or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest

RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest - Page 2

post #41 of 107

Ha ha... this RIM debacle showed off Apple's logo and even gave Samsung some press, so they had to come out and go, "Hey guys, we did it... you know, the guys that were once relevant, yeah, really, it was us. Guys? yoo-hoo?"

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #42 of 107

The new BlackBerry 10 will be a cool phone! The "Wake Up" is a reference to an App for cooking bacon on the back of the phone when it is placed face down on a table.

Cubist
Cubist
post #43 of 107

They must have been very disappointed that everyone suspected it was Samsung lol

post #44 of 107

Nate "Blunty" Burr has never been a RIM's employee... this information is incorrect. See his youtube channel 'Blunty3000', he has clearly said its incorrect. He has never worked for Blackberry... its all rubbish.

post #45 of 107

But he did say he was warned about what was going to happen by RIM in advance... just so you guys know :)

post #46 of 107
RIM is obviously trying desperately to stay relevant.
And the Captcha here needs to evolve.
What a f**king joke! I almost couldn't comment because of this bullshit!
post #47 of 107

Thorsten Heins.

This is not the way to bring RIM back from the dead.

Great products sell themselves. Hiring a "polarizing" ad agency to put a bullet in your head will not help you sell products that does not exist. Haven't you learned at all from your predecessors?

Amateur hour is not over it seems.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #48 of 107

What RIM didn't realize is that it is actually seem a self promo from the ad company they hired, but RIM paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, i think it was pretty safe to say that RIM is over and done with.  I think it is upper management at RIM that needs to WAKE UP! and concede that their platform is over and done with.  These kind of marketing tactics are just plain childish.  I guess they really are desperate.  

post #49 of 107

In a best case (and highly unlikely) scenario for RIM, they release a new phone that has features, quality and UI design on par with Apple at the same price point. Now who's going to invest in this product given their nonexistent app marketplace, especially since most of their target customers have already invested in the Apple or Android platform?

The enterprise? Unlikely. Companies that were die-hard Microsoft/Blackberry shops have happily embraced there iPhone and iPad as their employees have demanded them, to the point of bringing their own devices for work. Only a small and rapidly vanishing minority of dinosaurs still prefer Blackberry phones - usually the sort of people who always cling to outdated technology because they dislike change.

RIM will be out of business in less than a year or absorbed by some other company. My prediction is that their stock plummets massively shortly after the announcement of their next next phone fails to impress anyone.

Edited by freediverx - 5/1/12 at 4:02am
post #50 of 107
What's funny and pathetic at the same time, is that nobody suspected them at first....as if, they are not in people's minds anymore.
This silly thing they're doing, reminds me of when my 4 year old cries for attention.
post #51 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMyTstDummy View Post

It may be worth waiting to see what RIM actually come up with before we start saying how crap the new OS will be. Don't forget Apple was almost dead before SJ turned everything around. This could be a new beginning for RIM... or the final nail in the coffin.

Ignoring for the moment the fact that you just created this account, Apple was a visionary company long before they introduced the iPhone. Many, including myself, were dying for them to introduce a mobile phone and disrupt the market - which is exactly what they did. Are you suggesting that there's any evidence that RIM is this type of company and that they will soon introduce a product that will leapfrog so far ahead of Apple that millions will not hesitate to switch?

My sympathies if you're a RIM employee.

post #52 of 107
I'm not so sure insulting people is the way to get them to switch. Wake up? Beta testing smartphones? Sheep in line?

And RIM? Maybe the message was to their own engineers?
post #53 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhania dev View Post

Nate "Blunty" Burr has never been a RIM's employee... this information is incorrect. See his youtube channel 'Blunty3000', he has clearly said its incorrect. He has never worked for Blackberry... its all rubbish.

Ah, another RIM shill who created a fresh account just to post in their defense.
post #54 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinstar View Post

RIM is obviously trying desperately to stay relevant.
And the Captcha here needs to evolve.
What a f**king joke! I almost couldn't comment because of this bullshit!

I think they're actually under the delusion that 1) they have a great product or 2) that attention-grabbing marketing spectacles is all it takes to get people to buy a product.
post #55 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post

What a total Microsoft move.

Insult the 'idiots' who bought your competitors product - and then tell them to buy yours instead

thus proving their original point?!

Look on the bright side. Samsung copied this idea from Microsoft rather than from Apple. They're spreading their theft around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Those weren't that bad.

From your link... "​The two then act out a brief vignette, in which the capabilities and attributes of Mac and PC are compared"

Were they snarky?  Absolutely.  But the message was comparison... not outright criticism.  At least Apple tried to teach you something about their product.

Apple's "Get a Mac" ads were in better taste than these mock protests from RIM or the Samsunged commercials.  And who can forget Microsoft's iPhone funeral?  Or the "Smartphone Beta Test" ?

I still get a chuckle out of RIM proclaiming "Amateur Hour is Over"  lol.gif

Indeed it is...

The "I'm a Mac" ads may have been one of the most successful ad campaigns ever in terms of attracting new customers to Apple. Look at Apple's Mac sales growth. It coincides with theses ads. While that is clearly not causation, Apple's approach to the market was clearly working at the time - and the ads were part of it. 

Granted, Mac haters went out of their way to despise the ads, but among the general public, they were well received. Since Apple has no real hope of getting the haters to buy their product, there is no point in even trying.

The entire set of ads are available here:
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/apples-get-mac-complete-campaign-130552?page=1

I enjoyed looking them over again.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look at Apple's Mac sales growth. It coincides with theses ads. While that is clearly not causation, Apple's approach to the market was clearly working at the time - and the ads were part of it. 

Granted, Mac haters went out of their way to despise the ads, but among the general public, they were well received. Since Apple has no real hope of getting the haters to buy their product, there is no point in even trying.

This is the same reason Samsung is probably unconcerned whether long-time Apple fans like their ads or not. They aren't likely to buy a Samsung mobile product anyway. Also like Apple's Mac vs PC campaign, the latest rounds of Samsung ads coincide with over 200% growth in mobile products delivery YOY, best in the industry. They're making the right calls for now based on current mobile success.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #57 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

People only cared because they thought it was Samsung.  Now no one will give a damn about the "reveal" at the end anyway.

This kind of ad campaign annoys me anyway.  As far as I'm concerned for ads, announce the product or go home.  Don't make an ad campaign to announce the announcement.  I'm not going to anticipate a vague announcement.

post #58 of 107

I was actually surprised that Samsung wasn't behind this weird marketing campaign, considering that the Samsung Galaxy SIII was going to be unveiled very soon anyway. From what I've read, the Galaxy SIII is supposed to be a really good cellphone, too.

post #59 of 107

Not really surprised.  The New York Times article on corporate taxes isn't news unless they make it about Apple, the Greenpeace dirty energy campaign doesn't get mass attention until they focus on Apple, efforts to promote worker rights in China are tied to Apple, and RIM needs to advertise Apple to get people to look at their phones.  Bottomline: if you need attention for your cause or product, make it about Apple.

post #60 of 107

If measured strictly based on getting people to talk about your brand (which is the ad agency's claim to fame), then it is a good promo piece for Samsung, and they didn't even have to pay for it-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

I was actually surprised that Samsung wasn't behind this weird marketing campaign, considering that the Samsung Galaxy SIII was going to be unveiled very soon anyway. From what I've read, the Galaxy SIII is supposed to be a really good cellphone, too.

Edited by uguysrnuts - 5/1/12 at 5:10am
post #61 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

It's still powered by Android and the whole "I think I can" or "good enough" mentality that goes along with it.

Yes, D on a report card is a passing grade too, but who really aspires to getting that?

post #62 of 107

Wow.  Really, Research in Motion....REALLY?  You send people out with signs to "protest" at an Apple store and mock its customers?  For realz?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #63 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Maybe it could be a successful campaign if RIM is talking about themselves - that they are the one in need of waking up (from the nightmare that has been the past 5 years since the iPhone was launched).

In this already thinning marketplace, where Apple and Android rule, while even MS fights to remain viable, RIM has what I suspect is an insurmountable challenge in front of it.  They'd need to have the perfect storm of great OS with no issues, big uptake by developers and a way to stem the tide of defectors, even among the [boneheaded] financial and political communities and some competitive, if not groundbreaking, new hardware.  I'm not a betting man, but the odds are really not in their favor given the misses they've had on all fronts the past few years.

It's not like they've all of a sudden had that "aha" moment and now they're going to right all the wrongs they've had. Sure, they've chopped the head off the monster, but what they're left with isn't going to be great or maybe even good.  It would take years to get things not just up to speed but ahead of any competitor if they could hire some creative engineers.

I mostly agree with you, though, this was also said of Apple in the late 90s. Even I, as a loyal Mac user, was feeling the hurt (wish I'd bought stock then!), and now Apple is the biggest company in the world. So, strange things can happen. But, for Apple, it took a truly visionary leader, and powerful, driven team to make it happen. I think part of Apple's success is driven by the passion of the Apple folks. Apple is not just a company they work for, it's part of who they are. Yes, some executives and employees have been lured away by other companies, and I'm sure for some, it's "just a job", but I think most folks are proud of what they do. Now, if RIM can instill that level of pride and passion into their company and product development, they might have some hope of turning things around, but now they just seem desperate.

the big problem as I see it, is that everybody in waterloo (Not just RIM) makes excuses for them, thus they live in a bubble.

first the Iphone sucks, then the apple hate the "were better than apple... lets copy them", then they release the storm, torch, (which were probably copies of apple prototype with a keyboard) and finally in a fit of hubris release the playbook... which even if it is just-good-enough at 200 dollars, was unfit-for-consumption-at-the-original-price-of-500.

i still don't know why they released the playbook with build in studdering... when the Ipad was a model of fluid menus... (why-o-why could they not copy the fluidness of the iPad... had they done that then they might of had a shot) ... the answer is they did not do the work and instead allowed "FLASH" to do the work...

the this hour has 23 minutes (a CBC news/satire/comedy show skit mocking RIM ala "hells kitchen" is what RIM really needed in RIM headquarters...

if RIM would stop pandering to customers they don't have, and instead make products that the existing customers want, they may be able to prosper in a canadian sense.
post #64 of 107

Well what do you expect when you hire an ad agency whose sole claim to fame is to get people talking about your brand any way they can? They (the ad agency) never did promise the attention will be a positive one, or that they could mistake your ad for someone else.

http://www.tongue.com.au/what-we-do

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Wow.  Really, Research in Motion....REALLY?  You send people out with signs to "protest" at an Apple store and mock its customers?  For realz?  

post #65 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And the moron who goes by the name of "Blunty" is the same moron who posted a three part review of the Blackberry Playbook. What a coincidence. Needless to say, it was a very positive and glowing review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGlY0nQlhk

Just like those 1-post wonders on the forums that register to post "I'm a long time apple user with a <apple-product> and I recently got a <competitor-product> and I have to honestly say I'm floored! The amazing <competitor-product-story> blew me away! Blah blah blah" never to be heard from again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought that Samsung's recent commercials were pretty lame, but this RIM stunt just takes the cake. How utterly pathetic and totally desperate. Actually sending a mob to picket in front of a store? This is lower than low.

I think it's a cry for help lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #66 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, they're going to try to convince Australians that "going bankrupt, being quickly abandoned, and existing without purpose, drive, or vision" now 'means' "being in business".

Irony upon irony eh? I bet RIM shareholders wish the management at RIM had woken up about five years ago! lol.gif

Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #67 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Irony upon irony eh? I bet RIM shareholders wish the management at RIM had woken up about five years ago! lol.gif

Research in slow motion apparently.lol.gif

post #68 of 107

Yes, I can see the advertising now.

WAKE UP AND LOOK AT MY RIM.

post #69 of 107

Oh the irony of RIM using a "Wake Up" ad campaign!

post #70 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhk View Post

Isn't Samsung the world's number one phone maker now?

Boy, you use the term "world's number one phone maker" very broadly -- that has implications that they provide the best phone out there. Possibly what you meant to say was that Samsung shipped the most phones -- wrong again, that would still be our friendly norskies Nokia I believe.

I think a bit of research and rereading is required before you next post.

ROTFL!

post #71 of 107

I think they protesters missed the mark. They should have been doing this at RIM HQ -- if anyone has been caught asleep at the wheel its RIM.

post #72 of 107

Relying on all the Media publications and attention to announce their best products released so far has not worked to have public take them seriously. This may be their last resort to save them from BB Bankruptcy.

post #73 of 107

To paraphrase Leon Kowalski (Brion James, "Blade Runner," 1982):

"Wake up, RIM.  Time to die."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #74 of 107

It was a marketing stunt and everyone on this board, and most tech media, fell for it. I'd say it worked as planned.

post #75 of 107

To those who said Samsung was lying. Eat your own words.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

"Samsung Electronics Australia has nothing to do with the Wake-Up Campaign," the company said in a statement.

However, Samsung Electronics South Korea does.... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Samsung is obviously lying though.  Other than Microsoft who else would it be but Samsung?  

Microsoft usually owns up to this kind of stuff when they do it.  Ergo: It's Samsung and they are just lying.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

"Samsung Electronics Australia has nothing to do with..."

I'm suspicious of that (and the specificity of that statement). This seems quite like their recent advertising campaign, but it takes some balls to come out and say you had nothing to do with it when there's a good chance it will be traced back to you if you did. Some kind of entity was behind this. Quite coordinated. Some money changed hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Samsung: "It wasn't us. We swear!"
Everbody else: "{COUGHS}Bullsh*t!{COUGHS}"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What total bullshit! Samsung was absolutely behind it. And why is the ignorant press calling this a "flash mob". It WAS NOT A FLASH MOB. It was a publicity stunt with paid "actors" and has nothing to do with a flash mob so please quit showing your ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I can't help but think Samsung is behind every second of this. I've seen the products in person standing side by side with the Apple counterparts and it has always been an exact duplicate in more than one area. Their latest laptop, that is identical to a matte screen macbook pro in every way (apart from having a numerical pad) is so obviously a copy its painful. I have products from loads of different vendors and I'm happy with all of them but I refuse to buy from Samsung. They are the only company I know of who's antics would not be out of place in a 90s action film - you know, the evil mega-corporation who's evil and has a CEO who laughs like a panto-villian! MUWAHAHAHA!

Hot Dog is an American phrase coined at a baseball game :)

lol

I bet none of these folks would be posting on this thread. :D

Edited by Galbi - 5/1/12 at 2:48pm

post #77 of 107

laughing at all the sheep who called Samsung liars after Samsung denied responsibility.   

post #78 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

It was a marketing stunt and everyone on this board, and most tech media, fell for it. I'd say it worked as planned.

I'm not sure I follow that logic. It seems most people thought it was at best dumb and at worst insulting to potential customers. Everyone assumed it was Samsung, and nobody ended up talking about RIM. That cannot have been the plan, right?

post #79 of 107

Every now and then you see a dying man who decides to be an asshat right before the end. Kind of spoils the melancholy of his passing. But whatever.

post #80 of 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

laughing at all the sheep who called Samsung liars after Samsung denied responsibility.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

To those who said Samsung was lying. Eat your own words.

I wasn't one of them, but I'll say "so what?" 

The fact is that it was lame attempt to get attention that didn't work. Maybe they should have spent the money having a fake funeral, instead. 

Or waited a year or two and had a real one for RIM.

Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest