or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch

Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch

post #1 of 62
Apple's Online Store was down on Tuesday night and the company took the opportunity to roll out a new "We'll be back" sign. Also, Nokia is now offering a $100 credit on its $99 Lumia 900 flagship smartphone after a software bug affecting data connections was discovered.

We'll be back

The notification page for down time on Apple's online store has changed from the sticky note theme that had been used for years to a linen theme reminiscent of iOS. The wording of the note also underwent some subtle changes.

The older version of the sign read: "We'll be back soon. We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly," while the new version reads: "We'll be back. We're busy updating the Apple Store for you and will be back soon."

The cause of Tuesday evening's down time is not yet known. It is most likely a routine update, though some have speculated that it could be related to an expected MacBook Pro refresh.

Top: New "We'll be back" sign; Bottom: Apple's old sign

Lumia bug

After a number of owners of Nokia's new Lumia 900 Windows Phone reported trouble with data connections, the Finnish handset maker has confirmed the software glitch to AllThingsD. Devices with the fix are on their way to AT&T stores and a software update will be available on April 16.

According to Nokia executive Chris Weber, the glitch is caused by a memory-management issue and is not a problem with the hardware or AT&T's network.

To make amends, Nokia told the publication that it will offer a $100 credit to all Lumia 900 buyers. Since the device costs $99 on contract, the company is basically offering the phone for free. The credit is available to any customers who buy the handset before 12 a.m. pacific on April 21.

“The customer always comes first, and I think we’re showing it here,” Weber said.

The Lumia 900 had a quiet launch on Sunday in part because many stores were closed for the Easter holiday. Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter.

AT&T has reportedly spent as much as $150 million on the Lumia 900 launch. One preorder promotion from the carrier offered the handset for free.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lumia bug

After a number of owners of Nokia's new Lumia 900 Windows Phone reported trouble with data connections, the Finnish handset maker has confirmed the software glitch to AllThingsD. Devices with the fix are on their way to AT&T stores and a software update will be available on April 16.

According to Nokia executive Chris Weber, the glitch is caused by a memory-management issue and is not a problem with the hardware or AT&T's network.

To make amends, Nokia told the publication that it will offer a $100 credit to all Lumia 900 buyers. Since the device costs $99 on contract, the company is basically offering the phone for free. The credit is available to any customers who buy the handset before 12 a.m. pacific on April 21.

The customer always comes first, and I think were showing it here, Weber said.

The Lumia 900 had a quiet launch on Sunday in part because many stores were closed for the Easter holiday. Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter.

AT&T has reportedly spent as much as $150 million on the Lumia 900 launch. One preorder promotion from the carrier offered the handset for free.

Beta testing indeed.
post #3 of 62
"Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter."

I wonder if it's right to actually call these "sales", when they're basically giving the product away for free? I mean, first AT&T did a 'get one free' pre-order promo on a NEW product (which I'm sure comprised the bulk of their pre-order "sales"), and now due to a glitch, the product will remain free for another 10 days...

There will always be plenty of low hanging fruit to "buy" a free, supposedly cutting edge smartphone handset… above that line, there is a significant challenge to this handset's market entry.

So, is this going to compete with iPhone? Probably not… these Lumia 900 "buyers" were probably not likely to be iPhone customers in the very near future anyway...
post #4 of 62
The store seems back up, and I don't see a change in the MBPs.

I wonder what they were changing?
post #5 of 62
Quote:

According to Nokia executive Chris Weber, the glitch is caused by a memory-management issue [...]

What? Memory management is the responsibility of the OS.
Sounds fishy to me. Maybe Microsoft is trying to protect Nokia's reputation.

Quote:

AT&T has ]reportedly spent as much as $150 million on the Lumia 900 launch. One preorder promotion from the carrier offered the handset for free. [...]
Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter. [...]

So let's do some quick math here. $150 million on the launch, which should last a few months at most.
140,000 sales per quarter, presumably including the launch quarter.

$150,000,000 / 140,000 buyers in launch quarter = $1,071.43 per buyer in launch quarter.

Sounds like a LOT of money spent per buyer. Especially since the phone is free until April 21.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #6 of 62
Windows strikes again!
post #7 of 62
could anyone write a better comedy script.
post #8 of 62
You can't polish a turd now can you?
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You can't polish a turd now can you?

Of course you can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI...
post #10 of 62
Sorry, our product is such a crap that we give it to you for free. What ? You don't want it ?
post #11 of 62
One "analyst" reckons 140,000 units for the quarter

Nokia giving $100 back until 21april, with most keen buyers purchasing during launch phase.

AT&T spending $150million on ad campaign for launch phase.

As said above, this is not making money.
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarsky View Post

Windows strikes again!

BPOD: Blue Phone Of Death.

post #13 of 62
If I were cynical, I'd call this a ploy on Nokias part to a) boost press coverage and b) make a grab for a few more customers who, without even havning any issues with the phone, can apparently get it for free if they purchase before the deadline.

If I were cynical.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

could anyone write a better comedy script.

Umm...THIS JUST IN: In anticipation of crashes requiring a cold restart, Nokia has made blue the standard color of their new phones.

The new Nokia Lumia 900 is reported to randomly scream, "Developers" in a crazed male voice. This is particularly disconcerting late at night. According to Nokia executive Chris Weber, the glitch is caused by a Microsoft-management issue.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #15 of 62
So much for the hubris of Nokia/Microsoft in calling out iPhone and Android devices as betas and now they're reduced to giving away their beta hero phone. Keep in mind Windows honks, there is no free lunch; it’s a two year contract on AT&T.
post #16 of 62
Launching their premier phone on Easter Sunday. What were they thinking. Either they're very stupid or they wanted a quiet launch coz even they don't think it will sell that well.
post #17 of 62
Test, re-test, over and over and over, then do a broader deployed test with Enterprise clients under NDA if you have to, but don't set it out with a big splash when such basic functionality results in a bug that hits you in the wallet and results in free phones.

Management and quality control heads should roll.
post #18 of 62
What is it about these companies that make them feel compelled to give away their products for free?
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #19 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

a ploy on Nokias part to a) boost press coverage and b) make a grab for a few more customers who, without even havning any issues with the phone, can apparently get it for free if they purchase before the deadline.

Exactly my thoughts. It's a push to get more people to pick up the phone and help boost their Quarter Sales numbers. I'd love to see this in the media with those beta ads knocking the phones that truly WORKED on launch. ;-)
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The store seems back up, and I don't see a change in the MBPs.

I wonder what they were changing?

Probably they just updated some parts of their site back-end in preparation for new stuff coming later this month. I've seen the 'we'll be back' thing without any product updates on multiple occasions, just before the site got a big update.
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Beta testing indeed.

So what do you call all the reported WiFi and 3G issues associated with the new iPad then?
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So what do you call all the reported WiFi and 3G issues associated with the new iPad then?

Does not applied to me I'm afraid
White 32 Wi-Fi + 4G (not LTE)

*Also, nothing change in the store. What's new, eh?
post #23 of 62
Quote:

I would call it NO ISSUE - there is nothing wrong with my new iPad!
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

I would call it NO ISSUE - there is nothing wrong with my new iPad!

Agreed, my family has had no issues our new iPads.

I have come to strongly believe that there is a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure
Will decry the slightest perceived flaws
Will deride proponents of same

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia. Success for Microsoft and Nokia are not really competing directly with the Apple iPhone, they are competing with Google, et al.
post #25 of 62
Quote:

The customer always comes first, and I think were showing it here, Weber said.

This is the kind of action that Apple should have taken with the iPhone four. Not that much money, but just admitting it made a mistake...

Apple didn't because they thought they had control of everyone's minds (news, individuals, etc) and people wouldn't notice??!

Based on phone glitches and problems it has just been confirmed that Nokia cares more about the customer than Apple does... They are willing to admit they made a mistake without having to insist it isn't a problem and than trying to cover it up... only to admit it later.

That being said if this sells over 100,000 units i am gonna be suprised... Windows 7.5 phone just isn't polished and for the price you can get a better OS from Apple...

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia. Success for Microsoft and Nokia are not really competing directly with the Apple iPhone, they are competing with Google, et al.

I couldn't agree more.

MS and Nokia are trying to do something genuinely new, innovative, and different here. Much as I am not a fan of either company, I hope they sort out these teething troubles quickly and the phone does well in the marketplace. (At the expense of Google, of course).
post #27 of 62
I was hoping to see some product updates, but I don't. I thought maybe the Air was updated, but couldn't tell without the (new) badge on the corner of their icons. I didn't know Apple already upgraded them to i5/i7 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Agreed, my family has had no issues with the new iPad.

I have come to strongly believe that there is a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure
Will decry the slightest perceived flaws
Will deride proponents of same

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia.

It's hard to tell. I think it's probably more the bandwagoning effect. You'll always see detractors, but whether any of the detractors are the same in most or all circumstances, is hard to know.
post #28 of 62
Sounds like the same issue affecting my 4S at times. It'll just drop data and I have to cycle airplane mode for it to work.
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"Analyst projections for Lumia 900 sales this quarter vary widely, with one analyst expecting as few as 140,000 sales a quarter."

There's no point in looking at analyst projections. First, the number quoted was long before anyone had even seen the phone, so it's hard to imagine how anyone would have any idea how well it would sell at that point. It actually turns out to be a pretty decent phone, albeit with some significant limitations. It could sell reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I wonder if it's right to actually call these "sales", when they're basically giving the product away for free? I mean, first AT&T did a 'get one free' pre-order promo on a NEW product (which I'm sure comprised the bulk of their pre-order "sales"), and now due to a glitch, the product will remain free for another 10 days....

As always, please learn how things work. Even for a phone which is listed as 'free' on the carrier's sites (or a $99 phone with $100 rebate as in this case), the phone manufacturer is getting a great deal of money and the consumer is paying a great deal of extra money. The carriers essentially front the money for the phone and then collect it back from the consumer over time. From Nokia's perspective, this is not a 'free' phone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Sorry, our product is such a crap that we give it to you for free. What ? You don't want it ?

MS/Nokia can't afford ANY slip-ups. Not at this stage. They're teetering on the very edge as it is.

When Apple can confidently say "you're holding it wrong" and consumers barely even hear it over the noise of them tripping over each other to get their hands on Apple products, the ill-conceived MS/Nokia marriage is up against all that Apple mindshare. One major f-up and it's game over.

And according to the latest, it doesn't look too good:

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-2-m...ces-sold-in-q1
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Beta testing indeed.

Guess this must have affected all 10 users.
post #32 of 62
Nokia stock down 16.5% in pre-market after it cut guidance.

The Lumia 900 is doing well on Amazon.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #33 of 62
Quote:
The Lumia 900 is doing well on Amazon.

All things being relative. Those rankings are in the category "Cell Phones with Service". If you move to the parent category, "Cell Phones & Accessories" the cyan model ranks #81 -- two places below the InSassy Pink/Blue Cassette Tape Case / Skin / Cover for Apple iPhone. The Black model is #53, directly above the Disney 3d Stitch Movable Ear Flip Hard Case Cover for Iphone 4/4s.

So Amazon is selling slightly more Black Lumia 900s then they are iPhone cases based on the little blue Disney monster, Stich.
post #34 of 62
Quote:

Apple never aired a commercial claiming every other tablet or phone is a beta test because it have an issue.
post #35 of 62
Quote:

Those are called "Lies".
post #36 of 62
after osx 10.7 and ios 5, people going to make fun of competitors software bugs? Glass houses for everyone.
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MS/Nokia can't afford ANY slip-ups. Not at this stage. They're teetering on the very edge as it is.

When Apple can confidently say "you're holding it wrong" and consumers barely even hear it over the noise of them tripping over each other to get their hands on Apple products, the ill-conceived MS/Nokia marriage is up against all that Apple mindshare. One major f-up and it's game over.

And according to the latest, it doesn't look too good:

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-2-m...ces-sold-in-q1

Yes they can. Windows 8 is when they cannot afford slip-ups.

also note, as i posted earlier this "f-up" is better than Apple's.

MS and Nokia understand that when something doesn't work, you fix it, or something because of the problems it caused.

Apple seems to be growing farther and farther away from wanting to the best with consumers... (in terms of honestly and correcting mistakes)

post #38 of 62
Nokia's response to this issue is outstanding. Promise a quick fix, give current customers a credit to their bill, and best of all: zero hiding from the issue. Good to see that they understand good customer service in light of a serious issue.
iPod touch 8 GB (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)
iPod touch 8 GB (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)
post #39 of 62
I am impressed. They remembered everything they learned from Xbox's Red Ring of Death saga. It might cost them almost a billion but the goodwill generated afterward helped won customers over, and developers followed suit.

You remembered what happened to Playstation 3 when Sony pretend there was no trouble in paradise, right?

Jobs era Apple may prefer to hide glitches and bugs to keep its image of the perfection. Now Jobs is dead, would Tim or whoever succeed him have some humility to own up mistakes and offer to fix it, sincere or otherwise, if it happens again?

Asian customers Apple will be rely on for another 10 years don't mind if you show them you are flesh and blood humans, and owned up to your actions.
post #40 of 62
The old sign was better. The post-it note suggested temporariness to the downtime, while the new solid looking sign is a visual contradiction, since they'll be back soon, but the sign looks built to last.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch