or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First look at Walmart's Apple store-within-a-store

First look at Walmart's Apple store-within-a-store

post #1 of 36
Some of the first pictures of Walmart's new Apple store-within-a-store concept hit the web on Monday, showing a layout and design similar to Apple's clean and ordered retail outlets.

A Lowell, Arkansas Walmart location is one of the first in the nation to roll out the Apple store-within-a-store, a dedicated space that is distinctly separate from the rest of the big-box retailer's other departments.

Photos of the new space posted on Apple retail blog ifoapplestore.com show a clean and industrial design that mimics the basic look and feel of Apple Stores worldwide. Products sit atop a wooden tabletop, in this case with shelf space for stock storage, and are paired with acrylic advertising placards that hold technical specifications, configuration information and pricing. Apple's own stores have since replaced most of this signage with iPads running specially designed software.

The main area consists of two large tables with corresponding backlit one-sheets for Apple's main product lines and is set apart from its surroundings with a dark carpet. Accessories and tertiary products are arranged outside the carpeted area on regular Walmart shelving.

In order to concentrate the maximum number of products into one small area, Walmart had to choose which item to feature as display models. Hot-sellers like the iPad, iPod touch and iPhone 4S units are available to test-drive, while other products like the iPod nano and iPod shuffle are locked behind glass security doors beneath the tabletop displays.

New signage prominently displayed at Walmart's Lowell, Ark. location. | Source: ifoapplestore.com

Security for the on-display items is said to be tighter than Apple Store counterparts and is most likely due to lack of staff dedicated to oversee the area.

Less popular products are locked behind security glass.

Walmart's attempt at an Apple store-within-a-store is likely the first of many, and other nationwide resellers like Target are slowly rolling out similar offerings later this year. Competing electronics outlet Best Buy already has an Apple section in many of its stores.

Acrylic placards are used in place of the iPads seen in current Apple Stores.

Internationally, Harrods of London recently opened its "Apple Shop" as part of the famous department store's new "Harrods Technology" section.

Apple first pioneered the store-within-a-store concept with CompUSA in 1997.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 36
"New Apple displays begin appearing at Walmart retail stores" Cool! Walmart selling Apple ACDs! Great News, I need a new Apple Display! Oh, wait...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #3 of 36
Looks nice enough but without a dedicated sales staff it might not do that well. It certainly will not be the usual Apple experience.

I am not being a snob but rather when buying things out of Walmart's electronics department I have experienced both good and appalling service.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"New Apple displays begin appearing at Walmart retail stores" Cool! Walmart selling Apple ACDs! Great News, I need a new Apple Display! Oh, wait...

Is that a triple sarcasm tag you put at the end of every single post of yours?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

/
/
/

Yeah, when I first read that title thats what I thought as well.
post #6 of 36
I assume these display devices will not have internet capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Looks nice enough but without a dedicated sales staff it might not do that well. It certainly will not be the usual Apple experience.

I've seen many beautiful displays and setups quickly go to scheiße because they were monitored or maintained. I fear this will happen without some contract that allows the devices to be checked and maintained periodically, and if the devices are allowed to be tampered with without the system automatically resetting the OS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 36
Gotta love Wal-Mart: Is that a semi-automatic assault rifle next to the iPod Shuffle?
post #8 of 36
Looks nice enough. Will it have any customer service? I have to question apple's choice of faux wood table tops. Great form. But have you ever seen how scratched, scuffed, and grimy they are at all stores. They need a better material that can take more abuse from the masses.
post #9 of 36
I don't go into Walmart for electronics unless I've already done my homework. Walmart employees generally don't know squat when it comes to most products. That also stands for target, Kmart, etc.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

But have you ever seen how scratched, scuffed, and grimy they are at all stores.

Nope. They always look nice in the Apple Stores I frequent.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

I don't go into Walmart for electronics unless I've already done my homework. Walmart employees generally don't know squat when it comes to most products. That also stands for target, Kmart, etc.

Something is wrong in the fact that Apple products are sold in Crapmart but not in Costco.
Either Apple is crap (which we all know is not a case) or Costco is more of a crapstore than Wallmart itself
post #12 of 36
Honey, I'll be home after I drop by Wal-Mart and get a bag of blue jeans and an iPad. Do we need a jug of peanut butter?
post #13 of 36
The last time I visited an Apple-section at the local Walmart, I stood in line behind a couple people to get a chance to play with the then recently released iPad 2. The kid in front of me was probably about 11, and when he got his grubby mits on the demo unit, he spent about three minutes hunting for some installed game: Angry Birds, etc. He couldn't find one, so he put the iPad back down on it's tethered base and proceeded to sneeze the most boogery sneeze I've ever seen all over the face of the demo iPad. Then he just walked away, without a care in the world. Ever since, I refuse to play with the demo iPads at Walmart.
post #14 of 36
Santoanderson - Yeah I can't blame you. I don't have a similar story however I have found that a Best Buy, 35 minutes away from my house, had the best Apple setup. It was nothing compared to the Apple Store however it was not crowded even when the store was and it was clean.

The only thing I find Wal Mart to be good for is certain cheaper groceries.
post #15 of 36
Yup, it used to be the only reason I'd go to Walmart was to buy cheap Blurays and video games on release day. Then I discovered Amazon Prime. Now I just go when I need a 3 pound bag of Wheat Thins.

If I want to test out an iPad, I either go to the Apple Store, or one of their authorized resellers which 100% copies the Apple Store format. There's a reason why Walmarts have Purell dispensers at the entrances (which nobody uses) and Apple stores don't.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Something is wrong in the fact that Apple products are sold in Crapmart but not in Costco.
Either Apple is crap (which we all know is not a case) or Costco is more of a crapstore than Wallmart itself

Walmart and Sams Club are owned by the same company. Costco and Apple ended their relationship in 2010. Sounds like Apple wouldn't give Costco the ability to sell online or offer the iPad so the two mutually agreed to end their relationship. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._products.html

I imagine there were other factors involved as well. Possibly Costco wanted bigger margins.
post #17 of 36
That looks very nice...but I can't help but wonder how long it will be until it gets trashed.
post #18 of 36
Case of Budweiser

Case of dog food for the dog

Case of motor oil for the pickup

...and a single iPad???

I don't get this strategy at all.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #19 of 36
Walmart? Ugh... The end of the world as we know it. This is absolutely the wrong brand for Apple to be associated with. The only thing they offer is distribution into C & D markets, but without qualified sales and service support what will the result be?
post #20 of 36
The level of bigotry on this board is amazing, and disgusting.

Wal-mart is the biggest retailer in the world. Why do you assume there is just one type of person who shops there? Besides the fact that you're a bigot?
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncents View Post

Wal-mart is the biggest retailer in the world. Why do you assume there is just one type of person who shops there? Besides the fact that you're a bigot?

It's a stereotype; calm down. It's no more true than any other stereotype.

post #22 of 36
Buy Apple devices at a Walmart is like buying a Bentley from your local used car dealership.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncents View Post

amazing over reaction

post #24 of 36
The 'People of Walmart' crowd don't want to be around the 'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking' crowd anymore than the 'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking' crowd want to be around the 'People of Walmart' crowd. The two are like oil and water, no pun intended.

To all those who feel Apple products are too good to be in a Walmart store, please pull your head out of your pompous Apple utopia ass. Believe it or not there are plenty of people who shop at Walmart who can afford an Apple product.

And I'm not over reacting (for that guy in this chain), every time a story is written about Apple products and association with Walmart (or Sam's Club) you can bet your ass there will be a ton of 'OMG, Becky look at those products in Walmart ...'; which is code for those kind of shoppers don't deserve to buy Apple products. Just read above ...

It's a shame really that people who aren't supposed to judge, judge others.
post #25 of 36
This will be the best looking section in Walmart. Hopefully they'll have staff assigned to keep it up to par.
post #26 of 36
can not agree more,Walmar "store within the store" is a diluted experience of what you get in a real apple store and it may be good to create more volume, but without degrees of difference, buying a Mac in Walmar is like going grocery shopping with style....not sure this a right way forward.... !...in the end, is about the experiencing apple, and wal-mart does not do it...
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

The 'People of Walmart' crowd don't want to be around the 'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking' crowd anymore than the 'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking' crowd want to be around the 'People of Walmart' crowd. The two are like oil and water, no pun intended.

To all those who feel Apple products are too good to be in a Walmart store, please pull your head out of your pompous Apple utopia ass. Believe it or not there are plenty of people who shop at Walmart who can afford an Apple product.

And I'm not over reacting (for that guy in this chain), every time a story is written about Apple products and association with Walmart (or Sam's Club) you can bet your ass there will be a ton of 'OMG, Becky look at those products in Walmart ...'; which is code for those kind of shoppers don't deserve to buy Apple products. Just read above ...

Bigots? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! This has nothing to do with the shoppers and has everything to do with the Walmart brand and what it stands for. Discount store, "everyday low prices", generic brands, low value, cheaply made, driving small retailers out of business in small town America, poor customer service, etc. etc. etc.
post #28 of 36
Quote:

Says the guy that manages to come up with something as incredibly tone-deaf and reality free as "'hippie, my-shit-don't-stink, uppity, Starbucks drinking" crowd.

Seriously, have you ever been in a Starbucks? There's one about every three feet all across the country, in case you haven't noticed. I mean, at least ragging on Walmart has some basis in reality, whereas your fantasy of the thoroughly conventional, trafficked by every man, woman and child in America Starbucks suggests that you're a morbidly obese nutcase actually living in Walmart, angrily reacting to insults to your "home" and basing your notions of the outer world on misheard snippets of conversation, discarded, partially legible magazines, and the Speak 'n Spell in aisle 7.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Bigots? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! This has nothing to do with the shoppers and has everything to do with the Walmart brand and what it stands for. Discount store, "everyday low prices", generic brands, low value, cheaply made, driving small retailers out of business in small town America, poor customer service, etc. etc. etc.

Apparently you missed the post about the rifle being displayed next to the iPod.
post #30 of 36
Wonder what the rednecks will things of these fancy displays?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Security for the on-display items is said to be tighter than Apple Store counterparts and is most likely due to lack of staff dedicated to oversee the area.

That and the less desirable clientele surrounding them.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Wonder what the rednecks will things of these fancy displays?

Probably, "This thing looks cool. I wish I could read."
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Walmart? Ugh... The end of the world as we know it. This is absolutely the wrong brand for Apple to be associated with. The only thing they offer is distribution into C & D markets, but without qualified sales and service support what will the result be?

Apple made the decision to put their products in Walmart. Now be a good Apple follower and defend Apple's decision.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple made the decision to put their products in Walmart. Now be a good Apple follower and defend Apple's decision.

Give it a rest, asshole.
post #35 of 36
Quote:

Well I've never been inside a Starbucks OR a Wal-Mart, so not sure where that puts me.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Walmart and Sams Club are owned by the same company. Costco and Apple ended their relationship in 2010. Sounds like Apple wouldn't give Costco the ability to sell online or offer the iPad so the two mutually agreed to end their relationship. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._products.html

I imagine there were other factors involved as well. Possibly Costco wanted bigger margins.

No, what Costco wanted was the freedom to run 'deep discounts' on Apple products. And Apple suggested that their brand was selling well enough at Costco without any discounts. And Costco apparently mentioned it was company policy that required all products to be subject to discounting. And Apple agreed that going against company policies was a BAD THING, and their contact with Costco was therefore terminated, with affability.

Cheers
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First look at Walmart's Apple store-within-a-store