or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone

Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone

post #1 of 170
Samsung on Thursday confirmed that a new Galaxy S Smartphone set to be unveiled next week will be powered by a quad-core Exynos 4 Quad processor

The South Korean consumer electronics maker has been teasing the upcoming Galaxy device ahead of a Mobile Unpacked event in London on May 3. The handset is expected to be the third-generation of its flagship Galaxy S smartphone.

The company has released information about the new processor for the device in a bid to attract interest from other handset makers, Reuters reports.

Already in mass production, the Exynos 45 Quad chip features four of ARM's Cortex A9 cores. Clocked at 1.4GHz, the processor will be about "twice as powerful while using 20 percent less power," MacNN noted the company as saying. By switching to a 32nm process, Samsung managed to build the quad-core chip without making it bigger than existing dual-core solutions.

"Samsung said it is sampling the chips to major handset makers as it seeks to expand its customer base from Apple Inc to its handset rivals such as Nokia, HTC and Motorola," said Reuters. Though the company does manufacture microprocessors for Apple, chips bound for iOS devices are of Apple's own design.

Samsung Exynos 4 Quad chip
Samsung's Exynos 4 Quad chip, via MacNN

Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S smartphone will likely be a top competitor against Apple's iPhone. Hana Daetoo analyst Lee Ka-keun predicted earlier this month that Samsung and Apple will "engage in a full-fledged war" once both companies have released new smartphone models for the year.

Market research firms have placed the two companies neck-and-neck in their estimates of the world's largest smartphone vendors. Apple took the top spot during the holiday 2011 quarter with breakout sales of the iPhone 4S. The company revealed on Tuesday that it had sold 35 million iPhones in the March quarter.

For its part, Samsung has stopped providing sales figures for its smartphone division, though it has announced record profit for the first quarter of calendar 2012.

Apple is expected to counter its rivals with its own quad-core A-series processor later this year. After the company released the third-generation iPad with a dual-core A5X processor, some have suggested that a quad-core A6 will power the 2012 iPhone, which is rumored to arrive in October.
post #2 of 170
Twice the "performance" while using 20% less power is great but unfortunately they are probably going to advertise the hell out of it being quad-core. I wonder what people will think when dual-core Cortex-A15 has even higher performance and uses even less power?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #3 of 170

I really don't think that you can treat phones the way that computers used to be treated with these spec wars. It's a phone... if it works well then that's all the customer will worry about. It's going to be a very small percentage of customers who actually give a shit about how fast it runs.

jmho

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #4 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung on Thursday confirmed that a new Galaxy S Smartphone set to be unveiled next week running a half-baked, inefficient, power-sapping Android OS necessitates using a quad-core Exynos 4 Quad processor.

Fixed that for you Samesung.  Thank me later.

Nothing to read here.  Move along.

post #5 of 170

I love how they tried to build hype with cheap shot video. Guess anyone who falls for Samsung cheap marketing deserved it.

post #6 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I really don't think that you can treat phones the way that computers used to be treated with these spec wars. It's a phone... if it works well then that's all the customer will worry about. It's going to be a very small percentage of customers who actually give a shit about how fast it runs.

jmho

Really.  The war of specs ended long ago but is still kept alive by the fandroid community.  Since their horrible Android systems can't compete with Apple's polished and complete product, they feel the need to feed their pathetic egos by hyping something that the rest of the world truly doesn't care about.

But heck, it keeps the giggle-factor and face-palm gags going. 

post #7 of 170

LMAO don't get your panties in a bunch fb's.

From the article "Apple is expected to counter its rivals with its own quad-core A-series processor later this year."

What will you say about quad-core when this happens LOL.

post #8 of 170

Samsung is gonna hope to put one up on Apple and it's dual core A5 chip iPhone 4s.  We will have to see but I will predict that the next generation iPhone will not have a quad core chip but will have a Dual core A5X.  I really don't see the benefit of a Quad core A6 chip in a smart phone as of yet.  Competing on a Core based processor in a phone just doesn't make sense.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #9 of 170

Did they really need to take a stab at the Apple-loving masses by showing a flock/herd of sheep at the end? So frickin' high school.

(I really wish I had the option of throwing a "no" or "roll eyes" emoticon at the end of my sentence. It sure has made this board vanilla and lifeless.)

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #10 of 170

"The South Korean consumer electronics maker has been teasing the upcoming Galaxy device ahead of a(n) ... Unpacked event in London on May 3."

As opposed to Apple events, which are always packed to the rafters.

Edited by A Grain of Salt - 4/25/12 at 11:09pm
post #11 of 170

And it will have a 6 inch screen and 2 minute battery life. 

This is called jumping the tech shark. 

But will it run Crisis Core?

post #12 of 170

Samesung's video is in BAD TASTE...as always!

Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
post #13 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

From the article "Apple is expected to counter its rivals with its own quad-core A-series processor later this year."

Apple will only give out stuffs (products, specs, etc) when they are absolutely ready and the benefits really requires it. By that time, when Apple is finally using quad core processors, Android OS has getting too big and sluggish it necessitate their HW to be using a full scale desktop CPU to runs it.
post #14 of 170

Speaking to spec wars. I've been following the computer industry since 1970, phones for the last 10 years, and Apple since they started and I can tell you the spec war was alive and well then and it will still be in the year 2525. Where did people here ever get the idea that specs don't matter. Loyal Apple fans wait holding their breath to see what new power specs Apple will put into its products next. So go for it Samsung. :rolleyes:

post #15 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Speaking to spec wars. I've been following the computer industry since 1970, phones for the last 10 years, and Apple since they started and I can tell you the spec war was alive and well then and it will still be in the year 2525. Where did people here ever get the idea that specs don't matter. Loyal Apple fans wait holding their breath to see what new power specs Apple will put into its products next. So go for it Samsung. :rolleyes:

Bullshit. The spec war is dead. It's only alive on tech blogs, message boards, and a tiny percentage of people who factor it into buying decisions. If you step back, you'll realiza that the majority of people couldnt give a shit as long as it runs well and functions smoothly. Real world performance manners. And that depends on a variety of variables, specs being just one of them. It's why most android phones, even the highest end ones, can't even scroll smoothly and have inconsistent performance. trust me, I've tried almost all of them. 

It doesn't matter how long you've been following the computer industry. You're completely out of touch if you think marketing specs is really relevant anymore. It means nothing, because historically 'underpowered' Apple products perform better than anything else out there. 

post #16 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Lest you forget, Apple is one of the, if not the, biggest players in the war of specs. Their Ax processors have always been among the top of the line when released, and largest in terms of die size/transistor count. If anything, Apple is a big force in keeping the spec wars alive.

Nonsense.  Apple is not competing against the other players.  They are competing against themselves.  If they can get the more performance from a quad-core chip, all the while keeping they die-size the same (if not smaller), with the same (if not better) battery life - regardless of what competitors like Samsung are using - they will do it and not even bother marketing the specs to the public at large.  It's what they do.  They let the all-around performance speak for itself.  The only ones making a deal of specs - besides fandroids - are the manufacturers because they know they can't compete with Apple on anything else, including the usability of their handset.  It's what they do and it's a pathetic and sad attempt to mislead the public.

I lost track how many times Apple got skewered for not using a quad-core CPU in the 4s or their new iPad3, even though the performance of each was as fast or faster than whatever quad-core, or higher Ghz nonsense the other players were using.  Funny how most fandroids conveniently scurry to the back of the discussion forums and keep quiet when they are consistently proven wrong, only for them to come out of their holes again and spew more fabrications when the smoke clears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

The most profitable consumer segment made the specs irrelevant.  Apple's commercials don't talk about specs.  Apple talks about using it in the real world.  Everyone I know using an iPhone couldn't care less about what specs are.  They all know that they love their handset for ease-of-use, speed, and polish.  They don't care that "speed" is provided by a single, dual, or quad, or oct-core CPU.  If its fast, they're happy.

I've followed the computer industry since the late 70's, became a software developer in the 80's and continue to this day.  Polished, efficient code that Apple has will always trump the bloated, botched code that Android is made of.  It's why they need higher specs than the current iPhone to barely make it comparable in speed to a clocked-down iPhone.  That's the reality.

What's important is efficient code.  When Apple does make a quad-core iPhone, Samesung will then advertise a higher-clocked CPU or hexacore phone that will still run slower than what Apple has.  So technically, it's everyone else that's keeping the spec wars going and Apple is simply cruising along the highway while watching everyone else causing pile-ups due to ignorance.

post #17 of 170

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57385358-94/huawei-our-ascend-d-quad-is-worlds-fastest-smartphone/

Huawei: Our Ascend D Quad is world's fastest smartphone

Mobile World Congress kicks off with a bang as Huawei unveiled its first quad-core ICS handset, called the Ascend D Quad.

post #18 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Twice the "performance" while using 20% less power is great but unfortunately they are probably going to advertise the hell out of it being quad-core.

You mean the same way Apple advertised the A5X as being a Quad Core GPU?

post #19 of 170

This is great and all, but five bucks says AT&T gimps it, and sticks it with the dual core snapdragon Qualcomm proc like they did the HTC One X.

post #20 of 170

They lifted the music from Mass Effect 2 - Sammy can't do anything original

post #21 of 170

CPU cores are only part of the equation. Because Apple designs their own SoC and develops the OS, they can optimize the hell out of both of them. This includes offloading tasks to GPUs and any other specialized processors they may need. For instance, the inclusion of an ISP in the A5 for realtime video processing. This is the direction I believe Apple will move their SoCs, rather than stuffing more CPU cores into a device that really doesn't need it. Of course most people will start complaining how Apple is falling behind in specs, but in real world performance it won't be an issue. Comparing specs of different mobile platforms is just a waste of time as software across different platforms may need different resources.

And as for Apple also touting specs when they release new products, they also explain the benefits and why it is important. They don't throw up a list of specs for the sake of filling up a checklist.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #22 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

They lifted the music from Mass Effect 2 - Sammy can't do anything original

Check out this list of music Apple "lifted" for their commercials LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_used_by_Apple_Inc.

post #23 of 170
Is the average consumer who buys a phone even going to know what the heck quad core means?
post #24 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I love how they tried to build hype with cheap shot video. Guess anyone who falls for Samsung cheap marketing deserved it.

Samsung sheeple?
post #25 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is the average consumer who buys a phone even going to know what the heck quad core means?

Apple fanboys probably think consumers do not care about the number of cores, since Apple lags behind in the numbers of cores.

But if Apple releases a quad core phone first, all Apple fanboys will be cheering.

post #26 of 170
Apple needs to buy a network. In 4 or 5 generations they'll have the perfect hardware/software combo for iphone and ipad. So many of their products rely on a reliable connection that they shouldn't allow themselves to be at the mercy of the service providers.
post #27 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple fanboys probably think consumers do not care about the number of cores, since Apple lags behind in the numbers of cores.

But if Apple releases a quad core phone first, all Apple fanboys will be cheering.

Fanboys say a lot of stuff... no doubt about that.  But let's forget about them for a minute and focus on what's really selling.

Did the iPhone become the #1 selling phone on many carriers because of the number of cores it has? NO.

The iPhone 4 is single core... the iPhone 4S is dual-core... and the next iPhone will probably be quad-core.

But that's not WHY people buy them...

post #28 of 170

My wife's iPhone 4 makes and receives calls great.  My iPhone 4S makes and receives calls great.  Reception is better than old sanyo flip phone in same areas.

This is what a phone is simply about.  And it does other cool stuff too.

No one is doing movie editing in HD or burning DVDs or processing Photoshop graphics on the phone are they?  What the hell do all the specs in the phone matter.  Only to idiots does this matter.  IT'S A PHONE!!!

Apple's commercials exemplify this fact.  They are real world usage commercials.  They don't talk screen size, chip size, chip speeds, or graphic chips.  All other manufacturers do advertise this in commercials.

iPad 3 only promotes the incredible new display which makes all your viewing much nicer.  Not that the pixel density is this and that and better than the other tablets.  They focus on what they offer and how it works for the consumer.

Only an idiot says Apple pushes specs.

Now to fight the idiots who keep downgrading my damn stocks.

post #29 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Apple needs to buy a network. In 4 or 5 generations they'll have the perfect hardware/software combo for iphone and ipad. So many of their products rely on a reliable connection that they shouldn't allow themselves to be at the mercy of the service providers.

Agreed.  They need to spend that cash horde on a new network that would BLOW AWAY AT&T, VERIZON, and Sprint.  I WOULD SWITCH!

post #30 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Twice the "performance" while using 20% less power is great but unfortunately they are probably going to advertise the hell out of it being quad-core. I wonder what people will think when dual-core Cortex-A15 has even higher performance and uses even less power?

I seem to recall "QUAD CORE" being rather prominent in the launch of the new iPad.

Cake and eat it.

post #31 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Agreed.  They need to spend that cash horde on a new network that would BLOW AWAY AT&T, VERIZON, and Sprint.  I WOULD SWITCH!

T-Mobile US was apparently worth $39 billion... and that's the smallest nationwide network in the United States. Good buy?  Yes or No?

Even if they bought it... how much would they spend in upgrades? 

And let's not forget China, India, all of Europe, and the rest of the 70 countries across the globe.

Apple's $110 billion dollars wouldn't even make a dent...

post #32 of 170
There is a lot of room for improvement in satellite Internet and voice. If they could get the lag time down around a second, they could deploy a global network with no dead zones and bypass all the tower networks.
post #33 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Samesung's video is in BAD TASTE...as always!

I can't decide which promo is worse. Microsoft's"funeral" for the iPhone or this one.

..and the basic message seem to always say "we have no imagination". Or, "we are willing to go into bankruptcy spending millions, even billions, in litigation but not a single cent into finding out who we really are and the amazing things we can do".

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #34 of 170

What do you think about this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTOHmxb7PY

post #35 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

One thing that might be said is that programming for Android to take advantage of four cores is exceedingly difficult. Apple has simplified this with GCD, so it's more likely you'll see iOS Apps that can actually use four cores when needed.

post #36 of 170

guess the battery will now only last 30 mins. These guys make horrible phones, my girlfriend had to send one back after a couple of days when she realised she would need to charge it during the day even before using 3G or wifi. lame...

post #37 of 170

Verizon's market cap is $110B. Apple could buy them in cash!  ;)

post #38 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

guess the battery will now only last 30 mins. These guys make horrible phones, my girlfriend had to send one back after a couple of days when she realised she would need to charge it during the day even before using 3G or wifi. lame...

You have it confused with the iPhone 4S.

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/iphone-4s-users-charged-over-battery-life-119460

post #39 of 170

Why, oh why, oh why? It's just a bleedin' phone, not a 'ucking Spaceship

post #40 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

You mean the same way Apple advertised the A5X as being a Quad Core GPU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I seem to recall "QUAD CORE" being rather prominent in the launch of the new iPad.

Cake and eat it.

Don't be obtuse. A GPU is not a CPU and there is no reason to expect the GPU in the next iPad to drop to 2 cores. Nor does it make it sense for the iPhone to double its GPU cores until it can maintain this change and at a lower power envelope than it current offers.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone