or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Estimate claims Apple bested Samsung by 3M to remain top smartphone vendor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Estimate claims Apple bested Samsung by 3M to remain top smartphone vendor - Page 2

post #41 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhkim View Post

 

Let me get this straight, you make blanket statements about Koreans being notorious for doctoring results by citing two examples? How old are you? 

 

By your reasoning if I were to give 5 examples of ANY country where their individuals/companies/institutions cheated I can make blanket statements about their country. 

 

 

You forgot to state that the forum's topic is all about a SOUTH KOREAN COMPANY CALLED SAMESUNG--claiming it sold more phones than Apple--so that is the reason for citing how Koreans (be it corporations, students, government) are known to doctor their results for their own personal gains!

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #42 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

 

 

 

You forgot to state that the forum's topic is all about a SOUTH KOREAN COMPANY CALLED SAMESUNG--claiming it sold more phones than Apple--so that is the reason for citing how Koreans (be it corporations, students, government) are known to doctor their results for their own personal gains!

 

You need to read much more carefully than you do. Samsung didn't claim to sell more smartphones than Apple.

 

FWIW, I agree with a previous poster that it's immature and illogical to extend something a single person or two did into a blanket statement insulting all of that countries' people.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #43 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I was repeating the numbers someone else posted.

I assumed it wasn't based on facts. Thanks Jragosta. :)

 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #44 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

 

You need to read much more carefully than you do. Samsung didn't claim to sell more smartphones than Apple.

 

FWIW, I agree with a previous poster that it's immature and illogical to extend something a single person or two did into a blanket statement insulting all of that countries' people.

 

 

Actually the analysis was BASED on Samsungs report:  After Samsung confirmed record earnings for the March quarter on Friday, a set of new analyses estimate that the company overtook Apple to become the world's largest smartphone vendor while simultaneously passing long-time leader Nokia for the top spot among global mobile phone vendors.

 

As for my evidences--they are FACTUAL...and they are Koreans!

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 


Edited by MJ4Ev3r - 4/27/12 at 11:01am
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #45 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

I assumed it wasn't based on facts. Thanks Jragosta. :)

 

 

It's not surprising that you're confused. Since you've never provided any facts to support any of your positions, you assumed that no one else ever did either.


The post I was quoting cited a source. Read post #6:
"ITG Investment Research reports that Samsung Galaxy Tab return rates were 16%."

 

So what evidence do you have that ITG is wrong?

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #46 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

 

 

 

Actually the analysis was BASED on Samsungs report:  After Samsung confirmed record earnings for the March quarter on Friday, a set of new analyses estimate that the company overtook Apple to become the world's largest smartphone vendor while simultaneously passing long-time leader Nokia for the top spot among global mobile phone vendors.

 

As for my evidences--they are FACTUAL...and they are ALL KOREANS!

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

 

You're still wrong on both counts. Samsung didn't claim to sell more smartphones. They don't even give a number for devices, simply revenue figures that are almost assuredly true.

 

On your Korean insults, I could give evidence that one American is an under-educated bigot.;) That doesn't make it true for every US citizen does it?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #47 of 72

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

That's exactly what I was saying above. Both sources agree on the total number of phones sold by Samsung but they differ by 12 M units on the number of smartphones. The most likely reason is that one of them is counting 'advanced feature phones' as smartphones and the other isn't.

 

 

You are apparently very confused. Maybe no one has explained it to you, but Samsung sells a wide variety of phones, unlike Apple who sells only one major type. That's the issue here.


At AT&T's store, the Samsung Galaxy Note is $749 and is discounted to $299. That's exactly the same as the 32 GB iPhone. List $749, discounted to $299. So Samsung is getting exactly the same discount on their high end phones as Apple is and both are subsidized by $450.00.

The problem is that Samsung also sells the Focus Flash with a $389 list price, discounted to $100.00 after subsidy ($289 subsidy). So while Samsung's AVERAGE subsidy is probably lower, when you look only at comparable phones, it appears to be the same.

And that's the issue cited above. All of Apples phones are high end iPhones. Samsung is reporting numbers which include crapware phones that no one wants. If you look at how many people are buying high end phones (which is the only market Apple competes in), Apple is winning hands down. After all, even with iSuppli's numbers (which probably include mid-range phones, but leave out the really low end garbage), Apple is ahead.

 

 

That's because Android fans don't believe in facts or reality. They'd rather sling FUD and hope it sticks.


In reality, the Galaxy Note is $749-same as the 32 GB iPhone. It's not quite comparable, but the Note has less internal storage but a larger screen, so it's probably the closest comparison).

 

 

I guess I missed the part where anyone claimed that the iPhone was perfect. Maybe try a real argument next time instead of a straw man.

 

 

I was repeating the numbers someone else posted.

 

I think you're the one who's confused. The Galaxy Note is a unique device in a league by itself. It has a freaking 5.3", 1280x800 points screen. It has a Wacom matrix and pen input. It has 4G LTE. It has a 2500 mAh battery. And Samsung choose to sell it for less than $750, as much as a simple iPhone. So, despite that in this case (as with similar high-end Android devices) the carrier offers a comparable subsidy, it's only because the hardware vendor has agreed to lower also the non-contract price, or in other words have lower profit margin.

 

In the other case -- the lower end devices -- carriers subsidize less, bringing the price close to that of the high-end iPhone. So many OS-agnostic buyers choose the iPhone because they get more value for their money solely from the hardware.

 

The results are that in the US, where most people buy their phones from the telcos, more people choose to buy iPhone than Android phones partly because they get a higher subsidy. In some European countries, where the actual costs of devices and services are more obvious, Andoid is more popular than iOS. Alternatively, for some high end devices vendors lower their price for the carrier and then get a similar to Apple subsidy, but much lower profits.

 

Don't get me wrong, I see why Apple would ride their success as long as they can. But at least some of it is dictated by the preferences of the US carriers who influence end-user buying decisions, likely to capitalize on selling more of their services.

post #48 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

It's not surprising that you're confused. Since you've never provided any facts to support any of your positions, you assumed that no one else ever did either.


The post I was quoting cited a source. Read post #6:
"ITG Investment Research reports that Samsung Galaxy Tab return rates were 16%."

 

So what evidence do you have that ITG is wrong?

 

 

What did that have to do with Android phones that you apparently really are claiming have an average double-digit return rate?

 

BTW, your statement that I never provide citations for my claims is both terrible silly as well as dishonest. I'm one of the very few here that nearly alsways has a link to support any factual claims I make. You already knew that of course so I have no idea why you'd make a plainly untrue insult.
 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

 

You're still wrong on both counts. Samsung didn't claim to sell more smartphones. They don't even give a number for devices, simply revenue figures that are almost assuredly true.

 

On your Korean insults, I could give evidence that one American is an under-educated bigot.;) That doesn't make it true for every US citizen does it?

 

Ah...BUT the analysis claiming that Samsung overtook Apple will NOT exist, IF not for Samesung's report!

 

As for my Korean cheating evidences--it IS what it IS!  Facts ARE Facts--even IF you deny it!

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #50 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

 

 

then there's the issue of sold and then returned in 3 days cause it sucked. No one ever adjusts for that. So for all we know Apple sold 3 million to end users who then returned them and got something else, including perhaps a Galaxy .

 

See what I did there?

 

On another note.........does it matter? Its not like Samsung can rape the customer for a ridiculously high margin like Apple does and force the carriers into crazy high subsidies which they can't get out of for at least another 24 months. So in the end Apple will always make the most profit, even if they only sell half of what Samsung does. 

 

 

 

 


Here recent model Samsung phones have a similar down payment as the Apple iPhone.

The difference is the current model iPhone holds it's down payment steady, but Samsung and the others quickly drop to as low as $0 down payment.

The phone companies lose out on Samsung and the others !  And customers only save on the downpayment,  because they pay the same usage cost which covers most of the phone cost.

post #51 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

 

 

Ah...BUT the analysis claiming that Samsung overtook Apple will NOT exist, IF not for Samesung's report!

 

As for my Korean cheating evidences--it IS what it IS!  Facts ARE Facts--even IF you deny it!

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

 


Are those responsible for doing the analysis at iSuppli or Strategy Analytics also Korean? Those were the ones making the claim.

 

FWIW, using the tried and true junior high name-calling (Samesung? Really?) doesn't reflect well on your maturity or reasoning. It's not something the older and more educated members here would use.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #52 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

 

 


Are those responsible for doing the analysis at iSuppli or Strategy Analytics also Korean? Those were the ones making the claim.

 

FWIW, using the tried and true junior high name-calling (Samesung? Really?) doesn't reflect well on your maturity or reasoning. It's not something the older and more educated members here would use.

 

AGAIN, AGAIN:

 

 

 

The Strategic Analytics' analysis claiming that Samsung overtook Apple will NOT exist, IF not for Samesung's report!  

 

AGAIN:  THEIR ANALYSIS WAS BASED PURELY ON SAMESUNG'S REPORT--OR ARE YOU THAT DENSE???

 

YOU TOO ARE INDULGING IN EXTREME IMMATURITY BY IMPLYING THAT I AM YOUNG AND less EDUCATED!  TIT FOR TAT!  

 

Guess WHAT?  WRONG IN BOTH COUNTS!  Your statement is a classic example of gross speculation as opposed to FACTUAL evidence!

 

 

As for my Korean cheating evidences--it IS what it IS!  Facts ARE Facts--even IF you deny it!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos
 

 


Edited by MJ4Ev3r - 4/27/12 at 12:02pm
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
Quote:
My job is NOT to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even BETTER.

--Steve Jobs on being a CEO
Reply
post #53 of 72

Ooookay then. . .
 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #54 of 72

So when Apple reports they sold 35M iPhones in the quarter that number includes phones that haven't yet been sold to a consumer but were purchased by a reseller?  If that's the case how is that different than reporting a shipped number?
 

post #55 of 72

The no contract price for the Note is actually $649 not $749.

 

It sells for $299 with contract so $350 is subsidized.

 

ATT doesn't have the no contract price for iPhone 4S but Verizon does.

 

It is $649 for the 16GB, sells for $199 so $450 is subsidized, more than for the Samsung Note.
 

post #56 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

I think you're the one who's confused. The Galaxy Note is a unique device in a league by itself. It has a freaking 5.3", 1280x800 points screen. It has a Wacom matrix and pen input. It has 4G LTE. It has a 2500 mAh battery. And Samsung choose to sell it for less than $750, as much as a simple iPhone. So, despite that in this case (as with similar high-end Android devices) the carrier offers a comparable subsidy, it's only because the hardware vendor has agreed to lower also the non-contract price, or in other words have lower profit margin.

 

In the other case -- the lower end devices -- carriers subsidize less, bringing the price close to that of the high-end iPhone. So many OS-agnostic buyers choose the iPhone because they get more value for their money solely from the hardware.

 

The results are that in the US, where most people buy their phones from the telcos, more people choose to buy iPhone than Android phones partly because they get a higher subsidy. In some European countries, where the actual costs of devices and services are more obvious, Andoid is more popular than iOS. Alternatively, for some high end devices vendors lower their price for the carrier and then get a similar to Apple subsidy, but much lower profits.

 

Don't get me wrong, I see why Apple would ride their success as long as they can. But at least some of it is dictated by the preferences of the US carriers who influence end-user buying decisions, likely to capitalize on selling more of their services.

 

Why should I care that you think the Note is a different product? It's listed on AT&T's web site as a cell phone - and that's the function.


Personally, I consider it to be a worthless POS compared to the iPhone, but since AT&T considers it to be comparable, that's the way I'm comparing it. And, as I pointed out, the list price is the same as the iPhone and the subsidy is the same. Ergo, you are wrong.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

IIRC most top Android phones sell for less than the iPhone when bought unlocked and out of contract, when for the same phones via the carriers the prices are equal. Android vendors are essentially sponsoring Apple through the carriers. Which makes perfect sense if you look at the profits. Apple has positioned itself to be able to drive a good bargain from the carriers.

 

 

...and the carriers have bank balances that show that an iPhone will make them more money in a customer's hands than a "smart Android" phone will.

(Yes , I know, "Smart Android" is an oxymoron).

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #58 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

Why should I care that you think the Note is a different product? It's listed on AT&T's web site as a cell phone - and that's the function.

 

 

But but but, with a "Note" you get a free stylus that you can use to ream your ears, clean your fingernails, and do other body grooming functions!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #59 of 72

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

Why should I care that you think the Note is a different product? It's listed on AT&T's web site as a cell phone - and that's the function.


Personally, I consider it to be a worthless POS compared to the iPhone, but since AT&T considers it to be comparable, that's the way I'm comparing it. And, as I pointed out, the list price is the same as the iPhone and the subsidy is the same. Ergo, you are wrong.

 

Read the post above yours: your numbers are wrong. The 32GB iPhone is sold for $749 without commitment, and for $299 with; The Note goes for $649 w/o commitment and $299 with. So there's a $100 difference in the subsidy.

 

Ergo, you're wrong.

 

I should have checked your facts before trying to argue logic.

post #60 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Who gives a rat's ass. #1  #2  ... it's not like Apple is hurting and is going to go out of business tomorrow.

 

Besides, starting in the middle of October there will no longer be any question anyway... just in case anyone thinks it actually matters.

 

Well with Samsung releasing the Galaxy SGIII next month and the new Note in November as well as their soon TBA weird oval, egg phone that they just teased us with it will also be a very good year for Samsung. We will just have to wait and see, here is hoping Apple will release a larger screen display and a updated UI as that is the only way I would buy one.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #61 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

Read the post above yours: your numbers are wrong. The 32GB iPhone is sold for $749 without commitment, and for $299 with; The Note goes for $649 w/o commitment and $299 with. So there's a $100 difference in the subsidy.

 

Ergo, you're wrong.

 

I should have checked your facts before trying to argue logic.

 

Wow 650, the Note now runs for about 500 dollars here in Switzerland, 570 if you buy it from a telecom. The Nexus is now only 480, you guys are getting raped. Though the iPhone's are still up there here to running about 800. What I can't wait for is the Nokia 808, I just pre-ordered it last Tue. got it for 550. It will hopefully be my released from the hospital present to myself. 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #62 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

Read the post above yours: your numbers are wrong. The 32GB iPhone is sold for $749 without commitment, and for $299 with; The Note goes for $649 w/o commitment and $299 with. So there's a $100 difference in the subsidy.

 

Ergo, you're wrong.

 

I should have checked your facts before trying to argue logic.

 

As usual for AT&T, the price is different depending on where you're looking. If you log in to your account and look for the phones, you see a list price of $749 and a subsidized price of $299.

Of course, you can check other sites. Here's one where it's $813:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2032157&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=jXot6eVeYJg-fmW6SRDtUBun2ZuMeECl4g

 

So AT&T's subsidy may be even greater.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #63 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

 

 

Well with Samsung releasing the Galaxy SGIII next month and the new Note in November as well as their soon TBA weird oval, egg phone that they just teased us with it will also be a very good year for Samsung. We will just have to wait and see, here is hoping Apple will release a larger screen display and a updated UI as that is the only way I would buy one.

 


As of the end of January 2013 there will be no doubt remaining that Samsung is the #2 smartphone vendor... never to regain top spot again... if you actually care about that sort of crap.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #64 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

As usual for AT&T, the price is different depending on where you're looking. If you log in to your account and look for the phones, you see a list price of $749 and a subsidized price of $299.

Of course, you can check other sites. Here's one where it's $813:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2032157&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=jXot6eVeYJg-fmW6SRDtUBun2ZuMeECl4g

 

So AT&T's subsidy may be even greater.

 

Yeah I'm sorry no phone is worth $813 unless it's gold plated or signed by Steve Jobs. That is an insane amount of money considering how large the margains are on it, insane.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #65 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 


As of the end of January 2013 there will be no doubt remaining that Samsung is the #2 smartphone vendor... never to regain top spot again... if you actually care about that sort of crap.

 

I don't care who top dog is as long as the market becomes more balanced then it is now. Android and Apple have way to much market share I would love to see Windows Mobile, Mozilla's new OS and possibly Samsung's new Bada-Meego OS become players in the near future. We need more variety not less, I hate two party systems. Oh and you can't say never, none of us are oracles and if history has taught us nothing is forever. There is no doubt that Apple is riding a wave right but that wave will recede over time, that is a good thing to, no one company should have that much control over any one market. Even if it is Apple.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

 


As of the end of January 2013 there will be no doubt remaining that Samsung is the #2 smartphone vendor... never to regain top spot again... if you actually care about that sort of crap.

 

I don't care who top dog is as long as the market becomes more balanced then it is now. Android and Apple have way to much market share I would love to see Windows Mobile, Mozilla's new OS and possibly Samsung's new Bada-Meego OS become players in the near future. We need more variety not less, I hate two party systems. Oh and you can't say never, none of us are oracles and if history has taught us nothing is forever. There is no doubt that Apple is riding a wave right but that wave will recede over time, that is a good thing to, no one company should have that much control over any one market. Even if it is Apple.


It depends what do you mean by "forever" but it seems likely apple will do very well at least by end of this decade if not this century.
Well I should not go that far when 2012 dec is near (end of days). 1smile.gif

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #67 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

As usual for AT&T, the price is different depending on where you're looking. If you log in to your account and look for the phones, you see a list price of $749 and a subsidized price of $299.

Of course, you can check other sites. Here's one where it's $813:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2032157&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=jXot6eVeYJg-fmW6SRDtUBun2ZuMeECl4g

 

So AT&T's subsidy may be even greater.

 

Here's the link with AT&T pricing, and a snapshot of the page the way I see it:

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/index.jsp?device=Samsung+Galaxy+Note+(TM)+-+Carbon+Blue&q_sku=sku5610251#fbid=i4ayzB6DP97

 

http://i.imgur.com/MeM32.png

 

 

AT&T's prices are clearly $299 and $649, so their subsidy is $350 (which they also state by "You Save $350").

 

Stop making up lies to support a losing argument.

 

 

post #68 of 72

BTT: this is what Samsung reported:

 

 

□ Market : Demand decreased low teens% QoQ amid low seasonal demand
   - Demand for smartphones and feature phones decreased QoQ due to demand slowdown in developed markets
□ Samsung : Earnings increased significantly QoQ led by product mix improvement
   → Strong smartphone sales
   - Smartphone : Shipments increased across all regions, especially in the emerging markets
      · Steady sales of the existing models (Galaxy SII, Ace, Y, etc.) and sales expansion of high-end strategic models (Galaxy Note, LTE, etc.)
   - ASP increased QoQ led by product mix improvement
 
No sign of a 45 million blowout quarter.
post #69 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So when Apple reports they sold 35M iPhones in the quarter that number includes phones that haven't yet been sold to a consumer but were purchased by a reseller?  If that's the case how is that different than reporting a shipped number?
 

 

You have to now what happens to channel inventory. If channel inventory is unchanged, then the number of phones shipped is equal to the number sold to consumers. Apple's channel inventory is modest and relatively stable - and is reported quarterly so you can do the math yourself.

 

Other vendors don't report channel inventory, so it's impossible to know if they're stuffing the pipeline.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

 

But but but, with a "Note" you get a free stylus that you can use to ream your ears, clean your fingernails, and do other body grooming functions!

 

Sure, but with an iPhone, you get a liquidmetal SIM ejection tool.   :P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

Here's the link with AT&T pricing, and a snapshot of the page the way I see it:

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/index.jsp?device=Samsung+Galaxy+Note+(TM)+-+Carbon+Blue&q_sku=sku5610251#fbid=i4ayzB6DP97

 

http://i.imgur.com/MeM32.png

 

 

AT&T's prices are clearly $299 and $649, so their subsidy is $350 (which they also state by "You Save $350").

 

Stop making up lies to support a losing argument.

 

 

 

As I said (get someone to read it to you since you're having trouble comprehending it), AT&T has different prices in different parts of their site. If you're logged in to your account, the price they gave is $749.


Plus, as I showed, other sites have that phone for as much as $813.

In any event, it's a POS phone and is subsidized heavily. So the original claim that you're defending (that only Apple can get the carriers to subsidize phones heavily) is wrong. 

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #70 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

 

 

As I said (get someone to read it to you since you're having trouble comprehending it), AT&T has different prices in different parts of their site. If you're logged in to your account, the price they gave is $749.


Plus, as I showed, other sites have that phone for as much as $813.

In any event, it's a POS phone and is subsidized heavily. So the original claim that you're defending (that only Apple can get the carriers to subsidize phones heavily) is wrong. 

 

You said it, but provided zero evidence. If AT&T can sell the Note to a new user for $649, then that's their price. Citing prices of other random vendors is pointless and doesn't prove anything.

 

You're not a very gracious loser, are you?

post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

 

Read the post above yours: your numbers are wrong. The 32GB iPhone is sold for $749 without commitment, and for $299 with; The Note goes for $649 w/o commitment and $299 with. So there's a $100 difference in the subsidy.

 

Ergo, you're wrong.

 

I should have checked your facts before trying to argue logic.

 

Wow 650, the Note now runs for about 500 dollars here in Switzerland, 570 if you buy it from a telecom. The Nexus is now only 480, you guys are getting raped. Though the iPhone's are still up there here to running about 800. What I can't wait for is the Nokia 808, I just pre-ordered it last Tue. got it for 550. It will hopefully be my released from the hospital present to myself. 


That's exactly what I said, the one who's actually raped is the one who buy SG, or Note, the same or similar price of iPhone.
The most bad ass SG phone is $100 less than iPhone here (off contract). The cheapest Samsung smartphone is only $100. The 3GS? You have to have upward of $300 to buy this 3 years old phone. No wonder Samsung's number is great.
post #72 of 72

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

 

But but but, with a "Note" you get a free stylus that you can use to ream your ears, clean your fingernails, and do other body grooming functions!

 

Oh my gosh, I know it's gross but I've been using the pen to scratch the stitches under my bandages. I had surgery on my chest recently as I'm fighting breast cancer but that little pen has been a God send. I got to tell you worth the price of the phone. ;)

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Estimate claims Apple bested Samsung by 3M to remain top smartphone vendor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Estimate claims Apple bested Samsung by 3M to remain top smartphone vendor