or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck

Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

In the not so distant past, we would not have heard a yap from Apple on such trivial topics.

Brand protection, perhaps? Stock down 17 today on news of Starck's involvement? hehe
post #42 of 73
iGlove?

post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Watch the clock blink 12:00.

At least his clock is accurate twice a day. Mines always a few seconds off.
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

iGlove?

Bleh.... nintendo beat them to it long ago.

post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Yeah, I won't say the guy's designs aren't striking, but they're not useful in the way I associate with Apple and modernism in general.

It is telling that the BBC's documentary series The Genius of Design notes that his juicer doesn't really work all that well, which I think should be the first objective of good design.

Absolutely. If it don't work well then it ain't worth shit to me, no matter how pretty it is.

If you can integrate form and function, like Ives can, then you got a winner.
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Bleh.... nintendo beat them to it long ago.

That looks freaking sweet!

post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Looks like a crappy day for Apple fans.

How so?
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I love the external HDD what he made with LaCie.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10445

Really? I think it looks hideous and it badly affects the form factor of the device for no justifiable reason. I think the Apple design team could do a far better job than anything Starck could come up with.
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How so?

Every day is a crappy day for Apple fans when trolls exist.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.

Ahahahaha.... True that he is a loudmouth, I think even Jobs himself said this in the biography.

However, that you've never heard of one of the most famous designers alive says more about you than it does about him
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Really? I think it looks hideous and it badly affects the form factor of the device for no justifiable reason. I think the Apple design team could do a far better job than anything Starck could come up with.

Yeah well Starck has not done much other than a few "cute" things after his iconic citrus press which you have to admit is an absolute stroke of genius. But since then...

In order to really blend form and function like Jony Ive does you need to be in an environment that allows that. A large company making important products where design has CEO-level importance. Sony was like that once, of course Braun was like that, and Apple was like that under Steve Jobs (and Cook is continuing it of course). Many other companies dont understand design & think it is an afterthought " hey we have this product, lets hand it over to the designers to make it pretty" - not the way it works.

Starck never was at that position (probably by his own choice but still)..,.
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, if there's one thing on which we can agree it's that the Louvre director needs to come to Apple and ask them to fix the pyramid. You saw what Apple has done with the 5th Avenue Apple store and how much cleaner the glass looks there; maybe the citizens of Paris will hate the pyramid less if it's not so gaudied up with rivets and holding circles.

You do realize the Louvre Pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei who is Chinese American - not French.
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You do realize the Louvre Pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei who is Chinese American - not French.

That doesn't stop the French from hating it.

post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I love the external HDD what he made with LaCie.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10445

He took a 50s styple chrome finish appliance cover and put it on the front and that's a stylish design?
post #55 of 73
Quote:

That's why I wrote in general, I wasn't just speaking about that one designer.

We can agree to disagree, but your last comment is simply wrong. It is fully possible for me to have gotten around plenty and still not be overly fond of French design. As a matter of fact, I'm not even that fond of French food, as there are many other types of food that I'd put ahead of French Food, like Italian, Indian, Chinese, American etc. French food doesn't even make my top 10 probably.

I would say that if you had any sort of "general" knowledge of design, French or otherwise, you would know who Phillipe Starck was...
post #56 of 73
Quote:

If somebody actually was working on some sort of revolutionary project with Apple, I doubt that they'd be so stupid as to actually mention anything about that in interviews which they give, like some douchebag French designer with a big mouth that I'd never heard of before and couldn't care less about.

Yes, if you shop at Walmart in rural Nebraska you might have never heard of him.

For more expensive stuff, he is a very well known industrial designer, from furniture to consumer electronics to anything. In the designer world, he is as known as Jonathan Ives -- if not more, since Ives is mostly constrained to Apple the last decade or so.
post #57 of 73
Quote:

While I strongly dislike said douchebag guy, who's pretty close to political power, scandals and anything that makes lots of money, but rather far from art and innovation imho, "some (guy) I've never heard about and coudn't care less about" just showcases how lame your art culture is.

Stark, as distasteful as he is, is one of the biggest designers of the last 30 years.

Of course, most Americans still seem have some difficulty placing France, Germany, China and Russia on a map of the world, and Vinci, Van Gogh and Rembrandt on a timeline, so I guess that if your "art history" references are based on Apple advertisement, it does make sense you only know Ives, who's one of the biggest designers of the last 20 years.

In short: your point is good, the reason you justify it with is bad.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #58 of 73
I am sure that he is working on all sorts of great designs. The only down side is that they not going to be exclusive to Apple but to Walmart and Target. What else should we expect from a fat faced lying Frenchman?
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That doesn't stop the French from hating it.

Actually, Pei's pyramid dates back to years when Apple's cube was not technically possible. Glass, also, has seen tremendous improvements over 30 years, you should remember that in 1983, year when Pei's pyramid was planned by the President, Apple released its amazing "1984" advertisement.

While the pyramid is not necessarily to my taste, it does showcase a sense of design and engineering that was revolutionary 30 years ago, just like the Apple II next to an iMac/Macbook Air looks like it comes from another galaxy, and still it was revolutionary at the time.

post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I am sure that he is working on all sorts of great designs. The only down side is that they not going to be exclusive to Apple but to Walmart and Target. What else should we expect from a fat faced lying Frenchman?

I can't help but be amazed at these attacks. While Stark's current work is self-explanatory (as in, I hate it), between the other guy who "never heard of him" (get out of Milton, North Dakota once in a while?) and you who's attacking an artist because he's "fat faced"...

Why not criticize him for "being gay", or "being jew" while you're at it? Personal attacks based on looks, race, age, religion, sexual orientation... are shocking, have nothing to do with the debate, and don't serve to prove any other point than you being as much of a douchebag, at least, as Stark has proven to be.

On the other hand, the amount of replies that basically say "your comments tell more about you than him" are heartening... Apple-forum dwellers are positive thinkers

post #61 of 73
Quote:

That's why I wrote in general, I wasn't just speaking about that one designer.
As a matter of fact, I'm not even that fond of French food, as there are many other types of food that I'd put ahead of French Food, like... American etc.

The famous American Haute Cuisine.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't differentiate a risotto from a tandori chicken anyway, let alone prepare it properly.

post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

Sony was like that.

Maybe Sony will come back, there still are amazing designers in Japan (and other places where Sony could hire...)
It could be great to have some competition for the WOW-factor and quality that Apple has made us used to...

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Spoken like a true stereotypical arrogant American. Clearly you've never been to France or are very poorly cultured.

I suspect he will be leaving his parents basement in a few years, I'm sure his attitude will improve after that.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by softeky View Post

At least his clock is accurate twice a day. Mines always a few seconds off.

Plus it is accurate every second of the day ... Somewhere on the planet!
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I.M. Pei is form over function. He also designed the iconic Bank of China tower here in Hong Kong. It is so poorly constructed that the floors and ceilings are up to four inches uneven across a single floor.

Maybe not form over function, but he has shown a terrible ability to coordinate with project planners with regard to construction and construction techniques.
post #66 of 73
That drive he designed for Lacie is utterly tasteless. "BY STARCK" garishly stamped on the side of it? Whatever.

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth, but that's most likely the fault of management, not Ives.
post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth.....

Really? Which ones? Why?

The market seems to disagree vehemently with you. Of course, the market is not populated by design elites.....

/reverence
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The people who designed the UX that often results in people not setting the clock should die in a fire.

<blink>12:00AM</blink>
LOL. It's usually buried 5 menu levels down. Thanks, Sony.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I will say that Ive's designs are getting a bit long in the tooth, but that's most likely the fault of management, not Ives.

Don't mistake timeless design for long in the tooth.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I.M. Pei is form over function. He also designed the iconic Bank of China tower here in Hong Kong. It is so poorly constructed that the floors and ceilings are up to four inches uneven across a single floor.

Maybe not form over function, but he has shown a terrible ability to coordinate with project planners with regard to construction and construction techniques.

When you hire a hero architect like Pei, you expect there will be conflicts. Architects like Pei are very confident of their designs (right or wrong) and will defend them. During the design and construction of the Myerson Symphony Center in Dallas there were legendary battles between Pei and acoustician Russell Johnson. All of which dealt with form over function. I find the building beautiful and the acoustics downright astonishing. A balance was found. And if I remember correctly neither Pei or Johnson were happy.

Problems like you mention at the Bank of China Tower have little to do with architecture and more with building engineering/construction. Unless Pei's firm provided engineering services - then it's all on them.
post #71 of 73
Now if it were Marc Newson, THAT would be somoene to get excited over...
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by groakes View Post

Now if it were Marc Newson, THAT would be somoene to get excited over...

Been thinking that same thing. And he is buds with Ive apparently.
post #73 of 73
Whatever he's designing, it's sure to have a giant orange + sign on it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says it isn't working on any projects with Phillippe Starck