or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly behind mock protest flashmob at Apple Store

Samsung reportedly behind mock protest flashmob at Apple Store

post #1 of 188
An Australian Apple Store was bombarded by a mob of people chanting "wake up" and holding signs emblazoned with the same slogan on Thursday, with one source claiming that the stunt was orchestrated by an ad agency working for Samsung.

The Sydney Apple Store saw a small mob of mock protestors spill out of a large black bus with the words "Wake Up." written in bold relief on its side in what was apparently an advertising stunt put together by an agency purportedly working for Samsung, according to blog Mumbrella.

Tongue, a local Australian ad company, is thought to be the instigator of the campaign which is centered around the upcoming release of Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S3 smartphone. An iPhone competitor, the S3 is said to sport a quad-core Exynos processor and was confirmed on Thursday as being ready for launch some time next week.

The information jibes with the website wake-up-australia.com.au, which displays the same "Wake Up." slogan with a countdown timer that is set to reach zero when the new handset is launched in that country. The domain name was registered to New Dialogue, which later rebranded itself as Sydney-based ad agency Tongue.

In addition to the staged protest, the campaign has written the words "Wake Up." on the bottom of the Bondi Ice Bergs pool as well as a number of billboards.

Documenting the incident on video was blogger Nate ?Blunty? Burr, who said he happened on the commotion by accident.

Video of flashmob as captured by blogger Nate Burr.

Apple is no stranger to protests, with the most recent case involving a Greenpeace demonstration at the company's European headquarters in Ireland over the coal-burning generators used to power iCloud's massive North Carolina datacenter.
post #2 of 188

Samsung has become a really pathetic company.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #3 of 188
So Samsung rents a bus, makes a bunch of signs, hires a bunch of day labourers, and then goes to advertise in front of an Apple Store... YET THE ONLY THING IN THE VIDEO WITH A TRADEMARK/LOGO SHOWING IS THE APPLE STORE? Brilliant¡

'm starting to think Teckstud now works for Samsung marketing.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/26/12 at 4:07pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post
Samsung has become a reportedly pathetic company.

Fixed. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
So Samsung hires a bunch of day labourers, rents a bus, makes a bunch of signs, and then goes to advertise in front of an Apple Store... THE ONLY THING IN THE VIDEO WITH A TRADEMARK/LOGO SHOWING. Brilliant¡ I'm starting to think Teckstud now works for Samsung marketing.

I realize I'm the one that brought this to our attention here, but yeah, that's fishy. This might not be Samsung.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 188

Wake up... What was the point of that? Really... I don't get it.

post #6 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by archieny View Post

point was to make you feel confused and check on the internet and find out it is samsung and realize that gsiii is coming.

post #7 of 188

No worries, the Apple polishers are not ready to wake from their distortion field slumber.  Though we do Apple no service with slavish and unquestioning praise of their superiority.  Competition is good, and Apple needs it.

post #8 of 188

Quote:

If you honestly don't get it, you need to get out more...

post #9 of 188

I love the smell of desperation.

How long before Apple gobbles up 90% of the profits in the smartphone space, anyhow?

Samsung = the next Nokia.

post #10 of 188

jealous much samsung?

post #11 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Samsung = the next Nokia.

I don't think that you can call someone 'the next X' until the X has actually gone kaput.

Having said that, It'll be RIM first, then Nokia, then Samsung. Poor guys.

post #12 of 188

the most epic fail of a protest (or mock protest) is when no one knows what the heck your even protesting... or what your actual message is.

whoever they are... they failed... unless its some new "Wake Up" energy drink or something?

post #13 of 188
post #14 of 188

Stay classy Apple. I hope you never resort to this kind of stunt.

post #15 of 188

So the idea is to get more customers by insulting them?

post #16 of 188

BOTH of his quotes work in this scenario!

"I can run wild for six months … after that, I have no expectation of success."

What happens in six months? Well, let's see… SIXTH IPHONE RELEASE.

post #17 of 188

Whoa ... the synchronized thrusting and shouting just reminded me of the proletariat in the 1984 ad. Exactly the opposite of the intended message.

Anyway, it's so annoying to see ad agencies co-opting social phenomena. It's like, "Facebook is cool, how can we use that for marketing?" "Viral video is cool, how can we use that for marketing?" "Flash mobs are cool, how can we use that for marketing?" And then it's not cool when they do those things.

post #18 of 188
[quote name="SolipsismX" I'm starting to think Teckstud now works for Samsung marketing.[/quote]

Ha! 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 188

Wow. People still do flash mobs?

post #20 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Classy like like drawing other mobile vendors into the iPhone 4's antenna issues...yeah, real classy.

post #21 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Classy like like drawing other mobile vendors into the iPhone 4's antenna issues...yeah, real classy.

Because there was no "issue" other than the ones inherent to all phones made by anyone. Don't start that crap again.

post #22 of 188

wake-up-australia.com.au

There is a countdown on this website.

Wouldn't it be funny if there was a DoS around the time this timer clicks to zero....just potulating.

post #23 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by global.philosopher View Post

wake-up-australia.com.au

Wouldn't it be funny if there was a DoS around the time this timer clicks to zero....just potulating.

That site crashes my browser every time I go to it. It's already protected from DDoS, it seems. Or perhaps it's trying something sinister about which I know nothing. Who knows.

post #24 of 188
I never thought I'd ever see anything more pathetic than Ryan Leaf's football career...
post #25 of 188

I wonder if Apple can sue.

Not because of the flashmob advertising but because it looks almost like ti is an Apple stunt because the only company identifier is Apple.

The perception by some is that Apple is doing the marketing of its own store. It can be seen as an attempt to misrepresent the brand.

post #26 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because there was no "issue" other than the ones inherent to all phones made by anyone. Don't start that crap again.

The point is that instead of just defending themselves on their own merit they saw fit to drag other vendors in.

post #27 of 188
Quote:
The point is that instead of just defending themselves on their own merit they saw fit to drag other vendors in.

I'm certain that Steve felt more hurt about those accusations than anything in a long time at Apple. You can feel it in that keynote.

post #28 of 188

Samsung is just trying to get the jump on Apple's upcoming iAlarm release...

post #29 of 188

Some people still do flashmobs, however most modern consumers have of course switched over to HTML5mobs, as they crashed less busses that way, and were more power efficient...lol.gif

post #30 of 188
Quote:

Jobs would never have done something like this. I think it's safe to say the same for Tim Cook.
post #31 of 188
Quote:

Quote:

How is that considered a stunt?
post #32 of 188

If Samsung is behind this it will make mainstream news and it won't be good for them.

post #33 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by global.philosopher View Post

wake-up-australia.com.au

That site crashes my browser every time I go to it. It's already protected from DDoS, it seems. Or perhaps it's trying something sinister about which I know nothing. Who knows.

It uses Flash,

post #34 of 188

There's was nothing to defend. Apple said that all phones suffer from varying degrees of attenuation. And they were right.

post #35 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

If Samsung is behind this it will make mainstream news and it won't be good for them.

I don't think most people will care(and they shouldn't).

post #36 of 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How is that considered a stunt?

Never said it was, my point was about being classy.

post #37 of 188

The countdown is for 96 days from now. What thinks ye that be for?

Tbh, this smells a lot more like a Microsoft campaign than Samsung.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #38 of 188
I love how some do the Fandroids are claiming this has nothing to do with Samsung. Yeah sure of course not. And the sheep in their teaser ads have nothing to do with iPhone users either. LOL
post #39 of 188

In the good old days, legions of Apple fans could be easily martialed out by the likes of Guy Kawasaki and his Evangel-list. Once he alerted the faithful that Apple was being dissed or attacked, the hapless perp would be inundated with email attacks, letters to the editor, you-name-it. Usually they cried uncle. Are those days gone for good? Is our collective frustration dissipated in forums such as these rather than in the email boxes of the ad agency or its client, Samsung? 

A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #40 of 188

Quote:

Wake up and go to the Apple store.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly behind mock protest flashmob at Apple Store