or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iCloud email sees worldwide disruption of service

iCloud email sees worldwide disruption of service

post #1 of 27
Apple iCloud users from New York to London are seeing selective outages of service that leave them without access to their iCloud mail accounts, a problem that has persisted for over a day.

An Apple Support Community page was on Apr. 17 discussing the disruption of service and now has over 100 replies from affected users in the North America, Europe and as far as New Caledonia.

According to forum members who spoke with Apple support representatives, the outage is sporadic and does not affect a large number of iCloud users, however it seems that the problem is not confined to a specific area. The company's iCloud status page reports that less than one percent of all users are seeing problems with the mail service, and a fix is expected "ASAP."

"What is even more concerning is that after a 50 minute phone call, not one person (tech support, senior advisor, program leader, nor engineering department) had known that this was a pervasive issue. Not one," writes Apple Support forum member 'stadrummer.' "My account has been passed to the engineering department and I should hear back by tomorrow."

It was reported in January that over 85 million users had signed up for iCloud since its debut in October 2011, a rate that outpaced device sales at the time.

Affected users have no access to their iCloud mail accounts, whether it be from the web client to their iPhones, which points to a problem with a specific backend issue most likely originating from the company's separate mail servers. Apple's status page claims that only mail is affected while all other iCloud assets remain fully functional.

In December 2011, its was reported that U.S. .mac and .me users were experiencing problems with mail coming from Roadrunner and Comcast domains, though outgoing messages were left unaffected. The cause was ultimately found to be an accidental engagement of Apple's spam filters.

The source of the most recent issue is as yet unknown, and Apple hasn't released any information regarding the matter.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 27
Maybe they're running low on coal.
post #3 of 27
I've just had to manually check for messages today. Since I'm not in Germany, it should be pushing.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple iCloud users from New York to London are seeing selective outages of service that leave them without access their iCloud mail accounts, a problem that has persisted for over a day ...

Not to be rude, but this happens quite a lot in places that aren't New York and London. it happened where I live just last month. Everything gone for most of the day.

I would suggest this is only a "story" because it's happening to someone famous or someone who has a blog (in London or New York).
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Maybe they're running low on coal.

Greenpeace chaps have the death grip on the antennae on the roof.

BTW it is working fine here for us in West Florida so far.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #6 of 27
Working for me over here, Bear. Of course, I'm not on the East Coast and in Europe.
post #7 of 27
I've been having problems with my iCloud email asking for the password, then not accepting the password. I know it's a more widespread problem, but has been more prevalent the past two days.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Working for me over here, Bear. Of course, I'm not on the East Coast and in Europe.

Being on the East Coast AND in Europe could be quite painful.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I've just had to manually check for messages today. Since I'm not in Germany, it should be pushing.

Same problems here. Hope it will be fixed soon.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #10 of 27
The service has been intermittent ever since the iPad 3 launch. 2-3 times a day the server will stop accepting passwords and Mail will go offline. All you can do is leave it half an hour and try reconnecting.

My theory is that most iPad 3 buyers are opting in to the free 5GB iCloud account, and the mail servers are being overwhelmed. I think they should use Apple PNS to notify devices of new emails, and only then turn IMAP on long enough to fetch the new message, then turn it off again. It would shift load from the IMAP servers to the PNS servers, which have proven far more scalable. Non-Apple clients can off course just keep using pure IMAP.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple iCloud users from New York to London are seeing selective outages of service that leave them without access to their iCloud mail accounts, a problem that has persisted for over a day.

Does Apple use Mac Minis as their servers?
post #12 of 27
Everything is shiny here in Australia.
post #13 of 27
Gmail was flaky for a good part of the day yesterday. My private email service was down on and off for a day a couple of weeks ago. It's certainly frustrating, but it happens. Having more than one email address/provider these days is a must.
post #14 of 27
My @me.com account created a few months ago never worked consistently for me. I often I get error messages when I check email on my iPhone that email cannot be accessed on that account. Can't switch from gmail because of this.
post #15 of 27
So worldwide except where I live, apparently.

Ah, "less than 1%". That sure makes it newsworthy. Guess those one percent are the ones with jobs that let them post news articles.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So worldwide except where I live, apparently.

Ah, "less than 1%". That sure makes it newsworthy. Guess those one percent are the ones with jobs that let them post news articles.

Guess we're part of the 99%
post #17 of 27
I've been out for two days and need access to my account. Apple service seems to be dropping lately. Issues with iCloud Mail, long time to respond to the java malware issue. What gives???
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I often I get error messages when I check email on my iPhone....

Don't check email that way !

post #19 of 27
that explains why I haven't gotten any spam all day!
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Does Apple use Mac Minis as their servers?

No, if I recall correctly Apple uses Oracle on Sun Solaris iron for the MobileMe/iCloud e-mail services.

Amusingly, e-mail and notes are the two iCloud services that I don't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Gmail was flaky for a good part of the day yesterday. My private email service was down on and off for a day a couple of weeks ago. It's certainly frustrating, but it happens. Having more than one email address/provider these days is a must.

Yup, even Gmail goes out. However, that doesn't help when someone sends to the address that's out of service.

I'm using an e-mail forwarding service (which forwards to two different e-mail providers), but if the forwarding service goes out, again that's a vulnerability for incoming mail.

The lesson to be learned here is that no e-mail is 100% reliable.
post #21 of 27
In addition to Mail asking me for my .me email password, I had an error message on my Mac that said I was almost out of space for my iCloud email account. Now that I'm back in, it says that I have 23GB of 25GB free.
post #22 of 27
I and many other iCloud users experienced this same disruption on March 24. And just like this time tech support was completely unaware of the outage. As a result they had users go thru all Kinds of unnecessary trouble shooting and resettings. I spent at least four hours on the phone with tech support. The problem started early in the morning and was not resolved until around 5 pm EDT when Apple finally posted on the iCloud status page that there was an outage and service would be restored "ASAP." Within 20 minutes of posting this notice service was restored. But that didn't stop tech support from"escalating" my problem and sending me another set of trouble-shooting instructions. All of which duplicated everything I'd previously been instructed to do, all of course unneccesarily because the problem all along was Apple's iCloud email servers. It would be nice if tech support knew what was happening on the network, or that they could see that thousands of other users are experiencing the same problem. Then maybe they wouldn't drag innocent Apple iCloud subscribers through the hell of needlessly resetting or tweaking everything on their computers, or IOS devices.
post #23 of 27
iCloud email sees worldwide disruption of service

Like to over-sensationalize our headlines, do we?

Less than 1% of users (that could mean .0001%) have problems, and those are not localized to any specific area (in fact... the person using iCloud mail right next to you might have NO problem!) ... And that translates to iCloud having a worldwide disruption of service? ... Are you padding your resume looking for a job with the National Enquirer?
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Are you padding your resume looking for a job with the National Enquirer?

BatBoy to supplant Tim Cook as Apple CEO!

post #25 of 27
I have a friend who has had problems with iCloud Mail since last Thursday. Aliases names don't work at all.

Apple Support has been sympathetic, but short on a resolution.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Everything is shiny here in Australia.

iCloud seems fine, real clouds raining, not so fine.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #27 of 27
I am having troubles too - with Mail and logging onto iCloud.com. Eh, it's free (at least for a lot of us), I don't know why we'd expect reliable service. When (if) Apple tries to make a dent in the enterprise, they'll have acceptable up-times.

And to respond to an earlier post, no, they don't use Mac minis for their servers, they use Oracle, on probably Linux or Sun platforms, probably virtual machines....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iCloud email sees worldwide disruption of service