or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple encouraging iCloud upgrades with free Snow Leopard for MobileMe users

Apple encouraging iCloud upgrades with free Snow Leopard for MobileMe users

post #1 of 34
In an effort to push customers toward iCloud ahead of shuttering its MobileMe service, Apple has reportedly begun offering free copies of OS X Snow Leopard to MobileMe users still on the older Leopard version.

Macgasm reported on Wednesday that the Mac maker had sent an article to MobileMe customers with an offer for a free DVD of OS X Snow Leopard. The move comes as Apple is just months away from its June 30 deadline to close the service.

It's not immediately clear, however, exactly who is eligible for the free upgrade offer, which expires on June 15. The publication contacted Apple to clarify but had yet to hear back from the company.

Apple's email reportedly outlines a three-step process for bringing MobileMe Leopard users onto iCloud. First, customers will need to get their free DVD of Snow Leopard. Once the new operating system is installed, they can purchase and install OS X Lion via the Mac App Store. Finally, they can visit me.com/move to bring their MobileMe accounts over to iCloud.

iCloud incorporates many of the features and services that MobileMe offers, though some have been cut. Apple confirmed last year that iDisk, Gallery and iWeb will be discontinued with MobileMe.

MobileMe got off to a shaky start that prompted harsh criticism of the development team from late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation..." he reportedly told the team. "You should hate each other for having let each other down."

At the introduction of iCloud last year, Jobs said the MobileMe launch was not "Apple's finest hour" and pledged that the service would be different because "it all just works." Apple has, however, had some trouble making the transition to iCloud. Just this week, a small number of users experienced disruption of service to their iCloud mail accounts.

The company's efforts to move users over to iCloud reflect its own belief that iCloud, unlike MobileMe, is here to stay. CEO Tim Cook said in February that iCloud, which has more than 100 million users, will be the center of Apple's strategy "for the next decade or more."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 34
Yes, dear users... please help us lock up even more of your data in our proprietary cloud....

It's kind of depressing that Vista has support for iCloud but Snow Leopard doesn't. I just want to have photostream/picture folder support and my contacts on my core duo macs! Is it that hard to ask?
Check out my Apple Tech Podcast: Cidercast
post #3 of 34
SO, LET'S SEE...

Papa bear is offering to UPGRADE all the older Macs out in the wild to Snow Leopard to get everyone on a platform that's 'close' to reality of the hardware that's 'current'... THEN, as a VERY FIRST STEP of the process to move over to iCloud, the VERY FIRST THING that Papa Bear wants these folks to do is UPGRADE TO LION???

NO!!!

I stayed on SL because you ass-clowns told me that my Mac didn't have enough horsepower to run Lion. NOW, you want folks with hardware OLDER THAN MINE to upgrade to Lion?? Are you people nuts?? Steve was right.. you clowns SHOULD be ashamed of yourselves.. this plan is lunacy ...

You OWE your user base a plan - not a meat grinder... idiotic.
post #4 of 34
This is stupid. What about all the Macs that can't run Snow Leopard let alone Lion? Apple should have made iCloud available on Snow Leopard at least.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #5 of 34
It has always been policy of almost any tech company that sells computers and or software to force users to upgrade. It is the truth and unfortunately we all are caught up in it. Yes Microsoft has a little more flexibility when it comes to their OS and Processors and Graphics cards. We all have to pay some time and one will have to choose. Microsoft or Apple. Who will you stand with? I choose Apple. Yes my Mac Pro is obsolete and will not run Mountain Lion. But I am gonna have to save for another Mac Pro and upgrade. Oh well I don't like it but I know that is the way it is and I can't change it. So I adapt.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

It has always been policy of almost any tech company that sells computers and or software to force users to upgrade. It is the truth and unfortunately we all are caught up in it. Yes Microsoft has a little more flexibility when it comes to their OS and Processors and Graphics cards. We all have to pay some time and one will have to choose. Microsoft or Apple. Who will you stand with? I choose Apple. Yes my Mac Pro is obsolete and will not run Mountain Lion. But I am gonna have to save for another Mac Pro and upgrade. Oh well I don't like it but I know that is the way it is and I can't change it. So I adapt.

System requirements for Mountain Lion haven't been confirmed yet.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

This is stupid. What about all the Macs that can't run Snow Leopard let alone Lion? Apple should have made iCloud available on Snow Leopard at least.

Apple doesn't support Power PC any longer. It's been 6 years.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

SO, LET'S SEE...

Papa bear is offering to UPGRADE all the older Macs out in the wild to Snow Leopard to get everyone on a platform that's 'close' to reality of the hardware that's 'current'... THEN, as a VERY FIRST STEP of the process to move over to iCloud, the VERY FIRST THING that Papa Bear wants these folks to do is UPGRADE TO LION???

NO!!!

I stayed on SL because you ass-clowns told me that my Mac didn't have enough horsepower to run Lion. NOW, you want folks with hardware OLDER THAN MINE to upgrade to Lion?? Are you people nuts?? Steve was right.. you clowns SHOULD be ashamed of yourselves.. this plan is lunacy ...

You OWE your user base a plan - not a meat grinder... idiotic.

2 OS upgrades (usable on up to 5 Macs) for users that haven't purchased new hardware in over 3 years, all for $29. The humanity...
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

Yes, dear users... please help us lock up even more of your data in our proprietary cloud....

It's kind of depressing that Vista has support for iCloud but Snow Leopard doesn't. I just want to have photostream/picture folder support and my contacts on my core duo macs! Is it that hard to ask?

Use an alternative service if you can't afford new hardware.
post #10 of 34
Don't you get it? It's Apple's way of telling you to get a new Mac. Do they really have to spell it out for you?
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkingman View Post

Don't you get it? It's Apple's way of telling you to get a new Mac. Do they really have to spell it out for you?

Why do they need a new mac? Most of the syncing features that iCloud has were in MobileMe & already worked with 10.4 onwards. Apple has made an arbitrary decision to cut support off for pre Lion users.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

All Mac Pros run Lion.

He said Mountain Lion, not Lion.
It's another case of a older machines being cut off for minor incompatibilities, such as the EFI firmware version. A version 1,1 Mac Pro with lots of RAM & an upgraded graphics card could potentially run 10.8 faster than a new Mac Mini, but Apple say no.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkingman View Post

Apple is allowing users with 6 year old hardware to run iCloud. iCloud isn't a requirement to use a Mac. If you wish to use iCloud, and have a Mac that cannot run Lion, then you can weigh whether iCloud is worth selling your Mac at a great resale price and upgrading. They aren't forcing anyone to do anything; the entitlement of some people is pathetic.
post #14 of 34
I was hoping for a Snow Leopard integration of iCloud. Technically it can be done
post #15 of 34
It's bs how they are not supporting icloud for snow leopard, and then you hear people here talk about "entitlement". Yeah people having paid for mm for 2+ years shouldn't be able to have their data synced anymore on their no more than a year old os, unless they pay even more for lion... The way they are obsoleting last years os via icloud and machines that are 3 or so years old again via icloud is what is pathetic, not people's sense of entitlement...
post #16 of 34
It would be nice if they would put more effort into combining old .mac IDs with the new iCloud IDs or iTunes account names.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

... The way they are obsoleting last years os via icloud and machines that are 3 or so years old again via icloud is what is pathetic, not people's sense of entitlement...

Snow Leopard to Lion upgrade was only $30. What 3 year old Apple computer was obsoleted by iCloud again?

If you prefer the way MS does it then buy a Windows based product not an Apple product.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #18 of 34
The problem isn't just being at Snow Leopard, but iCloud requires iOS 5 on portable devices, meaning anyone with a perfectly good iPhone 3G is stuck as well.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by etkal View Post

The problem isn't just being at Snow Leopard, but iCloud requires iOS 5 on portable devices, meaning anyone with a perfectly good iPhone 3G is stuck as well.

I have a first-gen and I'm not whining about not having iCloud on it. Tech changes. Do you really want your iPhone 3G to have worse battery life? Think about it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #20 of 34
They'll either have to make Mountain Lion as good as Snow Leopard, or they'll have to pry Snow Leopard out of my cold, dead hands!
~Rick
~Rick
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERman View Post

They'll either have to make Mountain Lion as good as Snow Leopard, or they'll have to pry Snow Leopard out of my cold, dead hands!

It is funny, but I remember when SL was released, quite a lot of people had issues with it (some genuine and some sensationalised). I got the impression that the general consensus was that it was not as good as Leopard and Apple took a step backwards.

Now it appears that Lion is even worse than SL and by some indications, ML seems to be worse than Lion?

I don't know. Personally, I moved to Macs with the Late 2009 27" iMacs, which came with Snow Leopard. Since it was my first interaction with OS-X, I had no complaints whatsoever.

When I upgraded to Lion last year, I still didn't have any complaints, save for some changes in gestures.

I will upgrade to ML as well when they release it this fall. I'd like to be on the latest OS as long as it is possible. Maybe I don't use OS-X enough to recognise the regression in the versions?

Anyway, I have Fusion 4, so I can always run SL if required.
post #22 of 34
My MobileMe account is already screwed up. When I try to get my mail on the web version it shows my inbox for one second then refreshes to a page that asks me to migrate to iCloud. I click the "Later" button and it repeats - flashes my inbox then back to the move to iCloud screen. Over and over. It never lets you get to your mail. I can still get the mail using my phone though.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of bailing on my .Me account since I don't really use it for anything other than throwaway mail.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #23 of 34
MobileMe was certainly not ready for primetime when it initially debuted but the $99 per year price tag was it's biggest impediment to gaining wide adoption. Although it's free assuming you have relatively little to put in it, iCloud is far more tarnished than MobileMe; it's a byzantine backup/sync service along with a very poor replacement of gallery otherwise known as photostream, no iDisk, and no iWeb.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of bailing on my .Me account since I don't really use it for anything other than throwaway mail.

Umm.... you know it's going to be deleted by Apple in a couple of months anyway right?
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

It is funny, but I remember when SL was released, quite a lot of people had issues with it (some genuine and some sensationalised). I got the impression that the general consensus was that it was not as good as Leopard and Apple took a step backwards.

Now it appears that Lion is even worse than SL and by some indications, ML seems to be worse than Lion?

"quite a lot of people"... "general consensus"... "some indications"... you make a strong case.
post #26 of 34
I've been a paying user of .mac since 2006 when I bought my first MBP.

I've installed 10.5 and 10.6 since, but can't install 10.7 because it's only a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo.

There's no reason iCloud can't run on my laptop except for Apple's stubborn insistence that everyone update to Lion.

In fact, it's really starting to hack me off that they want me to trash this old mac with absolutely no problems, killing its resale value (because any purchaser is going to want to use iCloud), and forcing me to upgrade to an OS that none of my friends are enjoying.

Shit move Apple. Shit move.

Give us iCloud on 10.6 and let us legacy users keep using our perfectly functioning hardware.

-Nano.
post #27 of 34
You're complaining that a 6 year old computer can't run the latest and greatest software? Just checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I've installed 10.5 and 10.6 since, but can't install 10.7 because it's only a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo.

There's no reason iCloud can't run on my laptop except for Apple's stubborn insistence that everyone update to Lion.

In fact, it's really starting to hack me off that they want me to trash this old mac with absolutely no problems, killing its resale value (because any purchaser is going to want to use iCloud), and forcing me to upgrade to an OS that none of my friends are enjoying.

Shit move Apple. Shit move.

Give us iCloud on 10.6 and let us legacy users keep using our perfectly functioning hardware.

-Nano.
post #28 of 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

"quite a lot of people"... "general consensus"... "some indications"... you make a strong case.

I do, don't I? I knew it. I just needed some validation and vindication. Thanks for that.

post #29 of 34
There are many other alternatives to iCloud anyway, if you don't want to use it then don't. I activated mine a while back, played with it for a few days and haven't used it since, I find Asus Webstorage to be more suitable for what I need a cloud service to be. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade but I think it's real nice for Apple to give users a free upgrade even though I think Apples OS should be free anyway but that's a different discussion.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #30 of 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

MobileMe was certainly not ready for primetime when it initially debuted but the $99 per year price tag was it's biggest impediment to gaining wide adoption. Although it's free assuming you have relatively little to put in it, iCloud is far more tarnished than MobileMe; it's a byzantine backup/sync service along with a very poor replacement of gallery otherwise known as photostream, no iDisk, and no iWeb.

iCloud is light years beyond MobileMe.  I've done multiple restores from iCloud and it's worked just fine and Photostream isn't a gallery replacement.  That's going to likely be iPhoto's Journal feature.   You couldn't be more wrong here. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #31 of 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Use an alternative service if you can't afford new hardware.

Umm, so I should just throw perfectly working computers in the trash as soon as I buy a new mac?  What a waste!  I'm not asking the world, just the same support that Vista hardware that is even older than my core duo macs has.

post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

Umm, so I should just throw perfectly working computers in the trash as soon as I buy a new mac?  What a waste!  I'm not asking the world, just the same support that Vista hardware that is even older than my core duo macs has.

I can really see lots of PC users staying with their beloved Vista since they can still enjoy iCloud support. It's clear that Apple really "loves" Vista and its large and faithful user base.

post #33 of 34
Quote:
You're complaining that a 6 year old computer can't run the latest and greatest software? Just checking. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron

No, and thank you for that careful, critical attempt at a summary...

If you listen just a little more closely, you might be able to tell that he's complaining about being deprived of services thru no technical requirement of hardware or software.

The bundle, in effect, has been shuffled: still the same services offered, but with a gatekeeper interposed.  Kinda like the way that Microsoft first created FUD (nothing's wrong, but if you find NotOurDOS installed, stop everything, tell the user to format the drive, ignore further input).

I have the same issue myself: I'd be more than happy to upgrade to Lion, but I'd need to replace my machine; I'd be more than happy to replace my machine, but at the rate my savings are accumulating, I won't be able to do that until 2016 at the earliest (and maybe not until 2019). Therefore, I am about to LOSE SERVICES I'VE RELIED UPON FOR YEARS, NOW. Services I've done okay with - and paid to use - since since it came available. My 1st-gen MBP is slowing all the time, but it runs just fine, and I'm fortunate, not complaining. AND I don't want to be barred from my services so arbitrarily.

See the difference?

And if there really are insurmountable reasons why services must now be cut off for 1st-gen intel users, I sure would like to know what they were...doesn't seem like a lot to ask for, compared to another black eye for another tone-deaf response.

If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
post #34 of 34

I use a mac mini first generation and a macbook air also first generation and an iphone 3gs. I had been holding off upgrading to lion because I had read about mountain lion. Ooops It seems my mac mini wont even run lion.

I googled " my old macs wont run icloud " and this thread was top on google so here I am .

I am not particularly tech minded  just use my macs for everyday stuff and had been looking forward to them being "synchronised" by which I mean my bookmarks in safari and reading lists etc , my contacts and diary. The little stuff.

I always had and have a paid for email that syncs across all my computers and phones so never used mobileme email. I believe the technological name is an IMAP account. 

It looks that my dream of syncing all my macs is over ( unless I plug my phone in to each machine and try to sync them all that way just the thought of whichm, though its probably simple, panics me a bit ) 

I like my macs and dont want to ( cant afford )  new ones. Actually even if I could afford new ones it would feel wrong to landfill perfectly good and beautiful bits of kit that work as well now as they did years ago.They could be running happily for years.

Does anyone think that apps or something might appear for the older  mac user to enjoy some of the new os's Lions  functionality in respect of syncing diaries and contacts and safari?

Thanks and regards all

Richard 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
  • Apple encouraging iCloud upgrades with free Snow Leopard for MobileMe users
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple encouraging iCloud upgrades with free Snow Leopard for MobileMe users