or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits surge 94% on sales of 35.1M iPhones, 11.8M iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple profits surge 94% on sales of 35.1M iPhones, 11.8M iPads

post #1 of 87
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday announced its best-ever second fiscal quarter, as the company saw its earnings rise 94 percent to $11.6 billion, or $12.30 per diluted share, on quarterly revenue of $39.19 billion.

The results compare to revenue of $24.7 billion and net profit of $6.0 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 47.4 percent compared to 41.4 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 64 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

The Company sold 35.1 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 88 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 11.8 million iPads during the quarter, a 151 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 7.7 million iPods, a 15 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

"We're thrilled with sales of over 35 million iPhones and almost 12 million iPads in the March quarter," said Tim Cook, Apple?s CEO. "The new iPad is off to a great start, and across the year you're going to see a lot more of the kind of innovation that only Apple can deliver."

"Our record March quarter results drove $14 billion in cash flow from operations," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. "Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter, we expect revenue of about $34 billion and diluted earnings per share of about $8.68."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2012 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT on April 24, 2012 at apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq212, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.
post #2 of 87

Wow...awesome results.  Bravo Apple, bravo.

post #3 of 87
And they're just getting started.
post #4 of 87

And the stock plummets three hundred points because this wasn't good enough. lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #5 of 87

Idiots who sold the stock due to headline grabbing mind-controlling jitters.


Do not bet against Apple, not right now!

post #6 of 87

Yowsa, Yowsa, Yowsa... Huzzah!

 

I knew AAPL would get back above $600 -- just didn't realize it would be from $560 and within 20 minutes....


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 4/24/12 at 1:56pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #7 of 87

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

post #8 of 87

All I can see is... DDaaaaaannnnggg!

I think China has a lot to do with this.  Credit also goes to Tim Cook for keeping the supply lines running better and getting more of the product out there.

Now bring out the Ivy Bridge products and get things moving for the next quarter!

Way to go Apple!!  While my friends were winking at me about my AAPL going down, I just laughed in their faces.  I look forward to seeing them tomorrow morning and watching them eat crow.

post #9 of 87

Haha. Here's a big **** You to all of the retards, doubters and useless analysts out there who do nothing but spread shit, nonsense and lies about Apple. 

 

Those who doubted the mighty Apple juggernaut have been made to look like complete morons and incompetent fools yet again.

 

edit - So I can't curse on this forum anymore? That is depressing. 

post #10 of 87

 

Quote from an earlier post today:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

If Apple doesn't get over $40 billion revenue, we'll see the stock go back to $500.

 

Apple revenue came in at $39 billion.  The stock is over $600 in after-market trading.

 

Tally, you are so bad.  You should stop posting. lol.gif

 

 

 

 


Edited by AppleGreen - 4/24/12 at 2:00pm
post #11 of 87

I hope all the lilly livered profit takers had their fun... Because I know this is exactly what was going to happen! :p

post #12 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post
Apple revenue came in at $39 billion.  The stock is over $600 in after-market trading.

 

 

Tally, you are so bad.  You should stop posting.

 

Better give up my job as an analyst, then. Nahh, I'll just report on a something I "heard in China". That'll do the trick.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #13 of 87

AAPL will reach $700 by the end of the week.

post #14 of 87

i heard many in are impressed by ip4s' camera and want to get it even though they can only work on chine mobile at edge on data. 

post #15 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I hope all the lilly livered profit takers had their fun... Because I know this is exactly what was going to happen! :p

 

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #16 of 87

Good grief, look at gross margin, up 6% Y/Y to 47.6%.

post #17 of 87

I think there is one important comparison that needs to be made between Apple’s earnings report and that of Microsoft’s: Apple is now a more profitable company by net income margins as well. 29.6% for Apple vs. 29.3% for MS ($11.6 billion net income on revenues of $39.2 billion vs. $5.1 billion on $17.4 billion). Heck, it seems it won’t be long before Apple’s net income catches up with Microsoft’s revenues.

 

Pretty amazing... A hardware company with better margins than the world's largest software company... Nice... I guess all the naysayers, pundits, trolls, and haters can crawl back into their holes now.

post #18 of 87
What to make of the guidance? Lower than I would have thought, but might be the typical 40% low thing.

Happy to see it back closer to where it should be. I'm comfortable to around $660 for the next quarter, after which things might be a little too hot.

I do think the iPad is starting to hit a point of inflection though on increased enterprise adoption. Here's hoping for 16MM next quarter.
post #19 of 87

My out of my *ss guessing had 60 million iphones 40 million ipads in the qtr. major disappointment.

 

/s

post #20 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

I think there is one important comparison that needs to be made between Apple’s earnings report and that of Microsoft’s: Apple is now a more profitable company by net income margins as well. 29.6% for Apple vs. 29.3% for MS ($11.6 billion net income on revenues of $39.2 billion vs. $5.1 billion on $17.4 billion). Heck, it seems it won’t be long before Apple’s net income catches up with Microsoft’s revenues.

Pretty amazing... A hardware company with better margins than the world's largest software company... Nice... I guess all the naysayers, pundits, trolls, and haters can crawl back into their holes now.

To be fair, most of Microsoft has been floundering for over a decade. Office and Windows have to support a lot of dead weight.
post #21 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

What to make of the guidance? Lower than I would have thought, but might be the typical 40% low thing.
Happy to see it back closer to where it should be. I'm comfortable to around $660 for the next quarter, after which things might be a little too hot.
I do think the iPad is starting to hit a point of inflection though on increased enterprise adoption. Here's hoping for 16MM next quarter.

 


I don't think you can even hope for iPad sales above 14 million until the holiday quarter.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #22 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

 

Apple's forward statement is always soft.  Everybody knows that and we all ignore it.

 

Apple has $115 per share in cash.  It trades at 9 times forward earnings ex-cash.

 

I am counting my chickens, roosters, hens, and every other farm animal....lol.gif

post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Good grief, look at gross margin, up 6% Y/Y to 47.6%.

Impressive, but is it too high? What gave that much of a boost-- 600 basis points is really a 15% jump.
post #24 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

 

 

Apple's forward statement is always soft.  Everybody knows that and we all ignore it.

 

Apple has $115 per share in cash.  It trades at 9 times forward earnings ex-cash.

 

I am counting my chickens, roosters, hens, and every other farm animal....lol.gif

 


Not everyone ignores it.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #25 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 


Not everyone ignores it.

 

Those who have chosen not to ignore it have missed the massive run-up in the stock.  Or worse, been short.  Ouch !!

post #26 of 87

I did a few changes on my option holding before the close:

 

I had at the close:

 

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

 

Bought shares on my wife account at 560.

post #27 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. Here's a big **** You to all of the retards, doubters and useless analysts out there who do nothing but spread shit, nonsense and lies about Apple. 

 

Those who doubted the mighty Apple juggernaut have been made to look like complete morons and incompetent fools yet again.

 

edit - So I can't curse on this forum anymore? That is depressing. 

 

Your need to curse has been trumped by all the losers who sold in the past couple of days: can you imagine how they feel, with AI's new policy? lol.gif

 

PS: The only thing that makes me want to curse is AI's new look and feel. It's depressing, really. Btw, WTF is up with the fact that half the icons don't respond to touch on an iPad!?

post #28 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 

Don't count your chickens etc... Apple's forward statement was rather soft.

 

par for the RDF course.

post #29 of 87

Today was a great day to buy on the downs.

post #30 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I did a few changes on my option holding before the close:

 

I had at the close:

 

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

 

Bought shares on my wife account at 560.

 

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $562, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

post #31 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Idiots who sold the stock due to headline grabbing mind-controlling jitters.


Do not bet against Apple, not right now!

 

Nothing wrong with dirtbag shorts trying to fool stockholders into panicking and selling... People really should learn to ignore the shorts.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

 

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $560, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

 

Why? I like herb talking about his trades. I'd rather he posted his trades as he makes them, however.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Today was a great day to buy on the downs.

 

I suppose. I've been in 'buy and hold' mode for some time now. I don't trust all the "free cash" sloshing around in the market right now. Bernanke is setting up this country for another massive bubble.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

 

 

Those who have chosen not to ignore it have missed the massive run-up in the stock.  Or worse, been short.  Ouch !!

 

See... you have no idea what you are talking about.

 

The forward guidance for the holiday quarter was $37 billion.... far above the numbers announced at that time for the previous quarter. Knowing that Apple is always conservative you would have had to been a fool to not know that there was going to be a run up at some point soon after that time (middle of October or so).

 

Had Apple guided $28 billion at that time the run up wouldn't have been so great and right now we are guiding down and, most likely, in July they will guide down again... until the guidance for the holiday quarter.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #35 of 87

Whoever did buy 5000 shares at 562 just made $200,000 in a very short time period. Too bad it wasn't me. :)

post #36 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

 

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $562, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

 

Not sure he was boasting, just saying.  That was like less than $1k in contracts..  The August $550 call was a great deal today. 

post #37 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

AAPL will reach $700 by the end of the week.

 

That would be what you'd call 'a heck of a sling shot effect' if it does!    Here's hoping ... but I'd settle for mid 600s this week ...  :)

Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #38 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

 

Stop boasting about your trades. I could tell you that I bought 5000 shares at $562, but I won't because you have no way to assess if that was true.

 

C'mon... if you're going to boast say that you bought 10,000 shares at $20 pre-split...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #39 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I did a few changes on my option holding before the close:

 

I had at the close:

 

1 x 550 april put

2 x 570 may calls

1 x 550 august call

1 x 550 october call

1 x 550 jan2013 call.

 

Bought shares on my wife account at 560.

 

My guess is that you will do very well except for the put.  If you don't mind me asking, how much did the options cost?

post #40 of 87

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 


I don't think you can even hope for iPad sales above 14 million until the holiday quarter.

 

The new iPad was only available the last 2 weeks of the quarter and they managed to sell 11.8 millions iPads total.  +14 million with a full quarter of new iPad sales doesn't seem too tough. 

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits surge 94% on sales of 35.1M iPhones, 11.8M iPads