or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch

Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddybulldog View Post

So Amazon is selling slightly more Black Lumia 900s then they are iPhone cases based on the little blue Disney monster, Stich.

From this we can conclude ... Wait - what can we conclude from this?
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddybulldog View Post

All things being relative. Those rankings are in the category "Cell Phones with Service". If you move to the parent category, "Cell Phones & Accessories" the cyan model ranks #81 -- two places below the InSassy Pink/Blue Cassette Tape Case / Skin / Cover for Apple iPhone. The Black model is #53, directly above the Disney 3d Stitch Movable Ear Flip Hard Case Cover for Iphone 4/4s.

So Amazon is selling slightly more Black Lumia 900s then they are iPhone cases based on the little blue Disney monster, Stich.

I'm not sure what you're getting it. It's erroneous to count accessories as a claim that a product is failing. The iPhone 4/4S design has how many unit on the market right now? Over 100 million?

The iPhone 4/4S doesn't even show up in the first 100 products. I think only 2 Lumia devices are the only non-accessory items. Yet, we know the iPhone is the most popular and successful phone on the market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So let's do some quick math here. $150 million on the launch, which should last a few months at most.
140,000 sales per quarter, presumably including the launch quarter.

$150,000,000 / 140,000 buyers in launch quarter = $1,071.43 per buyer in launch quarter.

Sounds like a LOT of money spent per buyer. Especially since the phone is free until April 21.

Wow, Microsoft is actually doing a lot better this time. Remember the 'Kin? Microsoft spent $62,500 to sell each one of those. And that's just in the acquisition cost of Danger, they spent even more on development over 2 years and marketing.
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

What is it about these companies that make them feel compelled to give away their products for free?

Going for market share?
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Wow, Microsoft is actually doing a lot better this time.

Say what you will, but MS is a quick learner. You don't have to worry about their first attempt, but beware what Microsoft comes up with after that...
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Probably they just updated some parts of their site back-end in preparation for new stuff coming later this month. I've seen the 'we'll be back' thing without any product updates on multiple occasions, just before the site got a big update.

Gotcha. Thanks. That totally makes sense.
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Nokia's response to this issue is outstanding. Promise a quick fix, give current customers a credit to their bill, and best of all: zero hiding from the issue. Good to see that they understand good customer service in light of a serious issue.

A couple of minutes of testing would have avoided the issue entirely.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Nokia's response to this issue is outstanding. Promise a quick fix, give current customers a credit to their bill, and best of all: zero hiding from the issue. Good to see that they understand good customer service in light of a serious issue.

There's two reasons they did it. One, because they advertised their blue slab as being out of beta as compared to iPhone/Android. So with a major bug that clearly indicates their slab is no less a beta than the others, now they're forced to eat some embarrassing and costly humble pie to make it up to the customers that bought into their bogus marketing claims.

The 2nd reason is likely due to Nokia and/or MS being in a full panic mode and needing desperately to get millions of these hero slabs into customers hands so they can get market share above a sliver. So now they're giving away the phone (with a 2 year contract of course) to make that happen but it's going to have a serious impact on Nokia's bottom line - you know the telcos aren't eating that $100 discount.
post #49 of 62
I think it would have been OK to have kept the old sign forever.

It had sort of a cutesy connection with Apple's roots: making things that benefit you in real life.

There is a sort of cold corporateness with the new sign that loses the endearing effect the other one had.

The font also has a clumsy inner shadow, but I digress...

the post it note idea was great as to what it represented in everyday life.

I am one of the few who loves change. WHEN it is for the better. Unfortunately, this one is a miss.

I can see a lot of refinement over Job's leadership with Cook at the helm. He is the right man and he definitely has strengths that Jobs did not. However, I do hope that he remains firm about getting the smallest of details right as well.
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple never aired a commercial claiming every other tablet or phone is a beta test because it have an issue.

You must have watched a different video to me, the ones I saw were commenting on significant issues with phones, didn't see any mention of tablets. This is a small issue affecting some users, Apple has an issue with the new iPad also affecting users, yet there is still no response from Apple regarding their real problem.
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

What is it about these companies that make them feel compelled to give away their products for free?

They aren't giving it away for free
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Agreed, my family has had no issues our new iPads.

I have come to strongly believe that there is a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure
Will decry the slightest perceived flaws
Will deride proponents of same

Having said that, I don't wish ill for Microsoft and Nokia. Success for Microsoft and Nokia are not really competing directly with the Apple iPhone, they are competing with Google, et al.

So using your logic there is no issue with the Lumia 900, it is just a subsection of society that:

Applauds any failure
Will decry the slightest perceived flaws
Will deride proponents of same
post #53 of 62
Are Nokia really giving the phone away? Might seem like that to the customer, but surely they're not selling the phone to AT&T for 99 bucks.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Same with the iPhone 4.

In order to keep views of a handset maker telling you all of its problems and things to avoid when you get it equal i use what manufactures do.

Apple has a problem in the phone market based on the iPhone 4 issues--they are not willing to admit that something didn't work as they intended, even if only a few people were effected.

They required tons of media attention and consumer attention before they would admit it.

Based on this, vs nokia's quick response to an issue they didn't think would occur i would say that Nokia cares more about each costumer right now (Than Apple).

I think this is partially because of Apple's insanely high profit and Steve Job's egotistic streak (based on what i understood from the official biography)

Based on what has happened with phone companies and phones, etc, anyone who supports Apple has no right to insult a handset manufacturer THAT WILLINGLY QUICKLY fixes the problems they have.

And Lumia 900 (and the other two models) are disappointing from what i drew from the Anandtech review(s)... The iphone is much better in most regards. However, Nokia will spread windows phone into many rising economic powerhouses/countries.

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

Apple has a problem in the phone market based on the iPhone 4 issues--they are not willing to admit that something didn't work as they intended, even if only a few people were affected.

Right, Apple sold this 'defective' iPhone4 as its' premier model for 18 months, which was a longer period than any previous iPhone. This same defective iPhone4 broke every smartphone sales record there was and Apple continues to sell it today.

/s

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

Same with the iPhone 4.

In order to keep views of a handset maker telling you all of its problems and things to avoid when you get it equal i use what manufactures do.

Apple has a problem in the phone market based on the iPhone 4 issues--they are not willing to admit that something didn't work as they intended, even if only a few people were effected.

They required tons of media attention and consumer attention before they would admit it.

Based on this, vs nokia's quick response to an issue they didn't think would occur i would say that Nokia cares more about each costumer right now (Than Apple).

I think this is partially because of Apple's insanely high profit and Steve Job's egotistic streak (based on what i understood from the official biography)

Based on what has happened with phone companies and phones, etc, anyone who supports Apple has no right to insult a handset manufacturer THAT WILLINGLY QUICKLY fixes the problems they have.

I'm still not convinced the iPhone 4 had a problem. The real-world reception isn't any worse than other devices on AT&T networks, and there hasn't been a media storm outside the US for the same device, making the correlation closer to a carrier that's always had a poor reputation anyway, rather than the device.
post #57 of 62
"Apple's Online Store was down on Tuesday night and the company took the opportunity to roll out a new 'We'll be back' sign."

This is cute. It sounds like a new "We'll be back" sign was a new product that Apple has been waiting to launch, just waiting for the chance that the online store goes down.
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm still not convinced the iPhone 4 had a problem. The real-world reception isn't any worse than other devices on AT&T networks, and there hasn't been a media storm outside the US for the same device, making the correlation closer to a carrier that's always had a poor reputation anyway, rather than the device.

Problem or not - it's relative, I suppose. But there's no question it was an inferior antenna in general. Unfortunately, the blogosphere is not populated by engineers and therefore the real message was muddled. Furthermore, smartphones in general suffer from the same "problem", which is why other companies could not make an issue out of this.
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

I would call it NO ISSUE - there is nothing wrong with my new iPad!

So if it doesn't happen to you, you don't care. Probably why most people think Apple users are assholes.

Well I can tell you that there are plenty of people in the Apple forums complaining about these problems and they get nothing but silence from Apple, or a replacement iPad with exactly the same problem.

I have an iPad that can't connect to 3G without a reboot and Apple has no comment. At least Nokia admits their problems and does something about it.
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Oh get off it all phone manufactures run into issues it's how they respond that is important. Apple isn't excluded from this either and by the way they fixed it. Three days before they promised to, that's one of the quickest responses I have ever seen a company do. Class act Nokia, keep it up. Apple would never give out a cash credit for a problem heck it pretty much takes a class action suit for Apple to omit to a problem.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I did have a problem, out of all of my phones the iPhone 4 always got the worst reception especially inside a building. It was kind of fixed about 4 months after I got it. Still wasn't as good as my other phones though.
post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Right, Apple sold this 'defective' iPhone4 as its' premier model for 18 months, which was a longer period than any previous iPhone. This same defective iPhone4 broke every smartphone sales record there was and Apple continues to sell it today.

/s

Right and that's why they lost a class action suit because nothing was wrong.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: New Apple Store downtime sign; Lumia 900 free after data glitch