that cried when MP3's were replacing CDs.....LOL....The so-called "Pros".......have fun while it lasts
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

LOL...listen to this guy, he thinks Apple is targeting the fuddy duddy AB Roll editors of the old days. Apple thinks way ahead as we have seen time and time again, in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do. FCP X is way ahead in more of a story based editing fashion than the antiquated ways of old. The teeny boppers are the new editors of the future. ......These are the same guys that cried when MP3's were replacing CDs.....LOL....The so-called "Pros".......have fun while it lasts



I genuinely can't tell if you think that's my actual position or if you're just continuing this line of satirical mockery of the people complaining about changes in FCPX… And maybe that's just because it's late.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

LOL...listen to this guy, he thinks Apple is targeting the fuddy duddy AB Roll editors of the old days. Apple thinks way ahead as we have seen time and time again, in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do. FCP X is way ahead in more of a story based editing fashion than the antiquated ways of old. The teeny boppers are the new editors of the future. ......These are the same guys that cried when MP3's were replacing CDs.....LOL....The so-called "Pros".......have fun while it lasts

No, that's not actually happening at all.

Sorry.

I like how fanboys rush to tell post production professionals what they do and do not need, and how they're all dinosaurs who are terrible at picking up new tech.

You don't work in the business, you don't understand the business and you cannot speak to how the business operates and what it's like to produce broadcast-quality product.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

No, that's not actually happening at all.

Sorry.

I like how fanboys rush to tell post production professionals what they do and do not need, and how they're all dinosaurs who are terrible at picking up new tech.

You don't work in the business, you don't understand the business and you cannot speak to how the business operates and what it's like to produce broadcast-quality product.

I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Just like FCP was when it first came out. I remember all the uproar over the feature and stability issues very well.

Who has the time to remember history these days... The nerve.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #20 of 39
As operations manager at a post facility with several FCP and Avid systems I have to say that FCP X was a non-event. Yes, we were surprised somewhat at the lack of certain features, but our FCP 7 systems all kept working and they are still working. So while we wait for FCP X to get sorted out we continue to work as we always have. I never understood these people who did a lot of Internet shouting that they were leaving for Premiere or Avid or whatever. Sorry, but Steve Jobs didn't come steal your existing FCP 7 license in the night. Whats the big deal?
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.

So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?

Seriously doubt it.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, I have Motion 5.0 and it was not purchased from the App Store. It was previously updated via Software Update. Apple has no upgrade path for transitioning to the App Store, evidently.

Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Where was Motion 5 available other than the App Store? I bought it within a week of release last July and was sure it was only available through the App Store.

Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.


That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mKunert View Post

So you're stating that Men in Black was cut on FCP X?

Seriously doubt it.

Are you an idiot? He's saying there is a paradigm shift in video editing happening and anyone saying there isn't is deluded.

He used his Men in Black cred to highlight that he's not just some teenage fanboy in love with Apple products.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bought it as part of the Final Cut Studio "box set", then upgraded via Software Update to version 5.

LOL... NOT!!

Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

...in 2 years, Adobe and Avid will be scrambling to copy Apple like they always do.

Well Adobe added a magnetic timeline-like feature to Photoshop 6 so it looks like they might be starting already.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Now what will those experts who condemned FCPX and calling it iMovie pro has to say.
Yes having crows for their 3 meals.
To those who had jumped ship - too bad.

They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.

Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckFuddy View Post

LOL... NOT!!

Dude, that's complete NONSENSE. If you bought Final Cut Studio then you at the very most have Motion 4 and there most certainly was NEVER some Motion 5 upgrade available via Software Update... oh, puh-leeeeeze. So either you're full of it and you might want to get your eyes and software checked, or you're shooting for giggles and/or confusion with a really lame shtick. Since otherwise it's pretty effin' embarrassing when you repeatedly get all miffed in public over something NON-EXISTENT.


For your consideration, the history of the Final Cut Pro Studio "box set"

Went as high as FCP 7, Motion 4, and Compressor 3.5, plus a bunch of stuff that's been EOLed.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

That sounds like a bug in their upgrade system.

Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store
Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3? Very weird.

Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

They're probably going to say something like "congratulations on a minor point upgrade release.

Really, there's nothing terribly groundbreaking here. 0.3 was a much bigger deal.

True, but monitoring for broadcast and multicam work has not been smooth, even if they had been added features months ago. If this update does fix the quirks there that will be important, because really those two important aspects have not been solved to date. Plus, the last update didn't really address enough how it behaves with long form content, so if Apple finally puts THAT together, under "overall performance and stability" that would be a very good development.

I'm rooting for FCPX, not against it. OTOH, the last Logic Pro and Aperture (especially) updates were two steps forward and one and a half back, so let's see how this goes.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, I just went to the desktop (OSX) App Store, found Motion in their listings and it curiously had the word "Install" on the 'buy' button. I clicked on "Install" and it said:
Motion 5.0 is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store
Do you want to buy Motion 5.0.3? Very weird.

Weren't the updates after 5.0 free?

I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.

A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.

It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I experienced a similar bug. I wanted to buy Aperture 3 and had Aperture 2 on my system. It wouldn't let me buy Aperture 3 no matter what I did. I even uninstalled Aperture 2.

A few weeks later the bug was fixed, and the Installed button changed to Buy.

It sounds like what's happening is that it sees your Motion 5, but doesn't find any proof of purchase. My Motion 5 updates have been free.

Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, I searched my computer just in case my memory on this issue was faulty, and I found that I had purchased the $49.99 update to Motion 5.0 last year... I found my iTunes receipt. At that time, was there a desktop App Store? I do not recall exactly how I managed to get Motion 5.0 on my iMac, which IS recognized by the system as being purchased from Apple, yet it cannot give me the updates. Bizarre. I'm thinking maybe I had it installed when I bought my new system...? At any rate, even if it was installed at the store level, what would explain the problem with not being able to update the application?

Yes there was an App Store then.


Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.
post #35 of 39
After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyClose View Post

After upgrading to the latest versions of FCP X, Compressor and Motion, submitting to a Cluster (e.g. from FCP X, or from Compressor via "This Computer Plus") is no longer available. Did something change with Clusters? Also, Share Monitor no longer shows my Cluster. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Same problem here.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Yes there was an App Store then.


Do you by any chance have Spotlight set to not index the Applications folder? If you do, then your apps won't show as being able to update. I had done that and after I allowed the Applications folder to be indexed by Spotlight the issue went away.

No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.

Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, not a Spotlight issue. I cleared it up by calling Apple. They told me to Open the Mac App Store, go to the "Purchases" tab, click on the "Install" button, which in turn asked for my password, which in turn started a download of the update.

Weird. It sounded like it was not an uncommon problem.

Glad you got it sorted. I went through multiple emails with support. In the end, I found the Spotlight solution on the net.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I worked on "Men in Black"....is that pro enough for you?? Its absolutely happening, get out of your delusion.

It's not a delusion, sorry. All of this fanboyish talk of "new paradigms" and nonsense like that is just a bunch of words with no actual meaning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor updates roll out