or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013 - Page 2

post #41 of 75
the only way for anyone of them to do that is to wise up and brand a tablet themselves with others components like apple and control the system tightly. Wtf are they doing not branching out and merging in some way to do that, google, samsung, ms, intel, don't they know that unless they join forces under some scenario and create a separate tablet brand they 'll get their asses handed to them again? You just can't slam an os on top of hardware these days, it has to be an integrated system. Are they still living 10 years ago?
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013"

Well the only way they can do that is by making a better product, so I hope they do.

I couldn't agree more. Intel is an industry treasure that consistently drives the industry toward improved manufacturing processes and innovation. They were caught with their pants down by ARM 's superior architecture. Shame on Intel, good for ARM. So, I'd love to see this little rumble result in even better architectures at lower cost; good for all.

HOWEVER, it seems that so many of these manufacturers are *hoping* that by ganging up on Apple that they'll be successful, which just won't happen -- as has been demonstrated by the horde of look-alike Android products out there. Only some have been truly successful, and even those devices don't (yet) have an effective ecosystem which they can truly claim as their own. It is the ecosystem that counts, not the individual devices or impressive specs.

Apple, with only a handful of devices and a well-oiled ecosystem will continue to put the hurt on these other manufacturers five to ten years down the pike.
post #43 of 75
I read the title and Conan's "In the year 2000........" came to mind.
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Also about as successful as their ultrabook strategy as well.

You mean the one Intel is pushing because Apple pushed them to develop the chips to be used in the MBA?

Intel/MSFT was content with Atom/Netbooks.

Apple pushed Intel and now Intel is bitting the hand that feeds it.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Dah, it will happen soon. Apple simply does not have a product to compete in 5.5"-8" tablet space. iPad is great tablet for couch potatoes, but there is a huge demand for smaller tablets which could be held by one hand and for multipurpose tablets.

Yet ... but will have by 4Q12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

There will be more tablets of dual tablet/phone usage with headset and speakerphone. Windows 8 tablet can also serve as productivity tool: you can run full blown desktop apps on it.

Are you the source Digitimes keeps quoting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The industry is changing quickly and Apple is too big it too cocky to react quickly.

Actually, Apple is the agile one in this equation. Notice everyone else is playing catchup instead of innovating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

What happened with iPhone market share is a good example.

I agree - that year over year growth is terrible. Especially as a shareholder where value is not only in increased market share but in higher margins (i.e. no BOGO deals like carriers offer with 5 Android phones for 5 dollars). Also - Android might have the wider market share in the smartphone space ... but Apple doesn't compete against "Android" (which flavor?). It competes against LG, and Samsung, and Motorola, and Nokia.

Yep. Apple is doomed again.
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

They're going to target the iPad with $1000+ Win 8 tablets? Can't wait for the fire sale.

A few models will be priced that high not all. They will most likely have high speed processors and more memory for CAD work.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

There will be more tablets of dual tablet/phone usage with headset and speakerphone. Windows 8 tablet can also serve as productivity tool: you can run full blown desktop apps on it.

The industry is changing quickly and Apple is too big it too cocky to react quickly. What happened with iPhone market share is a good example.

Two things:

1. The original windows tablet failed because they tried to run full blown desktop apps on it and no tablet buyer really wants that kind of punishment. Why would that be a reason for success now?

2. What happened with the iPhone's market share is that Apple refused to cut their margins and/or sell cheaper phones just to gain market share. Apple could easily take over the market if it becomes a market share-maximizing rather than a profit-maximizing company. Like the PC market, it is impossible to capture the entire smartphone market from the high end to the low end. Why? Because once you target the low end, your high end business disappears. If Apple starts selling a plasticky, cheap materials, low-end version of the iPhone, that's it for the current 'luxury' version --most of Apple's iPhone customers will migrate to the cheap version. Why? Because the American consumer prefers cheap disposable crap. They'd rather keep buying the 2 dollar screwdriver that breaks after one use than the 10 dollar one that you keep for the rest of your life. Even if they end up buying the 2 buck chuck 10 times. Why do you think Walmart is so successful?
post #48 of 75
I'm not helping with their plans. I just purchased a new iPad today. I also created this message with the dictation tool. I'm going to get spoiled by it.
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If Intel were smart, they would strike a deal with Apple to make Apple's processors and other chips that Apple designs in an outsourcing contract, so Intel could generate revenue. Intel is being two faced about this since Intel was late into the ARM processor market. If Apple and Intel joined forces to produce the best ARM processors, then both companies benefit. The problem Microsoft has is their ecosystem is not going to be as developed as Apple since Microsoft doesn't market tablets and computers. Microsoft has already proven that they have a difficult time competing in the iPod and iPhone market, and the tablet market is another that Microsoft just doesn't know how to compete. Microsoft is losing to Apple in the desktop and laptop market because the WIndows based computers just aren't as easy to use, they don't have compelling designs and Apple is just a better overall product that is part of a more developed ecosystem. Customers defect from one brand because they aren't satisfied. It is as simple as that. Customers will only stay with one product until they reach a point where they can't put up with second rate customer service and support. Apple has focused on certain key areas and corporations are learning slowly that the overall price for computer is a sum of the product AND support costs and finding a hardware supplier that can match Apple is impossible to find.


Intel will never ever make ARM designed cpus. Its like apple putting android on its own hardware. Never going to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_by_revenue
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

Actually, Apple is the agile one in this equation. Notice everyone else is playing catchup instead of innovating?

No, I have not noticed. Android manufacturers offer screen sizes 5.3"-9", Apple does not. Android/Win 8 manufacturers offer multi-purpose/multifunction devices - Apple does not. Where is Apple innovation? Apple did not invent a tablet nor capacitive touchscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

but Apple doesn't compete against "Android" (which flavor?). It competes against LG, and Samsung, and Motorola, and Nokia.

Of course Apple competes against Android since Apple also an OS software company. There are 4 current iOS flavors (ipod, ipad, iphone and AppleTV), but there is only 2 current Android flavors: Honeycomb for tablets and ICS for phones.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both Microsoft and Intel are said to have been working closely with PC makers in hopes of pushing Apple's iPad to less than 50 percent of the global tablet market by mid-2013.

The main disconnect is that Microsoft's strategy for tablets (at least for the next year or so) does not involve Intel. Microsoft's success will NOT benefit Intel since MS is using ARM chips in current tablet designs.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Two things:

1. The original windows tablet failed because they tried to run full blown desktop apps on it and no tablet buyer really wants that kind of punishment. Why would that be a reason for success now?

Microsoft never gets it right first time. Apple has had flailed products too: remember Newton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

2. What happened with the iPhone's market share is that Apple refused to cut their margins and/or sell cheaper phones just to gain market share.

No. The reason Apple lost market share is not the price. The reason is that Apple is late with adapting to consumer demand and new technologies. Apple is late with large screen phones, 4G connectivity, OLED displays, etc.

Another example: multifunction devices. Samsung sold 5 million of Galaxy Note phone/tablet hybrids in 3 month mostly overseas even before they came to US. It's not a lot compare to the volume of iPhones sold, but it's another piece contributing to the lost market share and lost profits.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

No. The reason Apple lost market share is not the price. The reason is that Apple is late with adapting to consumer demand and new technologies. Apple is late with large screen phones, 4G connectivity, OLED displays, etc.

Really? Apple didn't lose market share because of price? You are going with that?

You have absolutely no proof of that. If I were to guess at an answer, as you have, I'd say that the low cost in so many of their phones is the main factor in Android's rise.

That... and spiffs, of course.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodo View Post

I second that. I'm an iPad 2 and 3 owner but I would like to see what Windows 8 brings to the market in the tablet spectrum. Sure there will be poor offerings with some, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they bring some actual competition to Apple. More competition = more innovation/cheaper prices/big win for the consumer.

Actual evidence seems to contradict you here. The areas where the tablets have the most competition seems to be where innovation is weakest. Apple seems to be doing just fine innovating with or without competitive pressure, especially since they can drive additional margins into greater innovation. Competition DOES improve cost efficiencies which in an efficient market is supposed to spur innovation, but I don't see that cost efficiencies are actually enabling new innovation considering the wide gap between what's possible and what's reality given today's technology landscape. I think the opportunity cost of the increased efficiency that competition affords here is dwarfed by the margins that actual innovative products can demand.
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really? Apple didn't lose market share because of price? You are going with that?

You have absolutely no proof of that. If I were to guess at an answer, as you have, I'd say that the low cost in so many of their phones is the main factor in Android's rise.

That... and spiffs, of course.

Price? Top of the line Android phones cost the same as iPhone. Some actually cost more, e.g. Galaxy Note LTE subsidized ATT price $300 vs. $200 iPhone.

And then think about it: many people would not wait 18 month just to fix antenna issue and get minor spec updates. Apple is beating the old horse over and over but a lot of people expect more regardless sleek design and rigorous marketing hype.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really? Apple didn't lose market share because of price? You are going with that?

You have absolutely no proof of that. If I were to guess at an answer, as you have, I'd say that the low cost in so many of their phones is the main factor in Android's rise.

That... and spiffs, of course.

Android is no longer gaining share against the iPhone despite a continued cost gap, so I don't think the data backs you up here. I think the rise of Android can be mostly explained by Apple's lack of presence with Verizon, certain Chinese providers, and the pre-paid market, not the pure cost profile.
post #57 of 75
Let's also not ignore that the anticipated market for tablets in 2013 is double what it was in 2011, so Apple at 50% is still going to have record sales against the fragmented competition. It's inevitable that the rest of the market will eventually capture some segment of the market, just a matter of "when".

Still says a lot if Apple can keep 50% in a market that includes Google, Amazon, Samsung, Toshiba, Lenovo, and countless others.
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

And then think about it: many people would not wait 18 month just to fix antenna issue and get minor spec updates.

Fortunately, neither of those things happened and you're simply a liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

Let's also not ignore that the anticipated market for tablets in 2013 is double what it was in 2011, so Apple at 50% is still going to have record sales against the fragmented competition. It's inevitable that the rest of the market will eventually capture some segment of the market, just a matter of "when".

Yep. It'll be Windows 8 tablets that actually get the marketshare, but I predict confidently that those laptops whose screens spin around and become touch will be called "tablets" to boost numbers.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #59 of 75
How cute! Microsoft also thought they could take a leadership position against iPhone and Android clone phones by the end of 2011.

Letting a bunch of PC makers sell a bunch of keyboardless laptops running Windows 7 with a Metro shell smells like a recipe for success!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

If the iPad falls below 50%, it most likely will not have anything to do with Intel.
I'd be looking more at the Windows RT ARM based tablets, and existing Android tablet makers dropping the new Windows OS on them.

I suspect that the market cannibalised wont be the iPad one - it will be the "Android" one.

Somebody has unwavering faith in Google. Remember: not everything Google tries to do is a winner. Their Twitter & Facebook clones are not beating the originals, and their ChromeBook netbook products aren't winning either.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Meanwhile, on the smartphone front, Microsoft chugs along with 2% market share. After years and billions $ of effort

Success in smartphones and tablets are tied together in the long term

That's because they need to sit within a rich ecosystem of applications, customer service, and "kewlness."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Don't underestimate Microsoft. They have been hamstrung the last 10 years by antitrust monitoring but that is over now. Meanwhile Tim Cook is demonstrating weakness by letting every pressure group and their dog push Apple around. I expect MS to make a comeback soon.

Well, that's certainly one take. Delusional, but a take nonetheless.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

A few models will be priced that high not all. They will most likely have high speed processors and more memory for CAD work.

I think one of the things people forget, particularly with these "$1000" machines, is the "convertible" laptops. These will function similar to ultrabooks in that they'll have a small lightweight form factor, and run traditional desktop computing applications. Then, if the user is on the go, or wants just a tablet they can disconnect the screen and use it as a tablet, along with the battery life benefits a tablet affords them.

This is something apple currently has no counter for, and eventually people will get tired of paying $1200 for a laptop, and another $600 for a tablet when a single device can offer the functionality of both. Whether or not it will be a success has yet to be told, but I do think there will be some threat to apple with this new platform. My feelings as always are "bring on the competition", make me want to change away from having to pay the apple tax for what I think are the best products. I'd love them to help drive down apple's prices, or actually release a product that's better than apple's. I know it's blasphemy in here, but I just want awesome new toys to play with, and don't really care whose logo is emblazoned on it.

Phil
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Price? Top of the line Android phones cost the same as iPhone. Some actually cost more, e.g. Galaxy Note LTE subsidized ATT price $300 vs. $200 iPhone.

And then think about it: many people would not wait 18 month just to fix antenna issue and get minor spec updates. Apple is beating the old horse over and over but a lot of people expect more regardless sleek design and rigorous marketing hype.

So.... you live in some kind of fantasy world where Apple is falling behind, losing sales, and generally being eclipsed by competitors? Interesting. Good luck with that.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

A few models will be priced that high not all. They will most likely have high speed processors and more memory for CAD work.

"CAD work", eh? Who's going to write the touch friendly CAD software?

One thing these discussions always seem to ignore is how hard it is to translate desktop productivity mouse and keyboard based software to touch. Some folks act like it's enough to provide horse power (at whatever cost to battery life), but Microsoft's sorry track record with "touch sort of" devices suggest no one really wants that.

I also hear that MS is going to run away with this market because they're providing a "real OS", but in fact Metro is even less a subset of Windows than iOS is a subset of OS X. iOS isn't designed like it is because Apple can't figure out how to make it "real" or "powerful", it's designed like it is because it provides a user experience tailored to multi-touch. Apple could undoubtedly put "full OS X" on ARM tomorrow, but why?

The problem with running CAD software on a tablet isn't CPU heft, it's translating all those finicky little parameters, menus and keyboard shortcuts into something that works with fingers. Apple has been working on this problem for a while, and has a pretty good lead with creating a consistent, extensible touch UI language. The idea that MS just kind of shovels Windows stuff onto tablets and wins, without any further insight into how they plan to manage the UI transition, is just random speculation.

And if we're talking about Metro ARM tablets, really? Do you see that as a promising start for CAD work?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Intel will never ever make ARM designed cpus. Its like apple putting android on its own hardware. Never going to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_by_revenue

Didn't intel own own xScale? I think Intel has sour grapes over getting rid of their own Arm based processor just as someone found a profitable use (iPhone) for Arm processors.

I bet every time Paul Otellini sees an iPhone he gets a bit pissed at the missed opportunity.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

So they have app and media stores ready to go? They have licensing agreements with all the major studios and other content generators? They have a mature and "developer friendly" development environment (this one they do with Visual Studio)? They have a cloud storage solution ready to go? They have a revenue sharing plan ready for developers (IMHO, they ought to make it an 80-20 split to give developers better return than Apple.)? They have extremely strict hardware spec requirements (screen resolution, storage, GPU performance, connectivity, etc.) to avoid the splintering that has occurred with Android? They have a way to keep OEMs from gumming up the systems with adware?

iOS is so much more than a hunk of hardware and an OS.

IMHO, Microsoft ought to become more like Apple and make their own tablet - hardware, OS, everything. Partner with some manufacturers if you must, but make it a MICROSOFT device. (Although the Zune didn't work out so well for them, but the XBox has.)

- Jasen.

Why do people keep pointing to the xbox as a success when in fact MSFT has lost BILLIONS on the xbox????? That is not how I would measure success...
post #68 of 75
It's funny how the majority here completely understimates what windows represents.

The fact of the matter is that the 70% market share that apple represents is actually not that big of a deal.
The vast majority of people out there don't actually own a tablet.

In the period it took apple to sell 50 million ipads, microsoft has sold 530 million windows 7 licenses.

If windows 8 "flops" just as hard as windows vista, then win 8 will instantly burry both apple and google. Combined.

For microsoft NOT to surpass apple's market share, it would require for windows 8 to be the worst selling windows OS since like... ever.

Even if it flops, it will still sell millions upon millions.

Just wait and see till people start to realise that if they buy a windows 8 tablet... they won't actually need a desktop or laptop anymore... because that tablet will be a FULL pc.

I don't know a single person who only has an ipad or android tablet. Reason is simple: these things are consumption devices. Companions for an actual computer.
Apple doesn't even want an ipad that can replace a full pc, because apple wants to also sell macs and macbooks.

Microsoft doesn't care about that... they just need to push the OS and who cares what it runs on.

The very nature of the model of iOs is doomed to become a niche product. Any OS that is couple with specific hardware is always doomed to become a niche product.

Android doesn't have that problem, but android is disadvantaged because of massive fragmentation. Android also isn't capable of actually taking the place of a full pc either.

Also... Dell, Lenovo, HP,... etc etc are big massive companies. These enterprises are not going to build 32+ tablets without doing some market research first. The very fact that so MANY tablets are going to flood the market is a key indicator that their market research was positive. That there really IS demand for a good windows tablet.

If that wasn't the case, there's no way that we would see so much of these devices being announced.

I feel like all of you are heavily underestimating what microsoft is capable of while also really overestimating apple's tablet market. It really isn't that big.

Here are some numbers to illustrate this:
92% of all computers run windows (that's well over 1.5 billion pc's)
77% of all computing devices connecting to internet with a browser are windows pc's (well over 1 billion machines)
Half of those machines are windows 7 machines (around 530 million)

Meanwhile... the apple has sold what... like 55 million tablets? In the same period as 530 million windows 7 licenses, making it the fastest selling OS (perhaps even "product") in all of history.

And all that happened under Ballmer's watch.

Considering those numbers.... anyone who tries to state that "microsoft is history" or "microsoft is in decline" or who laughs at microsoft stating that they plan to bring back ipad market share by a ridiculous 20%... that person deserves nothing but ridicule.

Apple will be successfull for a long time for sure. They have their public and their fans and they do a good job for sure. But please, let's be realistic here...

I think it's safe to say that Apple's glory days are over now, they reached their peak and this is pretty much where they will stay. This would be a good time to start cashing out on apple stock.
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

I also hear that MS is going to run away with this market because they're providing a "real OS", but in fact Metro is even less a subset of Windows than iOS is a subset of OS X

But Metro is not windows 8. Metro is INCLUDED in windows 8. Your windows 7 desktop is also in there.

So your point is kind of void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

iOS isn't designed like it is because Apple can't figure out how to make it "real" or "powerful", it's designed like it is because it provides a user experience tailored to multi-touch. Apple could undoubtedly put "full OS X" on ARM tomorrow, but why?

Apple won't be doing this for only ONE reason: they want you to buy a mac and/or macbook as well. Apple making a tablet that can actually replace your desktop/laptop would be shooting in their own foot and making their imacs etc obsolete.

It doesn't take a college degree to realise why they won't do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

The idea that MS just kind of shovels Windows stuff onto tablets and wins, without any further insight into how they plan to manage the UI transition, is just random speculation

.

Actually, it just shows that you don't get what windows 8 is all about.
It's about giving you a tablet that can actually replace your pc.

It's about actually realising that there are some things that favor/require a keyboard and mouse and some other things don't.

Win8 tablets will come with dockings and/or HDMI outputs. You'll run fully featured desktop software and "dumbed down" metro companion software. Which one you use will be determined based on your needs, location, available form factor, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

And if we're talking about Metro ARM tablets, really? Do you see that as a promising start for CAD work?

ARM tablets are toys, meant for consumption first.
Having said that, I have reason to believe that windows 9 (or 8 sp1-2?) will introduce a new "metrofied" application model for the desktop wich will allow engineers to develop "metrofied" sandboxed desktop applications that will run on both ARM as well as x86, and which will be distributed through the store. Look at Zune desktop software and compare the animations, UI style etc to metro apps. It's painfully obvious.

And eventually, this will completely replace win32.
post #70 of 75

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

1. The original windows tablet failed because they tried to run full blown desktop apps on it and no tablet buyer really wants that kind of punishment. Why would that be a reason for success now?

 

Think of using an 11" MacBook Air with a removable screen that, when detached, worked like an iPad.

 

That's Windows 8.

 

Windows 8 is aimed at the market segment that wants something like an iPad, but also needs something a bit more like a PC. The theory is that this segment is enough to make Windows 8 successful; although most estimates put its eventual market penetration well below the iPad.

 

post #71 of 75

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


Why do people keep pointing to the xbox as a success when in fact MSFT has lost BILLIONS on the xbox????? That is not how I would measure success...

 

Most people care about great products, not how much money someone has in the bank.

 

If Apple were totally broke it wouldn't somehow make the iPad a worse product.

post #72 of 75

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientificBob View Post

I think it's safe to say that Apple's glory days are over now, they reached their peak and this is pretty much where they will stay. This would be a good time to start cashing out on apple stock.

 

There is still plenty of potential growth in Apple before they plateau.

 

Consider:

  1. A larger iPod (i.e. 7") to take on the cheap media tablet\eReader market.
  2. Media content, both TV and movies. Perhaps not an actual TV but a new way of delivering content.
  3. Audio. A Sonos-like audio system tied into AirPlay and iCloud would sell like crazy.
  4. In-built in-car entertainment. These systems often sell for many thousands of dollars and are not as good as a first gen iPad.
  5. Payments. Not just an NFC powered "Apple Wallet" but an Apple version of PayPal that is used to perform in-app payments of physical products.

 

There is probably a bunch more.

 

Apple has enough momentum to take the share price to $1000 over the next 5 years.

 

post #73 of 75

I tried the W8 developer preview on my laptop when it was first released. I was pretty underwhelmed by the metro interface experience on a non touch device.

 

Recently, some bloke in the pub let me play with his intel viewsonic tablet running the latest incarnation of W8 and I was impressed. The fisher price interface was actually usable, albeit hampered by the fact that the marketplace is limited. Even though the tablet (1gb ram) was "optimised" for W7, programs such as Word opened faster than on my own W7 (i7 6gb ram). My experience was rather short and I have no doubts that batter life etc would have been crap but for the first time ever I stopped looking at tablets as being overblown phones.

 

Personally, an Arm device would not interest me but I can see the allure of a £1000 intel tablet that really will give me the processing power of my laptop and the convenience of Metro.

post #74 of 75

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post

"Microsoft and Intel try to take over the world"

And the news is?

 

It's not current news but it sure is different from when wintel already owned the world.

post #75 of 75

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Think of using an 11" MacBook Air with a removable screen that, when detached, worked like an iPad.

 

 

 

That's a brilliant concept I'd love to own.  As long as it didn't suck.

 

See, that last part is kinda tricky.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Intel & Microsoft hope to push iPad's global market share under 50% in 2013