or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reveals 'Windows RT' as name of ARM-based version of Windows 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft reveals 'Windows RT' as name of ARM-based version of Windows 8 - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Windows NT stood for New Technology, so does RT stand for Retro Technology?
post #42 of 72
Much improved over the current naming scheme. ARM can't run x86 apps so they had to differentiate that one. If I had any say Pro and standard would be rolled into one as well, but its definitely a step up. I wish they'd eliminated 32 bit binaries as well though.
post #43 of 72
wonder if Microsoft will still charge outrageously large prices for their Windows 8? especially now since they are no long releasing tons of arbitrarily stripped down OS versions to nickel and dime all the Microsoft drones with. Probably going to charge $299 while Apple charges only $29 for their latest full version
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

wonder if Microsoft will still charge outrageously large prices for their Windows 8? especially now since they are no long releasing tons of arbitrarily stripped down OS versions to nickel and dime all the Microsoft drones with. Probably going to charge $299 while Apple charges only $29 for their latest full version


Apple makes money off hardware. Microsoft makes money off software. It's mind boggling how much that comparison is made, it makes no sense. Its like saying Apple should go the Kindle Fire route and sell the iPad at-cost. But they don't have the same content sales business as Amazon, iTunes is a small sliver of their profits.
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Very true. I was trying to get an email at a mountain retreat and all I had was a t-mobile hotspot. My MacBook Air running OSX email couldn't do it, but my iPhone had no trouble. What's up with that? They were running off the very same hot spot.

My wife uses Aperture and seems to like it a lot.

Apple needs to build a killer photo sharing app and launch a social network from it. It should be easy for Apple to do, I don't understand why they won't do it.

Why would they, ever heard of Instagram. All these social sites and programs are beginning to really hurt our society. Children are spending more time on their computers talking to their friends then actually talking with tbeir friends in person. My daughter want's a Facebook account and I told her she can have one only if I can monitor her activity. I want my kids outside not stuck in front of a computer or phone the entire day.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #46 of 72
"Windows 8 is the official product name for the next x86/64 editions of Windows," LeBlanc wrote. "For many consumers, Windows 8 will be the right choice."

The Spider (Windows) says to the Fly (Customer)...



Tried Windows 8 Beta ... the start button can now be a start page... pull up the screen to log in...
all eye candy...
post #47 of 72
Here's what I guess will happen:

1. Windows RT shows up on a limited number of ARM-based tablets at trade shows but they either never launch or have a limited launch like Chromebooks. Microsoft backtracks on ARM and says to wait until Intel tablets can match ARM tablets on price and battery life. They assure us that this will happen any day now.

2. Intel-based Windows 8 tablets fail to catch on. Microsoft starts talking about Windows 9 as the real future of tablet computing. ARM is never discussed again.

I'm just not buying that Microsoft is serious about ARM and this weird naming scheme isn't helping.
post #48 of 72
funny, upon reading that "windows media center " is an addon pack i may just upgrade...

i can ignore, and get use to the bubblegum gloss of the Win8.
also the task manager is pretty nice.

but this is on a PC... still need to ultimately get a Mac...
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Don't confuse "intuitive" with "easy to use". If you were to give a brand new computer user the choice between Metro in Windows 8 and Windows 7, I really think most would pick Metro because it's FAR simpler. That and the fact that the average computer user doesn't tap into most of the functionality of Windows compared to a power user should indicate that it's not really designed for them to begin with. ...

I don't see any factual basis for this statement. I think you are just wildly assuming stuff here and hoping for a good outcome.
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Here's what I guess will happen:

1. Windows RT shows up on a limited number of ARM-based tablets at trade shows but they either never launch or have a limited launch like Chromebooks. Microsoft backtracks on ARM and says to wait until Intel tablets can match ARM tablets on price and battery life. They assure us that this will happen any day now.

2. Intel-based Windows 8 tablets fail to catch on. Microsoft starts talking about Windows 9 as the real future of tablet computing. ARM is never discussed again.

I'm just not buying that Microsoft is serious about ARM and this weird naming scheme isn't helping.

They do seem to be giving less and less time and less and less emphasis to the ARM version, which in fact, is the only part of Windows 8 that can ever possibly be competitive with the iPad. Windows on tablets is a proven failure, Metro on laptops will be quickly removed by most consumers and replaced with a hacked start button. Metro on desktops will hardly exist at all.

This would seem like very bad strategy indeed.

If I were Microsoft I would have come out with a very solid and almost exactly the same Windows this time with a visual makeover. then I would have put out Metro for ARM (no windows) with all the fanfare I could muster and push it hard. The two OS's would connect in the Cloud but otherwise be completely different and completely non-compatible other than at the document level.
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see any factual basis for this statement. I think you are just wildly assuming stuff here and hoping for a good outcome.

This is what I was thinking to. I think it will be mass confusion for most people who have used Windows in the past. Were not talking about new users here. All of a sudden people are brought to this screen with a bunch of tiles that are meaningless to them instead of a desktop with a start menu.

Maybe his friend is technically inclined so he was able to adapt quickly, but I don't see businesses, schools, and even some consumers liking this OS. Of course there will be something that disables Metro. If Microsoft doesn't make it, someone else will. As a person who works in IT in a school I don't see this working very well.

If they want to make a touch version of their OS then make a separate version. Windows sucks on a mobile device...always has, always will. I don't know why they'd want to make Windows work on a mobile device. This is what killed them the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I always thought RT meant road and track...

I was thinking the same thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

No! No! He needs to stay at the helm, even unto his last days of his Alzheimer's. May he live a long and healthy life and remain firmly in charge at MS.

I'm sure Apple management would even give his some Apple stock if he would promise to stay at the top of the dog pile at MS.


Why are we afraid of Microsoft? It seems as if we think they're going to retake everything is someone else comes in. Competition is always good. Apple needs it. If not, then they'll start to lay down on us and products will go stale.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #52 of 72
Delete me mods since we can't delete our own posts...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

wonder if Microsoft will still charge outrageously large prices for their Windows 8? especially now since they are no long releasing tons of arbitrarily stripped down OS versions to nickel and dime all the Microsoft drones with. Probably going to charge $299 while Apple charges only $29 for their latest full version

YES.. if you have a Mac, no need to pine for windows upgrades...

well if win7 is anything to go by... it "ill"(special limited time offer) be 49 to upgrade from 7 home to 8 home,
and 129 from 7 pro to 8 pro...

still burns me about the special limited time upgrade pricing, i had vista ultimate, and I could not upgrade to win7 pro because that woud be a down grade... ( but my brother gave me a 40 student version of win pro so all worked out)

of course i ended up doing a clean install, so i should have purchased the win7 pro upgrade... (found out later that i could have done that)
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Delete me mods since we can't delete our own posts...

just delete text... and say in the reason for editting "deleted post"

IMHO
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They do seem to be giving less and less time and less and less emphasis to the ARM version, which in fact, is the only part of Windows 8 that can ever possibly be competitive with the iPad. Windows on tablets is a proven failure, Metro on laptops will be quickly removed by most consumers and replaced with a hacked start button. Metro on desktops will hardly exist at all.

This would seem like very bad strategy indeed.

If I were Microsoft I would have come out with a very solid and almost exactly the same Windows this time with a visual makeover. then I would have put out Metro for ARM (no windows) with all the fanfare I could muster and push it hard. The two OS's would connect in the Cloud but otherwise be completely different and completely non-compatible other than at the document level.

What makes it worst is that MS use of Windows on ARM tablet OS. Windows 8 RT is in no way similar nor compatible with traditional Windows 8. Expect customers confusion and high return rate.

"why I can't run my old Windows software on my Windows tablet?"
"why I can't install software from this website? it says it is compatible with Windows!"
post #56 of 72
Windows RT is an escape for Microsoft. If it fails (and it probably will), Microsoft can simply drop it without affecting anything.

If MS called everything Windows 8, and an ARM based tablet running Windows 8 fails, then Windows 8 itself fails and Microsoft doesn't want that...
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Without endorsing Apple Mail as a client, I'd like to point out that Mail does indeed send and receive attachments very normally. Just because an attachment arrives visible, and inline in the body of your message does not mean its embedded. Mail by default tends to display the contents of known, readable file types like PDF. But they are indeed attachments and one click allows you to download individual attachments or all of them at once.

As with most things related to unfamiliar software, it takes time to get used to the nuances. As someone who uses Apple Mail exclusively, I find the integration with my calendars and contact lists to be much tighter across all devices, and having used Entourage and Outlook before, I will likely never go back to them.

I was referring to the fact that MS Outlook put the attched files in their own little box so that you know where they are and they don't disrupt the flow of the email. This isn't a nuance. It is horribly inconvenient to have the attachment icon inside the email text because the icon is like 5 times the size of the text and you can't format the email properly. I've seen many emails where the spacing caused by the icon for the attached icon ends up being white space (i.e., 5 blank lines). For a company that has prided itself on clean interfaces, the Mail client is anything but clean.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They do seem to be giving less and less time and less and less emphasis to the ARM version, which in fact, is the only part of Windows 8 that can ever possibly be competitive with the iPad. Windows on tablets is a proven failure, Metro on laptops will be quickly removed by most consumers and replaced with a hacked start button. Metro on desktops will hardly exist at all.

This would seem like very bad strategy indeed.

If I were Microsoft I would have come out with a very solid and almost exactly the same Windows this time with a visual makeover. then I would have put out Metro for ARM (no windows) with all the fanfare I could muster and push it hard. The two OS's would connect in the Cloud but otherwise be completely different and completely non-compatible other than at the document level.

There won't be any confusion. Have you tried windows 8 beta? With the push of the button it toggles between tiles and traditional view. Tiles will be no more difficult to figure out than the launchpad on Mac OSX.
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

There won't be any confusion. Have you tried windows 8 beta? With the push of the button it toggles between tiles and traditional view. Tiles will be no more difficult to figure out than the launchpad on Mac OSX.

The difference is launchpad isn't forced upon you when the OS starts up. Also, there are tiles that aren't exactly apparent to what they do. At least launchpad has the names under the icons so people know what they are.

I also wonder how many Mac users actually use launchpad? I for one don't. I don't think its necessary. We have this thing called the Dock that does the same thing.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #60 of 72
Have a Samsung Slate Series 7. Installed Win 8 to try it out. Don't understand all the whoopla about the Matrix Interface. It is just a badly designed shell on top of a badly executed Win 7. Have used the pen with Journal since 2003. With Win 8 Journal did not have palm rejection! What? Really? And my Toshiba M205 works great and looks great with 1400×1050 screen resolution. Only problem is its battery 2.5 hrs and the weight of nearly 4.5 Lb. Ahhh, if my iPad just had a Wacom digitizer!
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

The guy's a troll, don't bother.

Yeah, I thought TEKSTUD created yet another sock account.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #62 of 72
Windows (FA)RT?!
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Windows 8 is shaping up to be pretty damn amazing. I'm really looking forward to all the device launches that will accompany this hot new product from Microsoft.

It must be another foggy day in London Town

However, RT stands for Real Trouble
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
Reply
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
Reply
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Apple Mail is the biggest piece of shit software Apple has ever made. It drives me absolutely bonkers that it takes forever to send a message and it always forgets passwords from Keychain. What is up with that? Also, if my internet connection is slow, it will time out.

While Apple Mail is not as well engineered as it could be I think these particular "hates" are mostly to do with your slow/unreliable internet connection. Mail.app does not forget keychain passwords, the "please enter your password" prompt is Apple's default (confusing) mechanism to let you know the mail server stopped talking to your mail reader while trying to login. Simply hit the "cancel" and then "fetch mail" again.

Likewise, taking "forever to send a message" is another indication of network problems. Try testing your mail server accessibility using "ping" from "Network Utility" (in your Applications:Utilities" folder). If you notice inconsistencies, try the "Traceroute" tab and see if you can pin the problem down to a section of your ISPs route.

Packet dropping or overloaded server would also explain your timeout issues.
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34

RT stands for RunTime. WinRT is the API which Metro is built off of, analogous to Cocoa in the Mac world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit

I always thought RT meant road and track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade

It stands for Windows ReTarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR

Windows RT = Windows Really Tablety version

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatbosan

However, RT stands for Real Trouble

How about "Windows Really Terrible"? Any others?
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What makes it worst is that MS use of Windows on ARM tablet OS. Windows 8 RT is in no way similar nor compatible with traditional Windows 8. Expect customers confusion and high return rate.

"why I can't run my old Windows software on my Windows tablet?"
"why I can't install software from this website? it says it is compatible with Windows!"

I think most users are going to stop at trying to get there software onto a tablet when they see theres no disk drive! Seriously though how many bits of software do you think the average user has?

Secondly, Mac users don't seem to struggle that much. The swithc from Power PC to Intel broke some of my OS X software. Then leopard to sl broke more along with having to install Rosseta, and then lion broke the rest by removing rosseta completely. But all the software still says compatible with OS X.
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I think most users are going to stop at trying to get there software onto a tablet when they see theres no disk drive! Seriously though how many bits of software do you think the average user has?

You will be surprised how much junk software your average user download from the internet. MS was telling us that the iPad is not a full OS and here is MS releasing a tablet OS that does not accept "full OS" software. Windows RT to Windows 8 is what iOS to Mac OS. The only connection is the word "Windows" and the ability to run the Windows RT apps on Windows 8.

Quote:
Secondly, Mac users don't seem to struggle that much. The swithc from Power PC to Intel broke some of my OS X software. Then leopard to sl broke more along with having to install Rosseta, and then lion broke the rest by removing rosseta completely. But all the software still says compatible with OS X.

That's completely different situation. PPC apps worked side by side with Intel for years using Rosetta and the switch did not require developers to rewrite their entire software. Apple did not kill Rosetta until the big developers ported their apps to Intel.
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Wikipedia has nice upgrade and feature comparison charts.

LOL at that link as it brought me to the 'List of features removed in Windows 8' where it states:
  • The command bar in Windows Explorer has been removed in favor of the new Ribbon UI.
  • Windows Explorer status bar no longer shows free disk space
  • The Start button has been removed in Windows 8 but still can be accessed by hovering and clicking in the bottom-left corner.
  • The Aero Peek button has being removed in favour a new "hotspot"that will also reveal the Charms
  • Windows Briefcase has been removed
  • Technical information such as memory address amongst others have been removed from the Blue Screen of Death


Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why would they, ever heard of Instagram. All these social sites and programs are beginning to really hurt our society. Children are spending more time on their computers talking to their friends then actually talking with tbeir friends in person. My daughter want's a Facebook account and I told her she can have one only if I can monitor her activity. I want my kids outside not stuck in front of a computer or phone the entire day.

True that. I saw a 20 minute video on TED.com the other day where a a woman explained how all these connected devices, social media is hurting our way of communicating. And I fully agree with her; Facebook seems more like people wanting to hang out their laundry, dirty or clean, bloat about what they have achieved and such. I thought it was a great presentation, worth the watch. In HTML5, over at Ted.com
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I always thought RT meant road and track...

It means "Radio Telegraphy", the way Marconi originally invented.

Cheers
post #70 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Wikipedia has nice upgrade and feature comparison charts.

LOL at that link since it brought me to the removed features:
  • The command bar in Windows Explorer has been removed in favor of the new Ribbon UI.
  • Windows Briefcase has been removed
  • Technical information such as memory address amongst others have been removed from the Blue Screen of Death


Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why would they, ever heard of Instagram. All these social sites and programs are beginning to really hurt our society. Children are spending more time on their computers talking to their friends then actually talking with tbeir friends in person. My daughter want's a Facebook account and I told her she can have one only if I can monitor her activity. I want my kids outside not stuck in front of a computer or phone the entire day.

I fully agree. Saw a great 20 minute show on ted.com from a woman who believes that all this social media, SMS etcetera is really not communicating at all. Fantastic insight she gave, really worth the 20 minutes in my opinion. Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Windows on tablets is a proven failure, Metro on laptops will be quickly removed by most consumers and replaced with a hacked start button. Metro on desktops will hardly exist at all.

most computer users are unable to perfom even basic tasks, between clicking on "the internet" or clicking on "my email" no matter what platform they use. But you expect 'most' windows users to hack the OS to replace the new applicaiton drawer with the old start button?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch1 View Post

Have a Samsung Slate Series 7. Installed Win 8 to try it out. Don't understand all the whoopla about the Matrix Interface. It is just a badly designed shell on top of a badly executed Win 7. Have used the pen with Journal since 2003. With Win 8 Journal did not have palm rejection! What? Really? And my Toshiba M205 works great and looks great with 1400×1050 screen resolution. Only problem is its battery 2.5 hrs and the weight of nearly 4.5 Lb. Ahhh, if my iPad just had a Wacom digitizer!

You may be expecting a little much with the Matrix interface.

Just take the blue pill, neo. All will be better.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reveals 'Windows RT' as name of ARM-based version of Windows 8