or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia warns of 'disappointing' smartphone sales in first half of 2012

Nokia warns of 'disappointing' smartphone sales in first half of 2012 - Page 3

post #81 of 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's the difference between Android users and iOS users. We're fine with something that actually works, and works well. We'll keep our cars well-maintained for fifteen years or more. They're the ones that buy a brand new car every six months because they can't stand even looking at their old car for that long.

Case in point, me. I drive a seventeen year old van that is, as of only a few months ago, on its last legs. Nice little thing. Until this most recent problem with the engine, I got a better MPG rating on it than it was supposed to get when it was brand new. I treat my stuff with respect and it responds in kind.

Geez, you newer car drivers! :p  My daily driver is about to hit 25!   It's not the top of the line in performance today, but it outperforms 90%+ of what's on the streets despite having almost 200K miles on it.  Mechanically it's in great condition, admittedly the interior needs refreshing as ~25 years of sunlight takes it's toll, but nice sheepskins keep the seats comfy.

Yeah, the basic quality over flash argument goes a long way with the Old Guard.

post #82 of 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's the difference between Android users and iOS users. We're fine with something that actually works, and works well. We'll keep our cars well-maintained for fifteen years or more. They're the ones that buy a brand new car every six months because they can't stand even looking at their old car for that long.

Case in point, me. I drive a seventeen year old van that is, as of only a few months ago, on its last legs. Nice little thing. Until this most recent problem with the engine, I got a better MPG rating on it than it was supposed to get when it was brand new. I treat my stuff with respect and it responds in kind.

And that's fine. Phones are certainly powerful enough now to provide the same experience you would get from an Apple ][ in 1977. But they're not desktop replacements, nor are they designed or meant to be.

I just wonder why you bother being here if it's so much better. "I use what's best for me in every situation, so I use some Apple products." That's fine, whatever. Do you REALLY have to keep hitting us with your squeaky inflatable Android mallet in every single thread for NO reason other than to tout Android's "superiority"?

Look I only post about Android in reply to a post about Android. I have never, ever come out of blue and just write about Android. This is a Apple site but for some reason Android sure comes up a whole lot, so if you can get everyone to stop talking about Android then I will stop replying to the posts. Wait what is this thread, Nokia sucks and will die soon, should have bought Apple stock to save company. Yea I don't see people stopping with these silly threads or posts about other company's product's or OS's anytime soon, so I'll have plenty to do.

Oh and please tell me your computer is newer then 15 years of age. If car technology would move as quicky as computer technology yes I think you would want a new car every year.

1977 huh, I can run any modern Linux disto with ease on a dual core phone with 1GB that is more then capable of running any program. Open Office, Gimp, Blender, C++ compile, CITRIX, Eclipse, ect. I really don't think you know what kind of power your carrying in your pocket.

Edited by Relic - 4/24/12 at 4:53pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #83 of 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Oh and please tell me your computer is newer then 15 years of age. If car technology would move as quicky as computer technology yes I think you would want a new car every year.

Or maybe you can learn what is really slowing your machine down and address that directly.  I have a 2007 MBP with a sizeable SSD plopped in it and it outperforms a 2011 MBP with a spinning drive.  You would think that the new machine would be about 8x faster (3 full generations) given a basic tech corollary to Moore's Law of doubled performance to go with the doubling in transistors.  But guess what? You would be way wrong.  The drive accesses are so profound a performance bottleneck that making those 200x faster more than makes up for the small but very expensive performance gains you would get from buying a new machine.

It's that old age and treachery thing, only we substitute knowledge for the treachery part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

1977 huh, I can run any modern Linux disto with ease on a dual core phone with 1GB that is more then capable of running any program. Open Office, Gimp, Blender, C++ compile, CITRIX, Eclipse, ect. I really don't think you know what kind of power your carrying in your pocket.

I can tell you are about the spec, and don't really know what that power is and is not capable of.  

We could run a modern Linux distro on an old x386 box and get quite reasonable performance. We could even do the compiles on those if we connected it to an SSD like is in the phones.  See that's all about the I/O again.  CITRIX?  That's all remote compute, local bit blits- I/O again.  OO sucks everywhere, sucky and fast or sucky and slow is still sucky.  Ooooh GIMP you say, about the processing????   Nope sorry, the file buffering is all about optimizing the disc accessing during filter runs, SSD again to the rescue, not the CPU or general architecture.  And this is only a little bit simplified.

post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm not going to lie to make my point. I drive a 1995 model van, purchased in '94.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia warns of 'disappointing' smartphone sales in first half of 2012