or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › The new forums seem to be rather nice!

The new forums seem to be rather nice! - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Three ads are to many? I look at this way I'm not willing to pay a subscription to the site so I have to put up with advertising. Frankly on an iPad they are hardly noticeable. I just zoom to content on the iPad and ignore the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I am not a fan of the new forums to much lost space.  and they seem very slow also.  I like some of the new features for post editing but two many ad's eating up space on the screen. 

Can't really use it on the iphone like to could the just not a good use in screen space.

Adnittedly it is pretty pathetic on an iPhone but I would suspect an optimized version is coming for that.
Quote:

This was a daily stopping point for me on the web but not anymore.

Yeah you may say that but of all the updates I've seen to various sites over the last few months this is possibly the least painful.
post #42 of 73

Something about this update just grinds my gears.  I have bit my tongue and tried to like it, but alas it makes me want to stab someone.  This upgrade sucks dick.  Big floppy donkey dick.

NO SIR I DONT LIKE IT.

(even putting in a disparaging smilie is substandard - this iteration sucks arse)

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #43 of 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Something about this update just grinds my gears.  I have bit my tongue and tried to like it, but alas it makes me want to stab someone.  This upgrade sucks dick.  Big floppy donkey dick.

NO SIR I DONT LIKE IT.

(even putting in a disparaging smilie is substandard - this iteration sucks arse)

Here are the smilies lol.gif

Clicked on all eighteen smilies and all I got was laughy **** off man.  :head shake smilie that does not exist: 

post #44 of 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I got a bit nervous after the forums went down fearing you would screw things up like 9to5 did. So far the new arrangement seems to be very much improved with no glaring negatives. Hopefully after a day or two it will feel fine again.
Thanks for the update.

There's one BIG problem with the new forums.

On every Mac browser, cmd-L is the command for highlighting the URL field. So if I want to go to a new web page, I type cmd-L and then the web address.

With this forum, that doesn't work. cmd-L brings up a preferences page. That's annoying and inconsistent with the way every browser works. Please fix it.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Three ads are to many? I look at this way I'm not willing to pay a subscription to the site so I have to put up with advertising. Frankly on an iPad they are hardly noticeable. I just zoom to content on the iPad and ignore the rest.
Yeah you may say that but of all the updates I've seen to various sites over the last few months this is possibly the least painful.

Well I just tried to Quote your reply to me and this is all I got when doing it.   The first time I just hit Reply and it opened up a pop window of the main site rather then a place to post a reply.  On another attempt to reply when viewing the post the only option shown was to reply multi "" and Quote did not even show up on the screen.  

As far as the Ad's most of the time the graphic never comes in on the display.   This new update sucks and is very buggy to say the least.

The old site really worked well and on machine or browser I used.  This new site is just not a move in the right direction IMO.

Edited by Gizmo-xl - 4/28/12 at 7:35am
post #46 of 73

I'm not a fan of the update either. It's very inefficient. Far too much wasted space. The tighter design of the previous version allowed for scrolling through multiple replies very quickly, this is one is tedious.

The previous poster's response that he wouldn't come here might be extreme, but I understand the sentiment. I don't post much, but I do read the threads everyday. It's been a very quick and efficient way to get up to date on the goings on in the world of Apple for a longtime. This is no longer the case. The one thing that drew me to this site over the others is now gone, so I probably won't come here nearly as often either.

post #47 of 73
I understand the dissent, and agree with a good share of it. I see the new forum is a work in progress. The old forum was starting to be dated, it had maintainability and administration issues. The moderators are gathering a list of items we would like to see addressed.
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
The moderators are gathering a list of items we would like to see addressed.

And I'm sure we welcome a list from users, too.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #49 of 73

Mixed emotions about the new and improved AI.  I liked being able to see new (to me) postings and threads all in one place; however, in the same vein, I didn't like them mixed with ones I wasn't interested in.  Is there a way to call up only postings and threads that I can specifically request and have them show as 'in the last 24 hours, last week", etc as before?  If there is not, could that be addressed?

ADS
ADS
post #50 of 73

I load AI out of habit.  Now I get to the first page and think why am I here.  

post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
I load AI out of habit.  Now I get to the first page and think why am I here.  

That's not very helpful. What would you change?

post #52 of 73

One thing I've noticed is that similies are still not working.  We only have the lol.gif.  Nothing else works.  Also, since my latest Safari update on OS X, that one displays as flashing.   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #53 of 73

Loving the new forum. The post editor is a treat under Opera for Win7. The cursor jumps around the text field in a most unpredictable fashion, providing endless entertainment. The only reliable way to edit a quote is by editing the HTML directly. Finally a forum where my modest coding skills give me an edge :)

post #54 of 73

I guess I'll pile on about the spell check thing-- an Apple forum that breaks Safari's spell check functionality seems pretty ass backward.  That and the difficulty of breaking up a quoted post for specific responses are really basic usability issues.

My guess is the site ownership doesn't really give a shit.  The Huddler pitch has to do with monetizing your forums, not making them particularly better.  Everything AI does, and has done for years, is about maximizing income.  At one time this was kind of an Apple community, with most of the threads generated by the users.  Now it's a place where people only respond to threads off the main news page, which seem to be designed to create flame wars which drives eyeballs.  Kind of a shame.

You can't stop it.
You can't stop it.
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Posting this from an iPad this forum is subclass. It is no longer about the members. Look at the amount of posts from members. signal is right, you look for new posts and you get the overlord propaganda. Where are the people?
post #56 of 73

Uhm, new look is only new look for sake of being new look. The circa 2010-2011/12'ish appleinsider was optimal. This "new" look seems rather pointless and a change for the sake of change.

There are certainly minor improvements which others have pointed out, yet the overall look is…much like dying one's hair…which seems different, but really just ads noise to the signal.

edit: wtf is the epic amount of wasted space going on…on the right side of my browser? It's…weird….

I feel like..someone just took the most "serious" and "adult" and "intelligent" user-base "rumour" site and merged its UI with the average IQ/EQ of macrumors.com resulting in a bastardized sub-moronic derp'ed UI. So sad. I've been coming to this site for 10 years of my life (the _only_ site I've been going to for that long) and…it's just fucked. I hate the UI. There's something hollow and wrong and cheap about it.

take a look at macrumors.com forums.. the space, the simplicity..the utility…you guys had UI flow (MR still has it)…yet you've lost it. WTF?

I feel like this site is suffering from mixed bilirubinemia.

sigh. good…luck.

another edit: No, No, No. I can't believe I'm seeing what I'm seeing here. Has anyone here involved in the UI flow-through ever seen a site like reddit? If so, how do you compare/justify what's going on with AI compared to reddit? Even the colours and fonts here just blow. There is a muddling of distinctions between elements which causes the former designer in me to vomit. Sigh. SIGH. SIGH!!!!

Edited by user23 - 5/24/12 at 8:03pm
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by user23 View Post

Uhm, new look is only new look for sake of being new look. The circa 2010-2011/12'ish appleinsider was optimal. This "new" look seems rather pointless and a change for the sake of change.

There are certainly minor improvements which others have pointed out, yet the overall look is…much like dying one's hair…which seems different, but really just ads noise to the signal.

edit: wtf is the epic amount of wasted space going on…on the right side of my browser? It's…weird….

I feel like..someone just took the most "serious" and "adult" and "intelligent" user-base "rumour" site and merged its UI with the average IQ/EQ of macrumors.com resulting in a bastardized sub-moronic derp'ed UI. So sad. I've been coming to this site for 10 years of my life (the _only_ site I've been going to for that long) and…it's just fucked. I hate the UI. There's something hollow and wrong and cheap about it.

take a look at macrumors.com forums.. the space, the simplicity..the utility…you guys had UI flow (MR still has it)…yet you've lost it. WTF?

I feel like this site is suffering from mixed bilirubinemia.

sigh. good…luck.

another edit: No, No, No. I can't believe I'm seeing what I'm seeing here. Has anyone here involved in the UI flow-through ever seen a site like reddit? If so, how do you compare/justify what's going on with AI compared to reddit? Even the colours and fonts here just blow. There is a muddling of distinctions between elements which causes the former designer in me to vomit. Sigh. SIGH. SIGH!!!!

This is why I had to resign a client. I was trying to encourage them to go to a private beta rather than hard switchover on a project we were working on. Aside from her personal problems, she just.didn't.get.it.

post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is why I had to resign a client. I was trying to encourage them to go to a private beta rather than hard switchover on a project we were working on. Aside from her personal problems, she just.didn't.get.it.

In the case of this site, there was a private beta, but I don't think they let any of the regular members, so it was a very small test, no more than 10 people. I don't think the forum designers or programmers have had to administer a forum like Vbulletin or anything similar. The back end is probably fine for a lower traffic web site, but the people that have to moderate or administer it on the AI side don't seem happy with the switch.
post #59 of 73

I know I'm being repetitive; however, I feel compelled to bring this up again. As much as I like the new AI insider format, there is something that causes a feeling that I am disconnected to it. In the old format, I could go directly to all the new posts and threads that were made in the last twenty four hours and catch up on all the latest news. I did wish to be able to select just the forums I was interested in and leave out the ones I wasn't. At least I could find them all in one place. A Push, so to speak.

Now, I have to go to each individual forum to catch up on the latest. A Pull, so to speak.  Please, AI Admins, bring back the twenty four hour latest news forum.  This time, let me pick and choose what i want to know about.  OR failing that, let me build my own last twenty four hour forum.  Going from forum to forum to get the latest is not my idea of an ideal system. IMO, It is a huge step backward. It leaves a large gap between AI and me.

Thanks for listening; that is IF you are listening.  Or are you like Apple and our politicians who just ignore what your constituents (who keep you in business) have to say and what they want?

Case in point: In the old format, this post would be included in the latest twenty four hour forum for all to read; however,in this new and improved format if no one specifically goes to this feedback thread, they won't know about this posting.

Edited by sequitur - 6/3/12 at 9:55am
ADS
ADS
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
I did wish to be able to select just the forums I was interested in and leave out the ones I wasn't.

You could do that with vBulletin with some JavaScript wizardry, and you could bookmark it, I believe, but I remember it not being able to be set up in Top Sites. But that's me; I actually use Top Sites. lol.gif

I don't remember the format, and it's irrelevant now, anyway. But yeah, that would have been great to block out PoliticalOutsider entirely.

Quote:
Now, I have to go to each individual forum to catch up on the latest.

But you don't need to do that. Something you couldn't do with vBulletin was bookmark (or Top Site) the "new posts" page at all. You can do that now with Huddler! That's the ONLY page I ever view in the forum! 

post #61 of 73

Quote:
Now, I have to go to each individual forum to catch up on the latest.

But you don't need to do that. Something you couldn't do with vBulletin was bookmark (or Top Site) the "new posts" page at all. You can do that now with Huddler! That's the ONLY page I ever view in the forum! 

I'm not familiar with Huddler. Googling it was no help.  Where do I find it and how do I use it?

ADS
ADS
post #62 of 73
Quote:
I'm not familiar with Huddler. Googling it was no help.  Where do I find it and how do I use it?

It's this link right here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you want.

post #63 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

It's this link right here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you want.

It says new posts and the first one is dated today; however, the second one is dated back in '09 and the rest are mixed dates. I'd like the last 24 hours or at least in some kind of date order. Is there a way to access that?

Edit: when I went back and looked, they were mixed in a different way. 

ADS
ADS
post #64 of 73
Quote:
It says new posts and the first one is dated today; however, the second one is dated back in '09 and the rest are mixed dates. I'd like the last 24 hours or at least in some kind of date order. Is there a way to access that?

Edit: when I went back and looked, they were mixed in a different way. 

Weird. Do you have anything turned off (or on), by chance? It always shows up properly for me (newest first, descending). Not sure why (or how) it would mess up post dates. 

post #65 of 73

Re-booted computer. Red face. Don't know if that were the problem or not, but New Posts seems to be working now. 

Thanks for your patience.

ADS
ADS
post #66 of 73

I'm being repetitive, but I still can't find a way to see the new posts I haven't read before.  I can find new posts, but having to guess as to which ones I've already read is not user friendly.  In the last version of AI, unread posts for the last 24 hours or the last week were available.

Is there a way to bring up JUST the posts I haven't read yet?

ADS
ADS
post #67 of 73
Quote:

I just posted (indulge me this one cross-post)... I suggest AppleInsider get a full refund from the forum developers and start again.
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I just posted (indulge me this one cross-post)... I suggest AppleInsider get a full refund from the forum developers and start again.

I agree. Unfortunately, even us moderators don't seem to have any pull with those who make that decision.
post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I am not a fan of the new forums to much lost space.  and they seem very slow also.  I like some of the new features for post editing but two many ad's eating up space on the screen. 

Can't really use it on the iphone like to could the just not a good use in screen space.

This was a daily stopping point for me on the web but not anymore.

I agree. Who wants to stop and wait for the forum to catch up with their typing? When it get's bogged down that way it's almost unusable. 

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #70 of 73

While the new (and improved???) AppleInsider may be pretty, it left out the aspect that made it user friendly to me.  The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc.  It wasn't perfect as you had to wade through the stuff you weren't interested in.  If there had been a way to ask and receive just what you were looking for, it would have been almost perfect. At least, all the latest posts were in ONE place.

Why does new and improved have to mean leaving out great aspects of the previous version?  I see that Apple itself does that.

Now one must go to each individual forum and guess which posts he has already read.  

Fuggedaboutit.  I find it much too time consuming and UNuser friendly.  I quit trying to find the posts I haven't read and only go to AI when I have a problem or suggestion.  The new version has taken all the fun and life out of reading the posts.  I will not struggle through the maze again.

I have repeatedly mentioned this but to no avail.  

I wonder if AI's advertisers are aware that some (many?) members have turned their backs and refuse to jump through the hoops of the new AI version?  It's too bad I can't contact them all and tell them how AI has been spoiled and their advertising money is going down the drain. Not a great advertising ploy.  AI, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Maybe I'm alone in this. Maybe the rest of you don't care.  Maybe you don't mind hunting through layers to find a few nuggets.  If so, mea culpa.  

Thank you for allowing me to let off steam again.  I'll find another forum that is more user friendly and just occasionally come back to hear what old friends have to say. 

ADS
ADS
post #71 of 73
The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc. 

Sorts by time, newest first.

If there had been a way to ask and receive just what you were looking for, it would have been almost perfect. 

MacRumors (vBulletin) had the Forum Spy, which wasn't good for looking at posts when you weren't around, but could be customized to ignore whatever subforums you didn't want to see while you were there. 

I don't think there's a forum software that combines the two and gives you what you want. I'd sure love to never see PO crap. lol.gif

post #72 of 73
Quote:

The previous version allowed the user to find the latest posts for the last 24 hours; one week; etc. 

Sorts by time, newest first.

I understand.  Is there a way to show what I've read previously? The old version did.
ADS
ADS
post #73 of 73

Screwed that up and made it worse by trying to fix it.

ADS
ADS
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › The new forums seem to be rather nice!