Site Redesign

Poll Results: Does the new AI suck?

• 65% (15)
    Yes.
  • 34% (8)
    No.
23 Total Votes  
post #1 of 30

As bad as the old site used to be, the redesign is MUCH worse.  No way to get from a news story to the comments?   

AI should just shitcan the redesign and get a competent piece of forum software.  Or jsut go back tot he old software.

This new format sucks donkey shit.

post #2 of 30

You're complaining about an incomplete transition not yet having hyperlinks to articles re-added? sigh

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 30

How hard would it be for them to say "incomplete transition" somewhere on the screen?

What's with all the data that's being thrown at us? Are they hoping that they'll be the next Instagram?

post #4 of 30

Is it to late to go back to the old look?

Oh, and we'll need a "downvote" icon for Zither's posts.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #5 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Oh, and we'll need a "downvote" icon for Zither's posts.

I still like very much the idea of NOT having "Like/Dislike" buttons, but that's me. Personally I prefer a typed response to a knee-jerk, single-click, zero-thought reaction, wouldn't you?

As to the design, it's clean and busy simultaneously. Now that I'm seeing all these icons in place, ideas are floating around my head. I think I'll take a crack at something…

post #6 of 30

Yeah, I'm just being snarky.  It's new, it's different.  I'm sure we'll adapt.  :)

post #7 of 30

Personally I like the idea of like, dislike buttons rather than having to hear endless amounts of horseshit replies to horseshit troll posts.

Perfection to me would be to add a few other buttons... "get stuffed!" "are you fucking kidding!" "give your head a shake!" "about time someone made sense"  etc.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #8 of 30

If people think it's too cluttered, it'd be because of all the lines. I'm not sure why they're there (unless they're needed for the design or something), but here's a post without any of them.

Untitled-1.png

I made some icons have higher contrast and swapped some of the colors around to brighten the content up. If there's some HCI rule that says buttons have to be bounded, I don't remember it from my classes. That obviously doesn't preclude it being a rule, as my memory is worthless. I just figure I'd remember that.

I really like the new forums, bounded boxes or no. If nothing else, swapping some colors around would make it pop. 

post #9 of 30

WHY is there a start new thread button IMMEDIATELY next to the reply button?  That's just a wonderful UI fail at work there. 

And the boards previously were nicely understated.  I felt physically assaulted when the circus loaded.  I can support a desire for a more vibrant news page and presence, that's a great place for working on pizzazz.  The boards should be business-like and easy on the eyes, we spend hours there at times.

post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

WHY is there a start new thread button IMMEDIATELY next to the reply button?  That's just a wonderful UI fail at work there. 

I know; I'm confused by that as well.

Oh, and the "Reply" button in every post. I hit it every time thinking I'm going to reply TO that post (meaning a quote) but nope.

post #11 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Personally I like the idea of like, dislike buttons rather than having to hear endless amounts of horseshit replies to horseshit troll posts.

Perfection to me would be to add a few other buttons... "get stuffed!" "are you fucking kidding!" "give your head a shake!" "about time someone made sense"  etc.

Engadget had a dissolve feature when you down commented a thread. The text would get lighter and lighter until it was no longer visible. Of course, that just made me want to do a Control+A on the page to read the train wreck of a comment people were downgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And the boards previously were nicely understated.  I felt physically assaulted when the circus loaded.  I can support a desire for a more vibrant news page and presence, that's a great place for working on pizzazz.  The boards should be business-like and easy on the eyes, we spend hours there at times.

So far I'm liking the updated UI. My only complain is that it override's Safari's Control+Click feature for theirs which makes in possible to even do something as simpler as right-click a misspelled word with the red wiggly line below it so I can choose the properly spelled one.

post #12 of 30

Forum link with number of replies is back now - be patient!  I'm sure it will all settle over the next day or two...

I for one quite like the new design, and being in web/software development I am all for an iterative migration policy where features are re-enabled once the powers that be know they are good to go and not before.  Quite an Apple-like policy I guess??  ;)

post #13 of 30
"The rich text editor is not compatible with your browser"

I'm on an iPad.

Anybody else getting a broken text editor when using one of Apple's most popular devices on an Apple-related site?
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #14 of 30
Wow this has become a complete nightmare. Opera doesn't work, Chome doesn't work, forget about using the site on a phone. Sorry for complaining as I'm sure you guys worked hard but I was wondering if there was a way to choose classic Appleinsider. I don't think I can use this new site the way it is, it takes almost 4 times the amount of clicks to do anything and that's if the clicks are even registered.

I think I'll I stick with Macrumors for a while until things can be sorted out here.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #15 of 30
Yes, just tried it, even worse then Chrome, I find Dolphin seems to be the best browser to use as of yet.
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"The rich text editor is not compatible with your browser"

I'm on an iPad.

Anybody else getting a broken text editor when using one of Apple's most popular devices on an Apple-related site?

Mate, you should try it on an iPhone, it's hell.

I might try some manual formatting, as I get that error.

Bold

Italic
Quote:
Old school
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #17 of 30
They are using huddler

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/22/huddler-wants-to-turn-your-online-forum-into-a-moneymaker/

And it is idiotic to have switched before huddler had an editor that works on mobile safari.

"some backlash"? Meh. Just bog stupid. There are ios apps to make forums nicer for vbulletin and ubb but they never bothered to upgrade. Now they moved to a company with essentially zero iOS support. Brilliant.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

They are using huddler

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/22/huddler-wants-to-turn-your-online-forum-into-a-moneymaker/

And it is idiotic to have switched before huddler had an editor that works on mobile safari.

"some backlash"? Meh. Just bog stupid. There are ios apps to make forums nicer for vbulletin and ubb but they never bothered to upgrade. Now they moved to a company with essentially zero iOS support. Brilliant.

Hmmm, Safari on my MacBook only has the "Reply" button whereas my iPhone has all the buttons (quote, multi-quote etc).

The text box on an iPhone is too wide, to make it large enough to read requires manual pinching (unpinching?) and scrolling side to side in order to read.

Double tapping makes the font very small.

Edit.

I think I've figured some of it out, to see the missing buttons, you have to unblock ads, by making them like an ad, fiendishly clever and that is where the extra revenue comes from.
Edited by hill60 - 4/20/12 at 2:36pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think I've figured some of it out, to see the missing buttons, you have to unblock ads, by making them like an ad, fiendishly clever and that is where the extra revenue comes from.

That's… not the case, though. Unless you have a manually stricter ad filter, that is.

I'm sort of bothered by the placement of the "New Thread" and "(in-post) Reply" buttons, but otherwise it seems pretty good.

They moved the post edit button, which takes some getting used to. And I think we should release right-click functionality. I hate websites that think they can tell me what my computer can do, you know?

post #20 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's… not the case, though. Unless you have a manually stricter ad filter, that is.

I'm sort of bothered by the placement of the "New Thread" and "(in-post) Reply" buttons, but otherwise it seems pretty good.

They moved the post edit button, which takes some getting used to. And I think we should release right-click functionality. I hate websites that think they can tell me what my computer can do, you know?

Found out what is was...

...it helps to log in first.

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Found out what is was...

...it helps to log in first.

Oh, I had that problem when we switched over, too. I'm like, "Wait, wh-oh, crap, they demoted me. I can't see any mod feat…oh, I'm not logged in." lol.gif

post #22 of 30
Well this is funny, the OS browser combo that I found to work the best for the new Appleinsider is with my Chromebook. The site is still buggy as all hell but I'm sure it will be fixed soon. Until then please consider having an option in the users profile to use the classic Appleinsider. It wasn't fancy but it was fast and it worked. I thought Apple users were into the philosophy less is more, this new site is kind of a sensory overload.

My biggest complaint is that the rows aren't full width. I understand you guys need a column for adds but it is such a waste of space and very frustrating. Also why does the site show me logged in but when I click on reply I have to login, weird. I can't express to you guys enough as to how much I dislike the look and functionality of this new site. You really should have had a beta site setup so people could have made comments and test the functionality before releasing.
post #23 of 30

The new design is wasting so much screen space it makes it a lot harder to read AI Forums.

Not liking this at all.  I am seriously considering not reading the forums anymore.

This whole shift in column width - within every thread - due to the new side panel is particularly annoying, and especially so when reading it on an iPad.
One is constantly forced to zoom in and out on every page depending on whether reading the first few items or later ones.  

How frustrating...

Picture says more than 1000 words: 

AI_width.png

What's with this whole wasted side space and all around?

Presumably for more ads in the future...  

Great!  Not.

Here is a before / after comparison of exactly the same page which clearly shows how wasteful the new design is.  The actual content starts much further below and is shrunk into a  tiny area  - as if it's the least important part...

Very bad for forums IMHO where it is all about the content.

AI_before.png AI_after.png

There is so much more stuff on these pages now that the very same page suddenly needs a large scrollbar as it all doesn't even fit anymore.  Or in other words: this page turned into a massive scrollfest.

No longer fun.  Really.

post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The new design is wasting so much screen space it makes it a lot harder to read AI Forums.

Not liking this at all.  I am seriously considering not reading the forums anymore.

Huh. I don't have that. 

Quote:
No longer fun.  Really.

Yes, and vBulletin was a basket of roses when we first switched to it. I'm certain there will be improvements over time.

post #25 of 30

It might be a admin thing, or someone might have revealed that they have some ad-block or flash blocking plug-in's running. I haven't dealt with either for a while but this redesign might make it worth it if I can get the right three inches of the screen back.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It might be a admin thing, or someone might have revealed that they have some ad-block or flash blocking plug-in's running. I haven't dealt with either for a while but this redesign might make it worth it if I can get the right three inches of the screen back.

Does changing your settings to what I have here help?

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 11.27.55 AM.png

post #27 of 30
I did two things. First I changed my default editor back to BBCode. It stops the page from hiccuping past the editor as I scroll down. Second, I had the same issue as hobBIT but had already changed the preference you mentioned. It is specifically caused by the large and obtrusive flash ads that take up three inches of space approximately on the far right of my screen. As I said, I hope I'm not getting you in trouble but the ads are conspicuously absent on your screen and all I'll add is after about a minute search and a plug-in install, my screen now resembles yours with no problems. I can add that with this "adjustment" the forum runs beautifully although the spacing is a still too large. but at least now when you do all the scrolling to deal with the fact that all the spacing is massive, the browser isn't hiccuping past the four or so flash ads on each page.

So the transition has been pretty painless in terms of legacy data it appears. If they can tighten up the design a bit, relocate and improve the ads and those of us who care can change the editor, it seems like all would be good.

EDIT: Tried a flash blocker and the bad spacing is still there with flash symbol allowing unblock. The one non-flash ad was viewable but blocked or viewable, the spacing stinks.

I hope this shows what I am talking about. You can see who's viewing, the space for the flash ad and then the transition from the narrowed columns to the full screen width columns.
Edited by trumptman - 4/21/12 at 9:23am

post #28 of 30
You can customise the forum view to look however you want. There is a site-specific CSS Safari extension:

http://code.grid.in.th/

Once installed, you can right-click a page, choose 'Manage User CSS' and then fill in the details with the domain being http://forums.appleinsider.com*

You can try the following CSS code for example:

#sidebar{
display:none;
}
#header-area{
height:50px !important;
overflow:hidden !important;
max-height:50px !important;
min-height:50px !important;
}
.ad{
display:none !important;
}
.forum-post-tools{
margin-top:0px !important;
}
.sig_buffer{
height:50px;
}
#forum-navbar-top{
display:none !important;
}
.post-sig{
padding-left:10px !important;
padding-right:10px !important;
}
.logo{
position:absolute;
top:-55px;
}
#footer-content{
}
#forum-navbar-btm{
}

Make sure the CSS filter is enabled, hit save and reload the forum page. This sort of thing should be possible on iOS too using a bookmarklet that appends CSS to the page but you probably have to execute that for every page you visit.

At least the BBCode editor lets you post on iOS and you can also set the forum options to keep the thread view at a fixed width so on the iPad, you just zoom into the left.
post #29 of 30

Overall I don't like the look.  There are some nice features in the reply box (the WYSIWYG editor) but there are other issues: 

• HTML tags don't work
  • There doesn't seem to be a way to reply-quote and parse the the post with the [/quote] tag (break it into multiple quotes for point-by-point replies)
  • Screen real estate is not used efficiently. It looks very cluttered.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #30 of 30

Thanks guys for all the help so far.  

So maybe there is hope.

@Tallest Ski:
I tried those settings, but as with trumptman this does not help.  ;-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
You can customise the forum view to look however you want. There is a site-specific CSS Safari extension:
http://code.grid.in.th/

How does this work on an iPad?
(These days I do most of my forum browsing on my iPad...)

Perhaps getting good usability back could be solved on AI's side - not via users customizing their browsers with special plugins and settings.

Especially as iOS device browsers are not as customizable yet.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Site Redesign