or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to kick off 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11 - Page 2

post #41 of 70
The squares in the image look like iOS icon squares and they are all different sizes but rendered perfectly at all sizes. This is one thing iOS doesn't have, nor does the Mac OS - resolution independence.

Mountain Lion and iOS 6 will hopefully scale perfectly across all screen sizes to the extent that the vectorised UI elements allow.
post #42 of 70

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Exactly. You have to start them off with the number first, to get them on the right track.

 

It's amazing that people still say 'iPhone 5' after the release of the iPad…

 

What is amazing is that you have such a personal investment in the name of the next iPhone. 

 

For your sake I hope you are right. How tall is the Geostationary Tower? 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
What is amazing is that you have such a personal investment in the name of the next iPhone. 

 

For your sake I hope you are right. How tall is the Geostationary Tower? 

 

Let's just say I'm a champion of common sense.

 

It'd be, what, 36,000 kilometers, or thereabouts.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #44 of 70

YAAAAaaaahooooooo ! Now I can start breathing again..... And I can smell the sweet smell of apples in the AIR producing visions of PRO's of every kind blasting lightning speed spectrum's of Retina Colors sparkling all over the room while every picture in my iCloud renders perfectly on the walls and every program running at the same time on the ceiling and floors as I levitate into the iCloud!!!!! :-)

post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by not1lost View Post

YAAAAaaaahooooooo ! Now I can start breathing again..... And I can smell the sweet smell of apples in the AIR producing visions of PRO's of every kind blasting lightning speed spectrum's of Retina Colors sparkling all over the room while every picture in my iCloud renders perfectly on the walls and every program running at the same time on the ceiling and floors as I levitate into the iCloud!!!!! :-)

 

Folks, this is what happens when you grind up an Apple product box into a powder and snort it. So for all those of us that keep our boxes, stay safe.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

iOS 6? Definitely

new iPhone? no

iPod of any kind? no

iPanel? no

iMac? no

any new hardware? no

 

This will be about delivering the GM seed for Mountain Lion and the first developer preview of iOS6, nothing more.


I disagree a little. While the focus will be software, if there is anything in the software that will leak hardware details, they will announce it at WWDC.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #47 of 70

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Folks, this is what happens when you grind up an Apple product box into a powder and snort it. So for all those of us that keep our boxes, stay safe.

 

 (-: ¿ɯɯɯɯɥ ¿ɟןǝs ɹnoʎ ʇı pǝıɹʇ ʇ,upɐɥ noʎ ɟı ʍouʞ noʎ pןnoʍ ʍoɥ

post #48 of 70

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Let the speculation begin.....

 

Will they or won't they announce.....?

 

It's a developer's conference, not a product introduction. They'll talk about Mountain Lion and iOS 6. That's it.

post #49 of 70

Apple WWDC 2012 - Intels 3D Transistors.jpg

 

LOOKS A LITTLE SUSPICIOUS TO ME....??? :-)

post #50 of 70

Just based on the logo. I am guessing there will be a iPanel introduction.

 

from small square to large square, you can see them representing iPod nano, iPhone, iPad and iPanel. 

 

And June introduction with a holiday season release is reasonable, and reduce the likelihood of info leaking.

post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

[...] Btw, any speculation on the invitation? I hate the color scheme, but I can't think of it showing significance beyond apps...


The invitation graphic is nice. Colour choice is not so bad really, in fact it is subtlety designed but the week we have been waiting for couples with the apple logo excites me... me gusta

I can only speculate but those tiles (or diamond really, not to be confused with MS tiles (read piles)) and the colour means emphasis this year is on apps, versatility (iOS/OS X convergence) and mac mini.
post #52 of 70

I really hope Apple can bring some feature parity with Android this year.  My iOS6 wish list:

 

  1. Widgets.  OS X has them.  We want them.
  2. New lock screen actions: Face unlock, Gesture Unlock, Biometric Unlock.
  3. NFC.  I'm really looking forward to ditching my wallet
  4. Improved text input (Swype)
  5. FaceTime Unlimited (3G/4G)
  6. Siri enhanced for more Voice Actions.  (I never want to have to type again.)
  7. Apple's version of Google Navigation.  (I love TomTom but it isn't integrated.)
  8. Best-in-breed camera lens with panoramic and Photo Booth effects.
  9. Enhanced connectivity with iCloud.  Free increase from 5GB to 10GB.
  10. Apple's version of Live Tiles to replace static icons.  I want to be able to get at my information quicker.  ("glance & go")
  11. Random Ringtones.  I have 150 ringtones and I'd like to hear a random one without having to jailbreak my phone.
  12. Support for larger screens.
  13. Folder space increased.
  14. New phone options like Quick Response
  15. Additional utilities like Data Usage Analysis
  16. Better app integration and app sharing.
  17. Enhanced Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities.

 

Did I miss anything?

post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post
My iOS6 wish list:

 

1. Who's 'we'?

2. Why? They've been proven not to work and to be easily crackable.

3. Yep.

4. Eh, I could take it or leave it.

5. That's for the carriers to decide.

6. Yep.

7. Yep. Though they probably never will actually do anything with those mapping companies of theirs.

8. That'd be neat.

9. Sort of pushing it. Though I imagine once Mountain Lion is out, we'll see Reminders and Notes added to iCloud.com.

10. Yeah, I can see that. Disabled on the iPhone 4, of course.

11. How would you know it's your phone in a crowded place?
12. You can already output video to larger sizes than the iPhone's.

13. Oh, is it limited on pocketable iDevices? I don't keep apps on my iPhone anymore, so I haven't tried out my hacked iOS 5.

14. Could you elaborate?

15. Don't we have that? Or do you mean by data type?

16. Sharing… OF apps, or sharing within apps?

17. Such as?

 

Quote:

Did I miss anything?

 

A Siri API.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #54 of 70

1 - We is: everyone who wants widgets (duh)

2 - Once NFC is there and my phone becomes my wallet, I want increased security like biometrics.

7 - Sarcasm isn't becoming

10 - Neither is cynicism

11 - Vibration and blinking light

12 - I'm talking about support for a larger iPhone screen.  Like 4-5 inches.

13 - Folders are limited to 12 apps.

14 - "Quick Responses For Incoming Calls" http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

15 - "Control Over Network Data" http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

16 - Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 allows apps to share data, which simples tasks like sharing.

17 - NFC Beam, Wi-Fi Direct http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

post #55 of 70

1. Well there's that. What about the rest of us?

2. Ah, you mean worsened security.

7. Nope. Legitimate worry.

10. Nope. Common sense.

12. Ah, you're one of those. lol.gif

13. Seems rather arbitrary, don't you think?

14. That's idiotic. I'd be offended if you responded to my call with a text, and I certainly wouldn't call again. Costing me freaking money with that crap.

15. Yeah, that'd be nice.

16. Hmm. It would depend on the data, I guess.

17. Can't they already do that?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Exactly. You have to start them off with the number first, to get them on the right track.

 

It's amazing that people still say 'iPhone 5' after the release of the iPad…

i still say iPad 3...the reason?  I work in a place with a fleet of iPads...versions 1-3.  The NEW iPad to us simply means the latest one we purchased.   

thats why numbers stick around... I get Apple's "go cleaner" naming scheme, however...there is a reason that version numbers exist.

post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslaght View Post
i still say iPad 3...the reason?  I work in a place with a fleet of iPads...versions 1-3.  The NEW iPad to us simply means the latest one we purchased.   

thats why numbers stick around... I get Apple's "go cleaner" naming scheme, however...there is a reason that version numbers exist.

 

Exactly, and there's nothing wrong with "iPad 3". Using "iPhone 5" to refer to an unreleased device is a problem.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #58 of 70

I am hoping for resolution independence at all levels. E.g. SVG supported next to PNG etc. With all the different resolutions and sizes out there, this is becoming a problem. Take iBooks, it is all still very much pixel oriented.

post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post
I am hoping for resolution independence at all levels. E.g. SVG supported next to PNG etc. With all the different resolutions and sizes out there, this is becoming a problem. Take iBooks, it is all still very much pixel oriented.

 

Ooh! Give me support for interactive SVG images in iBooks Author! That would be absolutely glorious, and it would solve the problem (of massive amounts of detail) that I'm going to have with my book's maps.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #60 of 70

I'm excited about a new Macbook, hopefully it'll be Retina, Ivy Bridge, and NVIDIA 600 series GPU and a monster of a battery, And released in time for Back To School.

post #61 of 70

Yeah, But SVG's are huge files compared to PNG, and they take ALOT of processing power. :/ It would be awesome if it happened though.

post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
Yeah, But SVG's are huge files compared to PNG, and they take ALOT of processing power.

 

Are they? Do they? You can't just go by viewed size; you have to go by "comparable resolution". In terms of file size, I'd imagine SVG is far smaller than PNG would be at that level of quality. Though I don't know about processing power required to open them. I've just never had trouble with any. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #63 of 70

There are no "Quality levels" with PNG< they're ALL lossless, and SVG is about ~200kb, depending on detail, a comperable PNG is about ~20kb.

post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
There are no "Quality levels" with PNG< they're ALL lossless, and SVG is about ~200kb, depending on detail, a comperable PNG is about ~20kb.

 

I don't believe we're talking about the same thing, and that's quite probably my fault.

 

I'm saying you have to look at equal visible quality in PNG and SVG and base their file sizes off of that.

 

As for 'no quality levels', tell that to Adobe.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #65 of 70
Vector support is already used by Apple in the form of PDF for resolution independent icons - PDF is good in that it can embed more than just vector paths. They have support for SVG natively in webkit so it's already available to any webkit view. Canvas is hardware-accelerated though. Even though it renders to a bitmap, any vectors drawn inside will scale.

In terms of size, SVG etc are uncompressed so they can be big but you can gzip SVG content (.svgz) or for Canvas, just use a Javascript compressor. A 2048 x 1536 pixel PNG can be quite large. Take, even the following vector:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Eiffel_tower.svg

It's about 260-270KB. A PNG version of that at 2048 x 1536 is about 270KB. The gzipped SVG is only 40KB.

They have different uses though. JPG for photos, SVG/Canvas for items than can be drawn with paths and may require transforms e.g maps or animation, PNG for items that should be lossless or require an alpha channel but have too much detail for vectors or have no vector representation.

The technology is already here, I think WWDC will just be talking about using it more and the benefits such as having scalable UIs across phones and tablets.
post #66 of 70

1. If you don't like them, don't use them.  Most Android users I know list Widgets as their top feature and why they won't use an iPhone.  So just because YOU don't like them, doesn't mean you aren't in the minority.

2. How is biometrics worse security than a PIN?  You think someone is going to cut off your finger or eye to hack into your phone?

12.  If by "one of those" you mean "one of the majority" then you would be correct.  Take a look at ALL of the other smartphones and you'll see that they are trending towards larger screens.  Since phones with larger screens are selling in larger numbers, the natural conclusion is that it's what people want.  Even if you don't.

14.  Again, that's just your perspective.  Another perspective is that if I sent a call right to VM, the other person knows this.  So if I can send them a courtesy text while still on my other call, it shows I'm not blowing them off.

17.  Not to my knowledge as these are Android innovations.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. Well there's that. What about the rest of us?

2. Ah, you mean worsened security.

7. Nope. Legitimate worry.

10. Nope. Common sense.

12. Ah, you're one of those. lol.gif

13. Seems rather arbitrary, don't you think?

14. That's idiotic. I'd be offended if you responded to my call with a text, and I certainly wouldn't call again. Costing me freaking money with that crap.

15. Yeah, that'd be nice.

16. Hmm. It would depend on the data, I guess.

17. Can't they already do that?

post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

1. If you don't like them, don't use them.  Most Android users I know list Widgets as their top feature and why they won't use an iPhone.  So just because YOU don't like them, doesn't mean you aren't in the minority.

2. How is biometrics worse security than a PIN?  You think someone is going to cut off your finger or eye to hack into your phone?

12.  If by "one of those" you mean "one of the majority" then you would be correct.  Take a look at ALL of the other smartphones and you'll see that they are trending towards larger screens.  Since phones with larger screens are selling in larger numbers, the natural conclusion is that it's what people want.  Even if you don't.

14.  Again, that's just your perspective.  Another perspective is that if I sent a call right to VM, the other person knows this.  So if I can send them a courtesy text while still on my other call, it shows I'm not blowing them off.

17.  Not to my knowledge as these are Android innovations.

 

 

1. You're implying that users could actually turn them off. Just give me live tiles.

2. No. They don't need to. They can use a PICTURE of me, or even their own faces.

12. If by "one of the majority" you mean "nowhere near", then you'd be correct. Take a look at all of the other smartphone… SALES… and you'll see that people are just dandy buying iPhones.

14. Your phone beeps. "Oh, could you hang on; I have another call." *beep* "Hey, can I call you right back? This is important. Thanks." *beep* "Apologies, where were we?"

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

1. Yep.

2. rumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumblerumbleRUMBLERUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE

 3. No. 

4. … 

5. They'll have been out for about a month.

6. Same with these, unless the Air chips take longer, then both might come out the week before WWDC.

 

Not really. They're not going back to stripes any time soon. I rather like the single color, minimalistic design.

 

 

I can't believe they'd wait, given that the iMac should easily be out by then and the MacBook Pro chips will have been out for over a month. We haven't had new hardware at WWDC for six years, so I can't imagine there being a reason for it. Except the Mac Pro, of course. It should show up at WWDC.

Can you please start to perma all dolts who refer to the sixth generation iPhone as iPhone 5?

post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post
Can you please start to perma all dolts who refer to the sixth generation iPhone as iPhone 5?

 

Oh, that's no bannable offense. I fought the fight early and we seem to be winning; the key now is to just correct it when you see it.

 

If they keep calling it that after October, then we can give 'em a good-natured ribbing about it. Unless they KEEP doing it, then… what, make sure they're not trolling, I guess.

 

Why do I get the feeling that the only thing the anti-Apple brigade will be able to troll about the next iPhone is to keep calling it "iPhone 5"? I guess that's me being too optimistic about the specs. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Are they? Do they? You can't just go by viewed size; you have to go by "comparable resolution". In terms of file size, I'd imagine SVG is far smaller than PNG would be at that level of quality. Though I don't know about processing power required to open them. I've just never had trouble with any. 

With Gzip compression, it becomes a much closer fight for the crown between SVG and PNG, and the render times I would imagine are far slower than PNG, having to calculate where each pixel is, and how the interact, instead of just displaying them like PNG.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kick off 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11