or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone

Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone - Page 3

post #81 of 170

Not that it matters much, but it looks like the US bound Galaxy S 3's will use dual core snapdragon's, not the quad core chips.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/samsung-executive-says-to-expect-snapdragon-processors-in-us-bound-galaxy-s-iii/

Seems the rest of the world will apparently get the quads at this point, but not the U.S..  Reminds me of how a Nexus model (I believe) was significantly different between the AT&T model and the Verizon model if my memory serves.

While it would seem a serious stretch that you'd need a quad core processor in a phone or tablet, its the way the chip industry is increasing performance and will continue to do so in the future - so it will be up to the OS makers to take advantage and harness those cores.  I'm sure Apple's hardware will get quad cores as well at some point.  On its face I think I'd rather just have dual cores and a die shrink to significantly reduce power usage, but that's not where things are headed (nor have they been)....so be it.

post #82 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The Samsung Galaxy SII with a 45nm Exynos SoC uses a quad-core Mali-400, and it is one of the better performing mobile phone GPUs out there.

There's no reason to believe that this new 32nm Exynos will have gone backwards, so it's either a faster quad-core Mail-400, an octo-core Mali-400, or a more modern Mali - T604 probably.

Did you actually say the Mali-400 was one of the better performing SoC's? Thanks for the laugh. My original comment stands. Mali-400 sucks. It's not even as fast as an underclocked 800MHz A5 in the 4S, a chip that's more than a year old already. Which carefully selected benchmark did you use to conclude that Mali-400 is "one of the better performing" SoC's?

They better use the T604, but it's not likely. All previous evidence points to the T604 only ending up in future A15 SoC's, though Samsug might surprise us. Even so, the T604 is only about equal to the A5X, so Samsung isn't really bringing anything groundbreaking here even if they do use the T604 (unlikely anyway).

It's Samsung who is stating their new Exynos is great for high performance 3D graphics. They're the ones advertising the graphics performance, so to see them ship a crappy Mali-400 would be a joke.

Even funnier that it was ZZZ who gave you a "like".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #83 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Not that it matters much, but it looks like the US bound Galaxy S 3's will use dual core snapdragon's, not the quad core chips.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/samsung-executive-says-to-expect-snapdragon-processors-in-us-bound-galaxy-s-iii/

Seems the rest of the world will apparently get the quads at this point, but not the U.S..  Reminds me of how a Nexus model (I believe) was significantly different between the AT&T model and the Verizon model if my memory serves.

ROTFLMAO. If that were Apple, the attorneys would already be lining up for the class action suit.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #84 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post
since tallest_skil put emoticons in a post... i assume that knowing the html code for the emoticon of choice "is just the ticket"

Oh, the laugh works for me. I don't know what you guys can see, but the laugh is the only one not broken over here.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.17.03 AM.png

And why's the window so big? I'd be fine with it if the whole thing was filled with a wider range of emoticons, but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose when we only have eighteen of them.

Perhaps AppleInsider forums are "my first HTML project" for someone 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #85 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

LMAO don't get your panties in a bunch fb's.

From the article "Apple is expected to counter its rivals with its own quad-core A-series processor later this year."

What will you say about quad-core when this happens LOL.

Apple will do whatever they need to do to make the device run smoothly, that's all they care about. If Apple moves to quad-core then they will do so because they feel the device will be able to take advantage of the extra processing capabilities. As an example, the quad-core GPU in the A5X was an absolute necessity to drive the higher resolution display in the new iPad. Having a display with that resolution running animations as smoothly as a display with 1/4 the number of pixels, translates to an actual real world experience, they are not simply specs.

This is how Apple will deal with a move to more CPU cores in future SoC designs. Apple views mobile devices as a single focus oriented devices with an occasional need to pop into a second app for whatever reason. Mobile phones/devices with smaller screens are not going to be used by people for doing anything hard core. The need for Apple to throw more CPU cores into the mix is pointless. The current devices run iOS flawlessly, apps load extremely fast, and the interface is remarkably responsive and smooth. This is happening with 2 CPU cores running at 800MHz on the iPhone 4S and 1GHz on the new iPad. Hell, even the iPhone 3GS runs iOS 5 fairly well and it's got a 600MHz, single core ARM A8.

What Apple is "expected" to do and what they actually do are usually two different things. This is because that's how analysts minds work. They assume the only way to beat them is to continue to play the same game even when it's not necessary to do so. I don't believe Apple will release a quad core iPhone. It will be a dual core ARM A15 running at about 1.2GHz.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #86 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Funny thing is that adding more cores has almost no advantage unless the application software is optimized to use it efficiently. In fact unless the programs and compilers are reworked and reconfigured from the ground up to take advantage of the additional cores all you have is more battery drain for no performance gain.

How much does the OS do to distribute the load?

And why did they say this?

Clocked at 1.4GHz, the processor will be about "twice as powerful while using 20 percent less power," MacNN noted the company as saying.

post #87 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Disappointing A9 quad core cant be use by the OS or apps and Mali 400 GPU is old and underpowered. I agree that A15 dual core is the future and the A5X GPU for mobile. Rogue 6 looks like it might be to power hungry for mobile phones but might work on tablets. The same problem for the A5X chip on a phone, IMHO iphone 5 will have a A5X chip Dual core on both CPU and GPU. And will beat this chip handily...

I hope it's ready in time for the 6th gen iPhone but it's not looking so good right now as I'd expect to have seen several smaller vendors announcing releases for the 2nd half of the year.

Yes A15 won't be ready for iPhone 5, and IMHO a quad core GPU on the iPhone screen does not make sence battery wise. So I expect a A5X dual core CPU/GPU on the new iPhone which is enough to compete/beat the competition. A9 quad core is just a waist of 2 cores that won't be used and a battery drain on android phones...
post #88 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Quote:

Disappointing A9 quad core cant be use by the OS or apps and Mali 400 GPU is old and underpowered. I agree that A15 dual core is the future and the A5X GPU for mobile. Rogue 6 looks like it might be to power hungry for mobile phones but might work on tablets. The same problem for the A5X chip on a phone, IMHO iphone 5 will have a A5X chip Dual core on both CPU and GPU. And will beat this chip handily...

A dual core A5X is just an A5.  The only difference in the X, are those two extra GPU cores.

I don't know why people are so against more powerful GPUs. The Vita has the same GPU as the iPad 3 and seems to be producing some nice visuals with it. 

Bring on the power I say, and start porting X360 games to the iPhone with no loss in quality.

CPU is the same but the GPU is a new chip so if the new iPhone uses a dual core A5X it will have the new GPU just dual core and that is a big difference. IMHO for a 4" screen it's more than enough not to mention the 1g of ram than the new iPad has will also help a lot on the new iPhone...
post #89 of 170

Look at this.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 12.37.42 PM.png

It's a PAID flash mob… holding up signs that say "Wake Up"… to people in an Apple Store… of their own volition.

And… and Samsung… they put a herd of sheep in their commercial.

It needs to be illegal to insult customers. Doesn't matter who they are, all customers should be protected from insult. Insult companies all you want, but not customers.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #90 of 170
Quote:

Look at this.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 12.37.42 PM.png

It's a PAID flash mob… holding up signs that say "Wake Up"… to people in an Apple Store… of their own volition.

It needs to be illegal to insult customers. Doesn't matter who they are, all customers should be protected from insult. Insult companies all you want, but not customers.

Gee can the Fandroids still claim Samsung isn't obsessed with Apple?
post #91 of 170

Quote:

Look at this.

Flash mob heads over to a Samsung vendor:

"You should have bought an iPhone today

So that you don't

WAKE UP

To a shitty phone tomorrow."

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #92 of 170

If it really is Samsung behind this stunt you would expect Apple to make a statement about it.

post #93 of 170

Quote:

Oh, the laugh works for me. I don't know what you guys can see, but the laugh is the only one not broken over here.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.17.03 AM.png

And why's the window so big? I'd be fine with it if the whole thing was filled with a wider range of emoticons, but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose when we only have eighteen of them.

Here are some that work but you have to edit the source directly. Put in the lol.gif then change the src to one of these.

lol.gif

devil.gif

biggrin.gif
cool.gif
crying.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif
happy.gif
blush.gif
frown.gif

Sorry I could not find "Smokey"

EDIT: Found it. smoking.gif

smoking.gif

Edited by mstone - 4/26/12 at 10:29am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #94 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

A dual core A5X is just an A5.  The only difference in the X, are those two extra GPU cores.

This is an exemplar of how people here are blowing hot air on a topic they know little about. The difference between A5 and A5X is not just "those two extra GPU cores".  In fact, not all A5s are equal.

post #95 of 170
Quote:
If it really is Samsung behind this stunt you would expect Apple to make a statement about it.

Why? Apple hasn't responded to any of their other campaigns.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a short statement asking what kind of company that exists to sell products would think that insulting its customers was a good idea.

post #96 of 170

Quote:

IMHO for a 4" screen it's more than enough not to mention the 1g of ram than the new iPad has will also help a lot on the new iPhone...

I'd like to hear the rationale behind that opinion.

post #97 of 170

What other campaigns.

post #98 of 170

Quote:

A9 quad core is just a waist of 2 cores that won't be used and a battery drain on android phones...

You are 100% sure of this?

post #99 of 170
Quote:
What other campaigns.

"You got Samsung'd", the one before that, the one before that, the one before that… You can't seriously think this is their first ad campaign. 

Apple doesn't acknowledge "competitors". What reason do they have to put out a statement about them?

post #100 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The Samsung Galaxy SII with a 45nm Exynos SoC uses a quad-core Mali-400, and it is one of the better performing mobile phone GPUs out there.

There's no reason to believe that this new 32nm Exynos will have gone backwards, so it's either a faster quad-core Mail-400, an octo-core Mali-400, or a more modern Mali - T604 probably.

Did you actually say the Mali-400 was one of the better performing SoC's? Thanks for the laugh. My original comment stands. Mali-400 sucks. It's not even as fast as an underclocked 800MHz A5 in the 4S, a chip that's more than a year old already. Which carefully selected benchmark did you use to conclude that Mali-400 is "one of the better performing" SoC's?

They better use the T604, but it's not likely. All previous evidence points to the T604 only ending up in future A15 SoC's, though Samsug might surprise us. Even so, the T604 is only about equal to the A5X, so Samsung isn't really bringing anything groundbreaking here even if they do use the T604 (unlikely anyway).

It's Samsung who is stating their new Exynos is great for high performance 3D graphics. They're the ones advertising the graphics performance, so to see them ship a crappy Mali-400 would be a joke.

Even funnier that it was ZZZ who gave you a "like".

1. Mali-400 is not a SoC. It's a GPU.
2. A5 is a SoC, not a GPU. Don't compare it to Mali-400.
3. A5's CPU is clocked at 800MHz. The CPU has almost nothing to do with graphics performance.
4. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-GT-I9300-Galaxy-S-III-graphics-benchmark-appears-poised-to-rule-them-all_id29364#1-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-with-ARM-Mali-400
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #101 of 170

Quote:

"You got Samsung'd", the one before that, the one before that, the one before that… You can't seriously think this is their first ad campaign. 

Apple doesn't acknowledge "competitors". What reason do they have to put out a statement about them?

A TV ad and actually going to an Apple store and doing something that is borderline harassment are completely different.

post #102 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

From what I have seen, most reviewers acknowledge that where some of the android and other non apple phone beat the iphone on specs, the IOS optimizations surpass the hardware specs generally in performance.

Any reviewer making such comments are blowing smoke. No one can make such a sweeping statement one way or the other.

post #103 of 170
Quote:
A TV ad and actually going to an Apple store and doing something that is borderline harassment are completely different.

It's the same as those environmentalist morons and the people who petition how "locked-down" the iPhone is. Samsung has just as much right to do crap as they do, and Samsung's black sheep aren't even going in the building, so even less can be done about them.

post #104 of 170

If I were Apple, and if the group was really hired by Samsung I would definitely make a statement. After all they insulted the customers like you said, if I were Apple I would have to say something about that.

post #105 of 170
Quote:
If I were Apple, and if the group was really hired by Samsung I would definitely make a statement. After all they insulted the customers like you said, if I were Apple I would have to say something about that.

Thing is, Samsung has been doing that since the 'waiting in line' ads. Unless it's specifically offensive to a subset of Apple users that are part of a larger oft-stereotyped group (I mean, for example, minority Apple users or based on their religion. In other words, Apple users that also fall under another group against whom prejudice has previously been shown in other settings), I don't think Apple will (or should, I guess) make a statement on it.

Ignoring them is the best policy. Otherwise you get, "LOL IT WORKED THEY'RE AFRAID OF US LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL".

post #106 of 170

Oh, I don't know. This just proves Shamesung's real enemy is itself.

Quote:

Look at this.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #107 of 170
Apple sold 35 millioniphones with a lot of Samsung hardware in it. Flash mob for what? And why?

Samsung will never make more money selling their phones/tablets as they do with component to apple. Such hypocracy...
post #108 of 170

Quote:

Sometimes the biggest insult one can achieve is to ignore the offending party.  It says "you don't matter enough for me to give any response."  You don't flail your arms around because some gnats are flying around, they just aren't worth the effort.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #109 of 170

That (dumb) ad (for a forgettable product) will need to be changed to "Your wife will love the quad-core processor."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #110 of 170

As a Korean-American, I’m ashamed of Samsung and the tacky, classless way they do business. I’ve never owned a Samsung-branded product in my life and most likely never will. The only thing that’ll make me change my mind is if the Samsung Group conglomerate gets split up into dozens of independent companies without the Samsung brand.

Every time I go to Seoul I get sick of the Samsung brand blaring at my face wherever I turn: Samsung microwave ovens, Samsung department stores, Samsung apartment complexes, Samsung buses, Samsung life insurance, Samsung securities, Samsung shipbuilding, Samsung blah-blah-blah… Sickening…

And now, the family members that own the Samsung Group are embroiled in an ugly and vicious public spat over inheritance matters and suing each other in court – calling each other greedy thieves and such. It is such a disgraceful and shameful thing to observe. You’ve got multi-billionaire family members fighting over even more money.

Well, I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise when the Chairman and CEO of Samsung, Lee Kun-Hee who is the richest person in Korea with net worth over $10 billion, was indicted for tax evasion and a conspiracy to cover it up. The guy got nailed and would have gone to jail but the President pardoned him because Samsung is considered too big of a part of the Korean economy. Ridiculous.

So that’s the kind of leadership that SameDUNG has – a bunch of greedy egomaniacs calling family members nasty names in public because they all want another $1 billion or something like that. It’s no wonder that crap flows on down and Samsung behaves as it does. The fish stinks from the head on down.

post #111 of 170

Who really cares? More than half of these "demonstrators" probably have iPhones in their pockets. They're all more than likely checking out that same Apple Store after fulfilling their "demonstration" obligation.

This is probably the best promotion for Apple, and they didn't even have to pay a cent for it. Shamesung is apparently more than enthused to dig its own hole ever deeper. You can't possibly ask for a more stupid competition with such shortsighted vision.

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Flash mob heads over to a Samsung vendor:

"You should have bought an iPhone today

So that you don't

WAKE UP

To a shitty phone tomorrow."

post #112 of 170

'couldn't agree more.

Quote:

Ignoring them is the best policy. Otherwise you get, "LOL IT WORKED THEY'RE AFRAID OF US LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL".

post #113 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Sometimes the biggest insult one can achieve is to ignore the offending party.  It says "you don't matter enough for me to give any response."  You don't flail your arms around because some gnats are flying around, they just aren't worth the effort.

Seems like folks here are wishing it was Samsung but are secretly afraid that it might not be. Why else would you not advocate Apple releasing a condemning statement about something that is clearly out of the norm.

post #114 of 170
Quote:
Seems like folks here are wishing it was Samsung but are secretly afraid that it might not be. Why else would you not advocate Apple releasing a condemning statement about something that is clearly out of the norm.

Because it's not out of the norm. Apple's attacked all the time.

I hope that it IS Samsung, but I'm secretly afraid that it isn't them. If that IS the case, I wish CultofMac and 9to5 wouldn't have reported on it unless they were sure.

What we all should see is the sheep commercial, as it's a given that that is Samsung.

post #115 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Who really cares? More than half of these "demonstrators" probably have iPhones in their pockets. They're all more than likely checking out that same Apple Store after fulfilling their "demonstration" obligation.

This is probably the best promotion for Apple, and they didn't even have to pay a cent for it. Shamesung is apparently more than enthused to dig its own hole ever deeper. You can't possibly ask for a more stupid competition with such shortsighted vision.

Actually, these are probably the same people who were demonstrating and petitioning Apple about labour practices. Since that left them with nothing to do... well, flash mob!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #116 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

1. Mali-400 is not a SoC. It's a GPU.
2. A5 is a SoC, not a GPU. Don't compare it to Mali-400.
3. A5's CPU is clocked at 800MHz. The CPU has almost nothing to do with graphics performance.
4. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-GT-I9300-Galaxy-S-III-graphics-benchmark-appears-poised-to-rule-them-all_id29364#1-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-with-ARM-Mali-400

Splitting hairs over terms are we? The Mali-400 is slower than the GPU used in the A5 and A5X (PowerVR 543MP2 and MP4). Running a newer version clocked faster it barely beats the 4S and still lags the iPad. And this for a brand-new flagship processor combination? Just catching up to a year old A5?

As I sad before, Mali-400 is a joke. It's old and it's slow.

post #117 of 170

You know, I am actually really excited about this phone. At the end of the day, phones like Samsung's Galaxy series, on Android, like them or loathe them, keep Apple on their toes and drives their innovation faster and harder. And the ultimate beneficiaries are us, the consumer.

Yes, I totally agree that in 2007, the iPhone was the game-changer. A paradigm shift in mobile technology. Undoubtedly. But do you really think we would be at the level of iPhone 4S today, if it wasn't was "copiers" like Samsung/Google etc. causing Apple to make their "best products", greater still?

Bring on the war, that's what I say!

post #118 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1257236 View Post
But do you really think we would be at the level of iPhone 4S today, if it wasn't was "copiers" like Samsung/Google etc. causing Apple to make their "best products", greater still?

Yes.

Actually, it's impossible to say. We can assume, but we can't possibly know unless one of us is actually in Apple and can confirm.

post #119 of 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Splitting hairs over terms are we? The Mali-400 is slower than the GPU used in the A5 and A5X (PowerVR 543MP2 and MP4). Running a newer version clocked faster it barely beats the 4S and still lags the iPad. And this for a brand-new flagship processor combination? Just catching up to a year old A5?

As I sad before, Mali-400 is a joke. It's old and it's slow.

It's faster than any other phone on the market AND it has 20% lower power consumption than the previous model. You may call the Mali-400 crap, but it doesn't have problems with any mobile games and it plays 1080p mkv movies effortlessly (still talking about the non-overclocked version), which is something that even my iPad struggles with (although this is probably caused by software). The A5X is a beast, but it consumes more power than an entire iPhone 4S. It's impossible to have such power in a phone at the moment.

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #120 of 170

Quote:

Because it's not out of the norm. Apple's attacked all the time.

I hope that it IS Samsung, but I'm secretly afraid that it isn't them. If that IS the case, I wish CultofMac and 9to5 wouldn't have reported on it unless they were sure.

What we all should see is the sheep commercial, as it's a given that that is Samsung.

CultofMac and 9to5? Are those the best sources that have the news so far? Even in their articles it says "it is thought that ..." Samsung is involved. In other words, they are not sure, and neither are you. If it is indeed Samsung, they are sitting ducks. A few choice words from Apple, the media picks it up and it's all over the news and internet and Samsung gets smeared. Apple couldn't ask for a better opportunity. And you would still advocate Apple not saying anything?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung confirms quad-core processor for next flagship Galaxy smartphone