A "buttclown"? Name calling and cheap insults aside, Biden is more a threat than a mere fool.
Bear in mind that then Senator Biden had taken the oath of office for a US Senator: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God".
In February, 1995, he introduced a bill into Congress called the Omnibus Anti Terrorism Bill. This legislation was draconian, and the US Patriot Act of 2001 shares much of its more
extreme content, such as:
* It would authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and associations;
* repeal the ancient provision (Posse Comitatus) barring the U.S. military from civilian law enforcement;
* expand a pre-trial detention scheme that puts the burden of proof on the accused;
* loosen the carefully-crafted rules governing federal wiretaps, in violation of the Fourth Amendment;
* establish special courts that would use secret evidence to order the deportation of persons convicted of no crimes, in violation of basic principles of due process;
* permit permanent detention by the Attorney General of aliens convicted of no crimes, with no judicial review;
* give the President unreviewable power to criminalize fund-raising for lawful activities associated with unpopular causes;
* renege on the Administration’s approval in the last Congress of a provision to insure that the FBI would not investigate based on First Amendment activities; and
* resurrect the discredited ideological visa denial provisions of the McCarran Walter Act to bar foreign speakers.
In addition to being in violation of parts of the Consititution, that same document that Biden had sworn to uphold each time he claimed his seat in the Senate (and in 2009 as Vice President), this is the kind of package that is more characteristic of a totalitarian nation such as the old Soviet Union.
One might wonder why Joe Biden would make such time and effort to draft such extremist legislation, when terrorism in the United States was at the time such a rare event? From whom did he get encouragement to undertake this work? Furthermore, the chances of getting such draconian, Constitution-busting legislation through Congress, without any reason to justify it, seems peculiar at the very least.
When asked about this, Biden claimed that this pending legislation was in response to the Oklahoma City bombing. However, the bill was introduced into Congress on February 10, 1995, nearly two and a half months *prior* to the OKC bombing, which was on April 19, 2005. Biden lied.
This bill eventually never made it to the president's desk - for whatever reason. Perhaps it raised too many red flags amongst lawmakers? Perhaps it was deemed as being too extreme and paranoid, and as such OKC was not enough of a "shock and awe" event to galvanize the public into voluntarily giving up on their rights so easily?